Going back to JB.

Search This thread

blindman75

Jan 7, 2013
I was unlocked on JB and went with the kk ota. I now want to go back to JB. Can I restore from an old 4.1 backup. I was using a different version of twrp when making the backup.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

bweN diorD

Jun 12, 2011
Bunch of lookers...anybody want ho help a poor guy out?

you can defiantly go back, i just dont know what will happen as far as twrp is concerned.
seems like at some point you would have a compatibility issue with the old software and the new twrp.
but i never tried it, therefore i didnt post to help you with inaccurate information.

there is a guide in my sig (skip down to the relevant parts), that will get you back to jb, but it is a proven method and doesnt involve restoring any backups.

blindman75

Jan 7, 2013
Thanks for the response. I saw the guide. I'm just not that familiar with rsd. Thought restoring an old backup would be much simpler if it would work.

iBolski

Thanks for the response. I saw the guide. I'm just not that familiar with rsd. Thought restoring an old backup would be much simpler if it would work.

You can't restore an old backup. You can flash back to stock JB, but at that point, you cannot use any of the old ROMs as they need the old JB bootloader, which is now running the KK bootloader. That is in a trusted partition that you cannot downgrade at all. So, trying to use old JB-based ROMs will no longer work. So, if you were planning on going back to a JB-based custom ROM, it won't work from what I know once you have upgrade to KK.

But, if you want to go back to stock JB, then yes, that is possible.

You can use SamuriHL's RSD Flasher (which is in beta) -> http://www.droidrzr.com/index.php/topic/48904-rsd-flasher-beta-windows-only/

Or, you can use his House of Moto tool which is here -> http://www.droidrzr.com/index.php/topic/28162-house-of-moto-25/

He lists the instructions in both posts, so read, read and re-read a third time before you even attempt to flash back to JB. Three readings usually causes the light bulb to finally go off and it ensures you understand everything. If at that point you don't understand, then ask questions (and be sure you state you read it three times). Usually, people who do read three times figure it out and have no issues.

That's your only option at this point or stay on KK.

iBolski

So there's no way to go back to the JB bootloader?

Like i said, no. It's in a trusted zone. You'll still have the KK bootloader installed, but you'll be able to flash back to stock JB and boot that.

You might be able to make it work, but as @bweN diorD stated, it's not a proven method to flash back to old ROMs nor use old nandroid backups.

I myself use Titanium Backup Pro to backup my apps and data and that works fine.