[Info][WIP] LET's FIGURE OUT the sleep of Death!!!! [NOT A ROM]

Search This thread

pitfuze

Nov 13, 2008
Very interesting. I will try this today. My screen timeout is always set to 2 minutes or 1 minute.

~~

On another note. when I am logging via ADB, I can't get SoD to happen reliably. Same as running Terminal.

As soon as I stop logging, SoD instantly. So the act of piping these logs to another file is preventing the tablet from sleeping.

Any other ideas for retrieving logs?
My SODs had subsided for a few days since removing Wizz. Nothing running as a widget that updates from remote left. However I just got another after playing with web/IP camera programs.

(btw, more SODs, like every couple hours, when I was using ADW Launcher.)

Would your logging trouble indicate that using the logcat live wallpaper would keep SOD away? And if not, then where does that wallpaper store the log while displaying? Might there be any quantity of log remaining? If the SOD still occurs with it running, would the last image of the wallpaper show anything useful?

Aryantes

Oct 7, 2010
My SODs had subsided for a few days since removing Wizz. Nothing running as a widget that updates from remote left. However I just got another after playing with web/IP camera programs.

(btw, more SODs, like every couple hours, when I was using ADW Launcher.)

Would your logging trouble indicate that using the logcat live wallpaper would keep SOD away? And if not, then where does that wallpaper store the log while displaying? Might there be any quantity of log remaining? If the SOD still occurs with it running, would the last image of the wallpaper show anything useful?

If you can prevent the thing from going into sleep mode, it will never SoD. This sleep mode is the one where pressing the keyboard dock unlock button doesn't wake it anymore. Different from screen timeout.

Since I have a running process that is actively writing to disk, its likely that this is preventing it from sleeping, until there is some period of inactivity in the log.

I guess it would be a workaround, run something in a terminal that just does something forever.

The log files are already written to disk, but we're just writing it to another location as well.

If I recall, some of these logs are deleted upon bootup. (could be totally wrong here) so it might be necessary to constantly copy before crashing.

Got one more log.
http://pastebin.com/jsy9Zvup

EP2008

Jan 2, 2008
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Got another two... both happening shortly after I connect the tablet to the dock. So I either use the tablet in full dock mode or throw away my keyboard... neither option is looking good.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

chrisjm00

Jul 29, 2007
Nottingham, MD
I've had one already, and only had this TF since Wednesday. Mine did it when fully charged, still on the charger. I went to wake it up and it had shut itself down. Only Widgets I have are beautiful Widgets, one screen with maybe a dozen icons. Has anyone found a common factor to all of this? Rooted, unrooted, what apps people are using and so on? What are the charge levels when this happens? Oh yeah, I don't have the keyboard dock and still got it.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using XDA Premium App

Aryantes

Oct 7, 2010
I've had one already, and only had this TF since Wednesday. Mine did it when fully charged, still on the charger. I went to wake it up and it had shut itself down. Only Widgets I have are beautiful Widgets, one screen with maybe a dozen icons. Has anyone found a common factor to all of this? Rooted, unrooted, what apps people are using and so on? What are the charge levels when this happens? Oh yeah, I don't have the keyboard dock and still got it.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using XDA Premium App

I've not tested on an unrooted device.

I do get the sleep of death on a fresh install of a prime rom, or any other rom.

In other words, install rom, leave every single setting at default, get SoD soon thereafter. Then I try playing around with settings to see if they make a difference but it seems to always happen.

Now testing the lower screen timeout.

If you get this problem often, then try grabbing a few log files from the instructions posted a few pages back. Hopefully glitterballs is still around.

david_ag

Feb 10, 2009
Miami, FL
I was getting Sleep of Death issues after rooting, and overclocking my TF. I had overcloked it to 1.6 Ghz. I scaled that back to 1.4 Ghz, and I've had zero SOD issues anymore.

Hope it helps!

Aryantes

Oct 7, 2010
I upgraded to HC 3.2 using Prime 1.7 alpha and had no more sleep of death issues for a few days.

Now, I am using Prime 1.7 beta and still have no SoD.

I hope this is a cure!

gee one

Jul 29, 2010
linux command line
I did some unsavory flashes with nvflash and I get the SOD every single time!

I think it goes into APX mode too, but have to wait until I get home again to verify.

Is there anything I should check to add another data point before I try reflashing with something more normal?

This was on "stock" unrooted rom that I rooted. I think it had SOD with the "stock" version. Stock was a mkodded 8656 OTA flashed through a modded CWM and probably a low battery.

sent from my cyanogen(mod) vision

Last edited:

Disket

Dec 26, 2010
Been getting SOD since I got my TF on 3.1. Still getting it after updating to stock 3.2 and also after rooting it. One thing I noticed is that it never gets SOD when docked and charging. Other times, it's random. Mostly when undocked, at least for me.

gee one

Jul 29, 2010
linux command line
I ran fix permissions in CWM, which seemed to help. Before, it was SOD after every screen timeout.

I also noticed, before I fixed permissions, whenever I would click on a link in an email (gmail and stock asus/android) the screen would get dim. I don't have a default browser set, so I would expect it to pop up a dialogue box. After fixing permissions, it worked as expected.

Disket

Dec 26, 2010
I ran fix permissions in CWM, which seemed to help. Before, it was SOD after every screen timeout.

I also noticed, before I fixed permissions, whenever I would click on a link in an email (gmail and stock asus/android) the screen would get dim. I don't have a default browser set, so I would expect it to pop up a dialogue box. After fixing permissions, it worked as expected.

How long have you gone without SOD since fixing permissions?

techbeck

Aug 22, 2009
Never had sleep issues myself. On Prime 1.6 and working great. I didnt root using the PURE method since CWM never EVER would install. In fact, when I ran the CWM bat file, it said it installed but messed up the ROM and stock recovery. So I had to ODIN back to stock.

I ended up installing Prime 1.4 which rooted my phone and installed CWM. Then I updated to Prime 1.6.

republicano

Mar 11, 2010
i was happy about my tf101 Till i read this post, i didnt know SOD happend, i have all those background data services off except the one required for the market,disabled automatic updates for my widgets, have it in auto brightness and i use wifi alot, done this since i got this (1 week) and no issues so far, not rooted on 3.2.screen timeout 30 secs, and auto rotate disabled.
i have system panel on to record my data for abnormal signs,no issue so far

fonze73

May 7, 2011
No SOD after RMA

I sent mine in for RMA because of the SOD issue, started doing it while I was on a business trip. They replaced a "daughter board" (and the LCD due to a stuck pixel). I have not had any problem since. Running stock 3.2. I have a B4O unit.

Henry

EP2008

Jan 2, 2008
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I sent mine in for RMA because of the SOD issue, started doing it while I was on a business trip. They replaced a "daughter board" (and the LCD due to a stuck pixel). I have not had any problem since. Running stock 3.2. I have a B4O unit.

Henry

I'd be curious to know how that fixed the SOD issue, since it's common with every Android tablet running all versions of the Android OS.

If it is a hardware issue, this will be the last ASUS product I'll be getting - with light bleed, dock battery drain (apparently a hardware issue), speaker problems and now SOD (apparently a hardware issue), it's not worth the money for "dollar store" quality.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Jedi223

Oct 5, 2008
For the people interested. (and what this thread was intended for before people spammed all over :D )
Here are a bunch of crashdumps from my (badly SOD'ing) transformer.

All completely random and all mentioned 'fixes' have no effect whatsoever.

Attachments

• EeepadSODs.zip
    785.1 KB · Views: 10

gee one

Jul 29, 2010
linux command line
OK, I reflashed to a sane image and the SOD is gone completely. I never had them before I flashed the franken-file, so I think it was either a bad flash because of a low battery or just incompatible bits and pieces rammed together with nvflash.

Disket

Dec 26, 2010
OK, I reflashed to a sane image and the SOD is gone completely. I never had them before I flashed the franken-file, so I think it was either a bad flash because of a low battery or just incompatible bits and pieces rammed together with nvflash.

What do you mean by 'sane image' and 'franken-file'?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If you combine the WIFI speculation with the Fancy Widget speculation you get:

periodic data usage while screen off.

IT COULD BE ASUS' WIDGET!!!

someone who gets them All the Time should try deleting their widget
    It really makes me a sad panda when people post stuff every day with stuff liek

No sleep death for me since 3.1
    Oh...I still get sleep death since 3.1

No sleep death when I use/don't use auto brightness
    Oh, I still get sleep when I use/don't use auto brightness

No sleep death when I sprinkle the blood of a virgin unicorn on my Transformer at night
    Oh...I still get sleep death when I sprinkle the blood of a virgin unicorn on my Transformer at night

If you want to see progress on this, please go back a few pages (posted about two weeks ago), see where I posted instructions on logging the kernel messages, and when you get a sleep death, POST A LINK to the output. If you guys just want to have a thread where you post random userspace tweaks that AREN'T going to work (or even if they did, you shouldn't accept that THAT is what you had to do to not get random shutdowns), you're more than welcome to, but it's really not going to get us anywhere.
    Does anyone have a logcat from their dead transformer, during/around the time when it died?

Has anyone noticed any trends in when it happens? I saw something about 82% battery but I think that's just a coincidence.

Please post here so we can get to the bottom of this.

Jcarrz1
    I think this is dev, unless it's a hardware issue. But hopefully we'll be able to discern that.
    Unrooted, getting about one or two of these a day depending...... seems to happen more if I've left it sleeping for an hour or more.
    Unrooted, getting about one or two of these a day depending...... seems to happen more if I've left it sleeping for an hour or more.

this could relate to wifi scanning as well. were you connected, and what are your current settings?

Thanks for participating everyone, so far there isn't a conclusive answer.

However, could someone install log collector from the market, and leave it there until the BlackSOD happens, and then upload the file? that would be super awesome. preferably someone who gets them all the time. if the last thing in the logcat is consistently wifi-related, then we're on to something.

is there any firmware version on which NOBODY has EVER had a BlackSOD? This could be worth looking in to as well.