Boost Mobile APN fix for any ROM

Search This thread

vitokes

Jul 7, 2013
Grand Junction, CO
Okay so first thing is first let this be known that this was not created by me. I'm just sharing along since I found a fix. All you have to do is Google up "universal boost mobile APN fix for d2lte" its a mod created by mopedryder. All credit goes to him. I haven't thanked cause I'm not on the thread. But here you go. This will fix the APN. Receive and send MMS and also fix "roaming indicator" to "Boost Mobile". Hope this works for everyone else like me.

Currently tried with C-Rom. Try it out and share your findings

I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING THAT HAPPENS TO YOUR PHONE! FLASH AT YOUR OWN RISK

All Thanks go to MOPEDRYDER

How to:
1) Flash rom of choice
2) Let Rom update and finish.
3) Reboot to recovery, MAKE BACKUP, Flash fix
(wipe dalvik/cache if you want)
4) Reboot and change settings in Hangouts.
5) Test it

Since the fix is meant for the LTE network from Hangouts APN's select "Sprint CdmaNai" There are two of them so select the one that works best. I usually use the first one.

So far what i have tried it on.

*CM11 - Working with fix and using hangouts.
*Paranoid Android - Working with fix and using Hangouts
*C-Rom - Working with fix and using Hangouts As of C-Rom v7 data won't work on xt1031 so MMS will not send. And no you can't do it over WiFi might as well send it through regular Hangouts.
*Slim Rom - Not working. Just hangs at (Sending)
*Lego Rom - Not working. Hangs at (sending)
*Gummy Rom - Working with fix. Using hangouts.
*AOSB (ProBAM) - Not working. Hangs at (sending)
*Omni Rom - Working with fix. Using hangouts.

ALTERNATE FIX

After flashing APN fix and that didn't work try this:

1) Download 8sms from the playstore: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.thinkleft.eightyeightsms.mms
2) Go to settings in 8sms-> MMS settings-> add the following

MMSC: http://mm.myboostmobile.com

MMS Proxy: 68.28.31.7

MMS Port: 80
3) Test it. Should work just fine.

Try this fix before and after flashing the APN fix with ROM. This won't work on ProBAM ROM for some reason but feel free to prove me wrong.

Mopedryder actually replied and gave his own input and this is what he had to follow with that ks go to him one more time and also junkie2100

Haha! The things you find when one googles your profile. Small world indeed.

If you want a link to the folder I keep the fixes in use this: (copy to OP if wanted)

Boost LTE fix

R2 is basically a install binary update.

Here is some backstory / info on the 'fix':

The primary goal I set out to do was to get lte working on our phones with CM / AOSP ROMs(I have a G3 Virgin Mobile phone). Secondary, if able was to get MMS to work. MMS is still a challenge to say the least. In order to get LTE / MMS to work on Sprints network you need to identify yourself as Boost / Virgin on the Sprint network...with correct settings and at times credentials. The APN settings I made actually is a combo of both Sprint and Virgin/Boost settings.

Beyond the APN settings I made a simple bash script to 'find and replace', or if not found input the settings required. It also adds a eri.xml for the phone to identify itself as Boost / Virgin.

Getting MMS to work on LTE made me pull my hair out. Virgin mobile(Boost) working on Sprint networks when it comes to MMS messages is an over complicated issue caused the providers. When attempting to receive MMS on LTE networks with stock MMS or some 3rd party MMS apps it returns with a "HTTP error: Authorization Required". When trying it on 3G its no problem. Seems they required "Authorization" for MMS on LTE but not 3G - go figure. Hangouts basically works for all because the app itself doesn't use the phones APN settings. It tries (and does) to attain what carrier you are on and use its settings. In our case it will identify you are on the Sprint network and use those APN settings. Why don't we set our phones to the Sprint settings?...no LTE then.

For Samsung phones (My S3) TW ROMs use a system called chameleon to attain both LTE and SMS/MMS ability. The chameleon system will not work in AOSP / CM ROMs. The system "shows" itself as Virgin Mobile for phone/network but Sprint for MMS.

I have also found this fix doesn't seem to work on MIUI ROMs either. Haven't figured out why. For some reason every S3 sprint MIUI ROM wont even boot on my phone.

For my fix - if anyone wants to use / edit / repost it I say go for it. Open source at its finest. Best way to learn IMO is to reverse engineer something....just be careful :fingers-crossed:

As for the code if anyone wants to see it without unzipping:

The reason this is capable of flashing on multiple phones is partition specific blocks are not used.

mount("ext4", "EMMC", "/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/system", "/system");

Is used and not something like:

mount("ext4", "EMMC", "/dev/block/mmcblk0p14", "/system");

Script I made for the build.prop edits:
#!/sbin/sh
#For APNs fix D2LTE Build ROMs
#Written by Moped_Ryder
#Update to handle universal lte builds
busybox mount -o remount,rw /system
cp /system/build.prop /system/build.prop-bak
if grep -q "ro.cdma.home.operator" "/system/build.prop"; then
sed -i 's/ro.cdma.home.operator.numeric.*$/ro.cdma.home.operator.numeric=311870/' /system/build.prop
sed -i 's/ro.cdma.home.operator.alpha.*$/ro.cdma.home.operator.alpha=Boost Mobile/' /system/build.prop
sed -i 's/ro.product.locale.region=.*$/ro.product.locale.region=US/' /system/build.prop
sed -i 's/gsm.sim.operator.alpha.*$/gsm.sim.operator.alpha=Boost Mobile/' /system/build.prop
sed -i 's/gsm.sim.operator.numeric.*$/gsm.sim.operator.numeric=311870/' /system/build.prop
sed -i 's/gsm.operator.alpha.*$/gsm.operator.alpha=Boost Mobile/' /system/build.prop
sed -i 's/gsm.operator.numeric.*$/gsm.operator.numeric=311870/' /system/build.prop
sed -i 's/gsm.sim.operator.iso-country=.*$/gsm.sim.operator.iso-country =US/' /system/build.prop
sed -i 's/gsm.operator.iso-country=.*$/gsm.operator.iso-country=US/' /system/build.prop
sed -i 's/ro.telephony.default_network=.*$/ro.telephony.default_network=8/' /system/build.prop
else
echo "####Adding the Boost Mobile APN fixes####" >> /system/build.prop
echo "ro.cdma.home.operator.numeric=311870" >> /system/build.prop
echo "ro.cdma.home.operator.alpha=Boost Mobile" >> /system/build.prop
echo "ro.telephony.default_network=8" >> /system/build.prop
echo "telephony.slteOnCdmaDevice=1" >> /system/build.prop
sed -i 's/ro.product.locale.region=.*$/ro.product.locale.region=US/' /system/build.prop
sed -i 's/gsm.sim.operator.iso-country=.*$/gsm.sim.operator.iso-country =US/' /system/build.prop
sed -i 's/gsm.operator.iso-country=.*$/gsm.operator.iso-country=US/' /system/build.prop
fi
if grep -q "moped_ryder" "/system/build.prop"; then
echo "its there"
else
echo "#moped_ryder carrier edit completed" >> /system/build.prop
fi

Like I said nothing too complicated :cowboy:

The APN Settings used are:

Credit where due > My work may not have been possible without junkie2100 from android forums. You ever see him - give him a like / thanks please :good:

...as said in the OP flash at won risk. Sorry so long

Last edited:

ricola1989

Oct 4, 2010
Thanks for sharing. I'm gonna give it a shot tonight after backing everything up.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

ricola1989

Oct 4, 2010
So I did flash the fix and my phone shows up as Boost Mobile for my network, but it still won't send MMS. Which APN did you select since there's like 10 of em?

Sent from my Moto G using Tapatalk

hhill13

Jan 10, 2011
Okay so first thing is first let this be known that this was not created by me. I'm just sharing along since I found a fix. All you have to do is Google up "universal boost mobile APN fix for d2lte" its a mod created by mopedryder. All credit goes to him. I haven't thanked cause I'm not on the thread. But here you go. This will fix the APN. Receive and send MMS and also fix "roaming indicator" to "Boost Mobile". Hour this works for everyone else like me.

Currently tried with C-Rom. Try it out and share your findings.

Just tried this with Lego ROM...did you have to clean install for it to work? I still can't access my APN settings. It says Boost for the service now instead of the Roaming Indicator message but still no MMS support. I know you gave the link for a different thread with the methods for the fix but can you give detail on the exact steps that you did for it to work on the Moto G please? It would be greatly appreciated, MMS is the last thing I'm missing, I'm loving everything else about my current ROM and really don't wanna go back to stock.

vitokes

Jul 7, 2013
Grand Junction, CO
So I did flash the fix and my phone shows up as Boost Mobile for my network, but it still won't send MMS. Which APN did you select since there's like 10 of em?

Alright so I've been going from ROM to ROM to see which one plays nice. My first was c-rom and that worked. Then I tried pa and that also worked. Anyways the apn's only go to hangouts since that's what it's meant for. Now I'm using Lego ROM and got some reason it won't send the pictures through it. The APN I pick from hangouts is SprintCdmanai.

Reactions: ricola1989

vitokes

Jul 7, 2013
Grand Junction, CO
Just tried this with Lego ROM...did you have to clean install for it to work? I still can't access my APN settings. It says Boost for the service now instead of the Roaming Indicator message but still no MMS support. I know you gave the link for a different thread with the methods for the fix but can you give detail on the exact steps that you did for it to work on the Moto G please? It would be greatly appreciated, MMS is the last thing I'm missing, I'm loving everything else about my current ROM and really don't wanna go back to stock.

I was currently testing this with Lego ROM. And I can't seam to get it to send MMS either. It works with the previous ROMs I've tried.

1. Flash whatever ROM you are going to use.
2. Complete your setup. Let everything update.
3. Flash APN fix, boot when done.

The APN settings only show up in hangouts.

vitokes

Jul 7, 2013
Grand Junction, CO
So I was on Lego ROM and it wouldn't work. I don't know why. I did notice on Lego ROM you can't access the APN settings in settings>mobile network>APN settings. It's just greyed out. So I switched back to latest pa and you can access APN settings through mobile network. And I'm now sending and receiving

hhill13

Jan 10, 2011
So I was on Lego ROM and it wouldn't work. I don't know why. I did notice on Lego ROM you can't access the APN settings in settings>mobile network>APN settings. It's just greyed out. So I switched back to latest pa and you can access APN settings through mobile network. And I'm now sending and receiving

Good to know, I will jump back over to the Lego thread and see if the OP has any input on the issue.

Sent from my Moto G using XDA Free mobile app

ricola1989

Oct 4, 2010
I started out with a clean install of Lego ROM when I flashed this fix. I, too, an not able to send/receive MMS or pictures. I'm going to check the Lego thread and see what the OP SARS @vitokes- have you tried this fix on Slim, that's what Lego is mainly based on....

I do think that access to the APN settings in the actual Settings menu has something to do with it. Also, it took me a bit to get the ROM to give 3g since it won't stick if you select Preferred Network in the menu. You actually have to go into the Phone hidden menu info from the dialer (*#*#4636#*#*).

Andromendous

Feb 15, 2014
Just tried on slim and it only hangs. It must be something to do with the ROM. Anyways I updated the thread wit how to's and also what ROM works and doesn't.

IF you want me to test more just let me know and I'll check them out if you would like.

what do you mean it "hangs", it says boost mobile now. but when i tryed an mms it said "insert sim to send mms". i tryed a couple different apns, but just the default and the one mentioned a few posts back

vitokes

Jul 7, 2013
Grand Junction, CO
what do you mean it "hangs", it says boost mobile now. but when i tryed an mms it said "insert sim to send mms". i tryed a couple different apns, but just the default and the one mentioned a few posts back

By "hangs"
I mean it hangs at just sending. Doesn't send an MMS. Or receive. And then once left for a minute or 2 it says it can't be sent. Touch to retry. I think the problem is slim ROM in general..

Edit: also the only APN's you can use from the list are the bottom 2. They are meant for CDMA network.

Last edited:

vitokes

Jul 7, 2013
Grand Junction, CO
Having the hanging problem I'm c-rom tried both cdma

Also try to add your own APN settings just like the picture

ze7a3any.jpg

Bstrong9211

Jun 10, 2012
I'm surprised this isn't more popular. It should be added to the roll up thread.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Okay so first thing is first let this be known that this was not created by me. I'm just sharing along since I found a fix. All you have to do is Google up "universal boost mobile APN fix for d2lte" its a mod created by mopedryder. All credit goes to him. I haven't thanked cause I'm not on the thread. But here you go. This will fix the APN. Receive and send MMS and also fix "roaming indicator" to "Boost Mobile". Hope this works for everyone else like me.

Currently tried with C-Rom. Try it out and share your findings

I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING THAT HAPPENS TO YOUR PHONE! FLASH AT YOUR OWN RISK

All Thanks go to MOPEDRYDER

How to:
    1) Flash rom of choice
    2) Let Rom update and finish.
    3) Reboot to recovery, MAKE BACKUP, Flash fix
    (wipe dalvik/cache if you want)
    4) Reboot and change settings in Hangouts.
    5) Test it

Since the fix is meant for the LTE network from Hangouts APN's select "Sprint CdmaNai" There are two of them so select the one that works best. I usually use the first one.

So far what i have tried it on.

*CM11 - Working with fix and using hangouts.
    *Paranoid Android - Working with fix and using Hangouts
    *C-Rom - Working with fix and using Hangouts As of C-Rom v7 data won't work on xt1031 so MMS will not send. And no you can't do it over WiFi might as well send it through regular Hangouts.
    *Slim Rom - Not working. Just hangs at (Sending)
    *Lego Rom - Not working. Hangs at (sending)
    *Gummy Rom - Working with fix. Using hangouts.
    *AOSB (ProBAM) - Not working. Hangs at (sending)
    *Omni Rom - Working with fix. Using hangouts.

ALTERNATE FIX

After flashing APN fix and that didn't work try this:

1) Download 8sms from the playstore: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.thinkleft.eightyeightsms.mms
    2) Go to settings in 8sms-> MMS settings-> add the following

MMSC: http://mm.myboostmobile.com

MMS Proxy: 68.28.31.7

MMS Port: 80
    3) Test it. Should work just fine.

Try this fix before and after flashing the APN fix with ROM. This won't work on ProBAM ROM for some reason but feel free to prove me wrong.

Mopedryder actually replied and gave his own input and this is what he had to follow with that ks go to him one more time and also junkie2100

Haha! The things you find when one googles your profile. Small world indeed.

If you want a link to the folder I keep the fixes in use this: (copy to OP if wanted)

Boost LTE fix

R2 is basically a install binary update.

Here is some backstory / info on the 'fix':

The primary goal I set out to do was to get lte working on our phones with CM / AOSP ROMs(I have a G3 Virgin Mobile phone). Secondary, if able was to get MMS to work. MMS is still a challenge to say the least. In order to get LTE / MMS to work on Sprints network you need to identify yourself as Boost / Virgin on the Sprint network...with correct settings and at times credentials. The APN settings I made actually is a combo of both Sprint and Virgin/Boost settings.

Beyond the APN settings I made a simple bash script to 'find and replace', or if not found input the settings required. It also adds a eri.xml for the phone to identify itself as Boost / Virgin.

Getting MMS to work on LTE made me pull my hair out. Virgin mobile(Boost) working on Sprint networks when it comes to MMS messages is an over complicated issue caused the providers. When attempting to receive MMS on LTE networks with stock MMS or some 3rd party MMS apps it returns with a "HTTP error: Authorization Required". When trying it on 3G its no problem. Seems they required "Authorization" for MMS on LTE but not 3G - go figure. Hangouts basically works for all because the app itself doesn't use the phones APN settings. It tries (and does) to attain what carrier you are on and use its settings. In our case it will identify you are on the Sprint network and use those APN settings. Why don't we set our phones to the Sprint settings?...no LTE then.

For Samsung phones (My S3) TW ROMs use a system called chameleon to attain both LTE and SMS/MMS ability. The chameleon system will not work in AOSP / CM ROMs. The system "shows" itself as Virgin Mobile for phone/network but Sprint for MMS.

I have also found this fix doesn't seem to work on MIUI ROMs either. Haven't figured out why. For some reason every S3 sprint MIUI ROM wont even boot on my phone.

For my fix - if anyone wants to use / edit / repost it I say go for it. Open source at its finest. Best way to learn IMO is to reverse engineer something....just be careful :fingers-crossed:

As for the code if anyone wants to see it without unzipping:

The reason this is capable of flashing on multiple phones is partition specific blocks are not used.

mount("ext4", "EMMC", "/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/system", "/system");

Is used and not something like:

mount("ext4", "EMMC", "/dev/block/mmcblk0p14", "/system");

Script I made for the build.prop edits:
    #!/sbin/sh
    #For APNs fix D2LTE Build ROMs
    #Written by Moped_Ryder
    #Update to handle universal lte builds
    busybox mount -o remount,rw /system
    cp /system/build.prop /system/build.prop-bak
    if grep -q "ro.cdma.home.operator" "/system/build.prop"; then
    sed -i 's/ro.cdma.home.operator.numeric.*$/ro.cdma.home.operator.numeric=311870/' /system/build.prop
    sed -i 's/ro.cdma.home.operator.alpha.*$/ro.cdma.home.operator.alpha=Boost Mobile/' /system/build.prop
    sed -i 's/gsm.sim.operator.alpha.*$/gsm.sim.operator.alpha=Boost Mobile/' /system/build.prop
    sed -i 's/gsm.sim.operator.numeric.*$/gsm.sim.operator.numeric=311870/' /system/build.prop
    sed -i 's/gsm.operator.alpha.*$/gsm.operator.alpha=Boost Mobile/' /system/build.prop
    sed -i 's/gsm.operator.numeric.*$/gsm.operator.numeric=311870/' /system/build.prop
    sed -i 's/ro.telephony.default_network=.*$/ro.telephony.default_network=8/' /system/build.prop
    else
    echo "####Adding the Boost Mobile APN fixes####" >> /system/build.prop
    echo "ro.cdma.home.operator.numeric=311870" >> /system/build.prop
    echo "ro.cdma.home.operator.alpha=Boost Mobile" >> /system/build.prop
    echo "ro.telephony.default_network=8" >> /system/build.prop
    echo "telephony.slteOnCdmaDevice=1" >> /system/build.prop
    fi
    if grep -q "moped_ryder" "/system/build.prop"; then
    echo "its there"
    else
    echo "#moped_ryder carrier edit completed" >> /system/build.prop
    fi

Like I said nothing too complicated :cowboy:

The APN Settings used are:

Credit where due > My work may not have been possible without junkie2100 from android forums. You ever see him - give him a like / thanks please :good:

...as said in the OP flash at won risk. Sorry so long
    That's why it didn't work! You won't be able to send mms without data..

Sorry guys forgot to check up. But yeah c-rom has broken data on xt1031 for the moment so that's why you can't send data. Probably won't work until then.

Could you test this on AOSB project ProBam ROM? Would be appreciated!

I'll try it out at work no problem.

Alright so I've been going from ROM to ROM to see which one plays nice. My first was c-rom and that worked. Then I tried pa and that also worked. Anyways the apn's only go to hangouts since that's what it's meant for. Now I'm using Lego ROM and got some reason it won't send the pictures through it. The APN I pick from hangouts is SprintCdmanai.