[n00bs][How-to] Flash Custom Kernels and Roms

Search This thread

axeslinger34

Apr 19, 2013
I'm trying to flash the Tigris v1.2.1 kernel to my Neo L which is already rooted and unlocked BL. I have all the ADB drivers properly installed in my Win XP machine. Everytime I try to flash the said kernel using fastboot, the command prompt for fastboot quickly disappears. I've been trying and re-trying for the nth time, to no avail. This is so frustrating. Anyone know the fix or workaround to this? Appreciate your help.

happy420

Apr 27, 2013
Greater NW
finding my way

Thank you for reading post.

I just was looking around on the forums again and trying to find something else I can root or make better. When it hit me I have a insignia ns-42e859a11 that was one of the only tv that run chumby apps. I just happen to have more then a couple and would be willing to part with one or some cash if I could get a way to remove the chumby app rom and kernel and replace it with a androild app rom,and kernel setup. I know in my head it sounds easy and I bet it is a waste of time for some. But I in vision a large android tv that I can use my phone to talk to and do everything but make sweet love to me. Well thanks for reading and I hope my bad writing didn't scare you to much. thank you

I did find a bunch of info online about the tv's and the chumby, but can't make heads or tails of it.

guerrez

May 12, 2013
Hi, thank you for the guide, it is very clear!

Unfortunately the link for the Recomended Baseband does not work! :(

Could someone repost it?

Thank you guys! :)

guerrez

May 12, 2013
Hi, thank you for the guide, it is very clear!

Unfortunately the link for the Recomended Baseband does not work! :(

Could someone repost it?

Thank you guys! :)

Hi, no need anymore, I have used a different configuration, perfectly working:

LuPuS v14
Xperia Ultimate HD 3.0.2
ICS404XperiaKeyboardSign.zip for the keyboard (do a wipe Dalvik for the WIFI !!)

Hope this help everybody
Thank you all guys!!!

pitsgraft

Jan 13, 2014
Kuta Selatan
Xiaomi Poco F3
hi,
I tried connecting my device in flashboot mode and instal s1 Flashboot drivers,directed update s1 Flashboot driver through device manager to the folder containing usb_Flashdriver but it says it couldnt find the required file! and installation aborts!:confused:

Edit: Solved just directed to proper drivers :p

How did U solved it?
Please advice...
If possible to share link for xperia P driver

Sent from my Xperia P using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello my friends.

I think its a good idea to offer this simple guide and explanation for new Xperia and Android users about how to play with their new toys.

I will add new stuff to the content when needed.

First I want to start with the kernels and recovery.

Kernels

WTF is a kernel?
    The kernel is the communication bridge between software and hardware, is the most important part of any OS.

All OS have a kernel, even windows and iOS but since android its based on linux the kernel must be a GPL. So manufacturer must be public the source code of the kernel and third party devs can compile and modify it.

Now since SE decided to open the bootloader of certain devices (and the_laser find the way to do it to the rest :D) we can use those nice kernels we are talking about. And this is how to do it.

You will need:

1. Unpack the Fastboot.7z on C:/. There are 6 files and 1 folder. Folder contain fastboot driver.

2. Make sure the drivers are running. Check this thread to see how to install it. Jump to "2. Install S1 Boot Fasboot Drivers..."

3. Inside the pack are 2 batch files (.bat)

1. Drop_here_to_boot_kernel.bat
    2. Drop_here_to_flash_kernel.bat

The first one (1.) can be used to start the phone with the custom kernel to test. The kernel will get back to original after reboot the device.

The second (2.) its used to flash the kernel on the proper partition. This will persist after reboot (You can flash any other kernel in the same way to overwrite it)

To use this files you just need to drag and DROP the kernel in .img format on selected .bat file.

There will appear a window like this:

fastbootdevice.png

Sometimes the window blinks and dissapear, in that case copy the .img file inside the fastboot folder and repeat the process.

Now attach the phone in fastboot mode.

Fastboot Mode: Turn off your phone, then press and hold menu key (Arc/Neo) or Search key (Play) and attach USB cable to phone. You will get a beauty Blue Light.

The black window will show how the kernel its flashed or loaded and it will close itself.

Now all its done, you have a custom kernel.
    Custom ROMs

WTF is a ROM?

The rom is the software of our devices, the Android OS.

There are 3 kind of roms, Stock or Stock Based, AOSP and CyanogenMod roms.

Stock or Stock Based:

Are the official ROMs or the ones based on the original, with tweaks and stuff added. Normally this kind of ROM (Stock Based) are the most stable choices.

AOSP - Android Open Source Project

Vanilla android, like the nexus devices, its a native android interface and its the base of the next.

CyanogenMod & MiUI

The best custom roms out there. Great support and continuously improved, has unique features to enhance the customization experience. Both support themes.

How to install a custom ROM:

You will need:

1. Copy the .zip ROM in the sdcard. Its better to put inside a folder (start called with A or Z to easy access.)

2. Flash the proper baseband with flashtool.

3. Now flash the custom kernel recommended for the rom. Check the first post to check how to.

4. Start the phone and boot into recovery. To do this you need a custom kernel with built in ClockWorkMod (CWM). In the arc you need to press several times volume down button to enter into recovery for example.

5. On recovery you should see something like this (maybe different):

36648078.jpg

To move use Volume buttons, to select use Home button

• Select "Wipe data/factory reset". Confirm operation.
    • Select "Wipe cache partition". Confirm operation.
    • Go to "advanced" menu
    • Select "Wipe Dalvik Cache". Confirm operation.
    • Select "Wipe Battery Stats". Confirm operation.
    • Go back and select "Install zip from sdcard"
    • Select "Choose zip from sdcard"
    • Search and install the ROM in .zip format that you copy to sdcard in step 1.

That's all, you have the ROM flashed and ready to start.
    fastboot pack link is dead. can somebody reupload it?

here is the link
    HTML:
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/3ndjpkm66jfoxag/fastboot.rar