[Q] why there is no special features like as in lg g2 or any other high end phones

Search This thread

Nikhil.1105

Mar 8, 2014
hello guys...
Just wanted to know why nexus 5 doesn't have special features such as camera effects, special effects for home screen or so on..

vin4yak

Mar 10, 2013
Mumbai
vinu.info
That's because Nexus line of devices come with pure vanilla android!

If you want those effects, there are tons of apps available on the playstore :)

OuncE718

Feb 27, 2010
DC by way of BK
hello guys...
Just wanted to know why nexus 5 doesn't have special features such as camera effects, special effects for home screen or so on..

As stated its because we have pure "vanilla" android. It's a bit boring to some but its exciting for those that want speed and love to hack/modify.

Think of it this way. The Nexus 5 is like a Lamborghini (uncomfortable to drive, but very fast), phones like the G2 are like a Mercedes still pretty fast (not as fast as the Lambo) but its more luxurious and packed with features.

The main feature exclusive to the Nexus 5 is timely updates straight from Google.

sent from my neXus 5

mortenmhp

Jul 23, 2008
Hedensted
You do realise what Vanilla means right?

Yeah http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanilla_software

Anyway the reason is of course that the software is built from aosp with Google addons, while this is also the case for any other device, except those have their respective customisations on top of aosp and Google addons.

So nexus 5 has plenty of special features, they are just not exclusive, as Google is about software and makes money from all android devices, and allows all OEMS to use these features, while the OEMS want to keep their features exclusive in order to attract customers to their devices.

So every time Google adds new features, its also rolled out to all other android devices.

Last edited:

PhilipTD

Dec 17, 2010
LI
Google Pixel 6 Pro
hello guys...
Welcome to the forum!

The features you mentioned are really easy to add if you are rooted. BEFORE you root, however, I strongly suggest that you read everything you can about the phone to become familiar with its native functionality (e.g., the sticky threads at the top of this forum) as well as the N5 Apps and Themes forum to get an idea of how you can mod (Browsing the Play Store and trying out apps is also a lot of fun). ONLY after you have read thoroughly everything mentioned above, you can decide if you'd like to root (which I recommend, because many great apps and mods require root) and, perhaps, try flashing some custom roms and kernels.

Anderson2

Feb 25, 2012
I'm familiar with Google play and have installed many apps from there, but I've not owned another Android phone. So I don't know what capabilities other high end phones have that are missing on the N5.

What are some of the better customizations some high end phones have that I could add to the N5 using which apps? I am rooted but would prefer to remain with stock rom 4.4.2 rather than flash a new rom.

Thanks.

thesebastian

Sep 25, 2012
Barcelona
Actually, we're still slightly modified from vanilla aosp. We have Google dialer lookup and photosphere.

Nexus 5 is developers phone and built on a budget

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Yeah that's right. AOSP also has Browser by default (not Chrome) and many other things...

We (Nexus + GPE Devices) have:
AOSP + Google Apps - Some AOSP Apps (that were replaced).

Sent from my Nexus 5

bjoostema

Apr 1, 2013
I'm familiar with Google play and have installed many apps from there, but I've not owned another Android phone. So I don't know what capabilities other high end phones have that are missing on the N5.

What are some of the better customizations some high end phones have that I could add to the N5 using which apps? I am rooted but would prefer to remain with stock rom 4.4.2 rather than flash a new rom.

Thanks.

Since you are rooted, I would suggest perhaps looking into xposed framework and the gravity box module, since it's essentially made for phones this close to stock android. You can enable a ton of useful features from there, all on the stock ROM. There are also kernels you can flash to attain certain features, such as the knock on screen to activate thingy that comes with the LG G2. There aren't really a tone of features that other phones have that the N5 doesn't, The base functions are essentially the same, they just present a ton of different ways to go about it. With gravity box, for example, you can make it so when you tap on the status bar the phone goes to sleep. You can really do anything you want as far as customization, but all smartphones essentially do the same thing ie:internet, phone calls, camera, bt, music etc. Since you went ahead and rooted, research custom recoveries and start going to town exploring options. There are a ton for a phone such as this, it's just a matter of sifting through all the option until you find exactly what you want. You can google the highlights that other OEMs provide and find a close-as-possible match for that feature, whether it be a module, rom or kernel. There are A TON of options, so don't get overwhelmed and have fun brother! Modding a Nexus is, in my opinion, more about the journey of exploring the possibilities rather than searching for the perfect set up. Welcome to the best phone out right now and if there is anything I can help you with, please feel free to PM me.

Last edited:
Reactions: BCSC

Anderson2

Feb 25, 2012
Thanks for replying. Because I've never used one of the other phones I just didn't know what I was "giving up" by going with Nexus.

I've been a user of Xposed Framework, Xgravity, Xprivacy, and Boot manager for some time and love them. Also greenify, titanium backup, Nova prime, and TWRP. I'm delighted with the phone but had no previous experience to compare it with which is why I asked the question.

For instance I've heard some users rave about their MotoX interface but I don't know what made it so special. Do you know?

(Still scared to go into kernels and different roms because everything is working so well and I don't want to mess things up).

bjoostema

Apr 1, 2013
Thanks for replying. Because I've never used one of the other phones I just didn't know what I was "giving up" by going with Nexus.

I've been a user of Xposed Framework, Xgravity, Xprivacy, and Boot manager for some time and love them. Also greenify, titanium backup, Nova prime, and TWRP. I'm delighted with the phone but had no previous experience to compare it with which is why I asked the question.

For instance I've heard some users rave about their MotoX interface but I don't know what made it so special. Do you know?

(Still scared to go into kernels and different roms because everything is working so well and I don't want to mess things up).

The 2 biggest aspects, as far as I understand, to what makes the Moto X so unique is the "always listening" feature, which we have with ok Google and the active display lockscreen, which shows messages and content from the lockscreen using a black background. Since it is AMOLED, that uses less battery than actually turning on the phone to look at the message. There are a couple app that can perform this function for any phone (AcDisplay and Dynamic Notifications.) While they are certainly cool, doesn't do us much good battery-savingwise because we don't have AMOLED screens. Moto X also uses its core in some way that is supposed to be more efficient...but I honesty haven't looked into it much : ) I completely understand about be wary with kernels and ROMs! I've been flashing assorted mods for a couple of years, but it took me some time to commit myself to doing it and I read and read and read because I didn't wanna jack anything up. Inevitably I did, but it was a learning experience. I completely understand about the stock ROM as well. I have tried a few ROMs and kernels on this phone and decided that I was perfectly happy with stock. I'm not even rooted anymore and I locked my bootloader back (shameful, I know. and though this kind of contradicts what I was saying about experimenting, stock is where I am the most satisfied...I've tried plenty of other ROMs, but I've found I crave true stability) This phone is a beast as is and the only reason I would ever root is just for gravity box, but I'm content for now. There are some bugs with stock, but Google is working on them and there should be an update in the near future.

Reactions: PhilipTD

Tunderpimp

Jul 13, 2012
hello guys...

It does. It's the easiest phone to mod and comes with the largest mod community. That's a special feature that's why I buy it

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

Nikhil.1105

Mar 8, 2014
Thanks to all... But I don't know how to root.. And rooting will void my warranty.. And if in case something goes wrong in route then I will regret for it..

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Actually, we're still slightly modified from vanilla aosp. We have Google dialer lookup and photosphere.

Nexus 5 is developers phone and built on a budget

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Thanks.

Since you are rooted, I would suggest perhaps looking into xposed framework and the gravity box module, since it's essentially made for phones this close to stock android. You can enable a ton of useful features from there, all on the stock ROM. There are also kernels you can flash to attain certain features, such as the knock on screen to activate thingy that comes with the LG G2. There aren't really a tone of features that other phones have that the N5 doesn't, The base functions are essentially the same, they just present a ton of different ways to go about it. With gravity box, for example, you can make it so when you tap on the status bar the phone goes to sleep. You can really do anything you want as far as customization, but all smartphones essentially do the same thing ie:internet, phone calls, camera, bt, music etc. Since you went ahead and rooted, research custom recoveries and start going to town exploring options. There are a ton for a phone such as this, it's just a matter of sifting through all the option until you find exactly what you want. You can google the highlights that other OEMs provide and find a close-as-possible match for that feature, whether it be a module, rom or kernel. There are A TON of options, so don't get overwhelmed and have fun brother! Modding a Nexus is, in my opinion, more about the journey of exploring the possibilities rather than searching for the perfect set up. Welcome to the best phone out right now and if there is anything I can help you with, please feel free to PM me.

The 2 biggest aspects, as far as I understand, to what makes the Moto X so unique is the "always listening" feature, which we have with ok Google and the active display lockscreen, which shows messages and content from the lockscreen using a black background. Since it is AMOLED, that uses less battery than actually turning on the phone to look at the message. There are a couple app that can perform this function for any phone (AcDisplay and Dynamic Notifications.) While they are certainly cool, doesn't do us much good battery-savingwise because we don't have AMOLED screens. Moto X also uses its core in some way that is supposed to be more efficient...but I honesty haven't looked into it much : ) I completely understand about be wary with kernels and ROMs! I've been flashing assorted mods for a couple of years, but it took me some time to commit myself to doing it and I read and read and read because I didn't wanna jack anything up. Inevitably I did, but it was a learning experience. I completely understand about the stock ROM as well. I have tried a few ROMs and kernels on this phone and decided that I was perfectly happy with stock. I'm not even rooted anymore and I locked my bootloader back (shameful, I know. and though this kind of contradicts what I was saying about experimenting, stock is where I am the most satisfied...I've tried plenty of other ROMs, but I've found I crave true stability) This phone is a beast as is and the only reason I would ever root is just for gravity box, but I'm content for now. There are some bugs with stock, but Google is working on them and there should be an update in the near future.
    Thanks to all... But I don't know how to root.. And rooting will void my warranty.. And if in case something goes wrong in route then I will regret for it..

You will be happier with a different phone.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk