Root your Razr M now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

aviwdoowks

Sep 18, 2012
I am on the latest ota. Just got the phone. I have tried motochopper 1.2 and it says that it was successful after rebooting the phone etc. But when I go to super user it says the su binary is out of date. So I tap ok to update the su binary and it says failed. Can someone help? Thanks

Sent from my HTCONE using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2
You need ver 112 See prev post.

Reactions: treIII

Dominus_69

Sep 22, 2013
RAZR M Rooting failure

Factory reset and reroot

Sent from my XT907 using xda app-developers app

I'm having the same problem, factory reset then tried "motofail2go" and "motochopper". Neither worked. This is a new phone. I bricked my last one dinking with ROMTOOLBOX trying to change some icons or something silly like that. Anyhow, I have a replacement, same model from Verizon and can't root it to save my rear. Any suggestions or clues out there ?

RikRong

Feb 16, 2013
Google Pixel 5
Google Pixel 6a
I'm having the same problem, factory reset then tried "motofail2go" and "motochopper". Neither worked. This is a new phone. I bricked my last one dinking with ROMTOOLBOX trying to change some icons or something silly like that. Anyhow, I have a replacement, same model from Verizon and can't root it to save my rear. Any suggestions or clues out there ?

Motofail was for 4.1.1. Look for Motochopper 1.3 to root the most current 4.1.2 it's over on Droidrzr.com.

rtgnj42

Nov 21, 2013
Question: the batch file is where you find the instructions, correct? when i open it on my computer it just displays the directory I opened it from. There are no instructions. I can't figure out what to do.

r3flux

Feb 2, 2009
indroid.info
For those of us on the 98.30.1 update there is currently no working Root exploit. Stuck with out root and a locked bootloader. I hate this!

dbreed53

Jun 13, 2013
Fordland, MO
Samsung Galaxy A21s
Thanks!

Thanks! My RAZR M is on 4.1.2, BUT, has Sys. Ver. 98.30.1.XT907.Verizon.en.US AND Build # 9.8.1Q-94-1, so I can probably not apply anything useful, but I was able to ROOT the phone, which I confirmed with "Root Browser" and "Simple Root Checker".
I am able to see all the ROOT folders with Root Browser.
SimpleRoot Checker reports "Terminal does Rooted" and "Busybox not installed"

Now, I will do a factory reset to see what build/Sys Ver I have.
It is a new phone that replaced my STOLEN RAZR XT912 that I was QUITE fond of.
I have had issues with this device and have another refurbished, replacement XT907 sitting next to it with;
9.8.1Q-78-1 that should also have 4.1.2 on it.

Before I send this 1st one back, what should I do to unroot it?

Dan (@djrbliss) has posted the root method.

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=32888705&postcount=1

Despite my strong belief that people who are interested in rooting should buy devices with unlocked bootloaders instead of expecting the magical hackers in the sky to give out free exploits (which are in short supply), I'm once again continuing to encourage bad behavior by publishing another root exploit:

http://vulnfactory.org/public/motofail2go_windows.zip

Instructions:

1. Download and extract the entire zip file.

2. Ensure your device is connected via USB and that you have installed the latest ADB drivers from Motorola.

3. Double-click "run.bat" and FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS. The exploit will ask you to press a button combination at one point.

If the exploit prints an error saying something like "run-as: Package 'com.motorola.bug2go' is unknown", then unfortunately you will have to wipe your data and cache partitions and try again.

This exploit should work on the Razr M, Atrix HD, Photon Q, Razr i (you might need to replace some of the binaries with x86 versions?), and the upcoming Razr HD.

Paypal:
http://goo.gl/zBGb0

RikRong

Feb 16, 2013
Google Pixel 5
Google Pixel 6a
Thanks! My RAZR M is on 4.1.2, BUT, has Sys. Ver. 98.30.1.XT907.Verizon.en.US AND Build # 9.8.1Q-94-1, so I can probably not apply anything useful, but I was able to ROOT the phone, which I confirmed with "Root Browser" and "Simple Root Checker".
I am able to see all the ROOT folders with Root Browser.
SimpleRoot Checker reports "Terminal does Rooted" and "Busybox not installed"

Now, I will do a factory reset to see what build/Sys Ver I have.
It is a new phone that replaced my STOLEN RAZR XT912 that I was QUITE fond of.
I have had issues with this device and have another refurbished, replacement XT907 sitting next to it with;
9.8.1Q-78-1 that should also have 4.1.2 on it.

Before I send this 1st one back, what should I do to unroot it?
Are you sure you're on that version? This method won't root that. As a matter of fact, there isn't a root method for the latest OTA. Is your bootloader unlocked?

dbreed53

Jun 13, 2013
Fordland, MO
Samsung Galaxy A21s
Welllll......

Are you sure you're on that version? This method won't root that. As a matter of fact, there isn't a root method for the latest OTA. Is your bootloader unlocked?

Well, RikRong,

I am SURE of what I posted. I read the details from "about phone" in the Settings menu, before I did anything.
I am SURE that I used the JRUMMY APPS, INC. Root Browser and was able to see everything in the root of the phone.
I am SURE I was seeing the same directory structure as I had on my rooted, AOKP ROM'd, Unlocked, Rooted RAZR XT912 before this.
I am SURE the phone was on a different version when it arrived because as soon as I had it setup, it informed me there was an OTA update and, not knowing any better, I allowed it to update. Oops!:crying: :eek:

I am SURE that I am thoroughly confused :confused: at this point about HOW to UNDO ROOT on the RAZR M XT907!!!

I am HESITANT to return it AS IS. I am NOT SURE it will be a problem, but would like to CMA just the same.;)

Have you any suggestions?:fingers-crossed:

I have found MORE here at XDA than I can digest, and am getting dizzy trying to make sense of it.:(

PS. I am UNSURE if the bootloader is unlocked. How do I check that?

Last edited:

aviwdoowks

Sep 18, 2012
From anywhere.
Press & keep holding all keys until screenout. Toggle power. Choose ap fastboot . Vol down to scroll. Vol up to select. Info is on that screen.

Last edited:

dbreed53

Jun 13, 2013
Fordland, MO
Samsung Galaxy A21s
Am I "dazed & amazed" or "bemused & confused" ??

Press all & hold all keys till screenout. Keep holding & toggle pwr. Choose ap fastboot . Vol dn to scroll. Vol up to select. Info is on that screen.

Got it!

AP Fastboot Flash Mode (S)
10.9B(*) (sha-139ff557, 2013-09-26 13:20:55)
eMMC Info: Size 8GB

Device is LOCKED, Status Code: 0

Battery OK

Transfer Mode:
USB Connected

Fastboot Reason: Boot menu selected
usb connected

This was displayed. Then I hit the power button to reboot.
So, that answers the unlocked/locked bootloader question.
It IS locked.
So now, "how do I UNroot it?"
Or should the question be, "can I UNroot it?":confused:

aviwdoowks

Sep 18, 2012
Got it!

AP Fastboot Flash Mode (S)
10.9B(*) (sha-139ff557, 2013-09-26 13:20:55)
eMMC Info: Size 8GB

Device is LOCKED, Status Code: 0

Battery OK

Transfer Mode:
USB Connected

Fastboot Reason: Boot menu selected
usb connected

This was displayed. Then I hit the power button to reboot.
So, that answers the unlocked/locked bootloader question.
It IS locked.
So now, "how do I UNroot it?"
Or should the question be, "can I UNroot it?":confused:

Voodoo

My stickys : can 98.... be rooted. Do that link.
Temp un root & uninstall voodoo!

Last edited:

ezknives

Jul 21, 2013
Won't super user still be there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Dan (@djrbliss) has posted the root method.

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=32888705&postcount=1

Despite my strong belief that people who are interested in rooting should buy devices with unlocked bootloaders instead of expecting the magical hackers in the sky to give out free exploits (which are in short supply), I'm once again continuing to encourage bad behavior by publishing another root exploit:

http://vulnfactory.org/public/motofail2go_windows.zip

Instructions:

1. Download and extract the entire zip file.

2. Ensure your device is connected via USB and that you have installed the latest ADB drivers from Motorola.

3. Double-click "run.bat" and FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS. The exploit will ask you to press a button combination at one point.

If the exploit prints an error saying something like "run-as: Package 'com.motorola.bug2go' is unknown", then unfortunately you will have to wipe your data and cache partitions and try again.

This exploit should work on the Razr M, Atrix HD, Photon Q, Razr i (you might need to replace some of the binaries with x86 versions?), and the upcoming Razr HD.

Paypal:
    http://goo.gl/zBGb0
    Glad to see he came out of retirement. Thanks to all of y'all, especially Dan!

Everyone who uses this exploit should be sending djrbliss a few bucks.
    It's the least we can do as users to support his consistently excellent and unique contribution to our community.
    There is nobody else in the same league doing this kind of work for us.
    You can't buy it for any amount of money... ;)
    At the end, mine says exploit completed and it reboots but there is no superuser or anything. I tried to install SU from the market but no root. What next?

EDIT: Went here as suggested and replaced SU and Superuser and it worked fine: http://aosp.us/?p=294
    Executed with no errors. Window claimed success. Yet no superuser or root after reboot??

I replaced su and Superuser.apk in the zip with the same files from the root package on aosp.us. It worked then.
    I'm running the official JB OTA. Just tried the root exploit and it worked like a charm. Here's what I did.

- Factory reset my device
    - Replaced the Superuser.apk and Su binaries with the latest ones from here: http://androidsu.com/superuser/ Or you can just grab the zip attached here. That will work.
    - Turn on USB debugging
    - Run the batch file as administrator (not sure if this is necessary, but people had been reporting success, so I did it that way). To do so just right click and choose "run as administrator".
    - Make sure you hold volume up + power for long enough. You will get one quick vibration, but that's not the one you want. The second is the one you're looking for, it comes ~5 seconds later.
    - Hit enter to reboot and you're rooted. Very simple.

I verified root access with Root Checker, TiBu, etc..