[Q] How to upgrade the Samsung SGH-I927R (Rogers) Captivate-glide to ICS?

Search This thread
Yes,yes it is. Flash that and root it! and when your ready take the plunge and update to 4.0.4,Since your unlocked! Restore your /EFS if it does get lost ;) if it locks networks (and i mean if,which again is rare) I know a simple guide you can follow to get 'er back unlocked
EDIT: okay, I read the beginning of the thread. I see where your coming from. Now I understand why you want Root!
Do you need help trying to root it or do you understand that much?

Last edited:
Reactions: albsp15

albsp15

Aug 14, 2013
Yes,yes it is. Flash that and root it! and when your ready take the plunge and update to 4.0.4,Since your unlocked! Restore your /EFS if it does get lost ;) if it locks networks (and i mean if,which again is rare) I know a simple guide you can follow to get 'er back unlocked
EDIT: okay, I read the beginning of the thread. I see where your coming from. Now I understand why you want Root!
Do you need help trying to root it or do you understand that much?

Thanks! (I don't know how to express how much I appreciate your help...)

I think I have "somehow" clear the steps to follow, including initial rooting.. On big steps:

1.- Backup Apps (probably will use Kies)

2.- From the file trwp2.6.1.odin.zip, I'll install Odin on my PC and obtain the recovery.tar.md5 file (TWRP recovery).

3.- Will Flash this .md5 file with Odin on my mobile (need to watch your videos to ensure the Odin options to use, but mainly I think I need to

3.1.- enteri the phone in Download Mode (holding Volume Up key (keep holding it until options screen are shown) and then pressing power key once). On the next screen, pressing Volume Up once to boot into download mode).

3.2.- From Odin, use PDA option to select this file, ans select auto reboot" and "F: Reset" opetions .. leave the rest of hte options blank.

At this point, I'll already have the TWRP recovery on my mobile.

3.- Time to root the phone:From the SGH-I927RUXKJ5_STOCK_ROOTED.tar.bz2 file (290.298.391 bytes) extract SGH-I927RUXKJ5_STOCK_ROOTED.tar (rooted 2.3.5 Rogers ROM), and flash it with Odin (will follow same steps and Odin Options as to flash the recovery file).

At this time, I'll have my mobile rooted.

4.- Backup EFS: I'll execute the tar commands commented in the thread, as well as will use the EFS_Professional_2.1.73 SW

At this time, I can break my mobile (hopefully not) as I'll have every ready to recover. :angel:

5 .- Flash with Odin (again, same steps & options as previous flash performed) the file I927UCLJ3_I927ATTLJ3_ATT (AT&T firmware fom 2012 October). I've see you have many ROMs in your page... I do really need to watch your videos before starting this step... which ROM would you recommend?

6.- If after rebooting the phone I can't enter the phone due to SIM code or mobile does not register in the network, restore the EFS (I might need to unlock the phone again by entering the Network lock control key if requested) (already have it ready)

At this point I'll have the phone updated to the latest version, and rooted (well, not sure if rooted... if not rooted, I'd need to root it again in order to restore the EFS, if needed... so, in that case, back to start..

How do you see these steps? (this week-end can be a great week-end for my mobile...) (hopefully!)

Thanks!

I'm glad I can help :D I was just like you but already on 4.0.4 and at&t so it was slightly easier; I remember the first time I flashed a ROM on my phone,I was scared to death of something happening,but it went through! You'll get more confident,and more relaxed over time;)

ROMs: Those your referring to are ROMs, you flash via recovery,which are totally different than what we're doing right now.We're wanting to flash new "firmware" After that you can have a new unofficial ROM developed by your XDA community!(which I stated I have on my cappi) They're based on AOSP and not Samsung's TW (TouchWiz) UI.Its smooth as butter and you can theme it to look like anything you want,I believe I have mine with the S4 theme)
Okay You don't have to flash recovery yet from what I can see just root 'er,back efs up Odin update(yes you will loose root upon update) then flash recovery, flash the super user file dude has in his video, restore /efs, finally if everything went a'okay run around flailing you arms,chanting "I did it!" And get stared at like what's wrong? lol
Best of luck!
P.S when backing up your efs use this version ( https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Byg6EXiRFqzsNFE5ZmhVZU1uX00/edit?usp=sharing) and the ROM I recommend is crDROID it has a lot of customizations. All the ROMs come pre Rooted,except OMNI ROM. But before you flash a ROM via recovery remember the first time to Backup everything (/boot,/system,/data,ect.) Also your efs will be fine you won't have to worry about loosing it at all once you get past odining 4.0.4 :D

Last edited:

albsp15

Aug 14, 2013
I'm glad I can help :D I was just like you but already on 4.0.4 and at&t so it was slightly easier; I remember the first time I flashed a ROM on my phone,I was scared to death of something happening,but it went through! You'll get more confident,and more relaxed over time;)

ROMs: Those your referring to are ROMs, you flash via recovery,which are totally different than what we're doing right now.We're wanting to flash new "firmware" After that you can have a new unofficial ROM developed by your XDA community!(which I stated I have on my cappi) They're based on AOSP and not Samsung's TW (TouchWiz) UI.Its smooth as butter and you can theme it to look like anything you want,I believe I have mine with the S4 theme)
Okay You don't have to flash recovery yet from what I can see just root 'er,back efs up Odin update(yes you will loose root upon update) then flash recovery, flash the super user file dude has in his video, restore /efs, finally if everything went a'okay run around flailing you arms,chanting "I did it!" And get stared at like what's wrong? lol
Best of luck!
P.S when backing up your efs use this version ( https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Byg6EXiRFqzsNFE5ZmhVZU1uX00/edit?usp=sharing) and the ROM I recommend is crDROID it has a lot of customizations. All the ROMs come pre Rooted,except OMNI ROM. But before you flash a ROM via recovery remember the first time to Backup everything (/boot,/system,/data,ect.) Also your efs will be fine you won't have to worry about loosing it at all once you get past odining 4.0.4 :D

Thanks again!

I'm glad to hear that my scare can be understood!

I tried to go for it... and... Oh my good! my PC broke down and I didn't boot!!! :crying::crying::crying:

I think I can get it up and running again this week, so, I can flash the "firmware", and then will go for the "crDROID" ROM...:good:

Once I fix the computer, I will watch the video, and then, will go for update... WIll let you know results!!!!

Thanks!

Reactions: stormdude124

albsp15

Aug 14, 2013
I just updated my moms s3 to 4.4.2 yesterday and and my laptop randomly shut off too lol luckily it wasn't in the middle of Odin! Anyways good luck and yes let me know if you did it!

...I think I better don't ask what will happen if the PC breaks in the middle of the Odin transfer... (I'm scared enough :angel: )

Found my PC problem is just a BIOS settings problem... so, hopefully easy to recover.... But I'll need sometime to backup the mobile (there are a few apps I purchased in Google Play, and I don't want to pay again for them)...

I'll leave this for the week-end, so, in case something happens, I have time to think about how to solve it...

Thanks! (you give me confidence to move forward!)

albsp15

Aug 14, 2013
Yeah,you'll be fine :p
BTW all your apps including purchased are on your google account, so you won't loose anything.If you want app data (for example say your on a certain lv. On a game and you don't want to start over)you can use Titanium Backup,but it requires root.

Thanks;

Tried to make a backup with Kies before performing the first step (odin the SGH-I927RUXKJ5_STOCK_ROOTED.tar ROM file)... but it took ages and didn't finish... (I expected to make the backup in 1-2 hours, but it needs more time...

I think cannot use the Titanium backup yet as it says I need to root, so, I'll use it after rooting the phone... I've downloaded the Ultimate Backup, that hopefully will do the job (although as not yet root, backup will be limited). Will try to backup with this one and also with Kies again... then, will need to wait probably the whole night for the backup, and will finally oding the ROM... Let's see if tomorrow I'm root! :good:

Thanks!

Oh you can't have kies installed when using Odin! After your done with kies uninstall it ;) also I guess you could install TWRP recovery and back it up then copy it to the computer or ext sd,because when you Odin it will wipe your internal memory. We're getting closer to your goal let's get there! :D

Last edited:

albsp15

Aug 14, 2013
Oh you can't have kies installed when using Odin! After your done with kies uninstall it ;) also I guess I could install TWRP recovery and back it up then copy it to the computer or ext sd,because when you Odin it will wipe your internal memory. We're getting closer to your goal let's get there! :D

Thanks for the advise about Kies!

So, Ok... I finally went for it... Uninstalled Kies, and transferred the SGH-I927RUXKJ5_STOCK_ROOTED.tar ROM file (extracted from SGH-I927RUXKJ5_STOCK_ROOTED.tar.bz2) to the mobile with Odin (Only Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time tick boxes checked), ROM file selected by using PDA file option in Odin. Mobile booting by "Power-on"+"Volume-up"

And my mobile keeps alive!!!! :good::good::good:
... However... although I've transferred the ROM, mobile keeps exactly the same, no app/config lost to be restored, but mobile not yet rooted :crying:

I've checked with Titanium Backup and ES File explorer: Both confirm I'm not root... :confused:

Would you know what step I've forgotten to perform?

I can't find any problem in the Odin logs:
------------------------------------------
<ID:0/026> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/026> Initialzation..
<ID:0/026> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/026> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/026> factoryfs.img
<ID:0/026> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/026> cache.img
<ID:0/026> recovery.img
<ID:0/026> modem.bin
<ID:0/026> RQT_CLOSE !!
<ID:0/026> RES OK !!
<ID:0/026> Completed..
<ID:0/026> Added!!
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 1 / failed 0)
<ID:0/026> Removed!!
<ID:0/027> Added!!
<ID:0/027> Removed!!
<ID:0/027> Added!!
<ID:0/027> Removed!!
--------------------------------------------

Maybe rooted ROM I've transferred is not really rooted? (I spent a lot of time looking for it, as all links to Rogers ROM were broken):

File is SGH-I927RUXKJ5_STOCK_ROOTED.tar
Dated on 05/12/2011 22:17
Filesize: 550.490 KB (563.701.760 bytes)

PS.- The good thing is that the process has gone really smoothly! Very easy to follow :) : Once I get root, I think I'll not need so much time to upgrade... :angel:

Thanks!!!

albsp15

Aug 14, 2013
Can you install super su in play store?

Thanks a lot for being there!!!

Just installed... It says the SU binary needs to be updated... Then, I continue...
and asks me to choose TWRP/CWM or Normal mode (depending on if I have a customer recovery)... I still don't have this customer recovery, so, do you think I should go for the for the "Normal" mode?

THANKS!!!

Hmm... There is another way you could go...: You don't necessarily need root to jump onto a custom ROM. I mean you could do this: install TWRP recovery> backup your ROM> flash CM11. It comes pre-rooted. I've seen some people do it that way. If you want to try that let me know,or we can try to figure out this. It sucks when all the original people who started threads and maintained downloads are long gone and you can't find the file your looming for anymore

albsp15

Aug 14, 2013
Hmm... There is another way you could go...: You don't necessarily need root to jump onto a custom ROM. I mean you could do this: install TWRP recovery> backup your ROM> flash CM11. It comes pre-rooted. I've seen some people do it that way. If you want to try that let me know,or we can try to figure out this. It sucks when all the original people who started threads and maintained downloads are long gone and you can't find the file your looming for anymore

I believe I can spend a few days looking for the rooted file again, although, If you think this new way could be better to progress, I will go for it... The only reason I wanted to root before upgrading was to backup EFS, as I was suggested initially due to my mobile being unlocked from Rogers and used under Orange in Spain, but, if you think this is unnecesary, then, let's got for it!

Re first step, I already have downloaded the twrp-2.6.3.1-odin.zip file (That's the Odin I've used) with the "recovery.tar.md5" (I think this is the TWRP recovery firmware, right?

Would you know which Options should I use in Odin to transfer? the same as the previous ROM?
(Only Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time tick boxes checked), and file selected by using "PDA" file option. Mobile booting by "Power-on"+"Volume-up" and connect)

Then for the second step: "backup your ROM"... I'm afraid I'm not sure how to do it... :eek:

Then, to flash CM11, I still need to download hte CM11 file, but I believe after today's Odin transfer, it'll be similar and willl be smooth :)

Thanks, thanks, thanks!!!!

Sorry didn't here my phone go off lol.Anyways this method doesn't touch your /efs at all. Use the version of Odin provided on that dudes YouTube video.(I should have the right version on my thread somewhere if you don't have it already) flash TWRP. If you seen the video that that youtuber made just follow it but install TWRP2.6.3.1.md5 instead of CWM.after that you flash your ROM backup your ROM(in TWRP you simply tap backup/restore>backup(in your case check everything)>swipe to backup. Then flash the ROM you choose in recovery>backup your /efs> then if you have any problems just flash that 4.04.md5 firmware with odin.Or I we can update your baseband with a simple zip! There's so many different ways I've seen success
Here's TWRP Odin file: http://dualhoki.vim.hu/bubor/dev/twrp-i927/twrp-2.6.3.1-odin.zip
Extract that zip and you'll have you that shiny md5 ;)
Use Odin provided by the dude in the video.Probably the version you have will work fine
(Its like a surgery operation,you have to be careful and cautious lol, sometimes they can head south fast!)I'll try my best for that not to happen!

Last edited:

albsp15

Aug 14, 2013
Sorry didn't here my phone go off lol.Anyways this method doesn't touch your /efs at all. Use the version of Odin provided on that dudes YouTube video.(I should have the right version on my thread somewhere if you don't have it already) flash TWRP. If you seen the video that that youtuber made just follow it but install TWRP2.6.3.1.md5 instead of CWM.after that you flash your ROM backup your ROM(in TWRP you simply tap backup/restore>backup(in your case check everything)>swipe to backup. Then flash the ROM you choose in recovery>backup your /efs> then if you have any problems just flash that 4.04.md5 firmware with odin.Or I we can update your baseband with a simple zip! There's so many different ways I've seen success
Here's TWRP Odin file: http://dualhoki.vim.hu/bubor/dev/twrp-i927/twrp-2.6.3.1-odin.zip
Extract that zip and you'll have you that shiny md5 ;)
Use Odin provided by the dude in the video.Probably the version you have will work fine
(Its like a surgery operation,you have to be careful and cautious lol, sometimes they can head south fast!)I'll try my best for that not to happen!

Thanks!!!

Found finally sometime today to move on... Followed your suggestions, and this is where I'm now (I think I'm quite close to get it!) :)

+++ flashed the recovery.tar.md5as in the video => Sucessful!!!! :good:
+++ backup/restore>backup (checked everything)>swiped to backup => again sucessful!!!! :good::good:

Now, Next: flash the ROM you choose => Going for the CM11 as suggested... I believe CM11 is "CyanOgenMod 11 M10 (KitKat 4.4.4)" right? (found in your guide - Last update:09/19/14 Current Status: Very Stable).. But, when downloading, I find the following last versions:

*** cm-11-20140911-UNOFFICIAL => Appears in the changelog as "20140911: updated kernel for better battery life, thanks mara-"

*** cm-11-20140919-UNOFFICIAL => Does not appear in the changelogs... Do you know if this version has been also tested and keeps very stable? (date looks very close to today) :fingers-crossed:

Which one would you suggest?

Additionally, I've a doubt... hope you can help me to understand... You commented to "in recovery>backup your /efs"... But I can't find any option to backup the EFS in TWRP... I've checked all options, but none of them where about EFS... Also, I'm not root yet, so, I cannot bakup EFS... Am I missing something?

Should I backup the EFS before transferring the CM11 or should I transfer CM11, and then, backup EFS?

PS.- I believe tonight I'll be able to finish the process!!!!!:):):)

Thanks!!!!

The CM 11 September 19 is just updates to CM,its safe to download :) (Sometimes they update their ROM,but forget to update the change log.That's why I posted a link to what's new in the M10 Release)
You backup your /efs after you flash CM11-because it will be rooted after this.
Good luck!!! Hope is smooth! Let me know when you flash your ROM, so I can tell you the next step

albsp15

Aug 14, 2013
The CM 11 September 19 is just updates to CM,its safe to download :) (Sometimes they update their ROM,but forget to update the change log.That's why I posted a link to what's new in the M10 Release)
You backup your /efs after you flash CM11-because it will be rooted after this.
Good luck!!! Hope is smooth! Let me know when you flash your ROM, so I can tell you the next step

Thanks!!!!

Ok..I'm on it... But just starting got a probably very silly doubt...

I've already downloaded the cm-11-20140919-UNOFFICIAL, and was going to flash it... but, when following instructions in your page starting from step 11 (already done the previous):
-----------
11: Locate "Wipe"
12: Swipe to Factory Reset (before you freak out it, DOES NOT WIPE YOUR INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL SD CARDS!)
13: Locate "Install'
14: Find your ROM (if you downloaded your ROM from your phone it is usually in /sdcard/download)
15: "Swipe to install zip"
16: Let your ROM install (it will take some time)
17: Congratulations you have a new ROM on your Cappi!
-------------

I got a bit scared about steps 11 & 12...
11: Locate "Wipe"
12: Swipe to Factory Reset

...I've read in your instructions that:
---------------
[F.A.Q] {new question added 5/30/14}
Q: A new update has been released for my phone do I need to Factory Reset my phone?
A: No just flash on top of it but make a backup first just in case the update has problems
---------------

And I've thought that maybe it's not needed to wipe and factory reset the mobile... :angel: Should I Wipe and factory reset, or can I go to "install" the zip file?:eek:

Thanks!!!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello;

I've a Rogers SGH-I927R and can't manage to upgrade firmware to ICS via Kies (get error saying my phone does not support initializing, see attached).

I've not rooted the mobile, just unlocked it via code in order to use it in Spain with Orange Network.

Could you, please, share with me a way to upgrade manually (although it's from Rogers I believe it does not matter if I upgrade it with the AT&T ROM, as I'm using it unlocked in Spain with the Orange Network).

Thanks a lot!

download odin and grab the firmware from www.samfirmware.com .. this will give you stock AT&T ICS.

*** I'M TELLING YOU NOW, IF YOU DON'T DO THIS FIRST YOU'LL BE SORRY ** BACKUP YOUR EFS!!!!!

I didnt backup my EFS .. What happens with AT&T Rom going overtop of rogers is it actually changes your efs to an AT&T efs code where the IMEI store point doesn't show up in the same place of the file as it did with Rogers. This has been confirmed in my phone (and i lost my imei) and as well in Bubor's.

If you need help doing this PM me and I'll be happy to give you the exact copy/paste steps to do so.
    Hello;

I've a Rogers SGH-I927R and can't manage to upgrade firmware to ICS via Kies (get error saying my phone does not support initializing, see attached).

I've not rooted the mobile, just unlocked it via code in order to use it in Spain with Orange Network.

Could you, please, share with me a way to upgrade manually (although it's from Rogers I believe it does not matter if I upgrade it with the AT&T ROM, as I'm using it unlocked in Spain with the Orange Network).

Thanks a lot!
    Regarding the EFS backup see the thread below:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2019540

I did a backup o my EFS using the method described in the second link from the first post of that thread:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1313327
    avast flagged the first link as malware and I didn't see a download.Also the 2nd link is dead :/
    Be careful when downloading stuff not on XDA
    there is a link in my thread showing you how to root (if your on 4.0.4) here it is if you missed it:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cn879wTAXi4 (not my video)
    Remember to Flash TWRP and not CWM!
    Good luck! :D (I believe i'm one of the few active ones on this thread supprized im not asked to be a mod lol)
    Were all new at one time its okay lol
    CWM (Clock Work Mod) and TWRP (Team Win Recovery Project) are custom recoverys to install ROMs from. A recovery is an environment outside of android that allows you to tons of modifications. We say use TWRP because it is better and supports KitKat. BTW you don't have to Restore your efs unless it is corrupted,which is very very rare.So if you didn't root yet you can just use Samsung kies and officially update to 4.0.4 then venture off to a custom ROM
    (Just have a backup of your efs and restore if your IMEI is null-meaning not there- settimgs>about phone>status)
    It is very unlikely that you'll brick your phone if you follow everything right