Bionic on tmobile

Search This thread

sbackus

Apr 1, 2011
Soooo... I agree, this is incredible! Is there a torrent seed for the required files? I saw the offer of a private host but no link. I would be very interested also. Thanks in advance!

dansan382

Dec 19, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
this is pretty damn sweet. my dad needs a new phone and i refuse to let him get an iphone but he needs international. this solves the problem easily.

So pretty much i can put in the SIM card before he goes overseas, run this tool and it should automatically switch to whichever SIM cards network i put in. then simply take out the SIM and it switches back to verizon?

fredz024

Jun 10, 2006
Issue with roaming

Yes I did all this on TIM Brazil network...

I used your guide to activate GSM on my stock .902 GB Bionic, and all worked as advertised with a TMO SIM. However, I then tried a foreign (non-US) SIM and the data roaming warning popped up. Canceled that, and all of a sudden the phone wouldn't connect to the network. The Settings > Wireless & Networks > Mobile Network Settings menu was replaced by a GSM-centric menu which gave constant FC's for com.android.phone. It stayed like that even when I replaced the VZW SIM.

Restored the original data string to disable GSM and the CDMA/LTE network settings menu came back.

projektorboy

Sep 3, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
This is one of the most incredible hacks I've ever seen! If you're diligent in your searching you can probably go snag a copy of RadioComm from the Droid 2 Global forum, where RadioComm is involved in the ATT/TMo Band Unlock.

Edit: I've done some searching, and the newest version of RadioComm I was able to find was 11.12.2, so here it is. If a newer version is found out there, please post it!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6725402/RadioComm_v11.12.2_Install.msi

Edit1:

This is weird. I got this to ALMOST work on my Bionic. Here's how it went down.

I used RSDLite 5.6 to put my phone back on .902. Once it finished I did 'adb reboot recovery' to get to stock recovery, and then I installed the .904 system update and then let it reboot. This is so I could be as completely bone-stock as possible on .904 to ensure the success of the hack.

So with .904 freshly installed, I performed the hack as specified in the pics on page 3 with the version of RadioComm that was used. I rebooted with RadioComm once. Then after the reboot cycle finished I told the phone to power off.

I took out my Verizon SIM, and put in a T-Mobile SIM. I tested this T-Mo SIM just a few minutes before on my work Blackberry and the BB functioned perfectly.

I powered on the Bionic and got the "SIM is from an unknown source" message like everyone else got, but then the phone wouldn't acquire signal.

I noticed that when I went to Settings > Wireless & Networks that I have a lot more options, but when I choose any of those options I get a Force-Close.

I can try dialing *#*#4636#*#* to go to the Phone menu and toggle over to GSM Only mode, but that still doesn't make the phone acquire signal. I'm not sure where I could have gone wrong.

Edit2:

Strange, after installing the .904 update ZIP my bootloader is still 0A.61. I guess the FXZ for .904 might have the updated bootloader?

Last edited:
Reactions: tarroyo

linyincsz

Mar 1, 2012
Looking for someone to help make DATA working... I have all files but nowhere to upload to...

PROCEDURE
1. Update Bootloader to (0A.72)

2. Install stock ROM with RSD Lite
----> GB: VRZ_XT875_5.9.904.XT875.Verizon.en.US_CFC_01

Make sure Debug Mode is ON and it's connected as CHARGER ONLY (not Mass Storage)

3. Root the phone with motofail (motofail_windows.zip)

4. Install Bootstrap (BionicBootstrap.apk)

5. Reboot into recovery and install ICS Gummy (Gummy_targa-Release-1.0.2.zip + speargapps-ics-20120317-signed.zip)

6. To enable GSM/UMTS follow these steps:
1. Ensure USB is connected as PC Tools mode (not Mass Storage)
2. In Radiocomm go to MA->CDMA1X->QSC60x5
3. After it comes up, switch to FTM Common1 tab and wait for the phone to enumerate purple.
4. On the upper right side in the NVAccess, scroll to NV item 1877 NV_RF_BC_CONFIG_I
5. Read the value from the device
6. Replace the first 8 bytes (16 digits) with: 8703E80400000200
7. Write the data to the device and powercycle.
This will enable GSM/UMTS bands.

To disable GSM/UMTS, perform the same 7 steps, but replace the 8-byte data with: 0700000000000000​

AFTER SOME WHILE GSM SIGNAL IS STRONG FOR VOICE BUT NO DATA

How to upgrade Bootloader to (0 a. 72), can provide the download? Thank you very much!:confused:

thefiverivers

Jan 24, 2009
This is an amazing development! Thanks for sharing and looking forward to instructions on how to make this work.

jimmydafish

Nov 10, 2007
A couple of quick things of note:

1) You do not need to update the bootloader (whatever you are on will work)
2) You do not need to flash a custom rom, in fact, YOU DO NOT NEED ROOT
3) Once you restart phone with non vzw sim, you may need to wait as long as 5 minutes before it picks up the signal.
4) You can swap back and forth between GSM/VZW sim cards (requires reboot).

notideportes

Mar 7, 2010
Can't find files

Hello,

I've got most of the files but I can't find the update to the bootloader and the speargapps-ics-20120317-signed.zip file. Please let me know where / how to get this working at your earliest convenience. Thanks in advanced.

Looking for someone to help make DATA working... I have all files but nowhere to upload to...

PROCEDURE

Make sure Debug Mode is ON and it's connected as CHARGER ONLY (not Mass Storage)

5. Reboot into recovery and install ICS Gummy (Gummy_targa-Release-1.0.2.zip + speargapps-ics-20120317-signed.zip)

3. After it comes up, switch to FTM Common1 tab and wait for the phone to enumerate purple.
4. On the upper right side in the NVAccess, scroll to NV item 1877 NV_RF_BC_CONFIG_I

To disable GSM/UMTS, perform the same 7 steps, but replace the 8-byte data with: 0700000000000000​

grasspuddle

Mar 4, 2012
Airplane mode

Tried it out with rooted and .902 with AT&T.

I swear... the airplane mode icon on top changed from the verizon 'angled' plane to a straight plane.

Anyone notice this, or am I going crazy?

fredz024

Jun 10, 2006
>> I noticed that when I went to Settings > Wireless & Networks that I have a lot more options, but when I choose any of those options I get a Force-Close.

Exactly my experience. The GSM network settings menu came up when I put a non-US sim into the phone and I had to restore the original NVM string and powercycle to bring the correct menu back. I was on .902.

bborland10

Apr 26, 2012
Ok, "brandogg" you are such a help, I might even puke you are so helpful. It amazes me how some people can ask for help and get a smart ass answer from someone like the "brandogg."

So ok, homie dogg, keep your smart ass answers to yourself. If you don't like the question don't answer. This is the problem with this country anymore, jack offs like you.

This thread clearly discusses the Bionic, RAZR and D4, and yes I am well aware of the GSM RAZR, but I can get a Verizon RAZR much cheaper locally.

So that's fine I will ask my perfectly legit question elsewhere. Why don't you be a real American and go serve your country, or just continue to be a self serving turd.

Thanks for nothing, hope you choke on your own saliva.

Reactions: TKuhlman09

highlandsun

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 15, 2009
Los Angeles
highlandsun.com
I doubt it but we aren't sure about anything yet. So far, testing on both razr and d4 has failed.

But on the Razr with ATT iPhone microSIM installed it shows Verizon Wireless and LTE for network!

We are confused about these results obviously, and may need to change or add bytes to the string for other devices. There are many variables to isolate and it will take a little time.

Right now it works seamlessly on Bionic.

Would love to see this working on D4, please keep us posted. I just got back from Europe, was a drag just using my D4 in wifi mode and still needing to rely on my TP2. And I'll be spending a lot more time in Europe ongoing... PM me if you need any help testing.

cellzealot

Jan 4, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
We are dumping the entire readable NV of all of them to look for discrepancies and hopefully will have a clearer idea why it doesn't work, and possibly find the solution.

If we have a situation where we can't test something ourselves, we will post a request and instructions, thanks!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I got this done - no gsm data yet

PROCEDURE

This post shows the directions in pictures.

directions.jpg
    Bionic GSM Band Config update.zip

Here is the zip file installation.

As stated above, it can only be run from Bionic Bootstrap recovery and not from Safestrap.

Just place the zip on the root of the sdcard and then open Bionic Bootstrap and boot into recovery and select Install zip from sdcard, then Choose zip and select the file and install it. it takes about 2 seconds to run and then reboot the phone after putting the SIM in and it should work immediately in most cases.

The zip only performs the NV edit to Item 1877(0755 hex) rec 1 bytes length 8 and no other modifications.

We made zips for the D4 and Razr as well and will probably make a more formal release post for those devices, as they require some additional files for everything to work properly.

The Bionic was the first one and, as it turns out, the easiest of them.

I am also taking a look at the Xoom and trying to make it work on that device too.

This really opens up a lot of possibilities and probably some serious consternation for VZW.

Thanks to fragulina for the original hack!
    I have all the files myself but nowhere to upload to...

I have a private server with private access you could pm me and I can send you a username and password, then it could be seeded via torrent.

---------- Post added at 06:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:14 AM ----------

This is a pic of the Bionic using both Tmo and ATT using this hack. The pics are from TeamBlackHat using this seem edit.

proofoflife.jpg

The directions were added to the image. The original directions can be found on page 2 of this thread.