[VIDEO] Idiots Guide - How to Install Cyanogenmod 7 Android Alpha on HP Touchpad

Search This thread

phnx_chckn

May 18, 2011
San Francisco
i have preware and a number of patches installed currently. is it safe to install the cm7 build while these are installed? or do i have to restore to factory before attempting android install? thx in advance

Safidk

Jun 19, 2011
I had the same, and installed CM7 without any problems. So I say, just go for it - you gonna love it. If you have any problems installing just ask, and Ill see if I can help (and if I cant, theres about 100 others who can)

reggie cheeks

May 5, 2011
Lake Tapps
Wow rev thanks.. up and running and glad to see so many apps working. Easy stuff with your video.

Sent from my HP Touchpad using Tapatalk

cc-max

Dec 21, 2008
WARNING!!!!

DO NOT TRY TO INSTALL THIS WHILE YOU HAVE AN PARTITION FOR UBUNTU ON YOUR DEVICE

ACME will crash.

Deltido

Oct 7, 2010
does this work with f4 phantom kernel installed?

Yep, I believe the kernal has nothing to do with the android installation, Android has it's own kernel. I have F4 Phantom installed and am having no issues what so ever -- other than the ones that everyone else is having due it's alpha state:p

Once installed you will be able to choose between android and HP's Web OS after rebooting the device.

Reactions: elimherr

scrizz

Inactive Recognized Developer
Apr 9, 2010
Tampa, FL
If you need a video guide to move 4 files onto a usb drive, run a program in CMD prompt/Terminal, then you really shouldn't be running Alpha software.

THIS^^

people seriously need to research heavily before doing something they don't understand.

all these things have the potential to turn your precious electronics into expensive paperweights. That goes for anything.
It would be careless to do something without having an understanding of the task at hand.
:)

scrizz

Apr 9, 2010
Tampa, FL
We all were Noobs at sometime in the not so distant past!

I'm getting tired of people using this BS as an excuse for reckless behavior.
Modding/Using something foreign to you without first knowing how it works is being reckless.

We were all new a some point in time.
Just that there are usually instructions with anything you buy or directions on how to perform a procedure. It is called being prudent.

Would you perform surgery on someone without knowing everything that is involved in surgery?

Would you let someone who doesn't know how to drive a car onto the road?

Would you let someone that doesn't know how to cook prepare a meal for you?

I can go on and on.

So why would you risk damaging you precious $$$ device?

Read the directions/manuals and ask questions if you don't understand something. When you fully understand what you are doing and all accompanying risks, then you should proceed with caution.
;)

Being a noob is not an excuse for negligence.

fattire

Oct 11, 2010
www.eff.org
Yep, I believe the kernal has nothing to do with the android installation, Android has it's own kernel. I have F4 Phantom installed and am having no issues what so ever -- other than the ones that everyone else is having due it's alpha state:p

Once installed you will be able to choose between android and HP's Web OS after rebooting the device.

Actually it might be a good idea to remove it as there is a limited amount of space in the /boot partition, so if you've got a ton of kernels or other stuff in there, there may not be enough space left for moboot and cm7's uimage. Shouldn't be an issue if you've only added one kernel though, but just sayin'...

reverendkjr

Nov 7, 2009
Cincinnati, OH
www.youtube.com
My reply to all of you is this:

THOUSANDS of people bought these CLEARANCE tablets with the intention of getting Android on them. It would be different if this was a $500 tablet and people actually cared about the value. I know that I wouldn't have bought it for anymore than the $100 I spent, and that makes it more of a TOY than anything.

I say that if people want to flash this, there is no reason why it can't be easy. Hundreds of people are saying "Thank you" because they wouldn't have been able to do this without my video. To them, I say "You're Welcome." To the rest of you, if this video bothers you, don't watch it.

Noobs will always exist, I'm just trying to do my part in helping them de-noobify themselves. (is that a word? Well, it is now.) Some of you act like you have to EARN the right to flash this. I don't understand that. People understand the risk and make their decision based on their level of comfort. If I screw something up, I ask for help. If YOU screw something up, YOU ask for help. I think that is the whole purpose of these communities. For those of you who are saying that my video is causing people to come out of the woodwork and ask stupid questions... I say deal with it. Again, what gives you more of a right to try this alpha than anybody else?

Every time you light a match, just remember... the cavemen had to use sticks.

The Reverend has stepped down from his pulpit. Go in peace, my children.

Last edited:

scrizz

Apr 9, 2010
Tampa, FL

MY reply wasn't necesarily for the TP
It goes for phones, PCs etc...
I actually pay full price for my phones... and I'm not rich :p

I never said people shouldn't flash.
Go and reread my post.
I'm merely telling people to use their heads.
That is all.

also I didn't complain about your video so idk where that came from.

Last edited:

reverendkjr

Nov 7, 2009
Cincinnati, OH
www.youtube.com
MY reply wasn't necesarily for the TP
It goes for phones, PCs etc...
I actually pay full price for my phones... and I'm not rich :p

I never said people shouldn't flash.
Go and reread my post.
I'm merely telling people to use their heads.
That is all.

also I didn't complain about your video so idk where that came from.

I know scrizz, my rant was NOT directed at you, that's why I didn't quote ya. There were others saying stuff that I felt needed to be addressed. CHeerS!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    We all were Noobs at sometime in the not so distant past!

I'm getting tired of people using this BS as an excuse for reckless behavior.
    Modding/Using something foreign to you without first knowing how it works is being reckless.

We were all new a some point in time.
    Just that there are usually instructions with anything you buy or directions on how to perform a procedure. It is called being prudent.

Would you perform surgery on someone without knowing everything that is involved in surgery?

Would you let someone who doesn't know how to drive a car onto the road?

Would you let someone that doesn't know how to cook prepare a meal for you?

I can go on and on.

So why would you risk damaging you precious $$$ device?

Read the directions/manuals and ask questions if you don't understand something. When you fully understand what you are doing and all accompanying risks, then you should proceed with caution.
    ;)

Being a noob is not an excuse for negligence.
    If you need a video guide to move 4 files onto a usb drive, run a program in CMD prompt/Terminal, then you really shouldn't be running Alpha software.
    WARNING!!!!

DO NOT TRY TO INSTALL THIS WHILE YOU HAVE AN PARTITION FOR UBUNTU ON YOUR DEVICE

ACME will crash.

That is not true.
    does this work with f4 phantom kernel installed?