[Q] SGH-I337, where to start

Search This thread

TeChNoC4AzY

Nov 4, 2013
Kissimmee
So my friend has a galaxy s4 that he wants to root, custom recovery, roms.. Etc. So I was wondering where to start? I Have done this to a galaxy note 1. And I know Odin is needed but just would like help with the process for the s4, and possibly links to find what I need. Basically I will be helping with root and flashing a recovery. I know Samsung phones already have a unlocked bootloader. Any help will be thanked! :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

jmjoyas

Apr 5, 2013
Everything depends on the current firmware on the phone.

Sent from my SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

jd1639

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
So my friend has a galaxy s4 that he wants to root, custom recovery, roms.. Etc. So I was wondering where to start? I Have done this to a galaxy note 1. And I know Odin is needed but just would like help with the process for the s4, and possibly links to find what I need. Basically I will be helping with root and flashing a recovery. I know Samsung phones already have a unlocked bootloader. Any help will be thanked! :)

Do a lot of reading in the general forum. At&t i337 never had an unlocked bootloader

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

TeChNoC4AzY

Nov 4, 2013
Kissimmee
Nb1 is 4.4.2. Mk2 is 4.3. In a terminal emulator on your phone type
su
getprop ro.bootloader

It'll tell you what your on, look at the last few characters

So what firmware is needed to start the flashing process, recovery etc.

jd1639

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
So what firmware is needed to start the flashing process, recovery etc.

It depends on what firmware you're currently on. The s4 is not an easy device to root and rom and the roms available to you are only touch wiz based. You might want to consider not messing with your friends phone.

TeChNoC4AzY

Nov 4, 2013
Kissimmee
It depends on what firmware you're currently on. The s4 is not an easy device to root and rom and the roms available to you are only touch wiz based. You might want to consider not messing with your friends phone.

Maybe a video tutorial you know of to help me?