[Q] Xperia Z Bootloader?

Search This thread

Hellscythe

Sep 8, 2012
straya kienttt
Hey guys,
Just wondering if the Sony Xperia Z will come with a locked or unlocked bootloader?
if it is locked, can it easily be relocked after unlocking it for warranty purposes?

I know there isnt much info out right now, but i have never owned a sony xperia phone so,
someone shed some light for me? :)

Reactions: tacoeater1999

mattman83

Jan 19, 2011
Brisbane
Devices from carriers usually can't be unlocked. If you buy it outright then usually it can be unlocked. The process does not record your full IMEI and can be relocked after so you are pretty safe in that regard. My HTC takes the full IMEI (so it can be identified) and if you lock it then it goes to "re-locked" and not "unlocked" .... so the sony method is actually pretty good.

Before buying you can always check on a live unit if bootloader can be unlocked.

M.

Reactions: Hellscythe

Hellscythe

Sep 8, 2012
straya kienttt
Devices from carriers usually can't be unlocked. If you buy it outright then usually it can be unlocked. The process does not record your full IMEI and can be relocked after so you are pretty safe in that regard. My HTC takes the full IMEI (so it can be identified) and if you lock it then it goes to "re-locked" and not "unlocked" .... so the sony method is actually pretty good.

Before buying you can always check on a live unit if bootloader can be unlocked.

M.

Ah okay thanks mate,

m00moo

Jul 19, 2008
hmm new to Sony here too. So what are the chances of pre-orders from carriers being bootloader locked? Just to clarify, does that mean carrier purchased devices are useless (if they are locked)? I was planning to get my device from Orange Uk as i can get a pretty decent 40% off the monthly tariff which makes it the best deal for me. But if it is locked then I may need to pass on this....bummer

Hellscythe

Sep 8, 2012
straya kienttt
hmm new to Sony here too. So what are the chances of pre-orders from carriers being bootloader locked? Just to clarify, does that mean carrier purchased devices are useless (if they are locked)? I was planning to get my device from Orange Uk as i can get a pretty decent 40% off the monthly tariff which makes it the best deal for me. But if it is locked then I may need to pass on this....bummer

Well, if i recall correctly, the verizon droid DNA had a permanent locked bootloader too, but the guys here on XDA found a way to crack it.
who knows, maybe there will be a loophole discovered after the first few days?

kakkaroto

Jun 6, 2010
I'm currently using a T-Mobile Xperia T, and the bootloader is not unlockable. So I would guess the same for the Z.

Though I think early units are generally unlocked (but don't quote me on that but this was the case with my Galaxy SIII and another guy mentioned this for UK network 3).

sturmtruppler

Sep 10, 2012
AW: [Q] Xperia Z Bootloader?

Devices from carriers usually can't be unlocked. If you buy it outright then usually it can be unlocked.
Is this just the way sony handles it's bootloader?

I unlocked several different phones which were ordered from a carrier without problem. Depends on the device itself!

But Sony seems to be very developer-friendly. There's a developer site on sonys website, where details about bootloaders are posted. Don't know the exact url atm, I'm at work... :D

For me it is essential to get a phone where bootloader can be unlocked. My first phone was a lg, without custom rom I would not use it anymore... :D

m00moo

Jul 19, 2008
again as mentioned this is my first Sony Android device so please bare with me. Can someone explain the reasons to unlock the bootloader as from what i've seen people have said u still can flash ROMS with a locked bootloader?

Entropy512

Senior Recognized Developer
Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
If you're getting any sort of subsidy discount, it's highly likely your device will not be unlockable.

The general rule for Sonys is: If it is sold SIM-locked, you will not be able to unlock the bootloader. If it is sold SIM-unlocked, you'll be able to unlock the bootloader. If the carrier later gives you a SIM-unlock code for a device that is sold SIM-locked, your bootloader will remain locked (Sony is working on trying to change this with carriers).

Well, if i recall correctly, the verizon droid DNA had a permanent locked bootloader too, but the guys here on XDA found a way to crack it.
Sony's bootloader security is pretty strong. If the Z were likely to have a loophole, the T would've probably been defeated by now.

again as mentioned this is my first Sony Android device so please bare with me. Can someone explain the reasons to unlock the bootloader as from what i've seen people have said u still can flash ROMS with a locked bootloader?
You can cross-flash firmwares for other devices, but you cannot flash anything that has a modified kernel.

m00moo

Jul 19, 2008
Thanks Entropy for your very helpful reply! I appreicate it :)

In regards to the discount, it is only because a friend works for them and in return are given a discount for friends and family. Otherwise it will be just the same as purchasing it direct from my carrier. My usual experience with purchasing a phone from a carrier, especially a newer phone which has 'just' (first batch usually) released is that they are usually simfree stock (sim unlocked), but heres hoping!

m00moo

Jul 19, 2008
So therefore AOSP roms cannot run on a Locked bootloader due to requiring a different kernel. Where as variations/modded versions of Sony's rom can be flashed due to not requiring a custom kernel.

I think I understand now. The Sony rom looks decent to be honest which isn't something I can say about Touchwiz. It is actually skinned nicely and I wouldnt mind a de-bloated version of that.

brambizimski

Nov 24, 2010
I'm pretty sure sony will unlock it, judging from Sony's recent actions where they released the kernel source for the T if i'm not mistaken. Why wouldn't they do it for this monster phone right?

Akiainavas

Mar 26, 2012
Basingstoke
I'm pretty sure sony will unlock it, judging from Sony's recent actions where they released the kernel source for the T if i'm not mistaken. Why wouldn't they do it for this monster phone right?

It's already listed on Sony's "Unlock Bootloader" site. So i guess they'll all unlock, unless you get it carrier branded/simlocked and they ( carrier ) will interfere with unlocking process.

Hellscythe

Sep 8, 2012
straya kienttt

I believe you need an unlocked bootloader to be able to boot the rom?
For htc devices, you need an unlocked bootloader, but it does not have to be S OFF.
If it was S ON, you just had to do an extra process of manual flashing the boot.img through fastboot

Riyal

Dec 16, 2011
Iloilo City
This is pretty simple if it's sim locked then it's also bootloader locked. The issue is not if you bought it on your carrier or on a retailer store. It's about locks

m00moo

Jul 19, 2008
For htc devices, you need an unlocked bootloader, but it does not have to be S OFF.
If it was S ON, you just had to do an extra process of manual flashing the boot.img through fastboot

Depending on what you mean by "boot the rom" i am assuming you are referring to AOSP roms which use a different kernel to stock roms usually. Thus if you cannot flash a custom rom on the phone with a "locked" bootloader, you are stuck with stock Sony type roms. Don't mind it personally just sucks i cannot experience the great kernels that the XDA devs release. Fingers cross the first batch of pre orders will be unlocked though as they are usually sim unlocked in my experience.

This is pretty simple if it's sim locked then it's also bootloader locked. The issue is not if you bought it on your carrier or on a retailer store. It's about locks

50% true. As Entropy said the simlock can be "unlocked" by the carrier. This will therefore then be a sim unlocked device, but the bootloader remains locked. This needs to be clarified to Sony noobies like myself who may think sim unlocking will result in a unlocked bootloader, or by buying a sim unlocked device from say Ebay they have definately gotten a unlocked BL.

Last edited:

mattman83

Jan 19, 2011
Brisbane

It's different again. With a locked bootloader you can't flash a custom kernel *at all*. I'm on a HOX now so I know all about the stupid htc bootloader unlock ;) It basically means the device is useless for custom roms etc..

Still waiting to see if my local carrier will lock it or not, they have a mixed history with simlocking devices so could go either way. If it is locked I'll just pick get an iphone instead (should be roughly same price on contract) to sell on ebay and buy my sony outright ;) I'll make it work one way or another.

M.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If you're getting any sort of subsidy discount, it's highly likely your device will not be unlockable.

The general rule for Sonys is: If it is sold SIM-locked, you will not be able to unlock the bootloader. If it is sold SIM-unlocked, you'll be able to unlock the bootloader. If the carrier later gives you a SIM-unlock code for a device that is sold SIM-locked, your bootloader will remain locked (Sony is working on trying to change this with carriers).

Sony's bootloader security is pretty strong. If the Z were likely to have a loophole, the T would've probably been defeated by now.

You can cross-flash firmwares for other devices, but you cannot flash anything that has a modified kernel.
    The Bell (Canada) Xperia ZL I have has an unlockable bootloader.
    Hey guys,
    Just wondering if the Sony Xperia Z will come with a locked or unlocked bootloader?
    if it is locked, can it easily be relocked after unlocking it for warranty purposes?

I know there isnt much info out right now, but i have never owned a sony xperia phone so,
    someone shed some light for me? :)

M.

M.

Ah okay thanks mate,