Easy guide to twrp and 2nd bootloader

Search This thread

Opensystem

May 12, 2013
That's why this thread uses KFFA, to root no matter what update you're on

There are far better threads for these questions, where more qualified men than I can properly answer them. This is a guide for getting a 2nd bootloader easily, not for other people's Amazon zip's content

If there are any problems with how this tutorial works, or if it doesn't work for you, by all means ask away and I'll try to help. Otherwise, you must ask hashcode, or whomever you got the zip from, about it's contents

Sent from my Android Kindle Fire HD 7 Running Cyanogenmod 10.1

aztr0

Apr 17, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Worked great for the Recovery part. But can I exit it and return to the system?

It seems after the reboot, it just continues to boot to TWRP. I tried to reboot system, no cigar.

Last edited:

Opensystem

May 12, 2013
Worked great for the Recovery part. But can I exit it and return to the system?

It seems after the reboot, it just continues to boot to TWRP. I tried to reboot system, no cigar.

I would need more info to help. Did you go from step 1? Did you install a custom Rom or just twrp?

aztr0

Apr 17, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I would need more info to help. Did you go from step 1? Did you install a custom Rom or just twrp?

I figured it out. What I did was follow all your steps. I did not install any custom ROM at that point. But I did the Reboot to recovery, which caused the issue, since it set the Kindle to boot to recovery on a loop and I wasn't able to get out of that. I just ADB Sideloaded the CM10 ROM and installed the ROM. The device is working now.

Opensystem

May 12, 2013
I figured it out. What I did was follow all your steps. I did not install any custom ROM at that point. But I did the Reboot to recovery, which caused the issue, since it set the Kindle to boot to recovery on a loop and I wasn't able to get out of that. I just ADB Sideloaded the CM10 ROM and installed the ROM. The device is working now.

Good I'm glad that's sorted. Fireflash can do some damage if the files aren't all in place, I'm glad it was nothing serious :thumbup:

Opensystem

May 12, 2013
Glad to help! Be sure to get twrp 2.6 it loads so much faster

Sent from my Kindle Fire HD 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

N3RD420

Dec 20, 2011
detroit metro
I followed this guide word for word and it seemed to work great. I rebooted into TWRP to make a back-up, but now when i try to reboot to system all it does is a twrp bootloop... Any help would be much appreciated.:confused:

Opensystem

May 12, 2013
I followed this guide word for word and it seemed to work great. I rebooted into TWRP to make a back-up, but now when i try to reboot to system all it does is a twrp bootloop... Any help would be much appreciated.:confused:

I would attempt to flash a rom of some kind via twrp (make sure you inclued gapps if you don't flash stock Amazon) and see if the rom will then boot, should clear it up, the problem is you will have to adb sideload the rom.zip to flash it. I'm personally not too familiar with the process, but there are many threads on xda covering the subject

Let me know how it goes, or if you can't find a link on adb sideloading and I'll find us one. Good luck

And make sure you do a clean wipe too!

adamcullen

Sep 28, 2006
HELP

Step Eight: Now that your kindle has rebooted, open up the FireFlash app again. This time, you should see no warnings at the bootloader. If for some reason you do, STOP and retrace your steps. If you see no warnings, we're ready to install the 2nd bootloader and TWRP!! While still in FireFlash, under "boot partition" it should say "not flashed". Click on the "not flashed", and navigate to the "kfhd7-Freedom-boot-7.3.0.img" that we downloaded earlier. Check the box next to "apply stack override".

Now, under "recovery partition", again select the "not flashed" box and navigate this time to the "kfhd7-twrp 2.4.4.0-recovery.img". Once in place, check the "disable recovery auto update" box to the right. Now scroll to the bottom, to where it says "execute", and tap "Flash, install script" just like we did before with the bootloader.

[/LEFT]

I'm getting stuck here. I keep getting a window saying Flashing followed by a circle running round with Boot image next to it.

How long should this last?

Adam

Reactions: Opensystem

Opensystem

May 12, 2013
I'm getting stuck here. I keep getting a window saying Flashing followed by a circle running round with Boot image next to it.

How long should this last?

Adam

I sent you a PM, it shouldn't last that long. Once we sort it out, I'll make sure it makes it to this thread so if anyone else has the same problem they'll know how to fix it/ avoid it happening to begin with

Opensystem

May 12, 2013
Update: seems like fireflash didn't have root permissions with adamcullen's case. KFFA was able to revert him back to the 7.2.3 update, and from the start of the directions I've got posted on the thread he was able to get back to root and flash recovery successfully. If anyone else has this problem, please let me know : )

Reactions: LinearEquation

LinearEquation

Aug 26, 2013
Midwest
Update: seems like fireflash didn't have root permissions with adamcullen's case. KFFA was able to revert him back to the 7.2.3 update, and from the start of the directions I've got posted on the thread he was able to get back to root and flash recovery successfully. If anyone else has this problem, please let me know : )

A couple weeks ago, I followed some other well wrote instructions but got into a twrp bootloop as well. I eventually got it back to 7.4.6 rooted, etc. So I found this set of instructions that suggests flashing the older version of KFHD first then rebooting and then flashing recovery and freedom.

My question is this, can I just stick a rom zip on the root of the KFHD SD card before flashing the old kfhd and recovery and freedom? I ask this because if I get the same bootloop as before, I could just flash the rom? Is this possible or no? Thanks for your help.

Opensystem

May 12, 2013
A couple weeks ago, I followed some other well wrote instructions but got into a twrp bootloop as well. I eventually got it back to 7.4.6 rooted, etc. So I found this set of instructions that suggests flashing the older version of KFHD first then rebooting and then flashing recovery and freedom.

My question is this, can I just stick a rom zip on the root of the KFHD SD card before flashing the old kfhd and recovery and freedom? I ask this because if I get the same bootloop as before, I could just flash the rom? Is this possible or no? Thanks for your help.

I've done that, and had no problems flashing straight from my first boot. Just make sure you don't have any sketchy red bootloader warnings when you go to use fireflash for the big moment and you shouldn't even bootloop, but if you do and can get to twrp, should be no problem loading a custom Rom from there.

Let us all know how it goes, and good luck :)

LinearEquation

Aug 26, 2013
Midwest
I've done that, and had no problems flashing straight from my first boot. Just make sure you don't have any sketchy red bootloader warnings when you go to use fireflash for the big moment and you shouldn't even bootloop, but if you do and can get to twrp, should be no problem loading a custom Rom from there.

Let us all know how it goes, and good luck :)

Thanks for the response. I followed the instructions and it boots into twrp only. So now I need to side load the rom and appropriate gapp zip onto twrp via fastboot I assume? Any tips on that? Thanks again.

Edit --- I'm seeing #6 from seokhun write up. Looks like what I will try first. I'll try fast boot cable first.

Edit 2 - Fastboot only works with device turned off. In using my stock USB the driver for KFHD is not recognized. So I can't transferal at this point. Help please?

---------- Post added at 08:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:50 PM ----------

OK, so I have ADB side load engauge via fast boot cable. Says "now send the package you want to apply to the device with "adb sideload <filename>" thought I already did that. Still trying here.

Says "adb side load rom.zip" is no a recognized as an internal or external command operable program or batch file. My adb driver are up to date and fully working, that I can confirm. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

---------- Post added at 08:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:07 PM ----------

Using the USB cord (not fast boot cord) now as I think this is the only way to get ADB? If I am wrong pleases correct. I now get *cannot read 'sideload' * I know that my computer is not recognizing my KFHD7 when plugged into using the USB cord. I feel like I am so close but just need that one pointer to get me there. Any help is appreciated.

Also, I do have the rom.zip in the platform-tools folder as well. ADB driver binary is 1.0.3.1 so up to date.

Last edited:

LinearEquation

Aug 26, 2013
Midwest
Thanks for the response. I followed the instructions and it boots into twrp only. So now I need to side load the rom and appropriate gapp zip onto twrp via fastboot I assume? Any tips on that? Thanks again.

Edit --- I'm seeing #6 from seokhun write up. Looks like what I will try first. I'll try fast boot cable first.

Edit 2 - Fastboot only works with device turned off. In using my stock USB the driver for KFHD is not recognized. So I can't transferal at this point. Help please?

---------- Post added at 08:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:50 PM ----------

OK, so I have ADB side load engauge via fast boot cable. Says "now send the package you want to apply to the device with "adb sideload <filename>" thought I already did that. Still trying here.

Says "adb side load rom.zip" is no a recognized as an internal or external command operable program or batch file. My adb driver are up to date and fully working, that I can confirm. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

---------- Post added at 08:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:07 PM ----------

Using the USB cord (not fast boot cord) now as I think this is the only way to get ADB? If I am wrong pleases correct. I now get *cannot read 'sideload' * I know that my computer is not recognizing my KFHD7 when plugged into using the USB cord. I feel like I am so close but just need that one pointer to get me there. Any help is appreciated.

Also, I do have the rom.zip in the platform-tools folder as well. ADB driver binary is 1.0.3.1 so up to date.

Edit -- I have been trying to get ADB enable for some time now. I have the proper USB drivers in on my computer but keeps saying not the proper ones, which I know the are. Help?

Also, I wondered if the issue is in part because after the flashing, and going back a few firmwares, the drivers might be different for usb? In other words, if you start at 7.2, thos are the installed drivers but if you start at 7.4.6 and then flash, there is a different driver setup that now can't be recognized? Is this a possibility or are they the same?

LinearEquation

Aug 26, 2013
Midwest
Edit -- I have been trying to get ADB enable for some time now. I have the proper USB drivers in on my computer but keeps saying not the proper ones, which I know the are. Help?

Also, I wondered if the issue is in part because after the flashing, and going back a few firmwares, the drivers might be different for usb? In other words, if you start at 7.2, thos are the installed drivers but if you start at 7.4.6 and then flash, there is a different driver setup that now can't be recognized? Is this a possibility or are they the same?

I manually installed the adb drivers. Now, when usb is plugged in, the adb driver pops up. It also disappears when unplugged. The computer still does not have the kindle fire hd listed in computer when plugged in (like a flash drive would. Is this OK because the adb drivers are active and showing in the actual devices?

I can't seem to get CM-10.1-20130812 unofficial tate zip to push. Any help is appreciated. Almost midnight, would like to get this asuared around before bedtime. Please help/

Opensystem

May 12, 2013
I manually installed the adb drivers. Now, when usb is plugged in, the adb driver pops up. It also disappears when unplugged. The computer still does not have the kindle fire hd listed in computer when plugged in (like a flash drive would. Is this OK because the adb drivers are active and showing in the actual devices?

I can't seem to get CM-10.1-20130812 unofficial tate zip to push. Any help is appreciated. Almost midnight, would like to get this asuared around before bedtime. Please help/

Hey buddy sorry for the late response. When in device manager, does it list your kindle as an "adb device"?

I won't have internet until tomorrow, I'm out atm. If you get too frustrated with the adb thing, you can try using KFFA to revert to update 7.2.3 and take it from there fresh, although I know that's a pain. If you can wait until tomorrow, I'll get some better answers for ya. Thanks for letting us know what's up, sorry it didn't work out properly. I'll have to look into what's happening here.

And just to clarify, you started from step 6 correct?

LinearEquation

Aug 26, 2013
Midwest
Hey buddy sorry for the late response. When in device manager, does it list your kindle as an "adb device"?

I won't have internet until tomorrow, I'm out atm. If you get too frustrated with the adb thing, you can try using KFFA to revert to update 7.2.3 and take it from there fresh, although I know that's a pain. If you can wait until tomorrow, I'll get some better answers for ya. Thanks for letting us know what's up, sorry it didn't work out properly. I'll have to look into what's happening here.

And just to clarify, you started from step 6 correct?

When I type adb devices, I get the proper response. Then when I put adb sideload cm-10.1-20130812-UNOFFICIAL-tate.zip, the response in command is * cannot read 'sideload' * just like that, stars included.

Would starting from 7.2.3 get me there without any issues like this? If it will, I can run KFFF. If unknown, I'd like to find out why the zip is "unreadable." Thanks again for the help.

Edit - Yes, I started from step 6. Did it just as explained. Got rid of the "not running right update" (red sign) and flashed.

Last edited:

LinearEquation

Aug 26, 2013
Midwest
Running KFFF to restore to 7.2.3 now. No regrets, it was worth a try. This time I will root and put off OTA updates right away and not wait for the 7.4.6 update to take place. I wonder if starting out in 7.2.3 and doing the steps again would prove better results? If not then I need to figure out what went wrong.

Reactions: Opensystem

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello all!

Do you want TWRP, a 2nd bootloader, and custom roms at your fingertips for your Kindle Fire HD? Well you have come to the right place! Over the past months, through trial and error, I've managed a full-proof, easy method to unlock the Kindle Fire HD's true potential. While this is aimed at 7" devices, it should work no problem on the 8.9 either - however you will have to use your head. These instructions are geared towards the 7", and you will have to realize what changes to this blueprint you personally will need to make with the 8.9.

!WARNING! WHILE THIS HAS WORKED FOR ME ON MULTIPLE DEVICES, YOU MUST FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS CAREFULLY. I PERSONALLY SUGGEST YOU FIRST BUY A SkOrPn FACTORY CABLE IN CASE ANYTHING GOES WRONG. (Although using this guide, it almost certainly will not. Still, those cables come in handy!! :good:

Also, I would like to point everyone to seokhun's thread on this matter, which came before my own: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2271909

BIG thanks to LinearEquation for helping maintain this thread. Trust any advice he gives; it WILL help! :thumbup:

Although our posts on this process are essentially similar, he goes far more in depth on the process, and has an excellent troubleshooting section if something here goes wrong for you and I cannot respond to your question soon enough (although if done right, that won't happen :p)

Ok. Lets begin!

Step One: Download Kindle Fire First Aide, an amazing tool which is only getting better: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2096888

This is probably the most work-intensive step, although once you have it you'll be glad you do. You are to follow the directions on this thread and install the necessary files, and adb drivers. This is necessary for your KFHD7 to communicate with your computer properly. When finished, make sure your Kindle has ADB enabled under its device settings.

lets see if you're ready for step 2. Plug your kindle in and check your device manager. If your kindle fire shows up as "android adb interface" then you sir/ madam are ready. If not, please use the Kindle Fire First Aide (hereafter referred to as KFFA) thread to find out where you went wrong. The answer you seek will be there, I promise you.

Step Two: BACK UP ANY FILES/FOLDERS/MOVIES/ETC YOU WANT TO KEEP. STEP THREE WILL WIPE YOUR DEVICE!

Step Three: Here, we are going to use KFFA to reset our device to 7.2.3. Make sure you have transferred any backups you have made to your computer. Run KFFA and select the option that reads "Reboot the Kindle into Fastboot Mode". At the time of this posting, there are two options to do this. Try the preferred option first, and if that doesn't work, try the alternative method. Alternatively, just plug your kindle in with a fastboot/factory cable to get it into fastboot. YOUR DEVICE MUST BE IN FASTBOOT MODE FOR THE NEXT STEP

Step Four: while in fastboot mode, in KFFA, use the option "COMPLETELY RESTORE THE KFHD7 7.2.3. This will take a while, and you will be prompted at certain points to continue. I usually chose not to wipe user data at the end, as for me at least it takes forever and shouldn't be necessary.

Step Five: While still in KFFA, Disable Amazon's OTA updates with the option provided. This is important - If an update sneaks by, you will have to start from scratch!

Once KFFA says it's finished, unplug your device and hold the power button to hard-reset it. Now boot it back on. Your kindle will now be stock 7.2.3, with google play and superuser installed, along with root permissions.

Step Six: Here we go! Download the provided FireFlash11.apk, kfhd7-Freedom-boot-7.3.0.img, and kfhd7-twrp 2.4.4.0-recovery.img to your computer. Connect your KFHD7, make sure you check "allow installations of unknown applications" on your kindle's options (they will have reset thanks to KFFA, don't forget), and go to either the amazon or google play marketplace and find a file browser you can use to navigate to your download folder. Find where you placed the FireFlash11.apk, open it, and install.

Step Seven: Almost there guys! Open up your new FireFlash app. The first thing you (should) notice is that there is a warning that you have the incorrect bootloader at this moment. Check the box that says "Flash kfhd7-u-boot-prod-7.2.3.bin. scroll to the bottom of the app, where it says "execute", and press "flash, install script". Exit the program and reboot your device.

Step Eight: Now that your kindle has rebooted, open up the FireFlash app again. This time, you should see no warnings at the bootloader. If for some reason you do, STOP and retrace your steps. If you see no warnings, we're ready to install the 2nd bootloader and TWRP!! While still in FireFlash, under "boot partition" it should say "not flashed". Click on the "not flashed", and navigate to the "kfhd7-Freedom-boot-7.3.0.img" that we downloaded earlier. Check the box next to "apply stack override".

Now, under "recovery partition", again select the "not flashed" box and navigate this time to the "kfhd7-twrp 2.4.4.0-recovery.img". Once in place, check the "disable recovery auto update" box to the right. Now scroll to the bottom, to where it says "execute", and tap "Flash, install script" just like we did before with the bootloader.

Thats it! Select "reboot into recovery" from the Fireflash app if you're still in it, and if you followed the instructions and put everything where it belongs, you should wind up in TWRP after your kindle reboot (dont worry if you see the blue kindle fire logo for a minute before it enters TWRP - it's completely normal. From here you can install custom roms, wipe your cache, and most importantly MAKE BACKUPS! :laugh:

ATM I am using Hashcode's CM10.1 with the 1.5 ghz kernal, with Nova Launcher Prime and LMT launcher. It's simply amazing the difference in both speed and functionality. Hopefully, this guide got you there and now you too can enjoy a fully unlocked Amazon Kindle Fire HD!

Here is a link to the page for Hashcode's CM10.1, If you want to give it a shot I highly recommend it!! http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2245335

One last note. I want to make it clear that I have not personally developed any of these tools, I've just organized them for you. The real ones you want to be thanking if this works are the developers. Thanks Devs!! :good:

Thx for this guide Opensystem. It made rooting and flashing my friends tablet so easy!

That it does. It was key to me getting my tablet modded out.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD running CM 11 KitKat 4.4 using xda app-developers

---------- Post added at 04:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:48 PM ----------

Flashfire11 won't let me check "flash kfhd7-u-boot-prod-7.2.3.bin. I can check every other box but that one.

Is that portion red indicating a need to check it? If you are on 7.2.3 already, FireFlash won't let you. Be real sure and drop you custom ROM on the root of your SD card before flashing first. This way if you do bootloop, you can move forward with less hassle.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD running CM 11 KitKat 4.4 using xda app-developers
    How is this different from my tutorial? I see you included KFFA, but other than that, same method, and you lack the troubleshooting portion as well as only promoting Hashcode's CM10.1.
    Wow, I appreciate that. I'm humbled.

Where else but XDA do people help others out un-asked? I'm the humbled one to be part of such a great community. I see you helping all over the place, you're a true member :thumbup:

Sent from my SM-N900T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    Opensystem

Brilliant!!

Had a look at your guide and thought why not...checked with Chris of KFFA about rooting KFHD 7 with 7.4.3 update, he gave me the 'fakebackup' file. Rooted with KFFA....followed EXACTLY from your step 6 to 8 and ATM doing a TWRP backup.

Fantastic job mate.

One question though. If I am going to put another ROM to KFHD7, do I need to do a full wipe (cache, factory, delvik) everytime before a flash install?

regards
    fs1023

Check the bottom of my thread in my signature for instructions on installing a new ROM.