[DISCONTINUED] Metal Dragon Overlord v11.10

Search This thread

knzo

Nov 24, 2010
Metal Dragon Overlord, previously known as Strawberry - Android 4.1.2

This ROM is based on Rasbeanjelly but ports some essential CM features specific to our device such as the custom IOCTL and CM telephony. I also tossed in some other stuff like in-call transparency menu, the extended calculator by Xlythe and CM DeskClock (stopwatch + timer). It also combines with my own kernel based on the work by thalamus - hypothalamus. In short, it's a ROM combining the best features out there - it's smooth like AOSP, it has CM's essential features and battery but it's not overly bloated.

In development?: No.
Last build: 10/11
Includes gapps, superuser and hypothalamus kernel. Custom supported kernels: marmite, air, matrix - CM version.

Download area: By clicking here you irrevocably agree to transfer your soul's ownership to me, knzo. (source on my github @knzy)

Last edited:

knzo

Nov 24, 2010
Looks good, whats the performance like?

I have been alternating between CM10 and AOSP but I find the latter not only smoother but also more stable (obviously). I miss a few CM features though but I can't stand sluggishness. OCD.

No but you can find it on the provided link.

Actually, there is official one from Vodafone, I9020t, i9023
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1826459

Not as clean.

Last edited:

original21

Aug 2, 2010
OPPO Find X2 Pro
Since I couldn't find a goddamn clean AOSP vanilla in this section here's one I built myself.

Build ID: JRO03L.
Build date: 20/08/2012.
No modifications whatsoever (stock kernel, no power menu / toggles / battery % / busybox or even superuser).

Download: http://lulz.pt (link includes gapps and superuser optional packages).

Does it include radio, recovery, bootloader lock, etc.

apatal

Feb 27, 2012
Manila
Mind making a volume wake patch for power button bonkers like me? It's cool if you don't want to. ;)

Sent from my Nexus S

rasengan82

Nov 19, 2011
The 7/26 gapps are from a 4.1 leaked. Can someone pull the gapps from the 4.1.1 Factory images of NS?

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using xda app-developers app

knzo

Nov 24, 2010
Mind making a volume wake patch for power button bonkers like me? It's cool if you don't want to. ;)

Sorry but I'm not planning on adding features/patches.
If I started to do it I probably wouldn't stop until I had power toggles, battery % and so on.

Great idea ... any chance you would put together something for the NS4g?

I think NS4G already has something like this. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1811491 ?

Reactions: wudien and apatal

dinuvali

Aug 5, 2011
Contact pictures in this ROM are low-res (after they sync). Where can i change this?

Edit: Probably not a Rom issue, but still, help?:)

Last edited:

rasengan82

Nov 19, 2011
OK I found out that the 7/26 goo.im gapps is REALLY outdated. It contains some apk from ICS 4.0.x for calendar syncing and all the other APK are not from the official Nexus S release...but rather it's from the 4.1 leaked gapps that are very old.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Metal Dragon Overlord, previously known as Strawberry - Android 4.1.2

This ROM is based on Rasbeanjelly but ports some essential CM features specific to our device such as the custom IOCTL and CM telephony. I also tossed in some other stuff like in-call transparency menu, the extended calculator by Xlythe and CM DeskClock (stopwatch + timer). It also combines with my own kernel based on the work by thalamus - hypothalamus. In short, it's a ROM combining the best features out there - it's smooth like AOSP, it has CM's essential features and battery but it's not overly bloated.

In development?: No.
    Last build: 10/11
    Includes gapps, superuser and hypothalamus kernel. Custom supported kernels: marmite, air, matrix - CM version.

Download area: By clicking here you irrevocably agree to transfer your soul's ownership to me, knzo. (source on my github @knzy)
    After using some 4.2 ROMs for a while, including CM10.1 which I've found to be absolutely horrible in terms of smoothness and battery, I'm back to MDO. What does this mean? I didn't have one good experience with a 4.2 ROM so I lost the already low interest I had for developing or using a ROM with such version and I'm back to 4.1.2. However, it is clear by now that NS can't keep up with 4.2 so I'm planning to get rid of mine as soon as I get some decent free time to analyze the market.

tl;dr - end of the line, it was a fun ride.
    Someone can do mods for 4.2? Like battery % and stuff?

I'll add the usual stuff to 4.2, in fact battery % and power menu is already added in my source.
    Meanwhile keep 4.2 out of this thread please.

Ah, for those who don't follow me on twitter (@mnlsrv), I have provided an ETA for the release: 18/01/2013. Why? Because I have a crazy amount of work to do til 14/01/2013. What I still want to do to 4.2 source to feel it's good for daily-driver: a) fix those padding issues on the lockscreen, countdown, etc. b) fix bluetooth (not confirmed), c) fix wlan/3g location (not confirmed), d) wait for CM's new solution for power toggles. Oh, I'm not theming it.

Probably CM is going to have a nightly available before I do though.
    Hit the thanks button if you found this thread from XDA's front page and found it to be an utter train-wreck. :rolleyes:

Nothing trainwrecky about it, 4.2 link has been up and I nuked it because most XDA users are idiots like yourself who make unnecessary posts asking repeated or already answered questions. Since I don't have the patience to deal with people who think this is a service they're entitled to I just thought it was better to upload it again when all the bug fixing is done.

Move along buddy, I don't get your point of not being from this section and posting unnecessary crap like that. This isn't Youtube for the "thumbs up if you also like it in the ass".

P.S. Yeah, we are moody in the crespo section.
    Ok well, latest AOSP Strawberry is out. However, I took a different approach this time.

Changelog:
    - Instead of building from my source, I built from rasbeanjelly source with the following changes:
    - CM telephony (to kill some wakelocks crespo has)
    - CM calculator and clock (you already know the changes for this, if you don't open the apps and swipe left/right)
    - Hypothalamus kernel based on thalamus, with ondemand + modded powerhal, BLN, disabled IDLE2, custom IOCTL (to kill the remaining crespo wakelocks), some updates in the 4.1.2 drop (panic fixes and what not) and some changes to fs flags from trinity kernel.

Like rasbeanjelly, this release includes superuser and gapps, you don't need to flash them. It also has the animations disabled by default (maybe that's why some people think it's weirdly and blowingly fast? haha) so in order to enable them back go to developer settings and change everything that says animation scale back to 1x. I don't want to see posts complaining about the lack of CRT effect when I just told you now how to fix it.

You can say this release is basically rasbeanjelly with a proper kernel and CM's custom IOCTL and telephony as I'm not taking credits for anything. It is also probably my last release as I don't have the time to keep doing this almost every weekend and it seems like crespo is arriving to its end. I plan to use this release until I change phone, I hope you do too.