DON'T ACCEPT OTA UPDATES

Search This thread

jaebond

Dec 22, 2010
Guy - he turned the phone on to activate the line/sim and it rebooted to apply. I don't own a time machine, so I couldn't reverse time and take him out to stop it.

I'm not worried too much. I'm sure someone will find a way back in...

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

I also finally had the cash to get one yesterday and it's already on vrall4. I'm lost without my root lol. All this bloat and stupid wifi notification.

I was finally going to activate mine tomorrow after a (busy) week of sitting on it. Is there any way to do this without accepting the update so I can still unlock?

AdamOutler

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Feb 18, 2011
Miami, Fl̨̞̲̟̦̀̈̃͛҃҅͟orida
im thinking this wont work only because of the video u made blatantly telling them that they are dumbasses and u had a uart root prompt while charging :p, if they patched the other exploit why wouldnt they patch the charging one..
They are dumbasses.. But that's besides the point. That info came from the kernel which can be flashed. Also that was such a low risk exploit that it doesn't really matter. Physical access, special tools, knowledge required, and it still doesn't get you into the Trust Zone.

universexda

Dec 30, 2012
I don't recall seeing an option to reject the update (may have just missed it). Does anyone know if you did defer the update, can you continue to defer (or reject) it when it attempts to remind you again? Mine is set to remind me again tomorrow afternoon and I'd like to just reject it then, if possible. Either way, I damn sure don't want it auto-installing after my defer period arrives.

Some threads here and elsewhere are suggesting that freezing or renamimg fwupgrade.apk and or sdm.apk (if you have root using the right su apps) is a way to prevent the update.

Reactions: Vegas863

BeansTown106

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 22, 2011
BeanTown USA
They are dumbasses.. But that's besides the point. That info came from the kernel which can be flashed. Also that was such a low risk exploit that it doesn't really matter. Physical access, special tools, knowledge required, and it still doesn't get you into the Trust Zone.

isnt this essentially the same thing u want us to try? if it charges with the unauthorized software does that mean its not checking security while charging? if u can clarify a little of what u want done scott has 2 note 2's and he is willing to try from what he has said to me

AZSALUKI

Sep 3, 2011
phoenix
please help, and i apologize if i missed it in this thread. i did NOT take the update (i haven't even been notified of it). however, i was messing with cwm and wanted to see if i could completely backup (nandroid) with just root, but a locked bootloader. anyhow, i got the screen in the OP ("blah blah unauthorized blah blah go to verizon"). i'm screwed. is there any way to get my phone back? is the instruction in to OP specifically if you have this screen and how to get your phone back? i really am sorry for the noob questions here. i was just unsure if the OP was instructional? i can boot and get to the odin mode screen. can i fix this from there? thanks for ANY help. i downloaded the stock pit and update bootloader files in the OP. now what?

---------- Post added at 07:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:43 AM ----------

well i'm giving it a shot. i'm assuming the OP instruction is basically having me reset this back to stock. ran odin and set the pit file and the pda file so hoping this works. i REALLY don't want to deal with verizon. fyi.....what i specifically did was went into CWM and tried to "backup rom" (or something real close to that). as soon as i selected that, i got the screen in the OP. verizon can really p*** off!!!! i really have no business messing with this stuff as i'm by no means a techie type. i love the stuff. i just know nothing about it. this forum is an incredible help and i'd like to thank all of you who contribute (especially the developers). as i typed this it finished and appears to be going through the initial setup so i guess i'm good!!!!

Last edited:

bigd5783

Mar 3, 2009
Oklahoma City
**Shakes head** Damn I hate Verizon. After this contract is up I do believe I'm going to jump ship and go back to T-Mobile. It's better to be with worse service and be able to do what I want with the device I payed for than to be locked down or constantly **** slapped every time I turn around.

As a side note I recommend we name the next unlock method as F*CK Verizon if one is found that is.

Reactions: LinaMayaDL

xxjuicymintxx

Oct 17, 2007
I installed the OTA the day of release, not knowing, being a brand new phone. Attempted the old root/unlock method, before this was a known issue. Locked my phone. Can only access download mode. No matter what I try, I cant get back to stock. Everything fails. I'm just gonna try & exchange this device. Been trying 2 days now, and making no progress.

Reactions: fozzir

adrynalyne

Dec 13, 2008
**Shakes head** Damn I hate Verizon. After this contract is up I do believe I'm going to jump ship and go back to T-Mobile. It's better to be with worse service and be able to do what I want with the device I payed for than to be locked down or constantly **** slapped every time I turn around.

As a side note I recommend we name the next unlock method as F*CK Verizon if one is found that is.

So dropped calls are acceptable if your device works ok?

wooddale

Nov 5, 2010
New Lisbon
What I dont understand I thought Samsung was on our side. All the other variants are unlockable why are they giving us a hard time? Is it because they have something against Adam for doing it or is it Verizon making them do it?

kintwofan

Jul 1, 2011
Irmo, SC
OnePlus 7T
Sony Xperia 1 III
Re: DO NOT ACCEPT OTA UPDATES!

I installed the OTA the day of release, not knowing, being a brand new phone. Attempted the old root/unlock method, before this was a known issue. Locked my phone. Can only access download mode. No matter what I try, I cant get back to stock. Everything fails. I'm just gonna try & exchange this device. Been trying 2 days now, and making no progress.

This is kind of Verizon s reasoning on doing stuff like this. ... People Brick their phones and then exchange it. If you brick it pay the cost or time to get it right don't make Verizon.
Now that my mini rant rant is over if they're is anything I can help test. I'm glad to. I'll just need a little detailed instructions because I'm no were neat add smart as beans or scrosler.

Sent from my SCH-I605 (AKA NOTE 2)

suzook

Jan 25, 2010
This is kind of Verizon s reasoning on doing stuff like this. ... People Brick their phones and then exchange it. If you brick it pay the cost or time to get it right don't make Verizon.
Now that my mini rant rant is over if they're is anything I can help test. I'm glad to. I'll just need a little detailed instructions because I'm no were neat add smart as beans or scrosler.

BS! If the damn bootloader wasnt locked, we would have LESS bricks. Its a fact! If the bootloader was unlocked, we could simply flash back to stock. VZ deserves a ton of returned/exchanged bricked devices. F them, maybe they will realize this ISNT helping.

Reactions: shojus

kintwofan

Jul 1, 2011
Irmo, SC
OnePlus 7T
Sony Xperia 1 III
Re: DO NOT ACCEPT OTA UPDATES!

BS! If the damn bootloader wasnt locked, we would have LESS bricks. Its a fact! If the bootloader was unlocked, we could simply flash back to stock. VZ deserves a ton of returned/exchanged bricked devices. F them, maybe they will realize this ISNT helping.

Well I'm not gonna argue, but skim through the s3 forums. Lots of people flash international ROMS and then take it back to Verizon instead of paying for the JTAG. I do agree there would be less bricks of it was just left unlocked, but people are still to lazy to fix it. There was a guy in the general section here with a soft brick and instead of waiting for help took it to Verizon for an exchange. Lazy people are messing it up for us users that fix the own problems. Also remember Verizon is a corporation trying to save money so ONE device swapped for user error is to many to them.

g1g

Aug 3, 2009
FLA......

Did you try to use odin?

adrynalyne

Dec 13, 2008

Less uninformed people = less bricks. The locked bootloader doesn't help or hinder it.

abe_cedar

May 23, 2011
Houston
Verizon store & help

Ci0gY.png

Here's the bottom line up-front
Samsung has inserted code to blacklist our baseline and mitigate our exploits in the bootloader patch they began pushing out last night. You will need to flash the updated bootloader baseline and stock pit in order to restore your device to operational status. The How-To Unlock your Bootloader thread is invalid at this time.

Going Forward
I need your help with CASUAL. In order to mitigate this problem, I began working on a CASUAL update system on January 13. If you feel inconvienced now, contribute to the Casual Update System beta by testing it. Currently, CASUAL is dumb. If there is a problem you won't know until after you flash. The idea behind the Update System is to either update the CASUAL to work again, or kill-switch it and automatically bring you to a thread like this one. Obviously it's infinitely more helpful than a simple failure and I need testing on Windows, Linux, Mac and firewalls.

The CASUAL Unlock method will be updated when we figure it out and it will be possible to auto-update or do a helpful kill-switch in the next version.

Addressing Security Patches:
Recognized Developer Ralekdev has began work on a new exploit. It's not going to be as simple as it was before.

Bootloader Blacklisting
You can view the updated code here: http://pastie.org/private/zzfhwlrgeeuzweiccjdpvg#22
Previously, Odin Mode would accept any SBOOT with the proper signature. Samsung has implemented a blacklist which causes properly signed flashes to fail if they are contained in the blacklist.
Code:
      bytes_to_hexstr(BL1_blacklist_str, base_addr + 0x1BF0, 16);
      if ( !strcmp(BL1_blacklist_str, BL1_blacklists[i]) )
      {
        sub_43E03A00("BL1 of the blacklist - %s\n", BL1_blacklists[i]);
        return -1;
      }
The old bootloader contained random ARM hex data "CD D2 04 85 63 83 52 7C C9 8A 97 1A CD 30 78 FB".. The new one contains an identifier "EXYNOS_4412 1220". The new bootloader is also programmed to not be able to flash itself.

Non-Header Code Execution
You can view the updated code here: http://pastie.org/private/ryxaraypnnhbmtt6nswvq
Previously, if the ANDROID header was missing from the kernel, SBOOT would execute the partition as raw ARM code. This allowed Ralekdev's exploit to jump into the SBOOT.bin and execute download mode without security checks. However the code has been replaced..
Code:
  if ( !memcmp(v5, "ANDROID!", 8) )
  {
    *** DO NORMAL SECURE BOOT ****
  }
  else
  {
    dprintf("Could not do normal boot. (invalid magic)\n");// this is where we exploited it last time to load my code
    s5p_start_download_mode(v9);
  }
  return 0;
}
So obviously, this execution of arbitrary code exploit has been patched.

Conclusion
We are working to bring a new exploit and make it easier that the last one. Ralekdev will be analyzing and working on a new exploit. I will work on deployment techniques. For now if youre having problems, flash back to stock and root your device.

Adam,
Thanks again for taking care of unlocked yet guys.

That pic made me chuckle. Verizon store and help in same sentence.
Funny.
O a serious note can someone tell if the radios are same. Imnuts was saying that they are the same. Per verizon flyer posted @ droid life nothing was mentioned about updating the radios.
Any thoughts?
Thanks again
Abe

Reactions: afmracer6

adrynalyne

Dec 13, 2008
Adam,
Thanks again for taking care of unlocked yet guys.

That pic made me chuckle. Verizon store and help in same sentence.
Funny.
O a serious note can someone tell if the radios are same. Imnuts was saying that they are the same. Per verizon flyer posted @ droid life nothing was mentioned about updating the radios.
Any thoughts?
Thanks again
Abe

Imnuts didn't say they were the same afaik. He said that the changes were very minor at best, and it *may* just be a version change.

Reactions: abe_cedar

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATE: New Jailbreak here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2118348

Ci0gY.png

Here's the bottom line up-front
    Samsung has inserted code to blacklist our baseline and mitigate our exploits in the bootloader patch they began pushing out last night. You will need to flash the updated bootloader baseline and stock pit in order to restore your device to operational status. The How-To Unlock your Bootloader thread is invalid at this time.

Going Forward
    I need your help with CASUAL. In order to mitigate this problem, I began working on a CASUAL update system on January 13. If you feel inconvienced now, contribute to the Casual Update System beta by testing it. Currently, CASUAL is dumb. If there is a problem you won't know until after you flash. The idea behind the Update System is to either update the CASUAL to work again, or kill-switch it and automatically bring you to a thread like this one. Obviously it's infinitely more helpful than a simple failure and I need testing on Windows, Linux, Mac and firewalls.

The CASUAL Unlock method will be updated when we figure it out and it will be possible to auto-update or do a helpful kill-switch in the next version.

Addressing Security Patches:
    Recognized Developer Ralekdev has began work on a new exploit. It's not going to be as simple as it was before.

Bootloader Blacklisting
    You can view the updated code here: http://pastie.org/private/zzfhwlrgeeuzweiccjdpvg#22
    Previously, Odin Mode would accept any SBOOT with the proper signature. Samsung has implemented a blacklist which causes properly signed flashes to fail if they are contained in the blacklist.
    Code:
          bytes_to_hexstr(BL1_blacklist_str, base_addr + 0x1BF0, 16);
          if ( !strcmp(BL1_blacklist_str, BL1_blacklists[i]) )
          {
            sub_43E03A00("BL1 of the blacklist - %s\n", BL1_blacklists[i]);
            return -1;
          }
    The old bootloader contained random ARM hex data "CD D2 04 85 63 83 52 7C C9 8A 97 1A CD 30 78 FB".. The new one contains an identifier "EXYNOS_4412 1220". The new bootloader is also programmed to not be able to flash itself.

Non-Header Code Execution
    You can view the updated code here: http://pastie.org/private/ryxaraypnnhbmtt6nswvq
    Previously, if the ANDROID header was missing from the kernel, SBOOT would execute the partition as raw ARM code. This allowed Ralekdev's exploit to jump into the SBOOT.bin and execute download mode without security checks. However the code has been replaced..
    Code:
      if ( !memcmp(v5, "ANDROID!", 8) )
      {
        *** DO NORMAL SECURE BOOT ****
      }
      else
      {
        dprintf("Could not do normal boot. (invalid magic)\n");// this is where we exploited it last time to load my code
        s5p_start_download_mode(v9);
      }
      return 0;
    }
    So obviously, this execution of arbitrary code exploit has been patched.

Conclusion
    We are working to bring a new exploit and make it easier that the last one. Ralekdev will be analyzing and working on a new exploit. I will work on deployment techniques. For now if youre having problems, flash back to stock and root your device.
    You answered your own question.

That was funny!

Here is the part about the OTA that is being left out.

If you look at the OTA it wont execute the updater portion of bootloader until the end.

The first thing the OTA does is examine the partitions, files, etc to see if they have been altered... If the checks fail the OTA just quits with error 7 (or 8 I forget). When it quits nothing flashes. This will occur on pretty much any custom ROM unless you edit the OTA to bypass the checks (see next line)...

I'm not saying be stupid and TRY to flash the OTA on a custom ROM but I built an L4 base last night with the OTA so you really dont need to anyways. To do this I had to remove those checks I just mentioned.

This thread should be sticked in two forums, this and general, because people thinking about rooting and on the edge need to do so now before the stock ROM forces the OTA!

But as far as a custom ROM accepting and succesfully flashing the OTA? Pretty much zero to none. Trust me on this ;c)

-Scott
    SOB.... I took it today hoping it was 4.2 and it ended up being:

Android Version 4.1.2
    Build number jzo54k.i605vramc3
    Harware version i605.06

I'm gonna wait till Beans release a 4.2 rom and then root and flash.

Ya but by taking that ota u probably just lost the ability to unlock.. Will do a build of new ota when I get home from work about 45 mins

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    Just a heads up for everyone - after many attempts, I was finally able to boot my phone. I had to take the .pit file from Adam's post, and then download this stock image - http://androidjinn.com/root-verizon-galaxy-note-2-i605.html/2 & follow the directions. It was the ONLY stock rom that successfully restored me in ODIN. Everything else prior, such as imnuts stock rom, would result in a FAIL after attempting to load the sbin.boot files.

Hope this may be of help to anyone, because I know I sure struggled! Through struggle comes growth - HUZZAH!
    I warned people not to flash it. I warned, and it was brushed aside because someone thought you could re-unlock (without 100% confirmation).

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2106158

Thanks for more information on the issue.