[REQ][DEV]Port Sense 3.5 lockscreen to Sense 2.1/3.0 hybrid ROMs

Search This thread

ZeGuitarist

Apr 16, 2011
Belgium
This thread is in Development because I mean to share a development idea that I had with the devs here. I don't have the knowledge or skill to work this out myself, so I'm hoping to start a discussion among devs who can do something with it.

Right. At the moment, Sense 2.1/3.0 hybrid ROMs are all using the Sense 3.0 lockscreen - but it's still an old version of that lockscreen, ported in the early days of the HTC Sensation (by seo if I'm correct). Resizing for the lower resolution on the Desire was necessary, and you can see that clearly on the lockscreen - icons and text appear slightly "squashed", and performance is slightly choppy as well.

However, on full Sense 3.5 ROMs ported from the HTC Runnymede, the lockscreen is graphically flawless, and it's lagfree as well, probably largely due to the fact that no resizing is involved. It's just a much better lockscreen than the Sense 3.0 one found in Sense 2.1/3.0 hybrids.

My question/idea is: could this properly sized Sense 3.5 lockscreen be ported from Bliss or Runnymede ROMs to work in Sense 2.1 ROMs?

I'm hoping for this to be a place for devs to discuss and hopefully work out this idea. Mods, if you still think this is in the wrong place, feel free to move.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

ZeGuitarist

Apr 16, 2011
Belgium
Both of which are based on Runnymede RUUs. Keep in mind that the question is to port the lockscreen from Sense 3.5, not from a single specific Sense 3.5 ROM - so the base will come from HTC, not from any custom ROM developer here.

In other words, this question is pretty much irrelevant.

ZeGuitarist

Apr 16, 2011
Belgium
Might have a go if you want. Something different. Not for a couple of days though. Sense isn't my thing but smali /apktool is. I'll pm when I can.
Many thanks, man! Looking forward to it.

I was hoping we could do most of our communication in this thread, though. That way, other devs could chip in wherever help may be needed. And that could be welcome, if Sense really isn't your thing :p

Hoping to see as much dev input as possible here, and it seems we're off to a great start. Thanks again!

lenny_kano

I was hoping we could do most of our communication in this thread, though. That way, other devs could chip in wherever help may be needed. And that could be welcome, if Sense really isn't your thing :p

Hoping to see as much dev input as possible here, and it seems we're off to a great start. Thanks again!

Ok no probs. I have enough pms for porting and mods, a thread would be a good change :p

No promises, but ill do my best to have it done this weekend. It's not that I'm anti-sense, but I've always been on my miui builds (for at least 8 of the 11 months I've owned an android phone). Fingers crossed :).

lenny_kano

Which 2.1+3.0 Rom do you use at the moment? I already have a few 3.5 zips so can get the lockscreen easy enough, just need to know which Rom to use when doing the porting /testing? (and so I can see what you mean about the visual problems.)

Still won't know how big a task it is until I look tomorrow.

Spatnonkl

Sep 6, 2010
His signature says he is using the Alex-V's ROM.
I haven't tried Alex-V 1.8 ROM yet, but i use InsertCoin for years now. I'd love to see it in InsertCoin 1.1.4 as well. I'll stay tuned.

Reactions: live_0978

ZeGuitarist

Apr 16, 2011
Belgium
Which 2.1+3.0 Rom do you use at the moment? I already have a few 3.5 zips so can get the lockscreen easy enough, just need to know which Rom to use when doing the porting /testing? (and so I can see what you mean about the visual problems.)

Still won't know how big a task it is until I look tomorrow.
I'm on Alex-V 1.8 for cm7r2 now, the link is in my sig. I don't think there's much of a difference with other 2.1/3.0 ROMs (like InsertCoin), if any difference at all - as far as the lockscreen goes, that is. They all use different implementations of a2sd (standard, data++, ad2sdx, even int2sd), which probably needs looking into.

And take your time. It's already immensely appreciated that you're willing to look into it in the first place.

Reactions: howdid

island3r

Mar 30, 2011
This looks like a very interesting project. To be honest though, I don't think a hacked up version of the ring lockscreen will go any faster on sense 2.1 roms.
If you check out any pure Sense 3 port you will see that the lockscreen is way smoother than any 2.1/3.0 hybrid or even a 3.5 rom, even with all the resizing.
In my opinion it all comes down to framework changes between sense versions.

But anyway, I guess a good starting point would be a smali by smali compare between an original sense3 htclockscreen.apk and one from the hybrid roms to roughly see what needs changing. Then you could try to apply the same modifications in the 3.5 lockscreen apk.

ZeGuitarist

Apr 16, 2011
Belgium
This looks like a very interesting project. To be honest though, I don't think a hacked up version of the ring lockscreen will go any faster on sense 2.1 roms.
If you check out any pure Sense 3 port you will see that the lockscreen is way smoother than any 2.1/3.0 hybrid or even a 3.5 rom, even with all the resizing.
In my opinion it all comes down to framework changes between sense versions.
Possibly, but in any case we'd still lose the graphical imperfections of the old, resized Sense 3.0 lockscreen. In Sense 3.5, the ring is a lot bigger too - it sticks out further from the bottom, making it easier to grab and unlock. Even just graphically, it's better than the current lockscreen.

Also, nobody's ever tried this, so we'd never know if it'll be faster. ;)

But anyway, I guess a good starting point would be a smali by smali compare between an original sense3 htclockscreen.apk and one from the hybrid roms to roughly see what needs changing. Then you could try to apply the same modifications in the 3.5 lockscreen apk.
I concur. Thanks for your input!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This thread is in Development because I mean to share a development idea that I had with the devs here. I don't have the knowledge or skill to work this out myself, so I'm hoping to start a discussion among devs who can do something with it.

Right. At the moment, Sense 2.1/3.0 hybrid ROMs are all using the Sense 3.0 lockscreen - but it's still an old version of that lockscreen, ported in the early days of the HTC Sensation (by seo if I'm correct). Resizing for the lower resolution on the Desire was necessary, and you can see that clearly on the lockscreen - icons and text appear slightly "squashed", and performance is slightly choppy as well.

However, on full Sense 3.5 ROMs ported from the HTC Runnymede, the lockscreen is graphically flawless, and it's lagfree as well, probably largely due to the fact that no resizing is involved. It's just a much better lockscreen than the Sense 3.0 one found in Sense 2.1/3.0 hybrids.

My question/idea is: could this properly sized Sense 3.5 lockscreen be ported from Bliss or Runnymede ROMs to work in Sense 2.1 ROMs?

I'm hoping for this to be a place for devs to discuss and hopefully work out this idea. Mods, if you still think this is in the wrong place, feel free to move.

Thanks in advance!
    Bump. I'm hoping at least one of the few developers still left here could look into this.

Might have a go if you want. Something different. Not for a couple of days though. Sense isn't my thing but smali /apktool is. I'll pm when I can.

Ok no probs. I have enough pms for porting and mods, a thread would be a good change :p

No promises, but ill do my best to have it done this weekend. It's not that I'm anti-sense, but I've always been on my miui builds (for at least 8 of the 11 months I've owned an android phone). Fingers crossed :).
    Is there a way to "install" Sense 3.0 lockscreen on Sense 1.9 (stock HTC gingerbread for Desire)? :p

Not without modifying it, and no, I have no plans to look at anything else sense related, sorry.

Please stay on topic.
    Trust me, I know what needs doing ;)

How hard it is to do is the question, porting apks between frameworks is fairly simple unless they are massively different and the apk is hugely dependent on it.

I had miui v4 themes working on evervolv by hand porting the code, and ported apks between frameworks before so have a fair idea what needs doing .