The ASUS Transformer Pad Infinity Thread

Search This thread

FelipeRRM

Aug 10, 2010
I'm really looking forward to this release date. Thing is I live in Brazil and things here cost 2.5x the price they cost on the USA, and I'm going to the USA on July 15th, and I had plans to get me one of those TF700. But I'm afraid that if they delay it again, I'll not be able to buy it =(

helfone

Dec 19, 2009
wow that will be exciting for you! Im hopefully going in august sometime, they better have released it by then!

cloudcult

May 6, 2012
Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum...

I recently realised that I needed a tablet so that I could reduce the use of my laptop, especially because I travel a lot, and I ended up breaking my laptop's screen, on the side, because of that.
Apparently the ASUS Infinity 700 seems to represent the best alternative to the New Ipad (which, for me, has too many limitations).

If I buy a tablet, there must be everything, so I'll definitely get the LTE version. The release date is 10th of June for Europe, but if I understood correctly, that is the release date for the wi-fi only version: is that correct?

When do you expect the LTE version to be released? I mean, according to your impressions... I know that details have not been disclosed yet.

I must say, I would never buy an Ipad, but as some of you already wrote, the wait is long, and I need a tablet as soon as possible... 10th of June is far enough, if I need to wait longer for the LTE... well that's annoying.

Also, I read on this forum that the Prime had a lot of issues... really? I mean, I would consider this purchase as an investment, something that lasts over time... I thought the Prime was a good tablet...

Thank you for commenting and providing your impressions.

Last edited:

demandarin

Apr 7, 2010
Alexandria, Va

I recently realised that I needed a tablet so that I could reduce the use of my laptop, especially because I travel a lot, and I ended up breaking my laptop's screen because of that.
Apparently the ASUS Infinity 700 seems to represent the best alternative to the New Ipad (which, for me, has too many limitations).

If I buy a tablet, there must be everything, so I'll definitely get the LTE version. The release date is 10th of June for Europe, but if I understood correctly, that it the release date for the wi-fi only version: is that correct?

When do you expect the LTE version to be released? I mean, according to your impressions... I know that details have not been disclosed yet.

I must say, I would never buy an Ipad, but as some of you already wrote, the wait is long, and I need a tablet as soon as possible, because I travel a lot and I already broke my laptop's screen, on the side, because of that. 10th of June is far enough, if I need to wait longer for the LTE... well that's annoying.

Also, I read on this forum that the Prime had a lot of issues... really? I mean, I would consider this purchase as an investment, something that lasts over time... I thought the Prime was a good tablet...

yes, only wifi version releasing initially. the LTE version is at least a month or so afterwards, at the earliest. they could always surprise everyone and release it earlier but no one knows for sure except Asus. the thing is, the Infinity pad LTE version is supposed to have the Qualcomm S4 chip in it. right now, the people who are making the chip for them is having serious problems meeting demand. Manufacturing issues on the 28nm process isn't moving as fast along as they initially thought.

As for the prime, it is a great tablet. yes there are some people who have issues. But there's also alot of us who simply love this tablet and its been performing great for us, for the most ;) prime is a wifi only version though. no LTE.

calypsoSA

May 3, 2012

I recently realised that I needed a tablet so that I could reduce the use of my laptop, especially because I travel a lot, and I ended up breaking my laptop's screen, on the side, because of that.

If I buy a tablet, there must be everything, so I'll definitely get the LTE version. The release date is 10th of June for Europe, but if I understood correctly, that is the release date for the wi-fi only version: is that correct?

I must say, I would never buy an Ipad, but as some of you already wrote, the wait is long, and I need a tablet as soon as possible... 10th of June is far enough, if I need to wait longer for the LTE... well that's annoying.

If the agents in my country are correct, then the LTE/3G version will only be here in September.

cloudcult

May 6, 2012
Thank you demandarin!

If the agents in my country are correct, then the LTE/3G version will only be here in September.

What country do you live in? I'm in Switzerland (so it's possible for me to go to Italy, for example).

I'd have a couple of additional questions (I hope you don't mind :p ): I would definitely lean towards an LTE version (provided I don't give in to the temptation of buying a "lousy" Ipad because of the wait), however I'm not sure about the different chipset, the Qualcomm S4...
I would use the Infinity for random navigation, e-mail, video streaming (youtube, or any other video embedded in news articles, for example) skype (chat and video), maybe work (word, excel), video recording... but absolutely no video-gaming. Would the S4 be less effective than the tegra, for this kind of activities/tasks?

Last question: I read somewhere, and on Skype's forums, that video calls with Skype were not possible with the Asus Prime. Do you think they will fix this issue for the Infinity?

Thank you a lot! :)

RubenRybnik

Jan 6, 2012
Cary, NC
Hey all... So I've had my Transformer Prime for about 3 weeks now. I'm still very happy with it, but like many others have become a little frustrated with a couple issues. Now I have a C batch just FYI. Wifi is great, GPS sucks but I don't care, battery is great. My main gripe right now is slow disk IO issues causing unneeded "Force Close / Wait" dialogs. Many people are seeing this( theres a whole thread on it ) and doing things like uninstalling the "MissedIt" widget takes about 2 - 3 minutes ... seriously, lol.

Anyways, I'm wondering what you all think. Should I return the Prime to Bestbuy and get my full refund now, then wait for the Infinity? Do you think the Prime will get a fix for the IO issues? Or should I keep the Prime until the Infinity comes out, see if I can get enough money on a sale to cover the Inifinity and buy that( If I do this there is a chance I won't get enough for the Prime so I'll be stuck with it for a long while )

Anyways, just asking some opinions. I really do love the Prime just wish some patches would come out to fix the disk IO wait issues, which I think is the route of some browser force close prompts as well( although Browser2Ram.apk helps this ).

Oh yea, one last question. Does anyone know the latest news on when the Infinity is being released in the US? Probably only need the WiFi version, although I would love LTE, just another monthly bill... lol

demandarin

Apr 7, 2010
Alexandria, Va
Thank you demandarin!

What country do you live in? I'm in Switzerland (so it's possible for me to go to Italy, for example).

I'd have a couple of additional questions (I hope you don't mind :p ): I would definitely lean towards an LTE version (provided I don't give in to the temptation of buying a "lousy" Ipad because of the wait), however I'm not sure about the different chipset, the Qualcomm S4...
I would use the Infinity for random navigation, e-mail, video streaming (youtube, or any other video embedded in news articles, for example) skype (chat and video), maybe work (word, excel), video recording... but absolutely no video-gaming. Would the S4 be less effective than the tegra, for this kind of activities/tasks?

Last question: I read somewhere, and on Skype's forums, that video calls with Skype were not possible with the Asus Prime. Do you think they will fix this issue for the Infinity?

Thank you a lot! :)

whatever forum you read that at was wrong. Skype works perfectly on prime. I use it all the time to video chat.

Hey all... So I've had my Transformer Prime for about 3 weeks now. I'm still very happy with it, but like many others have become a little frustrated with a couple issues. Now I have a C batch just FYI. Wifi is great, GPS sucks but I don't care, battery is great. My main gripe right now is slow disk IO issues causing unneeded "Force Close / Wait" dialogs. Many people are seeing this( theres a whole thread on it ) and doing things like uninstalling the "MissedIt" widget takes about 2 - 3 minutes ... seriously, lol.

Anyways, I'm wondering what you all think. Should I return the Prime to Bestbuy and get my full refund now, then wait for the Infinity? Do you think the Prime will get a fix for the IO issues? Or should I keep the Prime until the Infinity comes out, see if I can get enough money on a sale to cover the Inifinity and buy that( If I do this there is a chance I won't get enough for the Prime so I'll be stuck with it for a long while )

Anyways, just asking some opinions. I really do love the Prime just wish some patches would come out to fix the disk IO wait issues, which I think is the route of some browser force close prompts as well( although Browser2Ram.apk helps this ).

Oh yea, one last question. Does anyone know the latest news on when the Infinity is being released in the US? Probably only need the WiFi version, although I would love LTE, just another monthly bill... lol

Its more of a software issue. ICS & firmware needs further tweaking and optimization. people who have a 300 report same thing sometimes. so it isn't like the Infinity pad being created will magically fix this. it has same components as prime basically. we have people running custom roms and custom kernels who have significantly improved I/O speeds. For the FC, there's no way for anyone to tell what's really causing it without knowing your setup. Sometimes rogue/bad apps/Widgets can cause this. too many factors can be possibly causing it. Try a reboot or soft reset to see if it clears things up.

As for Infinity pad release date in U.S., there is none as of now. not even any mention that it will come to the u.s. at all. It will release overseas first. Rumored date is around end of June or so. if it does come to America also, expect it a month or 2 after overseas release. They might be trying to see how well it does or is received overseas first before they think of American release. If you just want to get an infinity pad based on assumption it will have better I/O speeds, you will likely be disappointed. Even the 300 has better/newer ram, DDR3, than prime and benchmarks have shown thats there's no improvement in memory performance vs. prime DDR2 RAM. Memory performance/I/O speeds will improve with further Asus firmwares and developers involvement. Developers here seem to know the mods/tweaks to do to improve on all of this.

Reactions: cheltenham2004

cloudcult

May 6, 2012
whatever forum you read that at was wrong. Skype works perfectly on prime. I use it all the time to video chat.

That's great! I'm relieved... I remember I read it somewhere and then double-checked it on skype's official forum, and there was a very long thread concerning that issue. I'm glad you said it's not the case :)

Last edited:

RubenRybnik

Jan 6, 2012
Cary, NC
Its more of a software issue. ICS & firmware needs further tweaking and optimization. people who have a 300 report same thing sometimes. so it isn't like the Infinity pad being created will magically fix this. it has same components as prime basically. we have people running custom roms and custom kernels who have significantly improved I/O speeds. For the FC, there's no way for anyone to tell what's really causing it without knowing your setup. Sometimes rogue/bad apps/Widgets can cause this. too many factors can be possibly causing it. Try a reboot or soft reset to see if it clears things up.

As for Infinity pad release date in U.S., there is none as of now. not even any mention that it will come to the u.s. at all. It will release overseas first. Rumored date is around end of June or so. if it does come to America also, expect it a month or 2 after overseas release. They might be trying to see how well it does or is received overseas first before they think of American release. If you just want to get an infinity pad based on assumption it will have better I/O speeds, you will likely be disappointed. Even the 300 has better/newer ram, DDR3, than prime and benchmarks have shown thats there's no improvement in memory performance vs. prime DDR2 RAM. Memory performance/I/O speeds will improve with further Asus firmwares and developers involvement. Developers here seem to know the mods/tweaks to do to improve on all of this.

Thanks for the info. I know that IO stuff has been linked to software, just thinking ASUS may prioritize the fixing of this to the Infinity, however since you say the hardware is mostly the same I'm guessing the Infinity fix will most likely make it to the Prime.

I am running AOKP Milestone 5, with Motley's Generic Kernel with 1.8ghz clock, and have ran the V6 SuperCharger script. All this seems to help the day to day use, however file operations are still really slow( say unzipping a file with 2000 images in it is much slower on my Prime then it is on my SGSII ). The only other fix I'm aware of that I haven't tried yet is a thread I saw with some kernel modules, and one is specifically aimed to resolve IO issues, going to try that today.

In anycase, due to the, far off / unknown release data, the fact that it's unknown that it will actually fix anything IO related when it does come out, and the fact that I'm in love with a tablet that also has a keyboard dock :) I'll keep the Prime and await fixes as they come. Can't go without a tablet for several months, been using the Prime a ton every day, and loving it!

Thanks again for the info

undercover

Oct 10, 2010
London, UK
What you are talking about, are IO schedulers. NOOP sucks because it does not prioritises operations. Basically of you have a process consuming IO in the background and using browser, it will still gives priority to the one in the background because it was started earlier. It just uses basic queueing system. Other ones are better at that but worse at other things. Bad news. None of the available schedulers is created for Android, they are just Linux kernel, which is obviously created for pc. Wherever they are adjusted or not, I couldn't tell you.

Below is IMHO. Not forced on anyone.

Good news, other manufacturers do make it work, so unless there is underlying problem with hw (cheap ass IO related components with low spec) it should be fixable.
Similarity of components was what stopped me waiting for 300 or 700. They have potentially inherited the problem, so we can only rely on Asus or xda devs to fix it. Since development for tfp is so weak, I don't think devs will fix it (not undermining devs work) so we can only rely on Asus. And in the light of the TF201 launch, rely on the Asus we cannot.

Hope you'll be happy with whatever choice you make

Dem. Btw, I have iPad2 2,1,which is logical since its refurbished unit (just letting you know because ee had short conversation about it previously)

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio using xda premium

demandarin

Apr 7, 2010
Alexandria, Va
What you are talking about, are IO schedulers. NOOP sucks because it does not prioritises operations. Basically of you have a process consuming IO in the background and using browser, it will still gives priority to the one in the background because it was started earlier. It just uses basic queueing system. Other ones are better at that but worse at other things. Bad news. None of the available schedulers is created for Android, they are just Linux kernel, which is obviously created for pc. Wherever they are adjusted or not, I couldn't tell you.

Below is IMHO. Not forced on anyone.

Good news, other manufacturers do make it work, so unless there is underlying problem with hw (cheap ass IO related components with low spec) it should be fixable.
Similarity of components was what stopped me waiting for 300 or 700. They have potentially inherited the problem, so we can only rely on Asus or xda devs to fix it. Since development for tfp is so weak, I don't think devs will fix it (not undermining devs work) so we can only rely on Asus. And in the light of the TF201 launch, rely on the Asus we cannot.

Hope you'll be happy with whatever choice you make

Dem. Btw, I have iPad2 2,1,which is logical since its refurbished unit (just letting you know because ee had short conversation about it previously)

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio using xda premium

if people want to test out different I/O schedulers on prime, all they have to do is install ATP Tweaks. it allows you to set and enable other schedulers like CFQ or deadline. People can experiment with that to see if it benefits their particular issue with scheduling. most peoples gripes seem to stem from when apps download from the market. In default Noop, this causes slowdown alot of times since its given priority. what i don't get is when I can have a huge movie file downloading in opera mobile or any other browser or whatever and it doesn't slow the system down at all. I'm guessing marketplace functions or downloads given priority over everything else. people can experiment with the other schedulers to see if it improves that or other things. I remwber SaturnDe, creator of ATP tweaks, saying that CFQ was the best for for eliminating stalls/lags/freezes etc.. I never use it long enough to see the difference though.

krizbi

May 7, 2012
TF700 in Swiss online shop Heiniger

There are several versions of TF advertised in the Swiss online shop Heiniger - even the 3G version. All have the shipping date "end of May".

I cannot post links but if you go to shop dot heinigerag dot ch and select the Telekommunikation -> Tablets -> Asus you'll be able to see the full listing. Can anyone who lives in Switzerland try to find out more details?

Last edited:

demandarin

Apr 7, 2010
Alexandria, Va
There are several versions of TF advertised in the Swiss online shop Heiniger - even the 3G version. All have the shipping date "end of May".

I cannot post links but if you go to www dot heinigerag dot ch and select the Tablets -> Asus you'll be able to see the full listing. Can anyone who lives in Switzerland try to find out more details?

that date is not correct for 3g one, at least. that date you show is like an optimistic date of release. likely mid-late june for wifi only version. 4g version will be much later, likely delayed.

helfone

Dec 19, 2009
Does anyone know of any good previews on youtube of the infinity that are unlisted? Maybe I havent seen them all =) I'd like to do some more drooling, but I need some new footage...

helfone

Dec 19, 2009
Yeah, asus is keeping quiet bigtime. They probably wont have a stand at CTIA even...

dagrim1

Sep 1, 2008
if people want to test out different I/O schedulers on prime, all they have to do is install ATP Tweaks. it allows you to set and enable other schedulers like CFQ or deadline. People can experiment with that to see if it benefits their particular issue with scheduling. most peoples gripes seem to stem from when apps download from the market. In default Noop, this causes slowdown alot of times since its given priority. what i don't get is when I can have a huge movie file downloading in opera mobile or any other browser or whatever and it doesn't slow the system down at all. I'm guessing marketplace functions or downloads given priority over everything else. people can experiment with the other schedulers to see if it improves that or other things. I remwber SaturnDe, creator of ATP tweaks, saying that CFQ was the best for for eliminating stalls/lags/freezes etc.. I never use it long enough to see the difference though.

Unfortunately scheduler doesn't seem to make a whole lot of difference...

I notice IO being a whole lot slower for my TF201 compared to the SGS2 for example... I notice this when restoring titanium backups, I see it when running the RL SQLite benchmark, when installing apps from market, etc.

It just doesn;t look like an ICS issue (SGS2 is running ICS as well) and perhaps that might also explain the pretty damn slow boottime of the prime. (Again compared to sgs2 which takes like 25 secs max to boot to ICS while the prime takes over a minute.

Btw, my prime seems to be exceptionally crappy compared to regular benchmarks but after unlockign it and opening it extensivly (and carelessly) there's not much I can do about it wrt exchanging...

Top Liked Posts