Partition SDXC

Search This thread

omegahanggara

Jan 28, 2013
Jakarta
double-dragon.blogspot.com
Hello, i bought this memory card http://www.sandisk.com/products/memory-cards/microsd/ultra-class10-with-adapter/?capacity=64GB . I'd like to tell me which is the best way to partition this card for Xperia Z1.
Thank you.

If you used to using Linux PC / Laptop, then best system file is ext4. Since Z1 didn't support NTFS regarding lack of kernel features (hopefully doomlord will add this on next build), then ext4 is the best choice.

But if you using Windows, FAT32 is your choice. But you can't copy a single file which larger than 4 GB (this is the lack of fat32), beside that fat32 can only formating a disk which not bigger than 32gb. In this case, you can create two or more partitions for your 64gb sdcard.

If there's any questions, let me know. Hope this help.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Reactions: hander13

eclyptos

Jun 14, 2008
Planet Earth
Do not mess up with partitions if you will not use some kind of installations where EXT4 is needed. 64GB SDXC have natively extFAT as primary Partition and its supported by Z1, best choice and performance, also it support more than 4GB per file.

hander13

Jun 7, 2012
ATHENS
Do not mess up with partitions if you will not use some kind of installations where EXT4 is needed. 64GB SDXC have natively extFAT as primary Partition and its supported by Z1, best choice and performance, also it support more than 4GB per file.

I have already format my SDcard, and now i use minitool partition but i cant find extFAT format...

eclyptos

Jun 14, 2008
Planet Earth
I have already format my SDcard, and now i use minitool partition but i cant find extFAT format...

With what Partition System did you formatted your SD last time? Minitool Home Edition I think do not support exFAT. I remember Windows 7 can do that and it will let you formatting the card in exFAT with 32k cluster size. If you can't try to find an application to do so.

Robbie_C

Mar 9, 2014
With what Partition System did you formatted your SD last time? Minitool Home Edition I think do not support exFAT. I remember Windows 7 can do that and it will let you formatting the card in exFAT with 32k cluster size. If you can't try to find an application to do so.
Cant this be done via recovery?

xXFlippyXx

May 17, 2012
I'd say you should your xperia take care about formatting:

Aslong as its in your device it shouldn't matter what format the card has. In mtp -mode your xperia acts like a reader/writer. It also updates your file index by this method.

If you're using it as a external SD card you should use whatever suits your os.

Ext4 would be okay since there are open source free writers/readers available for Windows.

Still, any changes need the media scanner to run before your Android recognize the files

Sent from my C6903 using xda app-developers app

hander13

Jun 7, 2012
ATHENS

Finaly i did that with win7 but my Z1 can't read this format (extFAT)...Why? :(

eclyptos

Jun 14, 2008
Planet Earth

64 is SDXC and you forced the card to use FAT32, now you don't get the best performance from your card. All 32GB, and under, microSDs are SDHC and they use FAT32. I have 64GB SDXC and out of box is exFAT and I insered the card in my Z1 and it recognize exFAT very well. If you formatted the card with a wrong program you can compromise your partition system, that is why the Z1 do not recognize your card anymore after formatting. Try again to get the best from SDXC.

hander13

Jun 7, 2012
ATHENS
64 is SDXC and you forced the card to use FAT32, now you don't get the best performance from your card. All 32GB, and under, microSDs are SDHC and they use FAT32. I have 64GB SDXC and out of box is exFAT and I insered the card in my Z1 and it recognize exFAT very well. If you formatted the card with a wrong program you can compromise your partition system, that is why the Z1 do not recognize your card anymore after formatting. Try again to get the best from SDXC.

Can you help me with how to format my SDXC to exFAT...?

hander13

Jun 7, 2012
ATHENS

Finaly, i managed...thank you for help... :good:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello, i bought this memory card http://www.sandisk.com/products/memory-cards/microsd/ultra-class10-with-adapter/?capacity=64GB . I'd like to tell me which is the best way to partition this card for Xperia Z1.
    Thank you.

If you used to using Linux PC / Laptop, then best system file is ext4. Since Z1 didn't support NTFS regarding lack of kernel features (hopefully doomlord will add this on next build), then ext4 is the best choice.

But if you using Windows, FAT32 is your choice. But you can't copy a single file which larger than 4 GB (this is the lack of fat32), beside that fat32 can only formating a disk which not bigger than 32gb. In this case, you can create two or more partitions for your 64gb sdcard.

If there's any questions, let me know. Hope this help.

Cant this be done via recovery?

No :)

I'd say you should your xperia take care about formatting:

Aslong as its in your device it shouldn't matter what format the card has. In mtp -mode your xperia acts like a reader/writer. It also updates your file index by this method.

If you're using it as a external SD card you should use whatever suits your os.

Ext4 would be okay since there are open source free writers/readers available for Windows.

Still, any changes need the media scanner to run before your Android recognize the files

Sent from my C6903 using xda app-developers app