[L9 II] Possible mediaserver memory leak?

Search This thread

RaawrItsTomi

Apr 20, 2014
This issue has been haunting me for a while now. I never really knew that it was the mediaserver but i found out like a week ago. Basically the mediaserver ram usage extends to maximum possible (it was 120mb once) and making multitasking or even general usage of the phone unusable. Even if i open dialer and then close it right away, the home screen has to reload. The ram is simply full because of this. It doesn't matter if i listen to music, watch videos or even TOUCH the phone, it always happens after a while. When i restart the phone, the mediaserver memory goes back to normal (around 8mb). I've read somewhere that corrupt media can cause this and i can assure you that my sdcard doesn't have any. Plus the mediaserver uses some processor too. That results in stutters on the lg interface. Here is a screenshot (please note that it's 60mb on there but over time it climbs up to 100+ mb filling the whole ram)

qB77jHO.png

Oh and this is a stock KK 20a

One this that helps is the Mediaserver Killer. Well.. not quite. After i kill the media server, i cannot hear anything in the earpiece while on call. This is resolved ONLY if i restart the phone (which i've been doing quite a lot lately)

(Don't tell me to factory reset my phone. I've been doing this quite a lot lately and i'm tired of backing up my apps and data)

I'd really like to find out what could be causing it. I'll provide more resources if you need them.

Edit: I found a file called external.db on my internal memory, what is it? (It's over 6mb big)

wulsic

Aug 21, 2013
Nijmegen
OnePlus 8 Pro
@RaawrItsTomi External.db is the database of files scanned by the mediascanner. there was also an internal.db for the internal storage I believe :silly:.

I am not sure why your mediaserver is 50-60 MB you could maybe also have some crappy apps on your phone, also if the media scanner drains alot of your battery then that could also say that you have an corrupt file and then the scanner keeps repeating till it get good scanned.

I know there was a bug with the mediaserver on 4.1.2 but it got fixed.
But 20A seems to be kitkat as far as I know LG with their Software versions. I can't tell you or this also happen to other users with the L9 since I don't own the device and didn't had Stock LG anymore since stock 4.0.4

I hope for you that other people also respond to your thread since I can't really help you with your problem, I just went passing by for a friend.

RaawrItsTomi

Apr 20, 2014
@RaawrItsTomi External.db is the database of files scanned by the mediascanner. there was also an internal.db for the internal storage I believe :silly:.

I am not sure why your mediaserver is 50-60 MB you could maybe also have some crappy apps on your phone, also if the media scanner drains alot of your battery then that could also say that you have an corrupt file and then the scanner keeps repeating till it get good scanned.

I know there was a bug with the mediaserver on 4.1.2 but it got fixed.
But 20A seems to be kitkat as far as I know LG with their Software versions. I can't tell you or this also happen to other users with the L9 since I don't own the device and didn't had Stock LG anymore since stock 4.0.4

I hope for you that other people also respond to your thread since I can't really help you with your problem, I just went passing by for a friend.

First thank you for your reply I really appreciate that :)
Secondly this happens even when all my installed apps are hibernated using greenify

Thirdly I'm on CM11 by varcain now I just couldn't take it anymore

wulsic

Aug 21, 2013
Nijmegen
OnePlus 8 Pro
First thank you for your reply I really appreciate that :)
Secondly this happens even when all my installed apps are hibernated using greenify

Thirdly I'm on CM11 by varcain now I just couldn't take it anymore

Ahh okay have fun on your cm11 hope you won't have your old problems anymore :good:
I am not sure about greenify, never used it. I always have a Slim phone only the apps I need.
Isn't there another custom stock rom modified which you could try?