[ROM][Android 4.1][P7510]Paranoid Android 2 for Galaxy Tab 10.1

Search This thread

Dekudan

Nov 28, 2007
Not 100% finished yet, think of this as a Dev-thread.

pax3u3k.png

Hello one and all, this is Paranoid Android for the P7510! If you've seen any of the other PA threads, they're a bit swankier than this. That'll come in time, no worries! This is still very much my first build - both personally and in the case of the ROM. Things might be a bit squiffy, but that's to be expected, I went into this completely dumb and learnt as I went :p

Still. It works. My tab hasn't exploded. Give it a try, tell me what works and what doesn't. I'm learning PA settings as much as any of you guys will be :p

What doesn't work:

• Everything non-functional in CM10.
  • Can't find the button to enable MTP. That might be a problem with me and the button being moved?

Download here!
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/23306362/pa_p4wifi-2.00-27AUG2012-2325.zip

Installation instructions:

As normal, make sure to install GApps. Any plain old jb ones will do, which is awesome.
Once booted (a black screen after the boot animation seems usual) you'll need to enable the navigation bar. To get it you have to go to settings>system>navigation bar and then turn the option on in there. If anyone can tell me how to have this enabled by default, that'll be awesome.

Last edited:

guih

Jan 5, 2011
I've been strongly considering selling my tab to get the n7, but with cm10 quickly catching up and now Paranoid being here I may have to rethink the move. Thanks for this! Downloading now..

Sent from my LTEVO

Reactions: funeralplanner

aaron.bufc

Mar 29, 2011
Ballymena
Just installed this on my phone, will definitely be keeping an eye on this thread.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app

Dekudan

Nov 28, 2007
Just installed this on my phone, will definitely be keeping an eye on this thread.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app

I use it on my phone too. Between the Optimus 2X and the Tab 10.1, it does seem more sensible to be using PA on the big screen. Apps scale up better than they do down, if you see what I mean.

guih

Jan 5, 2011
Ok so I flashed it and it works pretty nicely, but I think it doesn't scale very well in some areas or functions as well as cm10, such as with multitasking. Nonetheless, I'm excited to see where this ROM will go.

Sent from my LTEVO

GazaIan

Dec 27, 2010
Your basement
twitter.com
Forgive me for this but what the point of paranoid Android on a tablet? On a phone it's pretty useful since I can enable the tablet side of apps without going full tablet UI, but what about on a tablet? Most horribly scaled apps can already be rescaled using that arrow thing in the combined bar.

Also, I'll try to look into that MTP issue for ya (don't totally rely on me though). I feel like I've forgetten everything so I want to brush up.

Dekudan

Nov 28, 2007
Forgive me for this but what the point of paranoid Android on a tablet? On a phone it's pretty useful since I can enable the tablet side of apps without going full tablet UI, but what about on a tablet? Most horribly scaled apps can already be rescaled using that arrow thing in the combined bar.

Also, I'll try to look into that MTP issue for ya (don't totally rely on me though). I feel like I've forgetten everything so I want to brush up.

Thanks good sir. The best way I can put it is manipulation of the system ui. In that I mean you can have the device running at stock dpi, but get the style of the Nexus 7. People may think I'm crazy for that, but i like the notification shade instead of a button, and the launcher in phone mode is just so much better, especially when done right. Of course it's subjective preference, but it's an option and I find that some aspects are far better than stock tablet ui.

In other news, yes, the multitasking is completely wrong, I'm fiddling around with settings now, but will have to ask more knowledgeable peeps if I can't solve it.

GazaIan

Dec 27, 2010
Your basement
twitter.com
What did you port this ROM from? There's a hitload of problems that have to be worked out.. Plus Android seems to be trolling me, this is what logcat puts out when I enable / disable the navigation bar;

Code:
D/WifiService(  283): setWifiEnabled: true pid=1051, uid=1000

As to how the hell that can even happen, no idea.

Anyway I hear default settings are in SettingsProvider.apk but I didn't see the ones I was looking for. Multitasking isn't exactly broken, it's trying to use the phone UI. If you look at the power menu you'll see it's stupidly oversized because of the the phone Ui. In fact that can all probably be changed or fixed in Paranoid Settings.

On the sad side, launchers are extremely laggy. What gives? I hate lag :(

EDIT: Super smooth in the tablet mode. Something is up, making the Phablet UI super laggy.

Last edited:
Reactions: corei7qm

arashtarafar

Sep 26, 2010
Hi friends...all the project is great,I've not tested it though...
don't think I've lost my mind but for the MTP, I think you must:go to settings-->storage-->the menu button in the upper right corner of the screen-->USB PC connection -->connect as a media device(MTP) may this help...
I have the p7500 but am used to flashing all useful 10.1 ROMs:)
again I say:I've not lost my mind...

Last edited:

GazaIan

Dec 27, 2010
Your basement
twitter.com
Hi friends...all the project is great,I've not tested it though...
don't think I've lost my mind but for the MTP, I think you must:go to settings-->storage-->the menu button in the upper right corner of the screen-->USB PC connection -->connect as a media device(MTP) may this help...
I have the p7500 but am used to flashing all useful 10.1 ROMs:)
again I say:I've not lost my mind...
That would be correct, except there's no way to get into the menu. The three dots are missing and there's absolutely no way to press menu.

nickwarn

Aug 4, 2010
Ronneby
That would be correct, except there's no way to get into the menu. The three dots are missing and there's absolutely no way to press menu.

If one long press the current apps icon in statusbar you will get menu options for the app your in. I have not installed this on my tab only on my S3.
Please try if it works

---------- Post added at 10:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 AM ----------

Forgott one thing, in settings/system/hardware keys theres an option for action overflow wich brings the three dotted menu in apps back. Dont know if it apply to settings.apk but it wurth a try.

Dekudan

Nov 28, 2007
What did you port this ROM from? There's a hitload of problems that have to be worked out.. Plus Android seems to be trolling me, this is what logcat puts out when I enable / disable the navigation bar;

Code:
D/WifiService(  283): setWifiEnabled: true pid=1051, uid=1000

As to how the hell that can even happen, no idea.

Anyway I hear default settings are in SettingsProvider.apk but I didn't see the ones I was looking for. Multitasking isn't exactly broken, it's trying to use the phone UI. If you look at the power menu you'll see it's stupidly oversized because of the the phone Ui. In fact that can all probably be changed or fixed in Paranoid Settings.

On the sad side, launchers are extremely laggy. What gives? I hate lag :(

EDIT: Super smooth in the tablet mode. Something is up, making the Phablet UI super laggy.

Yeah...the WiFi is odd. I grabbed some files from maple syrup to actually make WiFi work. I'll look into it later on.

Anyway, the source should be pretty clean. All of it was from Pershoots github for the tab and PA's for their stuff. The only niggle is that I have the Paranoidpreferences apk from the Gnexus in there. It's closed source and the N7 one doesn't give us phablet mode (because it is one already)

Edit: How odd, the MTP option just suddenly appeared after a reboot. Going to have to figure out why...

Last edited:

GazaIan

Dec 27, 2010
Your basement
twitter.com
Yeah...the WiFi is odd. I grabbed some files from maple syrup to actually make WiFi work. I'll look into it later on.

Anyway, the source should be pretty clean. All of it was from Pershoots github for the tab and PA's for their stuff. The only niggle is that I have the Paranoidpreferences apk from the Gnexus in there. It's closed source and the N7 one doesn't give us phablet mode (because it is one already)

Edit: How odd, the MTP option just suddenly appeared after a reboot. Going to have to figure out why...
Can Apktool be used to bring it in the Nexus 7 apk?

Also, is anyone getting bad lag in the Phablet mode? The launcher lag is crazy' but as soon as I go to tablet mode, its smooth.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Not 100% finished yet, think of this as a Dev-thread.

pax3u3k.png

Hello one and all, this is Paranoid Android for the P7510! If you've seen any of the other PA threads, they're a bit swankier than this. That'll come in time, no worries! This is still very much my first build - both personally and in the case of the ROM. Things might be a bit squiffy, but that's to be expected, I went into this completely dumb and learnt as I went :p

Still. It works. My tab hasn't exploded. Give it a try, tell me what works and what doesn't. I'm learning PA settings as much as any of you guys will be :p

What doesn't work:

• Everything non-functional in CM10.
    • Can't find the button to enable MTP. That might be a problem with me and the button being moved?

Download here!
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/23306362/pa_p4wifi-2.00-27AUG2012-2325.zip

Installation instructions:

As normal, make sure to install GApps. Any plain old jb ones will do, which is awesome.
    Once booted (a black screen after the boot animation seems usual) you'll need to enable the navigation bar. To get it you have to go to settings>system>navigation bar and then turn the option on in there. If anyone can tell me how to have this enabled by default, that'll be awesome.
    D
    D2dyno
    Hey guys,

Once I get some more info on the porting process specific to Paranoid Android, I'll port the latest version for us :D
    MTP Fix

Hi everyone!
    At last the MTP problem solved!

For this got to:settings-->system-->hardware keys-->show action overflow(check it),you can inject MTP application if needed,but it won't install:D
    Now go to storage-->menu at the upper right corner-->USB-PC connection-->check Media device(MTP)

I forgot to say:flashed last night,I loved it!:good:really smooth,in my opinion it's even better than cm10.besides,I don't use 3G often...I had WiFi file transfer pro before MTP for transfering files between laptop-pc...

Edit:here are some needed APPs for under-development builds:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1788535. -->the "Download Link" in the first post...
    Note that the GoogleAPPs included in the package is outdated,so you'll need to update them after flashing this...
    D
    D2dyno
    Scratch that, the kernel is included. Lol. My hope is to have the build done by the weekend. If something doesn't work, probably next week.
    If I read right, one of the main features of this will be a Nexus 7/phone styled launcher in portrait mode?
    Yep, that's right. You have to enable navigation buttons manually though.

EDIT: Ninja'd.