GeoHot's Moto G Pledge

Search This thread

Azarielz

Jun 25, 2013
I've noticed that GeoHot stated this on his towelroot thread:

v2 is live! More support. Reboot on your own time.

Still no new HTC/Moto support from phones without writable system.
If someone is willing to give me one of these phones for testing I'll add support.

The Moto G seems to be a good candidate, since it's very cheap (179$ the unbranded 8gb version, not sure if the 70$ verizon prepaid version is suitable for this) and should be enough for exploiting. Unfortunately I can't afford to buy one by myself, but with a bunch of pledges we can probably collect enough money for buying one for GeoHot. Probably this is the only concrete way to have a working root exploit with a locked bootloader.

I can start with a 20$ pledge. Anyone else?

Pledged:

20$ - Azarielz
20$ - BlueFlame4
10$ - super65man
5$ - giulio_splash

55$ pledged of ~179$ goal

Last edited:

Azarielz

Jun 25, 2013
Sounds like a good idea. We better go for the unbranded version for 179$.

So I would add 20$. How can we donate to GeoHot?

He has a paypal address he uses for the bounties (geohot@gmail.com). So when the needed money is pledged we can send everything directly to him, obviously taking care to note the transaction id.

40$ so far, good!

boggessb

Nov 30, 2013
donation

So I sent geohot a PM to see if he is interested in a spare XT1028 I've got. It's verizon pre-paid which means no boot loader unlock, so not sure if it will work for him or not. Will post a f/u when I hear back.

Azarielz

Jun 25, 2013
So I sent geohot a PM to see if he is interested in a spare XT1028 I've got. It's verizon pre-paid which means no boot loader unlock, so not sure if it will work for him or not. Will post a f/u when I hear back.

Great! We'll wait for his response.

If it will do the job and he'll manage to make towelroot working with Moto devices, we should turn all the pledges (not much so far, but better than nothing) into donations for him.

Every new pledger is welcome then!

super65man

Mar 25, 2014
Kansas
Great! We'll wait for his response.

If it will do the job and he'll manage to make towelroot working with Moto devices, we should turn all the pledges (not much so far, but better than nothing) into donations for him.

Every new pledger is welcome then!

I'll throw in 10 bucks as well, always been a fan of geohots work, he's honestly the best hardware hacker I've ever seen.

NWKENT

Dec 17, 2010
Tryon, North Carolina
http://swappa.com/listing/JIK785/view Prepaid for $90

Are the prepaids the same as the the regular service ones but IMEI locked so they can't get on the network as a normal phone?

The Moto G device listed in the link, is a XT1028.. which is 3G only, no SIM, works on Verizon only..cannot work on any other network..and its also a CDMA device..I do own one of this model..

Locked or Unlocked has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with the carrier or the OS..

Sent from my 4.4.3_21.23.4
(Unlocked) XT1045 Moto G 4G LTE
http://waynekent.com/page6.html

Last edited:

dlumberg

Jul 24, 2010
The Moto G device listed in the link, is a XT1028.. which is 3G only, no SIM, works on Verizon only..cannot work on any other network..and its also a CDMA device..I do own one of this model..

Locked or Unlocked has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with the carrier or the OS..

Sent from my 4.4.3_21.23.4
(Unlocked) XT1045 Moto G 4G LTE

OK, I have a moto x so I don't really know much about the Gs. Thanks for the info.

NWKENT

Dec 17, 2010
Tryon, North Carolina
Yea the moto x, g, and e are pretty much the same phone with different features. Write protection is the same on all the devices, not sure about the droids though.

Yes..XT1080M Droid Maxx and XT1080 Ultra..also have "Write Protection"..but that's another story and thread..lol

sent by my 4.2.2_12.15.15
(Unlocked) XT1080M Droid Maxx #1

MoseIlla

Feb 1, 2010
A-town
Not a peep. Maybe he doesn't do PMs in XDA. Or maybe he's on vacation. Or hopefully neck deep in code ;)
Either way, my offer still stands if he's interested. If any body else knows another way to contact him, feel free to pass it on.

Am I missing something, is this a root method of some kind? Don't we already have one?

DaKillaWilla

Apr 12, 2009
Any news from geohot?

$55 is enough to get him the Verizon variant of the moto g from best buy. If he figures it out, the same method should work with all moto g's. As for getting him to respond. I would contact a xda mod and see if they can get a hold of him.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

boggessb

Nov 30, 2013
$55 is enough to get him the Verizon variant of the moto g from best buy. If he figures it out, the same method should work with all moto g's. As for getting him to respond. I would contact a xda mod and see if they can get a hold of him.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk 2

The one I'm offering is the Best Buy Verizon pre-paid Moto G. I just sent a message to the e-mail he listed on the towelroot thread. I'll follow up with any response.

Top Liked Posts