Updated 24.11- Galaxy Nexus Volume problem is hardware related...but fixable by soft?

Search This thread

w1nter456

Oct 9, 2010
Well, as you can see from the video below, the guy set the highest volume, then place the smartphone near the Galaxy Nexus and the Galaxy Nexus respond to it. This is CLEARLY hardware issues. This could be the real reason Verzion still haven't release the Galaxy Nexus yet.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIFRYY25fDo
Thanks dnlsmy.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_mO_K7OYR0

Update 1
Google "We are aware of the volume issue and have developed a fix. We will update devices as soon as possible."(and you holding it wrong xDD) jk

Update 2: Lee Johnston explain of "volumegate" issue
Let's talk about the Google Nexus "volumegate" issue.

Today Google said that they have fixed the problem in software, and that a fix is coming.
I see many people saying this is a bunch of BS, but in reality they just have no idea how complex electronic circuits and software interact.

I'm a Systems Engineer and also a Developer. I deal with things like this every day.

What we have here is indeed a hardware issue, in that the radio interference is coming in through the radio hardware.
However things like this can be fix fairly easily in software. It's called debounce.
When you monitor an electronic input like the buttons on a phone there is always noise and flutter even when you just press the button. If testing by Google has shown that they just need to turn up the debounce time (the time which an input must exceed for it to be determined to be a genuine press) then it will more than likely just work and no one will ever see ti again.

Like I said I deal with this kind of thing every day, it's not a big deal as long as your debounce time is not excessive. But noise happens down on the order of 1 to 40 ms, real inputs when you press a button last from 100 or 200ms if you tap the button, up to seconds if you hold it down.

This is nothing like Apple and the iPhone 4 antennae problems that could not be fixed in software. I'm sure everyone will see in due time, the problem will be fixed, and the dust will blow over.

And people will be saying "wow, I was wrong, Google rocks

Cheers,

Lee

Finally, Where is the GSM HSPA+ 32GB version of Galaxy Nexus??????!!!

Last edited:

TiltedAz

Oct 19, 2007
I wasn't sure what the test was but it looked inconclusive to me. Almost looks random.

martonikaj

Nov 20, 2010
Seattle, WA
I wasn't sure what the test was but it looked inconclusive to me. Almost looks random.

He has an incoming call on the other device. When it touches the side of the Galaxy Nexus it causes the volume to erratically go down/up. It just shows that the radios are effecting the volume.

This would fit with people saying its happening when the phone is in 2G networks.

TiltedAz

Oct 19, 2007
He has an incoming call on the other device. When it touches the side of the Galaxy Nexus it causes the volume to erratically go down/up. It just shows that the radios are effecting the volume.

This would fit with people saying its happening when the phone is in 2G networks.

Ok, gotcha.

Still could be software and even if it were hardware a little software patch could resolve it.

smalltownbird

Jan 27, 2010
My bionic which I know is a different device does something similar. When I put it next to my corded work phone and the bionic switches to 4g it causes the speaker on my work phone to male a distortion noise even when it is hung up. So I can see where the radios cause some sort of interference on these 4g phones

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

vash1053

Oct 21, 2010
Last edited:

DammitCubs

Aug 21, 2011
Does this affect certain frequencies. It seems like the signals are affected in the US. Only UK signals?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using XDA App

oscillik

Mar 19, 2009
Widnes

chandlerweb

May 12, 2010
I was able to replicate the second video demo by setting the gNexus to 2G only, wifi off and making a call from a HTC Desire a few millimetres away. I appreciate this is an uncommon scenario but others who experience it in daily use so it must be an internal radio that is affecting other parts of the internals.

oscillik

Mar 19, 2009
Widnes
I was able to replicate the second video demo by setting the gNexus to 2G only, wifi off and making a call from a HTC Desire a few millimetres away. I appreciate this is an uncommon scenario but others who experience it in daily use so it must be an internal radio that is affecting other parts of the internals.

yes, exactly - the internal radio on the Galaxy Nexus is causing the problem. that is why those of us who have been affected by this hardware defect have been so vocal about it.

Danrarbc

Oct 19, 2010
Sadly no. The phone was shown to be affected even whilst in the bootloader-- a place unaffected by the OS software and everything that it contains.

Edit: Here is the video of it being affected at the bootloader: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_mO_K7OYR0
Does the bootloader also have a linux kernel or is it lower-level than that? If there is a kernel there is a remote possibility the issue is there. A kernel update in the OS also might make it possible to filter out the RF interference by analyzing what's going in (although that's not too likely).

Either way, the phone needs a hardware rev to improve shielding.

marcogiudice

Jun 15, 2010
J-town, fl
This is why I effing hate Samsung they always screw something up... Looks like the g-nex us going to be a big failure.. Hint hint goggle you should of stick with HTC to make your nexus line phones

oscillik

Mar 19, 2009
Widnes
Does the bootloader also have a linux kernel or is it lower-level than that? If there is a kernel there is a remote possibility the issue is there. A kernel update in the OS also might make it possible to filter out the RF interference by analyzing what's going in (although that's not too likely).

the bootloader is akin to a BIOS on a computer. it is very low level.

it needs a hardware fix.

Reactions: GN_ICS

Danrarbc

Oct 19, 2010

it needs a hardware fix.
Yeah, figured it was. And trying to work around it by analyzing radio signals to detect if it is a real button press or interference would be very hard too, they're going to have to do something about the phones already sold - this is a huge issue.

qnet

Oct 26, 2011
ATL
www.network-creations.net
This is indeed bad. I guess this makes my decision easier about getting one from Hantec. Hopefully the Verizon version doen't have this issue since it uses different frequencies however, this may be the reason they haven't released it yet.

GN_ICS

Nov 19, 2011
Nexus exchange?

The fact that Samsung have begun replying to peoples comments on their UK Facebook page asking for an email to be sent to technical support including their home address suggest they intend to replace the phone. It`s a great phone and it should never have happened but it`s how Samsung/Google deal with it.

For those who haven’t read the Facebook comment from Samsung :

Samsung UK Hi *, to ensure we investigate thoroughly could you please send the following details to uk.technical@samsung.com: Serial Number, IMEI number, date of purchase, place of purchase, details of issue
your name, address and phone number. We will get in touch as soon as we have more information.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well, as you can see from the video below, the guy set the highest volume, then place the smartphone near the Galaxy Nexus and the Galaxy Nexus respond to it. This is CLEARLY hardware issues. This could be the real reason Verzion still haven't release the Galaxy Nexus yet.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIFRYY25fDo
    Thanks dnlsmy.
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_mO_K7OYR0

Update 1
    Google "We are aware of the volume issue and have developed a fix. We will update devices as soon as possible."(and you holding it wrong xDD) jk

Update 2: Lee Johnston explain of "volumegate" issue
    Let's talk about the Google Nexus "volumegate" issue.

Today Google said that they have fixed the problem in software, and that a fix is coming.
    I see many people saying this is a bunch of BS, but in reality they just have no idea how complex electronic circuits and software interact.

I'm a Systems Engineer and also a Developer. I deal with things like this every day.

What we have here is indeed a hardware issue, in that the radio interference is coming in through the radio hardware.
    However things like this can be fix fairly easily in software. It's called debounce.
    When you monitor an electronic input like the buttons on a phone there is always noise and flutter even when you just press the button. If testing by Google has shown that they just need to turn up the debounce time (the time which an input must exceed for it to be determined to be a genuine press) then it will more than likely just work and no one will ever see ti again.

Like I said I deal with this kind of thing every day, it's not a big deal as long as your debounce time is not excessive. But noise happens down on the order of 1 to 40 ms, real inputs when you press a button last from 100 or 200ms if you tap the button, up to seconds if you hold it down.

This is nothing like Apple and the iPhone 4 antennae problems that could not be fixed in software. I'm sure everyone will see in due time, the problem will be fixed, and the dust will blow over.

And people will be saying "wow, I was wrong, Google rocks

Cheers,

Lee

Finally, Where is the GSM HSPA+ 32GB version of Galaxy Nexus??????!!!
    Our devices were updated tonight to ICL52 4.0.2 but I don't think P3Droid stated that the issue was fixed by this update and we have no way to verify that because neither of us has experienced the problem. Our devices are different in a number of ways from those experiencing this issue and neither of us is in a place where 900MHz EMI exists nor do we have an RF generator to test for it.

We also hear conflicting info from various sources and have to sift through and piece it together ourselves to assess its substance.
    Things get conflated and distorted rather quickly in this environment and change rapidly so clear, unbiased information is virtually impossible to ascertain.
    I must apologise to everyone of you that I have smacked down regarding the 4.0.2 update that had looked to be specific to Verizon.

I just had a conversation with Romain Guy, Android engineer and he has confirmed that they are working on a software fix.

True to my word, I am admitting when I was wrong. I sincerely apologise for being so brusque with many users in this thread and others on this particular matter.

I still firmly believe that this is a hardware fault, however. But my apology here is regarding the 4.0.2 update that was mistakenly thought to be only for the Verizon version of the Galaxy Nexus.

it needs a hardware fix.