[APP] HTC Gesture Listener [concept]

Search This thread

MohammadAG

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 7, 2009
Jerusalem
mohammadag.xceleo.org
This is more of a proof of concept that might be useful to lock the screen.

Does not require root.

HTC's framework detects gestures while the screen is on, this is actually broadcasted to all applications, but the only app that reacts to it is HTC's Media Output (Three finger swipe up or left-right).

This app is both an implementation that reacts to a three finger click to lock the screen, and a dev concept that shows how to react to the gestures.

If you want to use this to lock the phone, just tap with three fingers anywhere after enabling device admin.

Download:
http://mohammadag.xceleo.org/public/Android/HTCOneM8/

Source:
https://github.com/MohammadAG/HTC-Gesture-Listener

More dev stuff:
If anyone is interested where this happens, it's in services.odex's com.htc.server.gesture package.

Last edited:

gx_rite

Apr 19, 2008
This is one of the best hacks I've used for the m8 so far ... Very simple yet tasty ?
Thanks..and keep up the good work

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Xorok

captainreynolds

Mar 7, 2011
Amazing! Although I would prefer that it only make the screen turn off the phone and go to sleep rather than just lock it. This will open up a lot of interesting development work though, I'm sure!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

droidkevlar

Mar 27, 2010
This is sweet! I use the double tap status bar xposed, but this is so much easier to use. Nice!

iwalkthrowwalls

Sep 24, 2008
Thank you so much. This is an awesome feature add. The Media gesture is something that I have no use for and didn't want to change my kernel in order for this to work. I'm seeing how long I can go without rooting my phone. This will definitely prolong my challenge. ?

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

Reactions: raisage

MohammadAG

Sep 7, 2009
Jerusalem
mohammadag.xceleo.org

droidkevlar

Mar 27, 2010
No. The app doesn't even run in the background.

Don't spread BS, thank you.

Look, I respect that you are a Dev and have done good work. But what I said is not BS. I have been having bad batt drain for a few weeks. Couldn't figure it out. I uninstalled this and poof, no more batt drain. So how is that BS?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

MohammadAG

Sep 7, 2009
Jerusalem
mohammadag.xceleo.org
Look, I respect that you are a Dev and have done good work. But what I said is not BS. I have been having bad batt drain for a few weeks. Couldn't figure it out. I uninstalled this and poof, no more batt drain. So how is that BS?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

The app is simply a listener, it does not enable anything, in fact, if a three finger gesture is not detected by the system, as far as the system is concerned, the app does not exist (it does not take CPU cycles, or memory, or any resources besides storage for the APK).

Therefore, it's technically impossible for it to cause any battery drain. I have no idea what happened on your phone, but it's likely a coincidence.

With that said, my reply was a bit rude, so apologies for that.

For some reason I can't get this to work for me. I have 3 finger media gesture enabled. Is there anything else I'm supposed to do???

You'll need to enable the app as a Device Policy Manager. You have to open the app once for Android to confirm it wasn't maliciously installed.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is more of a proof of concept that might be useful to lock the screen.

Does not require root.

HTC's framework detects gestures while the screen is on, this is actually broadcasted to all applications, but the only app that reacts to it is HTC's Media Output (Three finger swipe up or left-right).

This app is both an implementation that reacts to a three finger click to lock the screen, and a dev concept that shows how to react to the gestures.

If you want to use this to lock the phone, just tap with three fingers anywhere after enabling device admin.

Download:
    http://mohammadag.xceleo.org/public/Android/HTCOneM8/

Source:
    https://github.com/MohammadAG/HTC-Gesture-Listener

More dev stuff:
    If anyone is interested where this happens, it's in services.odex's com.htc.server.gesture package.
    I tried but nothing happens.
    Any ideas?

Check if 3 Finger Media Gesture is disabled in Settings -> Display & gestures

This is one of the best hacks I've used for the m8 so far ... Very simple yet tasty ?
    Thanks..and keep up the good work

Thank you so much. This is an awesome feature add. The Media gesture is something that I have no use for and didn't want to change my kernel in order for this to work. I'm seeing how long I can go without rooting my phone. This will definitely prolong my challenge. ?

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk