All cast .avi video support from my android

Search This thread

ironmaskusa

Jul 25, 2011
USA
I'm finding that I can't cast .avi files with Allcast. Will there's be any support? Mp4 files are tye only vireo types I see. Further more, I've tried a lot of other cast apps for .avi files on my android nexus 7 and they just give a black screen and broken audio. Anyone had any success? Do tell! :p

Thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

bhiga

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 13, 2010
I'm finding that I can't cast .avi files with Allcast. Will there's be any support? Mp4 files are tye only vireo types I see. Further more, I've tried a lot of other cast apps for .avi files on my android nexus 7 and they just give a black screen and broken audio. Anyone had any success? Do tell! :p
Most AVI files do not contain MPEG-4 video (AVI is a container like MKV and MOV), so they would require some kind of transcoding which is heavy for a mobile processor.

nimanlk

Jun 13, 2014
AVI is well known as a multimedia container format and still takes up a large proportion among the famous video formats just like MP4, MOV, and WMV today. Unfortunately, such a popular format is unsupported by Android Phones or Tablets so far. According to Android Official Website, only MP4, 3GP, MKV, WebM are the compatible formats with Android. Is it impossible to play AVI on Android? No, of course not. There is still a silver lining - convert AVI to Android supported formats for playback with Mod Edit: commercial software removed.

Last edited by a moderator:

xlxcrossing

Dec 6, 2009
Soquel, CA
.avi hasn't historically hasnt been the go to format for high quality or HD sources with h.264 or h.265 encoding. Besides mp4, mkv supports this so look for this format to become the norm moving forward, .avi is a bit of a dying format.

neu - smurph

May 14, 2013
Google Pixel 4a
Not casting from local media on the device, but Plex Media Server + Plex App handles transcoding and casting of my old collection of DivX and Xvid encoded .AVIs (hosted on the Media Server) with no issues. Still slowly running them through Handbrake to a Chromecast native format though.

sbrandes

Oct 5, 2010
Steaming AVI through Allcast

I am able to stream AVI file from Google Drive without a problem. Why not be able to do the exact same thing through Allcast?

mattyyey

Mar 28, 2010
Manchester
avi does work with this encoding

I was messing with this yesterday, I couldnt get a film to cast, I tried solid explorer cast & all cast & video stream from my pc (last 1 loaded but was unwatchable). I dont have root on the chromecast. So I found 1 .avi film worked and 2 didnt. Upon inspection of encoding of the video and audio INSIDE the avi files, I found it only appears to support x264. Also framerate below 30, bitrate below 6000 makes it watchable (that might be because i have an older ovation tablet). As for audio I was using aac (any bitrate upto 256). Also I had it set on high quality video, which in anyvideoconverter means lower compression and larger file size. Once in that format, it would cast perfectly from any app, pc or mobile.

summery:
*.avi
x264 encoding
<6000 (and inc.) video bitrate
<30 fps

aac audio
<256 (and inc.) audio bitrate.

low compression

Last edited:

munze87

Jan 27, 2010
I have found a free app that lets me cast avi from my phone. Search play store for Megacast. It can bug sometimes, but in most of the cases does the job nicely.