Xperia PLAY R800x Verizon Update Coming April 30th, 67mb

Search This thread
Last edited:
just saw this part..

If you don't have one of the aforementioned Androids, fret not. There are a few others (listed below) that have updates in testing, although it's not specified if the updates are to Ice Cream Sandwich.

HTC Thunderbolt- update in testing, OTA scheduled for May 10th
Droid Bionic- update in testing, OTA scheduled for May 3rd
Xperia Play- update in testing, OTA scheduled for April 30th
Galaxy Tab 10.1- update in testing, OTA scheduled for May 3rd
LG Revolution- update in testing, OTA scheduled for May 16th
With any luck, we'll see some of these updates being rolled out over the next few weeks. I'd be willing to bet that at least one of them gets pulled because of bugs, but we can't all be perfect. More on this as it develops.

I believe the reason for so soon os Verizon does not use TimeScape but uses vanilla android.... so other then the SE framework... i am sure it make the development part easier...

Solar.Plexus

Jan 29, 2012
Hmmm, but it says:

"...although it's not specified if the updates are to Ice Cream Sandwich."

I guess we'll just hope for the best.

I think its a little too early for ICS

But 2.3.4 would also be nice :D

Its quite possible.. however again R800x does not use Timescape... so I would imagine less troubleshooting and development to get ICS to work nice...... just my thoughts... If it is 2.3.4... I would still be happy to have it be at this point with ICS so close to being released.........why bother.... just release ICS...

Leraeniesh

Aug 1, 2011
Detroit
Its quite possible.. however again R800x does not use Timescape... so I would imagine less troubleshooting and development to get ICS to work nice...... just my thoughts... If it is 2.3.4... I would still be happy to have it be at this point with ICS so close to being released.........why bother.... just release ICS...

Thats true.

Seeing how easy it is to port CM9 to CDMA compared to the ICS Beta, I can see why it would be coming this early.

But also, it mentions it would be one of the first Verizon phones to get an ICS Update. (Well, it was the first Verizon GB Phone :D)

I guess we will just have to wait till Tuesday to find out

sufy1000

Oct 22, 2011
I actually dont see Xperia Play in the screenshot. Maybe it is a bit too early?

Sent from my R800i using XDA

I actually dont see Xperia Play in the screenshot. Maybe it is a bit too early?

Sent from my R800i using XDA

Its not mentioned in the screenshot, my bad. It is mentioned at the bottom of the article.

"If you don't have one of the aforementioned Androids, fret not. There are a few others (listed below) that have updates in testing, although it's not specified if the updates are to Ice Cream Sandwich.

LG Revolution- update in testing, OTA scheduled for May 16th"

Leraeniesh

Aug 1, 2011
Detroit
Its not mentioned in the screenshot, my bad. It is mentioned at the bottom of the article.

"If you don't have one of the aforementioned Androids, fret not. There are a few others (listed below) that have updates in testing, although it's not specified if the updates are to Ice Cream Sandwich.

LG Revolution- update in testing, OTA scheduled for May 16th"

Any update is a good update :D

Any update is a good update :D

And there you go..... agreed. And here I was thinking Verizon forgot all about our little phone.... still dont like them but this helps....

edit...

KeiranFTW made a good point. Sony had already mentioned in regards to ICS that there would be bo OTA. So I wonder what it could be then? Isnt Sony supposed to announce something big next Tuesday?

Could it be PSN store in the US on Xperia PLAY?

Last edited:

Leraeniesh

Aug 1, 2011
Detroit
And there you go..... agreed. And here I was thinking Verizon forgot all about our little phone.... still dont like them but this helps....

edit...

KeiranFTW made a good point. Sony had already mentioned in regards to ICS that there would be bo OTA. So I wonder what it could be then? Isnt Sony supposed to announce something big next Tuesday?

Its possible.

Sent from R800x

CloudShepherd

Jan 14, 2012

edit...

It's actually thought to be a ps3 game.

Sent from my R800i using Tapatalk 2

lightningdude

Oct 9, 2010

edit...

As far as no OTAs are concerned, Sony did say they weren't pushing them. That doesn't necessarily mean that Verizon isn't able to do one themselves. After all, CDMA wasn't supported in the beta, so maybe Sony has handed us over for good?

Sent from my R800x using XDA

Selim873

Apr 8, 2011
Well, after the past 2 bulls*** weeks (High School drama) At least something cool shows up. :)

I hope this actually comes out, I'm already in a slightly better mood. lol

KeiranFTW

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 17, 2011
Sunderland
I'm betting you they are going to announce something like a new phone or something, they've been doing a lot of new phone planning lately, with:
Xperia S LT26i Nozomi
Xperia U ST25i
Xperia P
Xperia ACRO HD
Xperia Sola
All a part of the NXT series :)

Sent from my Sony Xperia™ PLAY using Tapatalk 2

Insane PPC

Aug 18, 2008
Granite Falls, NC
i never saw this coming, i thought the last thing would be whatever scrapes sony decided to throw cdma's way.

this is very good, even if its just 2.3.4 then at least we get some big updates thats been lacking...

but agree i think it would have to be ICS, i mean why talk about anything else?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Definitive instructions how to update to 2.3.4 if you are Locked, Rooted, and the OTA Update will not complete for some reason. This will also save all your apps without individually backing them up.

1. Reboot your phone into CWM and take a nandroid backup of its current state.
    2. Reboot and use flashtool to flash the stock 2.3.3 ROM
    3. Reboot, activate Phone, upon activation it will start downloading 2.3.4, let it complete and when it does, choose "Remind me later"
    4. Use SuperOneClick to root via Zergrush method.
    5. Install 2.3.4 update.
    6. Activate phone again, then go into Android Market and re-download Xperia CWM Auto Installer, Run it and install CWM.
    7. Reboot Phone into CWM and go to "Restore", "Advanced Restore" , and then "Data".
    8. Reboot Phone

When this is done, all your apps, contacts, etc will be back to how they were before the update, and you will have 2.3.4 rooted on your phone.
    I got money off my bill for 1yr because they messed it up. And why not just use a custom rom, one of pax's builds will surely suit you up nicely!

@Rouge Leader "loud mouthed Italian" haha hell ya man a fellow Italian like myself can appreciate that any day!!

Sent from my R800x using xda premium

SO I GOT AN ANSWER

Spoke to a very nice girl in tech support. Laid out the deal from the start, explained I already reimaged my phone, others have the same problem, etc. She told me that many people have called with the issue. Then she put me on hold for about 3 minutes while she did some research.

When she came back she said the latest word is that its an issue with Google's versions of their framework that they used in the update. I got the impression that the version of 2.3.4 that VZ customers were issued is not the same one that other R800 users got (as in it was custom made by VZ with Sony framework, probably why it doesn't have xLoud). She said that their engineers cannot fix it but they have been in touch with Google to try and find a solution. She could not give me any sort of ETA and apologized for the issue.

Thats prettymuch where I left it as the answer made sense and no reason to argue there. So they know about the issue, they are willing to fix it (if you believe them) but in theory they need Google to fix it. I can't believe no one tested this before releasing it, but then again it is Big Red.
    Here's a link to the fota folder I found in /cache/recovery

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/21955004/fota.zip

I'm pretty sure Verizon wants nothing to do with CyanogenMod.

Sent from my phone, please excuse any Swypos.
    Not sure if anyone already posted this or not, but it's 2.3.4:

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/04/3...-4-0-2-e-0-57-pops-phone-up-to-android-2-3-4/

And while that is an improvement, the lack of ICS and the Sony Frameworks required for PSStore makes it almost pointless anyway

Wondering if Verizon ever marketed the "Playstation Certified" part of the phone. If they did, then withheld those features, isn't the false advertisement?