Razr HD & Razr HD MAXX Teardown

Search This thread

madkel

Oct 16, 2012
Golden, CO
YES the display appears to be plastic-welded to the bezel! There is no obvious way to separate them. (see pics in main post)

I cannot determine if the glass is fused with display or not.

If the outer glass (digitizer), not the display itself, is broken, do you think a replacement of just the outer glass is possible? Or are you not able to remove just the outer glass? I know you said you weren't sure, but I thought I'd check anyways.

I found a replacement outer glass replacement for about $40 that I was considering buying, otherwise a full screen and digitizer assembly about $220...

[Outer Glass]
[Full Assembly]

I have a diagonal crack on the bottom left corner of my phone from a fluke drop of my phone landing.... It landed face down and a small pebble caught the inner bottom left corner of the screen when it landed and caused a fairly clean crack.

grant2

Oct 14, 2012
If the outer glass (digitizer), not the display itself, is broken, do you think a replacement of just the outer glass is possible? Or are you not able to remove just the outer glass? I know you said you weren't sure, but I thought I'd check anyways.
The screen appears to be welded or glued to the plastic frame. Without removing the screen from the frame it's impossible to know if the glass can be separated from the screen.

Have a look at the pictures in the first post, you'll see examples of what I think is holding the screen to the frame. If you recognize the bonding method then you may know how to deal with it.

tech_head

The screen appears to be welded or glued to the plastic frame. Without removing the screen from the frame it's impossible to know if the glass can be separated from the screen.

Have a look at the pictures in the first post, you'll see examples of what I think is holding the screen to the frame. If you recognize the bonding method then you may know how to deal with it.

Moto will replace broken glass for $100.

EdwardN

Jan 31, 2008
I don't think there is room for something about as thick as a credit card. The case can flex a bit, but only in the middle, so anything thicker than a credit card would have to be a decent amount smaller than the battery tray (which is 105mm x 58mm) for the flexing to give more room.

Since the battery case for the xt926 maxx is available, if you have the non-maxx you could purchase the maxx cover, and gain the extra 2mm for the inductive charger.

grant2

Oct 14, 2012

camaross465

Jul 22, 2009
Has anyone attempted to remove the screen from the housing assembly? I'm not able to find the XT926 front housing assembly to purchase all in one piece. Or, if someone knows if the XT925 housing assembly will fit.. I'm just looking for a screen replacement that isn't going to cost me $400.

creondai

Jun 5, 2010
Rio de Janeiro
razr hd to razr hd maxx

Are you interested in frankensteining your RAZR HD to have the MAXX battery? YES, it can be done! You don't even have to remove the battery or speaker.

Once you have remove the PCBs from both phones, the back panels are an identical layout.

View attachment 1795477

The MAXX back is slightly taller
View attachment 1795478View attachment 1795479

that's exactly what i wanna to do.
since there was a way for converting a simple razr to razr maxx, i'm thinking at way for converting a razr hd to razr hd maxx.
Thanks a lot. i was almost buying a razr maxx instead razr hd.
thank you very much.

JJT211

Mar 13, 2012
^^

Unless you can find a broken Maxx HD, its gonna be extremely difficult to find the back plate and do the conversion. It's much harder than the OG Razr to Razr Maxx. Read the entire thread before you attempt

creondai

Jun 5, 2010
Rio de Janeiro
^^

Unless you can find a broken Maxx HD, its gonna be extremely difficult to find the back plate and do the conversion. It's much harder than the OG Razr to Razr Maxx. Read the entire thread before you attempt

i've seen a net store selling this.But could i use only this piece for getting my conversion? so i went after the answer and found it for comparison.
The simple difference is at the back plate. Since u can get it now throught that link, it may not be a problem. am i right?
(i'm new user, the images are attached. kkkk)

Attachments

• Tbagp.jpg
    Tbagp.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 180

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    In case anyone feels like taking their RAZR HD apart, here are some instructions:

1. Get the following items together first:
    • Little dish, to hold screws & parts so they're not lost
    • "T-5" torx screwdriver
    • Plastic or thick wooden toothpicks, for gently prying connectors apart
    • A box to hold the screen/pcb/etc. so they won't get damaged

2. Use the torx screwdriver to remove the two screws on the bottom.
    st01.jpg

3. This little plastic trim is going to fly out of the phone, so point it at your dish on the next step so it doesn't land under your couch.
    st02.jpg

4. Hold the phone like you'd hold a newspaper, and slide the screen up. (Like it was a slider phone). It should move about 1/4"
    st03.jpg

5. The screen will now unfold from the back. It's attached with 2 ribbon cables. You remove the cables by pulling on them
    st04.jpg

6. The screen is now detached. Put it in a box on a high shelf out of your way so it's not lost or stepped on.
    st05.jpg

7. There are 10 black screws to remove. Use your T-5 Torx screwdriver. Put all of them into your dish of safekeeping.
    st06.jpg

8. The metal camera clip (item 2) is now loose. Put it in your dish.
    9. Remove the clear plastic over the speaker connector (item 1). It is held on with medium adhesive, you can use a thin blade to pry it away from the plastic. Put it in your dish.
    10. Pry the button ribbon cable (item 3) off the PCB, it is held with a light adhesive. Then pull it out of the connector in the direction of the arrow (HINT: see maxx pictures)
    st08.jpg

11. Here is the button ribbon cable detached
    st10.jpg

12. The speaker cable plug is held in a "U" shaped channel. You detach it by pulling it towards you (away from the back of the phone). (HINT: see maxx pictures)
    13. (optional) You can remove the camera by pulling the ribbon cable up. Not recommended- they are kind of annoying to re-attach.
    st09.jpg

13. Remove the plastic cover over the battery ribbon cable. It is held on with light adhesive.
    14. Push/pull the battery cable down to detach it. (HINT: see maxx pictures) Remember to use plastic/wood to do this- when shorted, these batteries can literally melt metal instantly.
    st11.jpg

15. With the 2 ribbon cables + speaker cable disconnected, you can now remove the PCB
    st12.jpg

16. The battery is attached with double-sided tape. You have to pry it out by pulling on the sides. There are 2 "battery removal" stickers on the battery which suggest that is where you should pry. However, I found that I could most easily pull up the upper-left corner, which would let me put my fingers underneath to pull it off. Regardless of how you go about it, be gentle, as the battery is somewhat malleable (like clay) so you want to bend it as little as possible
    st13.jpg

17. The locations of the double-sided tape- a little on top, and a bigger one on the bottom
    st14.jpg

18. The speaker is held in place with a light adhesive.
    st15.jpg

Update:

The screen appears to be plastic-welded into its bezel in several spots. The speaker & LED are removable, but the screen is not:
    st16.jpg st17.jpg

Update:

Closer pictures of the back cover and chassis.
    Also a picture of the EV30 battery electronics, for those considering attaching an induction charger. The arrows are:
    Red: Where the battery leads are soldered. Clearly we can't attach charger there because it would bypass the safety electronics
    Yellow: Snugly plugs into a socket on the PCB- no place to attach charging
    Green: Where the plug is attached to electronics. Your best option.
    st18.jpg st19.jpg st23.jpg
    Convert RAZR HD -> RAZR HD MAXX

Are you interested in frankensteining your RAZR HD to have the MAXX battery? YES, it can be done! You don't even have to remove the battery or speaker.

Once you have remove the PCBs from both phones, the back panels are an identical layout.

ss01.jpg

The MAXX back is slightly taller
    ss02.jpgss03.jpg
    Razr HD MAXX Teardown

Are you nervous about taking apart your Razr HD MAXX? No worries, it's exactly the same as the regular version. Let's go to it!

Remove screws and slide up
    sm01.jpg sm02.jpg

Unfold the screen and detach
    sm03.jpg sm04.jpg sm05.jpg

Close-ups of the PCB
    sm06.jpg sm07.jpg

Prying up the speaker connector
    sm08.jpg

Prying up the button cable
    sm09.jpg

Pushing down the battery connector. Once it's pushed down this far, you can pry it up from underneath (where the arrow points).
    sm10.jpg

PCB removed, and close-ups of the battery sitting in the battery tray
    sm11.jpg sm12.jpg

The MAXX battery: model EV40 ... 3300mAh!
    sm13.jpg
    Grant2, did u so that little tutorial yourself?
    Yes the pictures + text are all mine. Have the higher-resolution pix but i downsized them all to 640x640 to fit on the forums.

Thanks for the compliments!
    Its 2460/2530 mAh. I wonder what does that mean.. does it mean its in between this?
    "2460/2530 mAh (min/typ)" ... i take that to mean:

2460 mAh = minimum (guaranteed by the manufacturing process and/or quality assurance testing)
    2530 mAh = typical (most batteries will have this amount)

What's interesting is the "9.3/10Wh (min/typ)", which has double the tolerance (7%) as the mAh (2.8%)

2460 mAh @ 3.8v = 9.3Wh
    2530 mAh @ 3.8v = 9.6Wh

So I suspect that the package, for whatever reason, overstates the "typical" Wh slightly.