[Q] Should I root?

Search This thread

weepingphoenix

Jan 26, 2014
I have a Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4 and I'm trying to decide whether I want to root or not. I've never rooted a phone before but I have found detailed instructions on how to do it which seem pretty simple. Really, the only reason I want to root is to A)take off the ridiculous stock apps I never use, and B)so I can download the app gameCIH for a game I play all the time. Is it worth doing just for those reasons? I've heard that once you root you can't get the automatic updates from your provider any more when they update to a new operating system. How would I upgrade if that's the case? Can I still download apps from the Google Play store if I'm rooted? Sorry for all the questions, I'm just really new to this. Thank you for your help!

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011
I have a Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4 and I'm trying to decide whether I want to root or not. I've never rooted a phone before but I have found detailed instructions on how to do it which seem pretty simple. Really, the only reason I want to root is to A)take off the ridiculous stock apps I never use, and B)so I can download the app gameCIH for a game I play all the time. Is it worth doing just for those reasons? I've heard that once you root you can't get the automatic updates from your provider any more when they update to a new operating system. How would I upgrade if that's the case? Can I still download apps from the Google Play store if I'm rooted? Sorry for all the questions, I'm just really new to this. Thank you for your help!

Good question, I rooted mine to enjoy the Titanum backup adblocker for all those free apps and others like you mentioned, however, you're right, the OTA would failed!! I always disabled the OTA update using root, make a full back up of my all my download apps, export my contacts or backup to cloud. Once a new firmware released, I just Odin the new firmware, re-root then do a batch restore of all my download apps with data. Another thing to consider is that the new firmware may block the root patch so you may have to wait until a root method is available for the new firmware before you take action.
Another option is uninstall root (there is an option in SuperSu to do this), then take the OTA update. If some how it failed you can alway revert back to the Odin method. I found that your phone probably will run better when you Odin the full firmware than to take the OTA upgrade.

Reactions: weepingphoenix

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Good question, I rooted mine to enjoy the Titanum backup adblocker for all those free apps and others like you mentioned, however, you're right, the OTA would failed!! I always disabled the OTA update using root, make a full back up of my all my download apps, export my contacts or backup to cloud. Once a new firmware released, I just Odin the new firmware, re-root then do a batch restore of all my download apps with data. Another thing to consider is that the new firmware may block the root patch so you may have to wait until a root method is available for the new firmware before you take action.
    Another option is uninstall root (there is an option in SuperSu to do this), then take the OTA update. If some how it failed you can alway revert back to the Odin method. I found that your phone probably will run better when you Odin the full firmware than to take the OTA upgrade.