Can't flash custom rom (MDK)

Search This thread
D

Deleted member 5759809

Hi All - Long time listener, first time caller.

I have a Verizon S4 and have been running stock root for a while now. I'm looking to install Carbon ROM. For some reason, when I try to flash it, I get the "Unauthorized Software" message that pops up after it completes and reboots. My only option is to boot back into TWRP and restore from backup. Everything that I've read says that it's because my bootloader isn't unlocked, but I can't figure out how to do it.

Is there something else I need to do? I'm on Ubuntu, so I can't really run the Windows things (unless Odin, for example, works through VIrtualbox? I haven't tried because there are general virtual USB issues that have soft bricked other devices I've had.)

I'm definitely on MDK (I froze the Samsung updater) and my initial effort to root was done on a friend's computer with Odin using these instructions: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2290798.

Running through the forum, I've tried:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2606501 (Followed the MDK links which go to below)
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2578569 (it just talks about rooting which I already have)

I'm sure there's a step somewhere that I've missed, but I can't see the forest through the trees. Anything obvious that I didn't do?

The only other things I can think of that could get me there:
1. Update to the latest firmware and then just give in and use safestrap (not ideal)
2. Could I re-flash to the pre-release kernel and then go directly to CarbonROM? Will I need to reflash to the release-version of MDK after?

Open to suggestions.

jamesd1085

Dec 6, 2012
Newark

I have a Verizon S4 and have been running stock root for a while now. I'm looking to install Carbon ROM. For some reason, when I try to flash it, I get the "Unauthorized Software" message that pops up after it completes and reboots. My only option is to boot back into TWRP and restore from backup. Everything that I've read says that it's because my bootloader isn't unlocked, but I can't figure out how to do it.

Is there something else I need to do? I'm on Ubuntu, so I can't really run the Windows things (unless Odin, for example, works through VIrtualbox? I haven't tried because there are general virtual USB issues that have soft bricked other devices I've had.)

I'm definitely on MDK (I froze the Samsung updater) and my initial effort to root was done on a friend's computer with Odin using these instructions: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2290798.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2606501 (Followed the MDK links which go to below)
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2578569 (it just talks about rooting which I already have)

I'm sure there's a step somewhere that I've missed, but I can't see the forest through the trees. Anything obvious that I didn't do?

1. Update to the latest firmware and then just give in and use safestrap (not ideal)
2. Could I re-flash to the pre-release kernel and then go directly to CarbonROM? Will I need to reflash to the release-version of MDK after?

Open to suggestions.

The ROM may not have Loki support...if you are using the older twrp version it may not auto lokify the ROM...try updating your recovery and give it another go

Mistertac

Oct 22, 2013
Springfield, Ma

Open to suggestions.

I would recommend trying out Philz ( cwm ) recovery possibly. There have been random issues like yours reported and usually updating the recovery or just trying a different ROM all together gets better results.
You shouldn't need to go back to stock mdk for anything since you're already rooted and have a custom recovery.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 5759809

Thanks for the suggestions. I did update my recovery, but now that I think of it, I may not have tried to re-flash since upgrading. My preference is to not use CWM, but I will if I have to, I guess.

In either case, I'll try this all out when I get home from work and post back. Thanks for the suggestions.

Reactions: Mistertac

Mistertac

Oct 22, 2013
Springfield, Ma
Thanks for the suggestions. I did update my recovery, but now that I think of it, I may not have tried to re-flash since upgrading. My preference is to not use CWM, but I will if I have to, I guess.

In either case, I'll try this all out when I get home from work and post back. Thanks for the suggestions.

Let me suggest trying liquid smooth 4.4

Awesome ROM to try.

joshm.1219

May 7, 2013
Philadelphia

Open to suggestions.

I would try their suggestions. For future reference though, you can use heimdall instead of Odin on Linux. I love it I think its better than odin

Sent from my unknown using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 5759809

Ok, so I updated TWRP to the latest and tried again. Got the same message as before about unauthorized software and in the upper left, it said something about "Fail: Kernal"

From there, I had a hard time getting back into recovery. It would either say it was booting into recovery and then shut off or it would freeze. I eventually got back in and am restoring now.

Thanks for the information on Heimdall - I wasn't aware of it. The reason I wanted to go with Carbon is that it has a built-in application to control/override application permissions. Does something like that exist for LiquidRom? Or is it compatible with PDroid or something similar? (I didn't see a mention of it in their features, but might have missed it)

One more thought: I am using the Carbon nightlies for KK. Maybe there's a problem with the source file (I've redownloaded 4 times)? Or maybe I'm just destined to be on stock forever. :crying:

Edit: I just tried putting Philz recovery on and now I can't get into recovery as that's now giving the same unauthorized software message.
Edit2: I was able to get TWRP on eventually by going into Odin mode and hitting "Cancel." Each normal reboot would then give the same unauthorized message, so I just went back to TWRP and it's booting normally again. Ah, yay to Verizon and their locked phones.

Ok, I've tried a few more times tonight with no luck, so I'll give it a break for now and look into it more tomorrow or over the weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mistertac

Oct 22, 2013
Springfield, Ma
Ok, so I updated TWRP to the latest and tried again. Got the same message as before about unauthorized software and in the upper left, it said something about "Fail: Kernal"

From there, I had a hard time getting back into recovery. It would either say it was booting into recovery and then shut off or it would freeze. I eventually got back in and am restoring now.

Thanks for the information on Heimdall - I wasn't aware of it. The reason I wanted to go with Carbon is that it has a built-in application to control/override application permissions. Does something like that exist for LiquidRom? Or is it compatible with PDroid or something similar? (I didn't see a mention of it in their features, but might have missed it)

One more thought: I am using the Carbon nightlies for KK. Maybe there's a problem with the source file (I've redownloaded 4 times)? Or maybe I'm just destined to be on stock forever. :crying:

Edit: I just tried putting Philz recovery on and now I can't get into recovery as that's now giving the same unauthorized software message.
Edit2: I was able to get TWRP on eventually by going into Odin mode and hitting "Cancel." Each normal reboot would then give the same unauthorized message, so I just went back to TWRP and it's booting normally again. Ah, yay to Verizon and their locked phones.

Ok, I've tried a few more times tonight with no luck, so I'll give it a break for now and look into it more tomorrow or over the weekend.

That's odd that flashing Philz didn't work for you. Its a pain I know but probably if you had wiped the phone with stock mdk then tried again it woukd have worked I bet. I had to do that with this phone when i got it. It came with twrp, but was acting real funny not always getting into recovery or just hanging up on reboot. But you have a working twrp so that's good too.

I don't believe liquid has the built in app permissions you're talking about but maybe I missed it. I don't really mess with permissions. Liquid has everything else though and then some!

I know some Roms were having problems with unified builds. I know liquid does not at this point. Maybe it'd be worth trying just so you're not on stock lol you may want to look into the Loki doki zip that you flash after flashing the ROM. I've seen some people on here using that when they were getting the same error you were. Just an idea.

Good luck man!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    D
    Deleted member 5759809