Apex performance issue

Search This thread

mrshark

Apr 3, 2007
who ?
because in aosp i have zero pb
go in play store page for the app, look for CONTACT THE DEVELOPER and do it... bugs will never be resolved if you do not let the original developer know about them... everybody here use the term OPENSOURCE and forget one of its basis: collaboration... which means produce code, documentation, or simply testing an app and reporting bugs... even more if you paid for it...

Last edited:

aussiebum

Dec 5, 2008
Have a look at this post.

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=23212755&postcount=1

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium

Yeah that's a useful build.prop property.

I'm using Apex Launcher (free) and have not had 20-40+sec redraw problems before or after that build.prop tweak.

I *have* had redraws prior to the tweak but it's only taken about 5 sec max. I don't have "Keep in Memory" ticked in Apex settings.

EDIT -> Hmm, getting the black screen too now. Seems to happen when I usually press back to get Home.

EDIT 2 -> The black screen for me seems to be a sign of system instability. When I get the black screen, sometimes the SystemUI crashes instead. Need to check what might be causing the instability...

Strongly suggest anyone moving onto LPY roms (custom or stock) to perform a factory reset / wipe first and using Titanium Backup or some other app to restore.

Was getting really laggy performance on LPY until I wiped (I just did a factory reset using *STOCK* LPY kernel... didn't brick).

Another massively useful build.prop tweak is setting the Max Events setting... scrolling etc is *much* smoother with this.

Code:
windowsmgr.max_events_per_sec=150

---------- Post added at 10:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 AM ----------

Does Apex Launcher have themes I can apply like go launcher and other launchers?

yes. search Play

Last edited:

brolee93

Jan 1, 2009
XDA city
150 or 250

Yeah that's a useful build.prop property.

I'm using Apex Launcher (free) and have not had 20-40+sec redraw problems before or after that build.prop tweak.

I *have* had redraws prior to the tweak but it's only taken about 5 sec max. I don't have "Keep in Memory" ticked in Apex settings.

EDIT -> Hmm, getting the black screen too now. Seems to happen when I usually press back to get Home.

EDIT 2 -> The black screen for me seems to be a sign of system instability. When I get the black screen, sometimes the SystemUI crashes instead. Need to check what might be causing the instability...

Strongly suggest anyone moving onto LPY roms (custom or stock) to perform a factory reset / wipe first and using Titanium Backup or some other app to restore.

Was getting really laggy performance on LPY until I wiped (I just did a factory reset using *STOCK* LPY kernel... didn't brick).

Another massively useful build.prop tweak is setting the Max Events setting... scrolling etc is *much* smoother with this.

Code:
windowsmgr.max_events_per_sec=150

---------- Post added at 10:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 AM ----------

yes. search Play

In my build i have
Code:
windowsmgr.max_events_per_sec=250
it is ok for you ?

ryan562

Feb 28, 2010
i just switched to nova launcher for the hell of it and dam....nova runs twice as smooth as fast on the note. gonna be sticking with nova launcher until the apex dev updates his app to work better with the note.

spacetaxi

Nov 9, 2010
i just switched to nova launcher for the hell of it and dam....nova runs twice as smooth as fast on the note. gonna be sticking with nova launcher until the apex dev updates his app to work better with the note.

I did the same and I'm really satisfied with Nova, as it runs as expected. Maybe I'll retry Apex in a few weeks/months...

aussiebum

Dec 5, 2008
I did the same and I'm really satisfied with Nova, as it runs as expected. Maybe I'll retry Apex in a few weeks/months...

yeah... I messaged the dev on the official Apex beta thread and he/she has no idea what's wrong. Volunteered to test [EDIT], in contact with dev atm, no fix yet.

Using Nova in the meantime. No where near as smooth for me compared to Apex but at least no black screen annoyances.

Last edited:

aussiebum

Dec 5, 2008
Update: have been speaking with the Apex dev to try sort out issue.

In the meantime, I've noticed that I get the black screen issue much less often with the below settings (also posted on the Apex beta thread):

* Check on "Keep in Memory" in Apex Settings. Note having the build.prop "HOME_APP_ADJ=1" property is NOT the same thing!
* Disable "Enable Root Helper" in Apex Settings
* If using custom lockscreen like WidgetLocker, set Transition Animation -> NONE.

The combination of the "Keep in Memory" and "Transition Animation -> None" helped me a lot. With those particular settings set I've only had two black screen issues occur instead of practically every time I switch out of another app -> home, or when unlocking.

EdgaBimbam

Nov 26, 2011
Vilnius
www.google.lt
Update: have been speaking with the Apex dev to try sort out issue.

In the meantime, I've noticed that I get the black screen issue much less often with the below settings (also posted on the Apex beta thread):

* Check on "Keep in Memory" in Apex Settings. Note having the build.prop "HOME_APP_ADJ=1" property is NOT the same thing!
* Disable "Enable Root Helper" in Apex Settings
* If using custom lockscreen like WidgetLocker, set Transition Animation -> NONE.

The combination of the "Keep in Memory" and "Transition Animation -> None" helped me a lot. With those particular settings set I've only had two black screen issues occur instead of practically every time I switch out of another app -> home, or when unlocking.

try latest stable version 1.2.0, for me it is so smooth.

dhruvmalik

Dec 30, 2007
Chicago / India
Yep, just updated and selected Keep In Memory. Has not happened to me for over a few hours. Although it was quite rare for me, but annoying as I would usually have to lock the screen and come back to it in 30 seconds.

Glad to know its not just me.

springer.music

Dec 15, 2010
Planet Earth
ASUS ZenFone 6 (2019)
Re: Apex, I've just tried this which seems to reduce a bit the lag on transitions:

Apex settings > Homescreen settings > Hide icon labels (enable this)

I've tried Apex, Nova and Go Launcher Ex extensively in the last few days.
I get lags with both Apex and Nova - most noticeably when opening folders with 5 or more apps.

I have to say that with my current set up (Galaxy Note with stock ICS + root), the smoothest launcher is now Go Launcher Ex (ver. 3.0.1).

Go Launcher was laggy under GB, but since the update to ICS and the new Go update (3.0, now 3.0.1) things have changed dramatically.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I had the same problem (I flashed LPY twice using Mobile Odin Pro and did a factory reset in an attempt to solve the problem :p) and it seems like TouchWiz launcher is in the way.

After I froze TouchWiz launcher using Titanium Backup, Apex works just fine.

@tw15tr:
    I did that at the time and it didn't solve my problem so I unticked that option (and still is today)
    Nova got the same problems as Apex, but less often.
    I mailed with both devs, although Kevin from Teslacoil was much more responsive, so he got the 3 bucks from me :)

The problem is, that there is probably a bug in the ICS-ROM. This doesn't concern only Nova and Apex, but more Apps which use the hardware acceleration by default. You can easily switch to /data/tombstones and look into those text files. Those are memory prints from crashed apps, maximum 10 files in there. Sometimes it is Nova, sometimes another faulty app.

I found out that the LPF kernel crashes less often than the LPY kernel, so flash it over your LPY-ICS and you are fine. I flashed the LR1 modem too and got better reception by the way.

Yes, the problem is not gone, but with Nova I had the most less issues in time. Otherwise switch to GB or use LauncherPro, this hadn't lagged once.
    Have a look at this post.

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=23212755&postcount=1

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium
    contacting directly the apex developer is so difficult?
    I've posted our problem in on the Apex thread of xda..hopefully we can get some help there.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=26143868#post26143868

Edit: I also emailed the dev via their main page. Hopefully we can get some answers.