[Q] Z1 Compact on ATT 4G LTE Network

Search This thread

CosmosLabs

Jul 2, 2014
Raleigh
Hello,

I just got my new Z1c from eBay. After popping in my ATT micro Sim card the APN was automatically filled in for me. I did double check with the one online and it was exact for LTE use. I was then immediately prompted for kitkat 4.4.4 update which after research, it was safe to do so.

Anyway, i am located in Raleigh, NC and here are the results (Seems to be using Band 4 [1700 MHz AWS]).

(Image attached)

For the most part great LTE coverage in Raleigh, but when i go out to the country i get HSPA+ (where as my ATT HTC One mini gets LTE [Band 17]). However HSPA+ speeds is acceptable and with the Z1c specs i am not complaining at all.

Just a note on signal icons:
ATT Stock Phones = Sony Xperia Z1c

2g = Edge (E)
3g = HSPA (H)
4g = HSPA+ (H+)
4g LTE = 4g OR LTE (This icon will vary depending what firmware region your z1c came from. but both mean the same thing, so if you get a 4G icon on your Xperia on an ATT network, then you are getting their LTE signal)

EDIT:: I will be traveling to Washington DC next weekend. It is claimed that ATT uses Band 2 up there. I'll keep you up to date if i get LTE signal as well as Speed test screenshots.

Attachments

• lte.jpg
    lte.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:

acme64

Mar 4, 2009
I'm in DC area, there's no LTE for me. I just switched to tmobile a few hours ago, but data isn't working. #fml

Socotroco

Jan 15, 2012
Montevideo
Samsung Galaxy S20
Hi all,

I just to let you all know that Z1c LTE capabilities are good, here in Uruguay(South America, search for it in google maps), the LTE network from provider ANTEL is working very fast, check out the speed in the attached image.

it's nothing wrong with this phone.. it's all carrier related.

Best regards.

Last edited:

CosmosLabs

Jul 2, 2014
Raleigh
I was in DC and Dulles/Reston area, and i was able to get AT&T LTE. Speeds were a bit slow for LTE but it was during the day, perhaps many people on the network.

-43560533214783__405x720-ARGB_8888405593843.jpg

Last edited:

testmike

May 8, 2012
Question for you guys: I see some of you guys are using the Z1 Compact on AT&T. How does it show up on the Online Account Manager? As an unidentified phone?

I'm currently using the Sony Xperia S (not recognized by AT&T's system), but I think I need a phone with more processing power.

xshadowinxbc

Nov 20, 2012
I'm considering purchasing this phone for use with AT&T. Could any people in the GA Sandy Springs area weigh in on the LTE coverage around here?

dlpoi

May 13, 2011
AT&T will not allow their LTE service on unlocked phones

I have been with AT&T since they acquired Cingular. The Xperia Z1 Compact is my first LTE capable phone. The APN settings automatically downloaded to my phone, but AT&T still needed to activate the data for some reason.

Unfortunately, like what some previous posts mentioned, AT&T does not recognize the IMEI number as being an LTE capable phone. And I was told by three customer representatives and then tech support that, since the phone is unlocked, AT&T will not allow LTE service to be delivered to the phone.

Shockingly I was told this would be the case for ANY unlocked phone! So if you plan on getting this phone or any LTE unlocked phone, in my experience with AT&T, you won't be able to use their LTE network.

Unless, according to previous posters, you give AT&T an IMEI number of a phone AT&T recognizes as LTE capable. Since this my first LTE capable phone on the network I don't have an IMEI number of an AT&T branded LTE capable phone. So I'm out of luck with getting LTE service.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm partial to Sony phones so am I basically never going to be able to use LTE if I stay with AT&T? Is T-mobile the same? So frustrating.

maddie01

Feb 5, 2009
New Orleans
I just got my Sony Z1 Compact and I get LTE Band 4 in Baton Rouge and Band 2 in Covington/Mandeville, La. I saw a list of other cities where AT&T uses Bands 2,4,5 so soon as I can find it, I will post...and keep adding cities based on feedback...

akoines

Jan 22, 2016
Hey all,

Just activated a Z1C on Cricket (AT&T) and was initially only getting HSPA+.

Noticed that by default in the "Mobile network settings" the preferred network type was set to "WCDMA (preferred)/GSM".

Changed this to LTE (preferred)/WCDMA/GSM and I started picking up LTE.

Hope this helps someone.

Reactions: Willber G

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    When you put your sim in did you download the settings? I did that and got my data to work.

On att end I always give them an IMEI off an att lte device so that I get the right data plan but switching to mobile share I don't worry about it anymore

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk
    oh, so giving them my D5503's IMEI was a mistake and I should have just left it with my old galaxy S3 IMEI? Well there goes some money wasted in activation fees.

An At&t employee here. You don't pay any activation fee for activating a customer owned device on the account. Also your previous imei is still on the notes so you can call back and tell them to change the imei back to what it was. Tell them the date and time when you changed the imei and that will help you get your s3 imei. My z1 compact works fine on the network and I have a moto X as my imei.

With all of my at&t branded phones I got lte everywhere but with this phone I get it in some places like at work but not at home. Or maybe the Z1 compact just isn't lying to me and the at&t branded phones are. Could be a possibility but no matter cause I'm getting 13 down on hspa+

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk
    Hey all,

Just activated a Z1C on Cricket (AT&T) and was initially only getting HSPA+.

Noticed that by default in the "Mobile network settings" the preferred network type was set to "WCDMA (preferred)/GSM".

Changed this to LTE (preferred)/WCDMA/GSM and I started picking up LTE.

Hope this helps someone.