[Q] Help switching to stock recovery

Search This thread

Smerfurdt92

Apr 2, 2014
I Recently Bought an Htc one (M7) {running android 4.3} from an electronics shop well 4.4 Kitkat Just came out so I was all excited to update to check out all the changes... sadly I was mistaken. The previous owner had tried to root the phone so im stuck with a phone that is "Tampered" "Unlocked"
with "s-on" not to bad right? well the recovery on the phone is Team win project recovery... and the phone is not rooted

I want to return the phone to stock or at least beable to get normal ota updates

Can some one give me a detailed step by step walkthrough of how to switch the phones recovery back to stock im not very tech savy in this field

Boachti

May 14, 2012
Luxembourg
I Recently Bought an Htc one (M7) {running android 4.3} from an electronics shop well 4.4 Kitkat Just came out so I was all excited to update to check out all the changes... sadly I was mistaken. The previous owner had tried to root the phone so im stuck with a phone that is "Tampered" "Unlocked"
with "s-on" not to bad right? well the recovery on the phone is Team win project recovery... and the phone is not rooted

I want to return the phone to stock or at least beable to get normal ota updates

Can some one give me a detailed step by step walkthrough of how to switch the phones recovery back to stock im not very tech savy in this field

you have to flash a RUU

NxNW

Apr 11, 2011
There are some T-Mobile RUU's. Check the T-Mobile forum. Specifically this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2496074

Me personally I would check to see what HBOOT version is on there and if it's lower than 1.57, go S-OFF before doing anything else. Then just use TWRP to flash a stock or stock-ish 4.4 ROM and never mind OTA's.

Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app

Smerfurdt92

Apr 2, 2014
There are some T-Mobile RUU's. Check the T-Mobile forum. Specifically this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2496074

Me personally I would check to see what HBOOT version is on there and if it's lower than 1.57, go S-OFF before doing anything else. Then just use TWRP to flash a stock or stock-ish 4.4 ROM and never mind OTA's.

Thank you guys im looking further into it. Does the phone need to be rooted to flash a rom or just have the bootloader unlocked?

NxNW

Apr 11, 2011
For kit Kat it needs to be s-OFF. Let's get that out of the way first.

And some s-OFF methods require a rooted ROM to work as I recall. So it's already getting complicated.

But a typical custom Rom doesn't *need* root, in fact after flashing you will discover it *gives* you root.

Going that route requires work and some reading. Then again, getting an RUU to run successfully does too.

Basically the situation you''re in is not horrible, but to go all the way forward (S-OFF Kit Kat with ability to do anything you want in the future) or all the way back (totally locked down stock system capable only of accepting OTA's ) will require work either way.

Smerfurdt92

Apr 2, 2014
So basicaly it may be simpler if I...
1 s-off
2 download rom
2.5 put on phone memory
3 go to team win recovery
4 Click install and choose said rom?
is that the basics of it?
if I want the least amount of trouble?

Smerfurdt92

Apr 2, 2014
Also I guess what makes this most confusing for me is the non stock recovery

and to use fire water for the s-off I need to remove htc sync from the phone?

I feel im doing more work and stressing than i should be?

Yes Im quite Noobish..

NxNW

Apr 11, 2011
Pretty much yes.

There could be adventures along the way, but I think this outcome would position you well for the future.

The biggest question is how old is your HBOOT.

There is no S-OFF for 1.57 and existing exploits for 1.56 don't always work.

If you can get S-OFF, you can do anything, including a) destroying your phone by mistake; b) changing your mind later and going back to S-ON; and, my personal favorite, c) destroying your phone in the act of trying to go back to S-ON (due to modified/ damaged HBOOT partition).

If you can't get S-ON, well, see if you can get back to stock.

Occasionally you are truly stuck and can neither go forward nor backward.

Which in your case is not so bad. 4.3 works great. Honestly plenty of people here are trying to go *back* to 4.3 after trying 4.4.

With S-OFF you can always do that. S-ON, not so much..

Smerfurdt92

Apr 2, 2014
Yeah.. now i have a pretty blue screen that once every 10 minutes or so will flash the google logo so yup bricked...

NxNW

Apr 11, 2011
That would qualify as an "adventure". Still, it sounds like something less than "bricked".

See if you can enter HBOOT (hold down volume-down and power buttons for a few seconds or if you're in a boot loop , just hold down volume-down as phone is booting up).

If so, you can select fastboot and you should have the option to power down. That should give the battery a rest and give you time to think.

At some point you need to have the android tools fastboot and adb set up on your computer.

When you do, enter HBOOT, select fastboot (with phone plugged into computer via USB) and run the command fastboot getvar all.

Post the results here.

The first post of this thread doesn't really contain enough detail for others to help you otherwise.