At&t unlimited data throttling ?

Search This thread

RipplingHurst

Feb 18, 2011
California
So were you successful or not? By reading your last sentence "no success until now" it sounds like you found a work around?

Sorry I meant up to now. Still searching for threads outthere with more apn. Skyrocket thread is no go.

Edit: I'm on the phone with AT&T right now. Got transferred to a department that handle cases like this. Called ABS. Operator didn't tell me what the acronym meant.

Update: Lady from the ABS told me that only unlimited data plan users are being throttled. She said that if I were on the 3GB plan and used the same 2GB plan I wouldn't be throttled. What?

So I ask for her to state the same thing in writing. She declined. I said email, fax or text message stating that I wouldn't be throttled out of the unlimited plan. She declined. I am now waiting for the supervisor.

---------- Post added at 10:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:47 AM ----------

Update 2: I also asked about keeping my new phone a putting me out of the LTE network. "I just like my new phone and the bigger screen. If I give up the LTE, can you put me on a plan with similar speed as I had on the iPhone 4?" NO, she said, you'd have to give up on the LTE device to use a non LTE service."

I really not buying this out of unlimited = no throttling. Aren't there reports here of people on XDA with 3GBs/5GBs plan and they're also being throttled?

Last edited:

00mred00

Aug 11, 2010
Princeton Tx
As I have mentioned before..I in no way support those that are abusing the network.

I have been throttled twice, once while on vacation which really sucked. we were uplaoding pics and vids and such of our wedding vacation.

when wifi was available we used it (and in most of those cases we were not even on our phones, we used the laptop) We also streamed pandora pretty much constantly while driving.

The second time was this past billing cycle. again, wifi used when available.. (I have 50 mb cable internet here at the house, and use wifi when out an about, but I'm not a hipster, if I am not at home I am at work, there is no wifi there) Actually I would imagine that about half of the data I used last month (7.5 gb total) was used bringing you guys and 2 other sites information about the note haha.

I'm sorry but that in no way is abuse...but this conversation has been had in other forums (pretty much by me and the same people lol)

We did the math and found our solution if they continue to throttle. The last rep claimed there is nothing in writing because this was a temporary solution...it led me to believe it will go away.

foxbat121

Apr 27, 2006
Aren't there reports here of people on XDA with 3GBs/5GBs plan and they're also being throttled?

3GB plan only started in 1/22/12. I serously doubt anyone will report throttled.

Besides, it doesn't make any economic sense to AT&T. If you have a 2GB plan and you used 3GB, you will have to pay $$$ for the overage.

It is only a problem for unlimited data users because they feel the entitlement to use whatever amount they want but there is now way for AT&T to charge extra.

Last edited:

RipplingHurst

Feb 18, 2011
California
As I have mentioned before..I in no way support those that are abusing the network.

I have been throttled twice, once while on vacation which really sucked. we were uplaoding pics and vids and such of our wedding vacation.

when wifi was available we used it (and in most of those cases we were not even on our phones, we used the laptop) We also streamed pandora pretty much constantly while driving.

The second time was this past billing cycle. again, wifi used when available.. (I have 50 mb cable internet here at the house, and use wifi when out an about, but I'm not a hipster, if I am not at home I am at work, there is no wifi there) Actually I would imagine that about half of the data I used last month (7.5 gb total) was used bringing you guys and 2 other sites information about the note haha.

I'm sorry but that in no way is abuse...but this conversation has been had in other forums (pretty much by me and the same people lol)

We did the math and found our solution if they continue to throttle. The last rep claimed there is nothing in writing because this was a temporary solution...it led me to believe it will go away.

Agreed.

I hope it goes away. My billing cycle end on the 14th. I'll keep trying solutions, or then I'll be forced to switch to the 3GB/5GB plan.

Here's the wording the Manager pointed me to:

Options for avoiding reduced speeds for smartphone customers with an unlimited data plan
You can avoid reduced speeds by setting your smartphone to use Wi-Fi, which doesn't count against your wireless data usage. AT&T smartphone customers have unlimited access to our entire Wi-Fi network, with more than 29,000 hotspots, at no additional cost. You can also use Wi-Fi at home and in the office.

Another option is limiting the amount of data you use when you are not using Wi-Fi. To get an estimate of how much data is used by different activities, check out our data calculator tool.

If speed is of top importance, you may wish to switch to a tiered usage data plan. Tiered data plan customers can pay for more data when they need it and will not see reduced speeds.
(AT&T Support site)

I think it's a game of chicken. Once a substantial number of unlimited users move out of their grandfathered plans, the remaining users will keep all the goodies, and will be no little as to not matter for them anyway.

---------- Post added at 10:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 AM ----------

It is only a problem for SOME unlimited data users because they feel the entitlement to use whatever amount they want but there is now way for AT&T to charge extra.

Corrected for you.

C'mon, I'm being throttled at 2GB. Don't generalize.

Last edited:

foxbat121

Apr 27, 2006
Corrected for you.

C'mon, I'm being throttled at 2GB. Don't generalize.

Thanks for the correction :)

But if you're on a 2GB plan, you will never attempt to go near the 2GB mark.

I consider myself pretty heavy data user on my unlimited but on average I never exceeds 1GB of usage. The only time I reached 2GB was when watched too many netflix movies. And I considered myself abuse the data :)

I think when most unlimited data users switched out, the ones who left will be throttle 100% of the time. To be hornest, the customers who have grandfathered unlimited data plans probably only around 5% of all AT&T customers who have data plans (ever since they mandated smartphone data plan requirements) to start with. This is AT&T's grand schema to get rid of all the unlimited data subscribers without being publicized as such. Once all unlimited users are removed, they can start moving the pricing of data plans upwards (we already see such movement from $15/mo to $20/mo).

I can predict in the future, we will see minimum $30/mo for 500MB and $50 or $60 for 4GB, all including tethering.

They can't make this move if there are still unlimited data $30/mo in use.

Last edited:
Reactions: SysAdmNj

samomamo

Jul 17, 2010
Bunch of sisi's ohh I feel I am abusing watching Netflix. Grow some man. The are ass raping castomers and we have to feel sorry for watching Netflix?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using xda premium

RipplingHurst

Feb 18, 2011
California
Thanks for the correction :)

You're welcome.:)

But if you're on a 2GB plan, you will never attempt to go near the 2GB mark.

Yeah, I would probably choose the 5GB to get grandfathered on the current rates! :eek:

I consider myself pretty heavy data user (...) And I considered myself abuse the data :)

You are neither.

I can predict in the future, we will see minimum $30/mo for 500MB and $50 or $60 for 4GB, all including tethering.

They can't make this move if there are still unlimited data $30/mo in use.

Unless they start throttling at 500MB, I don't see how many unlimited users will switch. My wife is on the unlimited and never went past 600MB, and she probably doesn't even know she is on the unlimited data. She won't care enough to change, unless she has to.

If I could predict the future, I'd say that in 5-10 years, I'll have wi-fi all over town at 3G speeds, and I won't care much about 4G LTE unless I'm "roaming" - highways, etc.

San Francisco, other cities, soon will have wifi, and people will make calls over wifi. It won't be enough for streaming netflix, probably, but it will be enough to make calls, and so a large part of the revenue for AT&T and the like will drop. I predict a big trouble for cellular networks.

Last edited:

SysAdmNj

Jun 29, 2010
This is why noone should give in and switch to any other data plan. We shouldnt be afraid to watch netflix.

borijess

Jul 30, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
This is BS when having a smartphone we have options for Netflix, Pandora,Hulu, movie downloads and many more streaming services. Now if we are limited or capped by our provided how does this improve the experience of having a smartphone. They say the average person uses less than 2gb. Just using Netflix can surpass this number. I believe their so callled cap was estimated before Netflix was widely available on smartphone. I just think this is BS and I am just ranting if nobody agrees with me.

Sent from the SuperStreak! ;-)

RipplingHurst

Feb 18, 2011
California
I completely understand, but I can't empathize with netflix users, because I've never used it, or hulu, on my phone - I do use crackle, vevo, on my tablet though.

But mind you, google music uses a huge amount of data, specially if you have large mp3files (with embedded album art, 320kbps files). One day using Google Music cost me 300MB! that's amost 1/4 of my monthly (before throttling) allocation! So be careful.

Another major data consumer for me is uploading facebook/phanfare accounts for the family abroad. Wife is in London for two weeks and we use skype a lot for face calls, and I upload 1080p videos on the fly when I'm in the parks, other recreational areas. There went another GB in the month (Skype, Pictures, Video uploading). In the suburbs, where I live, there's no AT&T wifi outside the local Starbucks. There's 3 huge parks, 2 big soccer practice fields where I take the kids and where I have to use the amazing LTE Speeds (when I'm home, wife is already sleeping, due to the fuse). That's the only time of the day where the time zone matches for a live chat. Not anymore, because I'm being throtlled though, so I'll have to explain the girls today, after the 4H meeting, there will be no talking with mommy for a week...

So let's no assume we're just downloading files and using netflix. I'd say there's lot of users out there with particular needs that also use data.

foxbat121

Apr 27, 2006
So let's no assume we're just downloading files and using netflix. I'd say there's lot of users out there with particular needs that also use data.

I agree that there is a lot of usage for mobile data. But none of that can't be achieved if you WAIT until you get home. With convenience comes the price. Obviously AT&T thinks $30/mo for unlimited upload and download on their current network is unsustainable. Hence the tiered data plan.

If it costs you $100 for each 1080p video upload, will you still do it?

---------- Post added at 02:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:29 PM ----------

San Francisco, other cities, soon will have wifi, and people will make calls over wifi. It won't be enough for streaming netflix, probably, but it will be enough to make calls, and so a large part of the revenue for AT&T and the like will drop. I predict a big trouble for cellular networks.

I predict not. Bandwidth is not free. City wide wi-fi costs $$$. And money does not fall from sky or grow on trees. Tax payer end up paying for it. And like anything with govt. involvment, you end up paying 10 times the actual cost.

RipplingHurst

Feb 18, 2011
California
I agree that there is a lot of usage for mobile data. But none of that can't be achieved if you WAIT until you get home. With convenience comes the price. Obviously AT&T thinks $30/mo for unlimited upload and download on their current network is unsustainable. Hence the tiered data plan.

If it costs you $100 for each 1080p video upload, will you still do it?

---------- Post added at 02:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:29 PM ----------

I predict not. Bandwidth is not free. City wide wi-fi costs $$$. And money does not fall from sky or grow on trees. Tax payer end up paying for it. And like anything with govt. involvment, you end up paying 10 times the actual cost.

I don't know man. Look at AT&T revenue. I think there's money to be made on wifi phones, as long as they work exactly like a cellular phone (i.e. no skype like special app needed.). Google offered something like that for SF(whole city free wifi), but I guess people didn't want to give free rein to install antennas anywhere they want and manage the ads forever. But I say it's possible. Google, others (Microsoft?) are looking into that, something that will replace the portable phone as we know it. Again, for voice calls and text messages, you don't need much bandwidth. And I believe the FCC rates for wifi bands are more generous and cheaper.

Will see what happens.

kiltedthrower

Sep 23, 2010
Here's what I find crazy...
I get messages taht I'll get throttled when I hit around the 2gb area. However, if was on the 3gb plan, I wouldn't get throttled even if I went over the 3gb, I'd just get charged more.

I really think they need to change it to a nationwide top 10%. it's really unfair that someone doesn't get throttled until they hit the 5-10gb area and some of us get throttled at 2gb

foxbat121

Apr 27, 2006
If I'm not mistaken, some T-Mobile phones offer you voice over wi-fi capability so that you can still make calls when there is no t-Mo coverage (which is a lot of places outside big cities.).

---------- Post added at 03:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:01 PM ----------

I really think they need to change it to a nationwide top 10%. it's really unfair that someone doesn't get throttled until they hit the 5-10gb area and some of us get throttled at 2gb

The percentage number is arbitary set. There is no ways to verify AT&T's claim unless someone files a class action lawsuit against them.

The bottom line is AT&T really hates us the unlimited data users.

RipplingHurst

Feb 18, 2011
California
Here's what I find crazy...
I get messages taht I'll get throttled when I hit around the 2gb area. However, if was on the 3gb plan, I wouldn't get throttled even if I went over the 3gb, I'd just get charged more.

This was confirmed to me by the operator. She told me that it depends on the area, and it can vary month to month in the SAME area, in principle. I ask her to confirm this, and she did.

She also confirmed me that a 3GB user won't be throttled even if he is past 3GB, because then AT&T can charge him to support the needed speed and usage.

scarfacecjm

Jul 18, 2011
I will consume as much as I want!!!!!!!!

I have the Unlimited Data and I've been throttled... But changed the APN and the Network and Im at 10mb of speed, not the used 30mb here in Puerto Rico but 10 its still good. Im at 31gb this month and getting upper. I will download as much as I want because Im paying for it... PERIOD!!!!!!!

RipplingHurst

Feb 18, 2011
California
But isnt it the opposite? *I* am the top 5%, or so they say. So im the one slowing down the 500MB folks..

I would be lucky if all users around me used 5-10GB or more because then with my usage I would never reach the top 5% and be throttled...heck one guy with 30GB usage will screw.them...how can we verify this?

Crazy logic it seems.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I957 using xda premium

Last edited:

jimmer411

Jul 15, 2009
I regularly use 7-10gb a month with my Atrix and have yet to get a text. I sometimes stream pandora for 8 hours at a time but mostly 30-45mins a day on the way home.

Do you guys that get the text tether at all?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    We need an Occupy ATT. I am the 5%

Sent from my MB508 using xda premium
    I wish the people who throw around the phrase "abusing the network" would take a step back and see what a tool of the carriers that makes them look like. Carriers invented the term for the sole purpose of disguising their greedy, money grab tactics.

A person abusing the network would be someone maliciously damaging or negatively impacting it, such as someone writing a script to constantly download random data just to purposely tie up bandwidth. 99.9% of the people you disparagers are calling abusers are not! They're just users who happen to be heavy users.

The internet has evolved, and with it, many wonderful sites and services. They're there to be used and enjoyed, and mobile networks were created to make them more accessible! There's nothing wrong with using the network as intended. In any population there will be a distribution of usage levels from very heavy to very light, with most averaging in the middle. The very light balance the very heavy. What we're seeing here with the people on grandfathered unlimited plans is the natural usage level, which carriers are trying to restrict and shape into more profit. But if there's no malignant intent, there's no abuse.

The wireless carriers are raking in record profits; they have plenty of cash to build out to suit demand. They simply find it more profitable and easier to abuse their monopolistic power in this thoroughly screwed wireless market by jacking up prices and using anti-competitive measures like long contracts and device exclusivities and non-interoperability to keep customers, rather than improving service. Of course every company pursues profits above all, rightfully so, but in this broken system, the carriers are the abusers, of their customer base!

So please, stop echoing the carriers' misused term of network abuser!

(Btw, I average ~300MB per month, so I'm a pretty light user, but I still stand up for others rights.)

Also when using acronyms for gigabyte and megabyte you do not need to put a "s" to make it plural, it's just GB and MB. Also for transfer rates it's either:

GBPS - Gigabits per second
    GBps - Gigabytes per second
    MBPS - Megabits per second
    MBps - Megabytes per second

Also note that there is a huge difference in bits and bytes.

You got that wrong. the "p", which stands for per, is always lower case. It's the "B" which is either upper or lower case depending on bits or bytes.

b = bit
    B = byte

There are 8 bits per byte.

Megabit per second = Mbit/s, Mb/s, or Mbps
    Megabyte per second = MB/s or MBps
    Giga... = same as Mega but G in place of M

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_rate_units
    If its UNLIMITED the its supposed to be UNLIMITED OK. Not unlimited 2 kbps:)

Sent from my SGH-T989 using xda premium

If it really bothers you, then switch to the 3gb data plan.

If it bothers you even more, file an official FCC complaint. Many people already have.

We throttle the top 5%. The top 5% varies per market. I regularly pass 10gb and I have had no message on my personal account.

And think about what your other options are.
    -2gb on T-Mobile
    -Limited LTE data on Verizon, same as us. (they throttle too)
    -Sprint - sure you get unlimited. but they have the slowest data out of all the carriers
    You call it greed? Fine.

I call it business. They're all out to make money. It's a pretty simple concept. If you don't like it, you don't HAVE to use their products.

It's insulting to imply that someone you don't know is "sheeple". I try to have a big picture view, not just what benefits me personally.

If anything, your view can be seen as sheeple, since it's shared by the masses. But I won't be the one to say it. You can have your opinion, and I can have mine. I don't see why you came out of your cave to even do this.

That's fine for most businesses, but not wireless carriers. If BMW wants to require you sign a 2 year contract to buy only their gasoline at $12 a gallon in order to purchase one of their cars, no problem! Anybody can start up a car company, and there are many car companies out there, so competition keeps things reasonable.

Wireless spectrum is a limited resource that belongs to the people and is leased to wireless carriers. There is a huge barrier to startup and strict limitations due to the limited spectrum. Unchecked corporate greed is NOT ok here; regulation is needed, and currently our wireless market is in the ****ter, with competition almost non-existant beyond cursory motions for appearance.
    Data throttling...?
    I have unlimited data but I'm not familiar with this term can you explain this to me