Review: Samsung Infuse Vehicle Mount Dock for Skyrocket for DESKTOP use

Search This thread

hpolack

Jan 17, 2011
Docking Output

Anything fresh on Audio output from the docking. I am using the Infuse that I modified so it is VERY nice and tight, but the lack of Audio out is the last piece to the puzzle. I have tried Sound Redirector along with everything else.

BTW, anyone interested in how I made the Infuse work tight, just ping me here and I will explain the benefits of a heat gun :)

crispy1805

Oct 3, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 5
A heat gun you say...

I heard the new Bluetooth stack solved a lot of car dock issues. I doubt this one, but I have yet to try it. I will in a few and report back later.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using XDA

hpolack

Jan 17, 2011
My Friend the Heat Gun

You will not believe how well my Skyrocket fits the Infuse dock after I modified it with a heat gun. It actually now clicks into the dock and even requires that you push the release tab to get it out.

Here is what I did, but I am in no way responsible for your screwing up your dock by following my instructions. I am happy to take a short video of docking and removing the Skyrocket if anyone wants to see how well it fits.

I unclipped the mount from the suction cup base. To do this it slides left and out(if you have it upside down it would be the other way, just look at the back). Then I took out a pair of rawhide gloves and a heat gun. On the low setting, from about 3-4 inches away, I heated both the back and the front the corner holding pieces at the base of where they attach. Use a circular motion so as not to melt anyone section and basically apply the heat to front for 30 seconds and then the back for 30 seconds for a total of about 3 min per corner. I heated both left corners (away from the sliding usb attachment). Then, I placed the phone in the mount, slid the USB attachment in place and using my gloved hand pushed hard on the left corners diagonally toward the center of the phone at the very top of the corners and held it that way for 5 min while the mount cooled. I proceeded to do the same with the right side corners next, but wrapped the USB attachment in aluminum foil first. Before forcing the right corners in, I took off the aluminum foil and slid the USB attachment into the mounted phone, so that I would not pinch the corners so tight that the slider would not work.

Let the holder cool for 30-60 min completely and then try clipping in your phone. If it is not snug repeat the steps and probably heat the corners a little longer. I just heated them enough to bend with a little force, but not be so loose they warped.

Good Luck!

vigilante_blues

May 12, 2012
Wow my first post, I have been creepin way too long on here anyways I just bought one of these beautiful car docks and was wondering if anyone found a way to get the audio to work through the 3.5 mm jack on the dock?

jayr4410

Feb 7, 2012
Have you considered using bluetooth audio?
I use the blackberry bluetooth stereo adapter plugged into my auxiliary on my car and have my skyrocket connect to the bluetooth stereo.
It's a good solution for me because I have an auxiliary input and charger located in my console since the blackberry adapter needs power.
The sound doesn't blast because of traveling over bluetooth (I'm guessing), but I'd say it reaches about 90%.

Reactions: vigilante_blues

martinnr

Dec 9, 2007
Lima
No news?

Almost two weeks since the last post.... has anybody got the 3.5mm jack on the dock actually work?

Thks
Martin

Charles:

Feb 18, 2007

kawyboy

Sep 27, 2010
Oswego
Great Dock. I just purchased one from the ATT store. They had to have it shipped because it was not in stock. Got the dock for free. They had a deal if you spend a $150.00 or more get $40.00 off. I was shopping for a blue tooth.
So I got bluetooth, dock, and speaker for The price of the bluetooth.
I love the dock. Fit is good. USB hold phone fine.
I am running a couple versions of the ICS leak and SkyICS mostly.
Have the samsung car dock app.
The dock will trigger the car dock app. But still no USB audio.
Still searching for answers.
Still a great purchase just for charging and viewing your phone.

---------- Post added at 08:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 PM ----------

Response from a Developer who was able to get the usb audio working on his
Samsung Infuse:
Can't help you with ****rocket... COMPLETELY different hardware architecture including, I believe, a completely different USB port switching IC.

This is about all the help I can give you:
If the kernel properly supports docks, /sys/class/switch/dock/state will be 2 when a cardock is attached

Samsung Car Home sends the proper intents to Samsung's framework to change the dock audio routing. If you've tried Samsung Car Home and its dock audio routing isn't working - you're SOL on Touchwizz firmwares.

ElBeaner

Feb 22, 2012
Dallas
I got it working with my car stereo via USB.

The way I got it to work, as soon as I connected the USB to the stereo(charge/sync) I hit the USB debug option from the pull down menu. If I waited too long, my stereo would time out.

I think the issue most are having(and not realizing) is that you have to change the folder your stereo is trying to get audio from.

For me, for some reason everytime I connect, my stereo defaults to the navigation folder(so I hear random nav directions to start with)

All I would do is folder up/down(on the stereo) until I found the correct folder holding my music on the phone. once I had that, I was able to listen to the music(and control basic functions - play/pause/skip - from the stereo).

I have not tried it with streaming music(ie iHeartRadio/Pandora) but I am willing to try.

Now, it could just be my stereo can do this(but it is 2 years old already - and never been updated) but not sure.

Reactions: crispy1805

CZ Eddie

Sep 27, 2011
Austin, TX
I got it working with my car stereo via USB.

The way I got it to work, as soon as I connected the USB to the stereo(charge/sync) I hit the USB debug option from the pull down menu. If I waited too long, my stereo would time out.

I think the issue most are having(and not realizing) is that you have to change the folder your stereo is trying to get audio from.

For me, for some reason everytime I connect, my stereo defaults to the navigation folder(so I hear random nav directions to start with)

All I would do is folder up/down(on the stereo) until I found the correct folder holding my music on the phone. once I had that, I was able to listen to the music(and control basic functions - play/pause/skip - from the stereo).

I have not tried it with streaming music(ie iHeartRadio/Pandora) but I am willing to try.

Now, it could just be my stereo can do this(but it is 2 years old already - and never been updated) but not sure.

Great to hear!
I couldn't duplicate this, but I'm on a custom ROM so that may be why.
Can you tell us what ROM you're using and if you're using the Samsung docking software?

lpfansether

Aug 25, 2010
Has anyone tried the galaxy sound redirector app on the play store? I had a captivate with a dock and xcaliburhand got it working and built that app before Samsung released an update that enabled sound via usb/3.5mm through the dock. I just ordered an infuse car dock since it seems like Samsung/ATT refuse to release one for the skyrocket :mad:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Works GREAT as a desktop dock.

It stays put on my desk. I can poke the screen all I want and it doesn't budge. I can whack the sides or top and the phone doesn't fall out.
    It's quick & easy to use one hand to put the phone in and remove it and connect it.

I just need to find a widget that allows me to turn on/off the 3.5mm headphone jack on the phone. And then this will be perfect. It synchs with your computer & charges the phone.
    There is also software that turns it into "car mode" but I didn't install that.

Get it here for $20 shipped. Mine arrived in two-days.
    Vehicle Mount - Samsung Infuse 4G - Cell Phone Accessories - from AT&T

VIDEO of me putting phone in dock, connecting the USB and then removing the phone:
    MVI 3863 - YouTube

VIDEO of me using the phone in the dock. If you see what looks like cloths hangers on the screen, that's just a reflection of what's behind me.
    MVI 3860 - YouTube

VIDEO of my "oops". Or something. O:)
    MVI 3862 - YouTube

Pic of the micro USB and 3.5mm audio output jack. You can also see the knob that tightens or loosens the swivel function.
    IMG_3847.jpg

You can see that the mount is a tiny bit big for the Skyrocket, but it's a bonus since it allows you to easily put the phone in there. But it's not loose enough that it will fall out. I use this in my car also and once the USB is plugged in, the phone is not going anywhere!
    IMG_3843.jpg

IMG_3844.jpg

Landscape mode + cables.
    IMG_3845.jpg

I gave up on the suction cup and connected the sticky pad it comes with. Been in one spot for a couple hours now and I've banged away at it and the phone hasn't budged. It's a very solid surface when poking the screen with your fingers.
    IMG_3864.jpg
    This may be exactly what I am looking for. I have the SGP Neo Hybrid case on my phone. Not sure if you are familiar with it but it is very low profile. Just wondering how much extra room there is. Do you think it would accommodate a low profile case?

It's not that loose of a fit, fortunately. Or unfortunately in this case.
    I have the SGP Ultra Capsule which is slimmer than the Neo Hybrid and it will not fit.
    Infuse Car Dock & Heat Gun

I am not responsible for you ruining your Infuse holder!

You need to disconnect the clip from the holder first. I used a heat gun to heat up each corner on the back of the holder doing a side at the time. After warming up the plastic in the corners I popped my SkyRocket in (with gloves on) and pushed in and sideways with the USB connected engaged so it would slide freely when I was done. BE VERY CAREFUL NOT TO MELT IT (you need to heat up slowly with circular motion and watch for bubbling or deforming).

I use a Decal Girl on the back of my phone to protect the back and that is it. My phone pops in and I have to physically use the release tab to get my phone out of the Infuse car dock. It clips in like a glove as if it was made for the phone. I tried using it without bending the corners in and it was very iffy even with USB engaged.

If anyone is interested in seeing a video of how well it clips in and if there was any damage, I would be happy to upload some. BTW, I am hoping to try ICS to try and get the audio jack working.
    My Friend the Heat Gun

You will not believe how well my Skyrocket fits the Infuse dock after I modified it with a heat gun. It actually now clicks into the dock and even requires that you push the release tab to get it out.

Here is what I did, but I am in no way responsible for your screwing up your dock by following my instructions. I am happy to take a short video of docking and removing the Skyrocket if anyone wants to see how well it fits.

I unclipped the mount from the suction cup base. To do this it slides left and out(if you have it upside down it would be the other way, just look at the back). Then I took out a pair of rawhide gloves and a heat gun. On the low setting, from about 3-4 inches away, I heated both the back and the front the corner holding pieces at the base of where they attach. Use a circular motion so as not to melt anyone section and basically apply the heat to front for 30 seconds and then the back for 30 seconds for a total of about 3 min per corner. I heated both left corners (away from the sliding usb attachment). Then, I placed the phone in the mount, slid the USB attachment in place and using my gloved hand pushed hard on the left corners diagonally toward the center of the phone at the very top of the corners and held it that way for 5 min while the mount cooled. I proceeded to do the same with the right side corners next, but wrapped the USB attachment in aluminum foil first. Before forcing the right corners in, I took off the aluminum foil and slid the USB attachment into the mounted phone, so that I would not pinch the corners so tight that the slider would not work.

Let the holder cool for 30-60 min completely and then try clipping in your phone. If it is not snug repeat the steps and probably heat the corners a little longer. I just heated them enough to bend with a little force, but not be so loose they warped.

Good Luck!