My first ROM Flashing [MoKee]

Search This thread

Rishav Sharan

Jul 2, 2014
Hi all

I flashed my stock ROM for the first time. I thought i would write a bit about the process and my impression of the ROM.

This is what I did:
  1. Download the ROM zip and place on the SD card.
  2. Download the corresponding gapps and place on SD card
  3. Make sure that the USB drivers for your phone are up to date
  4. Root the Phone. You will find the *.bat file that i used for rooting Atrix 2 in the forum itself.
  5. Install BMM. I read on a lot of places that BMM is dead but it was recommended by my ROM's web page so i stuck with it.
  6. Boot into BMM's recovery console.
  7. Select System 1 (or system 3-6 in case you want to multi boot)
  8. Take Fast/Full Backup
  9. Take backup of CID
  10. you still want to ahead? this is the point of no return.
  11. wipe stuff. the console has a section dedicated to wiping various type of data
  12. format /system, format /cache, format /data
  13. Flash the ROM zip
  14. When Flashing is done, BMM will auto install BMM on the same partition. if that is not done, manually install BMM on system 1 using System Keeper
  15. Flash the gapps zip
  16. Reboot and enjoy.
My impression of the whole process is that it is rather silly. it is needlessly intimidating. most of it can be easily automated. Hopefully we will get better software over time which will make the process painless.

My Impressions of Mokee:
Pros:

• Much faster than stock
    tons of options that i am yet to explore
    very stable, no crashes at all
    Looks and feels like AOSP which i like
Cons:

• Battery drain. My battery got drained in 6-7 hours. I am still investigating this.
    Huge icons. So far haven't found how to make them smaller. More irritating that a critical issues though.

sameerm02

Jul 24, 2013
Pune
Battery drain. My battery got drained in 6-7 hours. I am still investigating this.
Huge icons. So far haven't found how to make them smaller. More irritating that a critical issues though.

Install BetterBatteryStats, and allow root permission to it, it will help you tracking battery usage

---------- Post added at 12:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:23 PM ----------

If you want pure stock experience, try CM 11

Rishav Sharan

Jul 2, 2014
Install BetterBatteryStats, and allow root permission to it, it will help you tracking battery usage

---------- Post added at 12:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:23 PM ----------

Thanks. Btw, MoKee is very near the pure stock experience as well. Their design was to take the stock android and the best bits from CM and package it. I finally decided to go with Mokee over CM as i felt they were way more active in their checkins.

If there was any bug fix from CM side, they usually pick it up and merge it asap. else they seem to be fixing a lot of stuff on their own.

Another con of MoKee that i forgot to write:
they preinstall 4-5 chinese applications which i found irritating. The first thing i did after installation was remove all of them.:eek:

devilhunter47

Jun 22, 2012
Kottayam
U won't find a better recovery than BMM..what's so complex about it i cannot understand..if u had been here two years earlier when there wasn't even a recovery on boot u will understand..BMM= perfect custom recovery

Sent from my MB865 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Rishav Sharan

Jul 2, 2014
U won't find a better recovery than BMM..what's so complex about it i cannot understand..if u had been here two years earlier when there wasn't even a recovery on boot u will understand..BMM= perfect custom recovery

I think ROM installation right now is where PC OS installation (OS2, Win 3.1 etc) was 20 years ago. You had to do every bit manually. Except nowadays its incredibly easy and even non tech savvy people can easily do it. I expect that the process gets easier for newbs in the next few years.
Take it as you will, but there are a dozen improvements to the process that can be done to improve it.

I think ROM installation right now is where PC OS installation (OS2, Win 3.1 etc) was 20 years ago. You had to do every bit manually. Except nowadays its incredibly easy and even non tech savvy people can easily do it. I expect that the process gets easier for newbs in the next few years.
Take it as you will, but there are a dozen improvements to the process that can be done to improve it.

With whirleyes not supporting BMM anymore...i dnt see it improving any further.....Because BMM isnt built for the A2..we run it after making subtle modifications and customizations to the app...
And i dont see a new Boot manager being built from scratch..... BMM is already very perfect for me....Cant find a safer and better Bootloader for our a2 and i doubt there ever will be

And ABOUT the CM vs Mokee , CM wins hands down , it gives nearly 3 times the battery backup of Mokee...
I loved the asthetics of mokee.. i tried to do everything could do to have better batetry on Mokee(Like using the CM kernel directly , flashing JBX and stuff i better not go on about :p).... But the ROM just refuses to let go off sucking battery all the time...I knw they update their kernel with newer commits from CM but trust me on this...i held on to Mokee as long as i could but the truth cant be denied...it just sucks wen it comes to battery consumption

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Battery drain. My battery got drained in 6-7 hours. I am still investigating this.