[APP] OblyTile - Tile Creator for all programs.

Search This thread

Ndaoud360

Oct 19, 2009
can u let the user pick the photo size because it is making them way to big for the tile and I dont like that im reverting to the first version until fixed.

The icon name is covering the picture because it's so big.

My preference for all icon sizes to me is 103x99 fits perfectly without overlapping.

Last edited:

m3nster

Sep 21, 2009
Amsterdam
Nice app! But any change to choose if the tile will be one space or 2 spaces big?

I lost my Desktop icon, now i got it back, but it so small :confused:

Argony-OT

Sep 22, 2012
can u let the user pick the photo size because it is making them way to big for the tile and I dont like that im reverting to the first version until fixed.

The icon name is covering the picture because it's so big.

My preference for all icon sizes to me is 103x99 fits perfectly without overlapping.
Hi, you must resize your picture manually, if i will get more request about image resize function for OblyTile, i will add it.

Nice app! But any change to choose if the tile will be one space or 2 spaces big?

I lost my Desktop icon, now i got it back, but it so small :confused:

Hi, OblyTile supports only "Normal" (Square) Tiles, i hope to find a way to create Wide Tiles.

0.7 Is pretty nice! I feel that adding just some more colour (isn't it possible to directly let users choose the color in RGB value?) would make it great! Also, the option for rectangular tiles would make it perfect :p
Actually i cant add a RGB Color Function for OblyTile.

Last edited:

Ndaoud360

Oct 19, 2009
Hi, you must resize your picture manually, if i will get more request about image resize function for OblyTile, i will add it.

I did resize manually but the app keeps resizing by it's self over writing my file size.

EDIT: OP helped fix my problem. THANKS!

Last edited:

Argony-OT

Sep 22, 2012
I did resize manually but the app keeps resizing by it's self over writing my file size.
I sent you a pm with a possible solution to your problem.
Hope it helps.

@m3nster To resolve, you can try to copy this file http://dl.dropbox.com/u/54377272/perisiti/Desktop.zip in %appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs folder.
If it didn't funcion, open as administrator cmd prompt command and write "sfc /scannow" without quotes
Nice one!

Reactions: Ndaoud360

Steve_Wade

Nov 30, 2006
Will not install

I get an error when trying to install Oblytile 0.7 - it comes up with Error 1 in a dialogue box, then a large .net error. I'm running the Microsoft Partner retail version of Windows 8 Professional 64 bit.

Argony-OT

Sep 22, 2012
I get an error when trying to install Oblytile 0.7 - it comes up with Error 1 in a dialogue box, then a large .net error. I'm running the Microsoft Partner retail version of Windows 8 Professional 64 bit.

Hi

I haven't tested the Microsoft Partner version of Windows 8, can you confirm the build number is 9200 as the RTM version?

Argony.

zlmitchell

May 25, 2012

Ditto. I've tried it on three separate machines all the same error. We are all running ver 9200 of Windows.
I got it to work at home but i am running the Release Candidate ver 8400.

http://pastebin.com/jDEM0gcS

Argony-OT

Sep 22, 2012

Ditto. I've tried it on three separate machines all the same error. We are all running ver 9200 of Windows.
I got it to work at home but i am running the Release Candidate ver 8400.

http://pastebin.com/jDEM0gcS

New version released, it should fix your problem.
Please let me know if the update works for you.

Argony.

Steve_Wade

Nov 30, 2006
OblyTile 0.7.1

Works fine now on Microsoft Partner full retail copy of Win 8 Pro 64 bit, many thanks for the quick response, I'm looking forward to your further development of this app, it's just what we need!

zlmitchell

May 25, 2012
Background Tile Color

The four current options that are available, how is that programmed? is it possible to have a see through option? so that we can have a .png with no background and it will use the color of the start menu to fill in the tile? or does that not work? Otherwise could you add the colors of the backgrounds of the Start screen? here are the hex colors on a nice site.

http://www.creepyed.com/2012/09/windows-8-colors-hex-code/
there is no grey on that site but it would be amazing if it was also included.

PS since there is so many how bout a nice drop down?

CajetanO

Sep 3, 2009
I really like your program and the effort you poured into it! As this was the windows 8 feature I missed most I'm happily recommending your program to all people using Windows 8 I know. As for custom tile designs... I hope kind of a "repository" for tile designs gets started in this thread, too. I already started creating some tile designs (mostly for old games like Diablo 2, Civilization 3, etc.), although they're only using artworks and wallpapers. I'm going for Modern Style-Icons though =)

zlmitchell

May 25, 2012
Tile Set

Here is the set of tiles i have been creating.

This is what i call my over sized plain high contrast pack. +-70 Icons

Windows Tile Set

I am starting to work on a High Resolution Realism set. If you are going to use the set and you have some specific programs you wish to have done please just pm me.

Please Thank me if you like them.

Last edited:

seahorsepip

Jan 22, 2012
Thanks finaly a app for this!!!

---------- Post added at 04:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:21 PM ----------

Hi, I've posted some screenshot of the evolution of my start page using OblyTile HERE, feel free to have a look if you'd like :)

Also, I've done a model for GIMP for creating tiles (including the right dimension of the image and the correct font and size of it) and a ZIP archives with the tiles i've created.

Some of them comes from a FANTASTIC metro UI tiles set that Devianart user ~dAKirby309 created. You can find the whole set HERE, check it out! The other ones are made by images of the games and the applications I own, searching 'em on Google Images.

Hope this helps the community! :)
Thanks for the XCF, Gimp FTW

lumpaywk

Mar 30, 2010
Portsmouth/Gosport
Not sure if this got said before but I have not seen it and noticed that if you set you default browser to say chrome then all the icons mess go blank. You get them back by defaulting back to IE.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This program is meant to create tiles to the Windows 8/8.1 start screen.

I created it in vb.net using SharpDevelop, it works for all programs/folder/files/websites.

The program will store the image files inside the folder "C:\Program Files\OblyTile" and create the Shortcut .LNK file inside the StartMenu folder.

If you want to remove a Tile, right click it on the start screen/menu and select "Remove From Start" or select a tile on the OblyTile Created Tile list and press the recycle bin button located on bottom right of OblyTile.

OblyTile has support for command line, you can check the list of available commands by running OblyTile with the "/?" as argument.

To remove OblyTile and revert to default windows settings you have to run OblyTile as administrator and click the Remove button located in the settings menu [Click the Wrench icon on top of OblyTile to access the settings menu]

Note: Do not expect a Windows 10 version anytime soon. Why?

Old Versions:
    OblyTile v0.5 (ChangeLog)
    OblyTile v0.7/0.7.1 (ChangeLog)
    OblyTile v0.8 (ChangeLog)
    OblyTile v0.8.2 (ChangeLog)
    OblyTile v0.8.6 (ChangeLog)
    OblyTile v0.8.8 (ChangeLog)
    OblyTile v0.9 (ChangeLog)
    OblyTile v0.9.1 (ChangeLog)
    OblyTile v0.9.5 (ChangeLog)
    OblyTile v0.9.7 (ChangeLog)
    OblyTile v0.9.8 (ChangeLog)

Latest Version:
    OblyTile v0.9.9

ChangeLog:
    • [Win 8.1] Added ability to pin the Tiles at different Sizes when created/edited. [Via UI or Command Line Arguments]
    • [Win 8.1] OblyTile will now export and import tiles in correct order and size. [No groups]
    • Added "Desktop" in the QuickList.
    • New tiles will be shown with proper name and icon on Classic Shell. [32px icon only]
    • Enhanced the OblyTile "Remove" function. [You can find it in the Settings menu]
    • Tile exporter will create a new backup folder just in case you want to keep old backups.
    • Possible fix for the Browser/Home keyboard button not opening the correct web browser.
    • Possible fix for the loop issue that causes OblyTile to open itself multiple times. (Thanks to Steel Froggy)
    • Fixed issue with the tile preview showing double borders.
    • Fixed issue with the Windows Store Apps list not being able to create desktop/taskbar shortcuts for certain apps.
    • Fixed other minor stuffs.
    • Small changes to the UI. [Dpi, Transitions, Context Menu]
    Known Issues:
    • Make a backup of your tiles before upgrading from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1, you might lose your custom tiles during the process of upgrade. (Thanks to LLJKRevol)
    • Tiles which contain accented letters in the tile name can be edited only by OblyTile v0.9.8 and above.
    • In order to launch the Immersive mode of your web browser by using a tile made with OblyTile, be sure to close the desktop version of it.
    • If the Browser/Home button doesn't work properly, open OblyTile and press the second button on top of OblyTile. (Rebuild cache)
    • If the tiles are not showed properly (a normal icon is showed) open OblyTile and press the second button on top of OblyTile. (Rebuild cache)
    • If the tiles are visible only on the "App" side of the start screen (Windows 8.1) open OblyTile and press the second button on top of OblyTile. (Rebuild cache)
    • Changing web browser will show multiple entry of Internet Explorer, Use "Set Default Programs" in Control Panel to change your default web browser and then press the Rebuild Cache button on OblyTile.
    • If "Rebuild cache" does not work, try >> this <<
    • In case of the error Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.ValidateKeyName or similar, try >> this <<
    • If the tile will not react when you click it (the program or file will not be opened) follow those steps VBScript - Fix
    • OblyTile does not work on some WinPE/WimBoot installations
    Tested on:
    Windows 8.1 Professional Build 9600 - 32/64 Bit
    Windows 8.1 Core Build 9600 - 64 Bit (Thanks to Timo)
    Windows 8 Professional Build 9200 - 32/64 Bit
    Windows 8 Enterprise Build 9200 - 32/64 Bit
    Microsoft Surface RT 32GB /w Jailbreak (Thanks to netham45)

Use this program at your own risk.

md5 Hash:
    f54db82cdf8b1cf13430db43b743ad22

Download from:

Firedrive:
    OblyTile v0.9.9.exe

OneDrive:
    OblyTile v0.9.9.exe

Mega:
    OblyTile v0.9.9.exe

Dropbox:
    OblyTile v0.9.9.exe

App Images:
    View attachment 2877100 View attachment 2362073 View attachment 1837929 View attachment 1505786 View attachment 1404991 View attachment 1358506
    Current State of OblyTile on Windows 10

Hey all,

To start; I'd like to thank all of you over the past 3 years for the support you've given me and the appreciation towards the work I've done. I really can't tell you how much it means and the confidence it has given me to explore what I do and continue improving.

I am trying my best to find a way for OblyTile to work on Windows 10, however I have stumbled in to some compatibility issues and so far I haven't figured out a way around these and just wanted to make you all aware that it may not be possible for OblyTile to work on Windows 10.

I'll keep trying.

With that being said, any progression I make will be updated right here. Along with any news or other possible avenues for me to explore. But don't expect anything in the immediate future as MS have changed the OS from their first builds and these issues aren't small as what was possible, is no longer.

Thank you once again,
    Argony.
    Tile Set

Here is the set of tiles i have been creating.

This is what i call my over sized plain high contrast pack. +-70 Icons

Windows Tile Set

I am starting to work on a High Resolution Realism set. If you are going to use the set and you have some specific programs you wish to have done please just pm me.

Please Thank me if you like them.
    Hi, I've posted some screenshot of the evolution of my start page using OblyTile HERE, feel free to have a look if you'd like :)

Also, I've done a model for GIMP for creating tiles (including the right dimension of the image and the correct font and size of it) and a ZIP archives with the tiles i've created.

Some of them comes from a FANTASTIC metro UI tiles set that Devianart user ~dAKirby309 created. You can find the whole set HERE, check it out! The other ones are made by images of the games and the applications I own, searching 'em on Google Images.

Hope this helps the community! :)
    Great app! Makes Windows 8 worth while. One small suggestion though, It would be nice if it made a 30x30 image automatically from the 120x120 image (or just have it as an option).

New version released! (v0.8.8)

The function you request is included on this new version.

Infos and Download on main page