mattaviles5

Jan 26, 2009
Nothing will flash anymore.

Everytime i put my G1 into recovery mode to do a update.zip i get the error

E:Can't open /cache/recovery/command

and then when i try applying the update with alt+s i get the message

E:No signature (28 files)
E:Verification failed

I've never gotten these messages previously...anybody have advice or know what the problem is?

Thanks

corp769

Feb 8, 2009
Everytime i put my G1 into recovery mode to do a update.zip i get the error

E:Can't open /cache/recovery/command

and then when i try applying the update with alt+s i get the message

E:No signature (28 files)
E:Verification failed

I've never gotten these messages previously...anybody have advice or know what the problem is?

Thanks

Are you fully rooted? Most likely you messed something up, i have helped many people out already with this problem. Retrace your steps and make sure everything is flashed correctly and set up.

Amon_RA

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Jan 2, 2009
The recovery image (recovery_testkeys.img) uses the test keys that are distributed with the android platform source. This means that an OTA update or an update.zip update must be signed with the test key in order for it to install.

I'm a bit confused...
How exactly is the recovery image using the test keys? I've unpacked recovery_testkeys.img and I don't find test-keys back?
If I would make my own recovery image, how do I tell it to use the test keys? Is it just a matter of signing the recovery.img file?

uries62

Jul 16, 2005
Stuck at SPL

Would a fix like this help someone stuck at rainbow SPL screen? I did an OTA update to 1.6 and restart afterward went straight to SPL. I can't get out of it with normal restart. I have reflashed the phone successfully to RC29 with DREAIMG.nbh, and can access the recovery mode, to conduct updates (Though the CRC1 update fails when it attempts to apply a patch to recovery). When I restart or finish an update though, I get the the TMobile G1 screen followed directly by the SPL screen. No matter what I do, or what update I have applied, I cannot get past this screen.

bigmerchant

Jun 16, 2010
Denver
www.slntech.net
what i am confused about is in any of the direction when it says reboot, etc.. and hit ALT-S or ALT+L, what are they talking about? hit it on my computer in Windows or is it like in a virtual device under the SDK Manager?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here is a zip file containing a modified recovery and boot image, as well as a few other things:
    http://rapidshare.com/files/166164961/AndroidMod.zip
    http://jf.nyquil.org/AndroidMod.zip
    http://android-dls.com/forum/index.php?f=24&t=191&rb_v=viewtopic (see post for actual link to file)

NOTE: if you need a complete RC30 to v1.3 guide, see this page.

The recovery image (recovery_testkeys.img) uses the test keys that are distributed with the android platform source. This means that an OTA update or an update.zip update must be signed with the test key in order for it to install. In other words, it will no longer install OTA updates from t-mobile. You don't want them stealing back root access from you now do you? :).

I've also included the test keys and the SignApk.jar tool, so you can sign your own update scripts (for use only with the modified recovery image). You can resign any image, even if it has been signed before. So for example, if you needed to install an "official" t-mobile update, you must re-sign it with the test keys first.

Another bonus in this recovery image is that ADB is enabled while in recovery mode. You can't adb into a shell (no sh binary), but you can at least use it to push and pull files from the device. For example, you could push an update.zip file to the sdcard.

The boot image (boot_nosecure.img) has been modified so that adb has root access by default. So when you do an adb shell, you automatically get a root shell. You can remount the system image using adb, and then push files directly to the system partition.

Finally, the "update - Restore Original RC29 Boot Image.zip" file is an update.zip file signed with the test keys, which will restore your boot partition back to the stock RC29 image. Useful if you accidentally hose your boot partition..

To install the recovery image onto your phone:

Code:
    D:\Android\AndroidMod>adb push recovery_testkeys.img /data/local/recovery.img
    912 KB/s (0 bytes in 1767424.001s)

D:\Android\AndroidMod>adb shell
    $ su
    su
    # mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
    mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
    # cd /system
    cd /system
    # cat /data/local/recovery.img > recovery.img
    cat /data/local/recovery.img > recovery.img
    # flash_image recovery recovery.img
    flash_image recovery recovery.img
    #

Note: You must place the recovery image at /system/recovery.img. the init.rc boot script automatically flashes the recovery partition with that file every time you boot up the phone.

At this point, it's probably a good idea to reboot the phone into recovery mode, and make sure it loads OK. If the recovery image is corrupt somehow, it will throw you back into SPL mode (the multi-color bootloader screen). If that happens, just boot the phone normally, and reflash recovery image.

Once it boots into recovery mode, press alt+L, and the next to top line of text should say something like "using test keys.". If it doesn't, then you're still using the original recovery image.

Note: If you are planning on installing the modified RC30 update, you can ignore the following - there is no need to install the boot image. The update already has a newer, modified boot image.

Now that you know you have the modified recovery image loaded, you can install the boot image:

Code:
    D:\Android\AndroidMod>adb push boot_nosecure.img /data/local/boot.img
    939 KB/s (0 bytes in 1533952.001s)

D:\Android\AndroidMod>adb shell
    $ su
    su
    # flash_image boot /data/local/boot.img
    flash_image boot /data/local/boot.img
    # rm /data/local/boot.img
    rm /data/local/boot.img
    #

Now reboot the phone and let it boot normally. If the boot image was corrupted, it will boot into recovery mode instead. You can use the included update zip file to reload the original RC29 boot image.

Otherwise, if it boots up normally, open a command prompt however you like (telnet, adb, terminal emulator app, etc.) and type "getprop ro.secure". If it says 0, then you're running the modified boot image. Otherwise, if it says 1, you're still running the original boot image.
    Look at the original post. I added a link for the zip file..

thank you. Sorry