[Q] Just got 4.4.2 ATT Note 3 N900AUC. Rooting options?

Search This thread

stanleyopar2000

Mar 29, 2011
hello everyone! today I just got my Note 3 N900a. with 4.4.2 KK today.I would like to root but I don't really know where to start as I don't want to brick this device. my G Pro is rooted and custom flashed but this is my first time dealing with Knox. so I have a few questions before I dive in:

1. Will Kingo root my Note 3 and not trip knox or UVDLV work better?..what about CF-Autoroot?.I heard sammy caught on so it might not work..but I saw that it will work but still trip knox? i'm rather confused here.. My AP is N900AUCUCNC2.

2. IF I DO GET ROOT PRIVILEGES. I know that I can't flash a custom recovery and there is an ongoing bounty to unlock the bootloader. So is it safe to use safetrap and will it affect knox? Or will safestrap remove my Recovery? (On my old S4 I did the mistake of Goomanagering a recovery and wiped my stock recovery but It still worked fine haha..just couldn't update or it would go into ODIN loop..which I could get out of) I will probably want to flash a custom de-bloated KK TW ROM if I do get the chance. I used safestrap on my old Razr M but is it different now? I sound like a total idiot right now but before the Note 3 I pretty much am a confident android power user but what scares me is that while I was using my G Pro, my friend from work had a Note 3 and he bricked it and now he's stuck using his Note 2. I don't want to make a critical mistake. If a more experienced user could guide me and show me what my options are or what I have to work with I would love you forever! XD

lildoggs

Jul 16, 2009
New York
Sorry man. We're all stuck on the official kitkat with out root for now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

stanleyopar2000

Mar 29, 2011
No root for 4.4.2 yet so you can't do anything

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

well this is a turn of events..my wife's white note 3 was 4.3 and the black one is 4.4.2. She knows that i'm a frequent rooter and that she was also debating getting the black one at the store. Plus she liked the B&W statusbar colors. So instead so I took her white one. She has the non-rootable 4.4.2 phone (she's not that much of a power user)...so now I have 4.3 to use...is THIS exploitable? my N900a Note 3's AP ends in MJ5.

Last edited:

jerrycoffman45

Sep 19, 2011
ashland ky
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
well this is a turn of events..my wife's white note 3 was 4.3 and the black one is 4.4.2. She knows that i'm a frequent rooter and that she was also debating getting the black one at the store. Plus she liked the B&W statusbar colors. So instead so I took her white one. She has the non-rootable 4.4.2 phone (she's not that much of a power user)...so now I have 4.3 to use...is THIS exploitable? my N900a Note 3's AP ends in MJ5.

yes look for kingo in the general thread

Reactions: stanleyopar2000

stanleyopar2000

Mar 29, 2011
there are 2 different versions of safestrap one for kitkat one for jb just make sure you get 3.71 and you can flash any jb rom in here to go to a kitkat rom you have to flash some files with odin there is a thread for that

Thanks much! and i'm probably going to stay on 4.3 until 4.4.2 becomes more exploitable. Once you go KK you can never go back!

jerrycoffman45

Sep 19, 2011
ashland ky
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
oh! so I can flash KK and JB roms (via safestrap) and go back and forth anytime I like...so it's not like safestrap on the Droid Razr where users were locked into ICS from GB even from a custom ROM..gotcha!

no you cant say flash a kk rom then just flash a jb rom to go back it is a little more involved than that but it is not hard I would suggest you do a lot of reading first to get a kk rom read this http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2712039

Reactions: Jim Dead

stanleyopar2000

Mar 29, 2011
no you cant say flash a kk rom then just flash a jb rom to go back it is a little more involved than that but it is not hard I would suggest you do a lot of reading first to get a kk rom read this http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2712039

welp! got SuperSU so that's good and, yeah i'm just going to stay at 4.3 for now with a stock debloated touchwiz...but when I install SafesStrap knox's phucking "prevention information" with an app being forced to stop crap is coming up...so I take it that It wasn't successful?

jerrycoffman45

Sep 19, 2011
ashland ky
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
yeah i'm just going to stay at 4.3 for now with a stock debloated touchwiz...but when I install SafesStrap knox's phucking "prevention information" is coming up...so I take it that It wasn't successful?

I assume you rooted did you check install from unknown sources under settings then security also you need to open the app and install recovery

stanleyopar2000

Mar 29, 2011
I assume you rooted did you check install from unknown sources under settings then security also you need to open the app and install recovery

yeah looks like it worked anyway...lol I rebooted and it worked and safestrap came up..even though there is no custom ROM ..yet ;)...but when i start up there is a giant lock that says CUSTOM on the splashscreen. was knox tripped??

stanleyopar2000

Mar 29, 2011
No just means your rooted you can hide it with triangle away or Wanam exposed module

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

cool, I remember I had to do that on my S3 when I used EZ-Unlocker. Now in regards to this ROM (which is the one i'm looking at)

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2714601

It requires 4.4.2 and rooted. I'm on 4.3 and rooted. If 4.4.2 is unrootable right now..how would I do it?..how would I go from 4.3 rooted to 4.4.3 and not be tied down?

I know the leaked non-official KK doesn't lock you down to KK and the AT&T version permanently does.

Last edited:

jerrycoffman45

Sep 19, 2011
ashland ky
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra

stanleyopar2000

Mar 29, 2011
gotcha..so Odin is what we're going to use..thanks! i'm going to do that now...

jerrycoffman45 and YRC123 thank you so much for helping me along the way! I have now the S5 experience with a rooted 4.4.2 and I couldn't be happier. I couldn't have done any of this without you. Users like yourself is why I keep coming back to XDA again and again :)(

Reactions: jerrycoffman45

Top Liked Posts