[INFO] Asus Transformer Minor Teardown

Search This thread

hybridau

Oct 22, 2009
Well today I thought I'd see what could be done about a light bleed spot that was annoying me. There are a couple of light bleed spots (seems pratically evident to some degree on all IPS screen devices). Anyway I did a minor disassemble as a result.

Result: Impossible to get rid of completely, its just an unfortunate trade off. I did manage to make it less intense and under normal light conditions and 60% brightness you can not really notice it now. p.s. there is nothing to "losen" the screen. It is not screwed down by the edges.

Anyway since it was apart I took some pics so you can see what is inside the beast :)

WARNING: The bezel is VERY fragile, so be warned. I used a guitar pick to remove it VERY carefully. After the bezel is off its easy sailing to remove the back cover. /warning :D

Enjoy.

LHS Speaker (CRAP!!!)

Last edited:

stuntdouble

Apr 1, 2009
Redmi Note 10S
Thanks for this. I've been umming and ahhing about doing it myself, just to see whats in there. Now I dont have to. :) Added to ultimate thread as well. Nice job.

stuntdouble

Apr 1, 2009
Redmi Note 10S
Just got a couple questions if I may. In order to lift off the back plastic casing, was it just held down by those 2 torx screws at the bottom by the 40pin connector socket, and did it just lift off easily, or were there clips holding it down? Oh and were there any labels/security stickers that would invalidate a warranty that you saw when it was open please, as I cant see any in the pics?

hybridau

Oct 22, 2009
Just got a couple questions if I may. In order to lift off the back plastic casing, was it just held down by those 2 torx screws at the bottom by the 40pin connector socket, and did it just lift off easily, or were there clips holding it down? Oh and were there any labels/security stickers that would invalidate a warranty that you saw when it was open please, as I cant see any in the pics?

Hi stuntdouble,

Two torx screws have to come off first, these are part of what holds the bezel down.

After that you need to use a guitar pick from the back to lift the bezel up...best to get all 4 corners up and keep sliding..as soon as it wont slide lift it out and back in again a bit further on... it absolutely destroyed the pick by the way..lots of sharp edges in there.

The bezel will then come off from the front of the tablet. Just be careful and dont force it, Around the 40 pin connector was the biggest pain.

The back cover is held down by 4 screws on the top glass, and umm if I recall about 10 screws behind where the bezel . It basically then falls off once all screws are off with not to much effort.

There are also no security stickers over any of the screws anywhere inside the tablet :)

mike5065

May 14, 2011
What did you do, specifically, to fix bleed? Were some screws too tight, too loose, did you move stuff around...?

Thanks for the pics.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using XDA Premium App

hybridau

Oct 22, 2009
What did you do, specifically, to fix bleed? Were some screws too tight, too loose, did you move stuff around...?

Thanks for the pics.

I tried to lift the screen a bit where the bleed was. when i did that it went away a bit. I then cut and jammed small bits of black foam under it. it worked ok enough but not to get rid of it totally.

There are no screws holding it down. well not onthe edges anyway. You would have to dig deeper to find out the direct cause. I did not want to do this as it means components being removed.

RavenMad

Nov 19, 2008
Adelaide
I appear to have a small bit of hair or fibre trapped under the glass - it's visible when the screen is off - do you think doing a tear down like you did would give me access to blow it off or is the screen still secured?

dbiggss

Apr 15, 2007
Thanks for posting this! After breaking it open, any ideas of where the creaking is coming from?

verkion

Sep 3, 2007
Thanks for posting this...I don't suppose you have any more shots of the left/right speakers? Like a closer view/shot of them? There's a lot of people with speaker issues and I'm thinking I should just replace my own/test it somehow.

Thanks!
verkion

hybridau

Oct 22, 2009
I appear to have a small bit of hair or fibre trapped under the glass - it's visible when the screen is off - do you think doing a tear down like you did would give me access to blow it off or is the screen still secured?

Yes I'd say you could with a can of air, you would not have to remove the screen, however you risk getting more dust under it to be honest. So id say be careful.

Thanks for posting this! After breaking it open, any ideas of where the creaking is coming from?

is it around the edges you get the creaking?... if so its the bezel as that is clipped on. The back cover is screwed on pretty well.

What size torx screw driver does on need? Would loosening the bottom screws help for light bleed ?

T5 torx. The screws's inside are phillips 000's.

loosining the T5 torx screws will do absolutley nothing to help bleed as they are no where near the screen. The screen starts and ends where it shows externally. The black boarders are just filled with circuitboards.

Thanks for posting this...I don't suppose you have any more shots of the left/right speakers? Like a closer view/shot of them? There's a lot of people with speaker issues and I'm thinking I should just replace my own/test it somehow.

Thanks!
verkion

Hi Verkion, These are the only two pics I have, , the wiring is SUPER bad on the left hand side speaker (look close at the bottom wiring in white/red. I was scared to sneeze close to in incase it broke!.

The wires are soldered on too.

Right Hand Side Speaker

Left Hand Side Speaker

SlimDan22

Jan 7, 2007
Warren, Michigan
Whats this i see....a mini PCI-E pinout :)

Probably for HSPA/HSPA+/LTE/WiMax/ETC/ when they release a model to carriers, but still cool nonetheless

56148d1249724286-hacking-a-mini-pci-e-hsdpa-into-aopen-i45gmt-hd-board-sim_to_mini_pci_express.jpg

IMG_6007.jpg

Last edited:

mike5065

May 14, 2011
I think there's a thread in the zoom forum that tried to do something with a similar pinout....

reloadro

May 11, 2011
hey thanks a lot for this !
Has anyone spotted the microphone ? I'm looking to change it if possible , depending on what this involves...
Is this it ? h t t p: / / i.imgur.com/K2yPh.jpg
I kinda i doubt it .. why would it need such a large data bus.
It could probably be the one on the left though , under the yellow sticker

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well today I thought I'd see what could be done about a light bleed spot that was annoying me. There are a couple of light bleed spots (seems pratically evident to some degree on all IPS screen devices). Anyway I did a minor disassemble as a result.

Result: Impossible to get rid of completely, its just an unfortunate trade off. I did manage to make it less intense and under normal light conditions and 60% brightness you can not really notice it now. p.s. there is nothing to "losen" the screen. It is not screwed down by the edges.

Anyway since it was apart I took some pics so you can see what is inside the beast :)

WARNING: The bezel is VERY fragile, so be warned. I used a guitar pick to remove it VERY carefully. After the bezel is off its easy sailing to remove the back cover. /warning :D

Enjoy.

LHS Speaker (CRAP!!!)

Hi stuntdouble,

Two torx screws have to come off first, these are part of what holds the bezel down.

After that you need to use a guitar pick from the back to lift the bezel up...best to get all 4 corners up and keep sliding..as soon as it wont slide lift it out and back in again a bit further on... it absolutely destroyed the pick by the way..lots of sharp edges in there.

The bezel will then come off from the front of the tablet. Just be careful and dont force it, Around the 40 pin connector was the biggest pain.

The back cover is held down by 4 screws on the top glass, and umm if I recall about 10 screws behind where the bezel . It basically then falls off once all screws are off with not to much effort.

There are also no security stickers over any of the screws anywhere inside the tablet :)
    Well I was feeling like taking a little look inside tonight, so I opened mine up too. I'm glad I did, as it allowed me to clear the dust particles from behind the back camera plastic cover, and also my screen and bezel now line up properly, unlike before, as one side was slightly recessed and the other side was out slightly. Also after tightening all screws inside, I no longer have any creaking of the plastic back casing. :)

It's actually built a lot better than I was expecting tbh. Took it slow and steady and didn't damage anything afaik. Was surprised by how much dust had accumulated just under the bezel area.

A word of warning for anyone opening up their device. I noticed that certain screws had something blue on the threading. Not sure if this is there for a reason or if it's just some dye from a circuit board, but it was a different colour to anything else inside so it stood out to me. Not all of the screws had this colour, so be sure to replace the correct ones in the right holes when you reinsert them. Don't know if Asus could tell from this if someone had opened their case or not, but to me it's not worth the risk if I ever wanted to return it under warranty.

Just as I'd put the last screw back in I realised the power and volume buttons were at an angle. So had to open it back up again and reseat them. Didn't take long though. I also took a load of pics of the inside, and also read the various part number barcodes. Didn't get any results on google when I looked them up though.
    So I ended up opening up my TF, which btw was the easiest piece of electronic equipment that I have tore into.

After inspecting everything, retightening the screws, and reassembling, the creaking seems to have lessened a little bit, but it is definitely still there.

An interesting thing that I noticed is that there is a small protruding eyelet on one side that doesn't seem to attach to anything. I didn't think anything of it before I reassembled the TF, but looking back it might be rubbing against the inside of the bezel to cause the creak. Regardless there is too much flex in the plastic backing for me, that is a minor annoyance- but I'm really picky.

I plan on opening this thing back up and will record and post a video if noone else does- when I have some time.

Looking closer at this picture I can see a seam down the middle of the battery pack

Does that mean there are two batteries in that black package rated at 3300mAh each?

It says 7.2V, and LiIon are almost always 3.6V. So these are 2 3300mAh cells connected in series for 7.2V. Amp-hours is meaningless when talking about capacity unless you know the voltage. Really the equitable way to measure capacity is in watt-hours which takes the voltage into account. 2 3300mAh 3.6V cell is 23.76Wh, which is the same capacity as a single 6600mAh cell.