[Q] No haptic feedback ("vibrate on touch") in Galaxy Nexus

Search This thread

TaliKa

May 2, 2012
Hi everyone,

I've looked for a solution all over the net, but seems like no one had this problem before (guess i'm a special girl...):

The vibrate feedback when touching the screen just stopped working, in spite of the settings under "settings -> sounds -> vibrate on touch".

It started after an update to AOKP rom - milestone 5 (based on ICS 4.0.4) + Franco kernel nightly r151, but effects all the other roms. Maybe one untouched system file damaged.

I've tried everything: restore from previous nandroid backup, another rom (CM9), another kernel, another launcher, I even wiped everything and flashed new and clean rom-stock from google developers' page. And yet - no vibrate feedback.

The wired thing is that the haptic feedback is working in few specific applications, like the build-in ICS keyboard and the dialer Dialer-One, so it probably not some hardware failure.
All this time there are five softkeys that still have haptic feedback: the buttons of the nav-bar, the button that opens the applications drawer and the google-search widget.

I've tried using "KickBack" instead, but it's too aggressive and very uncomfortable.

PLEASE, PLEASE - Help me!:confused:

taappel

Mar 8, 2011
Same thing happened to me. I had the exact same setup and the haptic feedback went away after I flashed the kernel. Since I've had lots of issues when trying custom kernels, I just restored a nandroid and went back to the kernel included with aokp.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA

taappel

Mar 8, 2011
Restore fixed my issue, so I'm not sure exactly what to tell you.

Reactions: TaliKa

Sveke

Oct 16, 2010
Connecticut
Some kernels have haptic adjustment, see pic for kernel does.

I'm running Franco 152 and mines fine.

I know trinity kernels lower it

TaliKa

May 2, 2012
Some kernels have haptic adjustment, see pic for kernel does.

I'm running Franco 152 and mines fine.

I know trinity kernels lower it

I'm also using Franco kernel, but I don't think this is the problem because i've tried some other kernels and none of them fixed my haptic.

nich0145

Apr 1, 2012
Hi TaliKa

I've just had this problem myself but it happens long after I flashed aokp m5 + franco r152 (too) so I'm not exactly sure what caused it. However after I went to clear my cache and dalvik cache, everything seems fine again.

TaliKa

May 2, 2012
Hi TaliKa

I've just had this problem myself but it happens long after I flashed aokp m5 + franco r152 (too) so I'm not exactly sure what caused it. However after I went to clear my cache and dalvik cache, everything seems fine again.

Thanks guys, but as I wrote in the first msg, those actions didn't help.

Is there any pro here who can offer a profound solution that I didn't tried before?

takomar

Jul 25, 2011
+1
just wanted to say...exactly the same thing happened to me (started with aokp milestone 5 and vibration gone afterwards...)

im trying several things to get it back...i use it alot (at work and most of the time..its on vibrate)

hopefully we'll find a solution

Dacian

Dec 20, 2007
Yeah this just happened to me too. It was working fine for awhile on AOKP and then all of a sudden it stopped. No idea what happened exactly. I tried whiping everything and restoring CM9 but that didn't work either. I thought maybe hardware but the phone vibrated on boot so it isn't that. Hopefully we find a fix...

TaliKa

May 2, 2012
+1
just wanted to say...exactly the same thing happened to me (started with aokp milestone 5 and vibration gone afterwards...)

im trying several things to get it back...i use it alot (at work and most of the time..its on vibrate)

hopefully we'll find a solution

Yeah this just happened to me too. It was working fine for awhile on AOKP and then all of a sudden it stopped. No idea what happened exactly. I tried whiping everything and restoring CM9 but that didn't work either. I thought maybe hardware but the phone vibrated on boot so it isn't that. Hopefully we find a fix...

unfortunately I didn't get any solution yet. Realy depressing.

I promise to update about any progress, and hope you'll both do the same...

Just don't give up! it isn't hardware thing, so there must be solution somewhere.

Last edited:

takomar

Jul 25, 2011

Just don't give up! it isn't hardware thing, so there must be solution somewhere.

im starting to believe its a hardware issue (well at least for me) i mean i dont even get a vibration upon booting or turning off the phone...and i even went back to full stock...same thing

maybe it might have been some software issue that led to the overburning of the motor(doubt that though)
what is weird though is that the same scenario happened to us so im lost...

maybe i should start talking to samsung for my replacement

meanwhile...im very open to suggestions that might help my case

hope we find something soon...u guys, does it vibrate at all?when u turn on ur phone?turn off? unlock ?

TaliKa

May 2, 2012
hope we find something soon...u guys, does it vibrate at all?when u turn on ur phone?turn off? unlock ?

Yes, it vibrates at boot and also when using application with it's own vibrate settings, like "dialer one" for example.

Did you try using KickBack just to check the hardware?

if it's some hardware issue, maybe you can apply to your warranty supplier about that, just flash stock rom and relock your device before.

takomar

Jul 25, 2011
Yes, it vibrates at boot and also when using application with it's own vibrate settings, like "dialer one" for example.

Did you try using KickBack just to check the hardware?

if it's some hardware issue, maybe you can apply to your warranty supplier about that, just flash stock rom and relock your device before.

thats what im gonna do i guess...such a sad day...

i couldnt find KickBack, its not available in my accessibility menu nor in my market (i live in France)
i tried googling an apk but nothing for android 4.0
do you have a link for it?

TaliKa

May 2, 2012

Dacian

Dec 20, 2007

Good to know. I went ahead and flashed the base image and it restored vibration, then I rooted and flashed AOKP again. It worked for about that day and then this morning when I woke up the vibration is gone again. I'm almost positive it's AOKP's software. I'll test another ROM (Android Revolution) for a day and see if it happens again.

TaliKa

May 2, 2012
I'm almost positive it's AOKP's software. I'll test another ROM (Android Revolution) for a day and see if it happens again.

Which kernel do you use? and did you set the quite hours on?

If you succeed to restore the vibrate, i'd like to hear exact instructions how to do that, including links to download the boot image, if you plesae...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Restore fixed my issue, so I'm not sure exactly what to tell you.

I used quiet hours on AOKP, and i suspicious that what cause the vibration problem. not sure though.

So Dacian, how did you get your haptic feedback back?

I downloaded and flashed the Stock Google imm76i ROM through the GNex Toolkit, then I rerooted through the toolkit and flashed Apex. Everything is working great, Apex is a great alternative to AOKP, the only thing missing is Quiet hours, which makes me think that's it exactly. AOKP's quiet hours kills the vibration during and after they are set.