[Q] Buy Nexus 7, wait for Nexus 8 or buy Dell Venue 8?

Search This thread

dmkozak

Oct 10, 2006
With all the screen issues, I'm very hesitant to buy a Nexus 7. Actually, I'd buy two; one for my wife and one for me. But, there seems to be no fix in sight for the all the screen issues. I'd rather have an 8 inch screen than a 7 inch screen, but I have no idea whether Google will produce a Nexus 8 in the next six months or so. And, Dell has their Venue 8 available for sale. It's screen resolution may not be as good as the Nexus, and it uses a dual core instead of a quad-core CPU. But, for web surfing, email, watching videos, it seems to do pretty well.

Wondering what forum members thoughts are. Will probably wait a little while and see if there are any negative reports on the Dell in the next few weeks. (All existing buyer reviews are pretty positive.)

Dakura

Aug 3, 2013
Ankara
Why do you need 8 inch? You should either buy 7 inch or 10+inch if you ask me, anything more than 7 inch is NOT portable, if you want a multimedia device to use at home don't buy 7 inch tablet. I don't have any screen issues, i think you should give more thought on what you need.

Wubbz

Feb 19, 2013
Wasilla, AK
I have no idea why so many people think Google is going to make a nexus 8 when there is a nexus 7. They're not going to make a tablet from 5 to 10 just to satisfy every person who wants an obscure sized tablet. If Google ever makes 3rd nexus tablet choice it'll be larger than the 10 not in between 7 and 10.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

dulber

Jul 12, 2004
It's a hit or miss. Why not go to your most trusted retailer and test a couple out then pick the best screen you can find.
I don't have any issues with my unit.

almosteuro

Sep 7, 2008
Not sure what "screen issues" OP is referring to. Been using mine everyday for little over a week with no probs.

dmkozak

Oct 10, 2006
Why do you need 8 inch? You should either buy 7 inch or 10+inch if you ask me, anything more than 7 inch is NOT portable, if you want a multimedia device to use at home don't buy 7 inch tablet. I don't have any screen issues, i think you should give more thought on what you need.

I can only guess that you don't know the physical size of the 8 inch is the same as the 7 inch, there's less screen border on the front.

dmkozak

Oct 10, 2006
I have no idea why so many people think Google is going to make a nexus 8 when there is a nexus 7. They're not going to make a tablet from 5 to 10 just to satisfy every person who wants an obscure sized tablet. If Google ever makes 3rd nexus tablet choice it'll be larger than the 10 not in between 7 and 10.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

I guess people think there will be Nexus 8 because of the pic released by Google a few months ago. It was quickly photoshop'd to a Nexus 7 after the roar on the net. Since Google actually took a picture of someone using what appeared to be a Nexus 8, a number of people, including me, expected Google to release a Nexus 8 sometime.

dmkozak

Oct 10, 2006
Not sure what "screen issues" OP is referring to. Been using mine everyday for little over a week with no probs.

There's a nine page thread entitled Potential Touch Screen Fix. This forum is full of Nexus 7 2nd gen touch screen problems. It looks a hardware grounding issue. Some people are on their fourth and fifth units and still having the problems.

I'm glad your's has worked well for one week and another poster's has worked well for one day, but this seems to be a hit and miss issue. Plus, many people notice the problem after having had the unit a while.

dmkozak

Oct 10, 2006
It's a hit or miss. Why not go to your most trusted retailer and test a couple out then pick the best screen you can find.
I don't have any issues with my unit.

That seems to be the only real option. At least buying locally means you won't have to mail the unit back if its defective. You only have to return it to the store.

Unless, you want the additional geography of an 8 inch screen. I guess waiting seems to be the best bet.

almosteuro

Sep 7, 2008
There's a nine page thread entitled Potential Touch Screen Fix. This forum is full of Nexus 7 2nd gen touch screen problems. It looks a hardware grounding issue. Some people are on their fourth and fifth units and still having the problems.

I'm glad your's has worked well for one week and another poster's has worked well for one day, but this seems to be a hit and miss issue. Plus, many people notice the problem after having had the unit a while.

Gotcha, I guess I will just cross my fingers and hope that I don't experience any of the same issues. I will go ahead and look that thread up though, to at least familiarize myself with them in case they do arise. Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Shrek77

Feb 13, 2013
Claysburg
I have had 2 with screen issues. The first one was extremely bad. 3 spots that didn't register touches practically at all. And the second one had touch issues and rebooting when the tablet was in a case. I was very disappointed. I am going to get a hp slate 7 extreme that runs the tegra 4. I play games often and the tegra 4 beats the snapdragon in gaming. The 1 gig of ram is still fine for the hp since kitkat is going to be running on it. The screen resolution is lower than the 7 v2 but it's still better than 720hd. The 7 v2 was my first choice but I feel that I gave Nexus 2 chances with their product and they failed.

dmkozak

Oct 10, 2006
Certainly don't wish anyone difficulties with their 7. In fact, the more positive current sales turn out to be, the more likely Asus has fixed these issues during manufacturing.

My wife and I have had a pair of Nexus 4 phones for over a year, and both are performing flawlessly. I guess we're looking for the same kind of reliability with a 7-8 inch tablet.

I'd love for Google to come out with a Nexus 8, like in the "old" screen shot. And, seeing what happens in the next few weeks seems like the safe bet.

Neither of us is a gamer, so we don't need the speed gamers require.

Last edited:

namhuy

Dec 24, 2013
Mine made in August 2013, totally fine.

Nam Huy Linux Blog namhuy.net

Last edited:

transceiver

Apr 1, 2011
The new Nexus 7 is my favorite device ever, and I use it hours a day even after months of having it. I'm actually glad I didn't get the LTE version because then it would never leave my side (tempting though, since TMobile offers free data for tablets).

From what I've seen on my Dell Venue 11, Windows 8 is nowhere near as easy to use or as useful as Android. It actually pisses me off sometimes, for well-known issues like battery drain and control panel. PM me if you want more thoughts on the Dell Venue.

Mac of York

Jun 12, 2012
Yorktown, VA

Hi -- I've had my unit since October and I've had absolutely zero problems with it. :3 I bought it from Best Buy.

Ovy13

Jun 20, 2010
I got a Nexus 7 (2013) for Christmas, it was purchased from Best Buy. I already have an HTC One, and I have to say -- the Nexus 7 keeps up fine, despite inferior specs. And my HTC One feels so very small now. It only beats the Nexus 7 in sound. I was reluctant to open up my Nexus 7, I gave a lot of thought to returning it for the credit, but I'm glad I kept it now. Go get a Nexus 7!

dmkozak

Oct 10, 2006
And today's current rumor, from various component suppliers, is the Nexus 8 will be introduced this summer. (Background comments are that Google is disappointed in the sales of the current Nexus 7.)

Currently, the choices are Nexus 7 (2013) at $269 for 32 gb; LG G Pad 8.3 at $299 (street price) for 16gb but w/SDHC; or Dell Venue 8 at $179/$209 for 16/32 gb but w/SDHC. The Dell has less dense screen, but equal to the rest of the competition, and twin core CPU which is more than capable for videos.

I don't know how to "convert" std G Pad to Google Edition w/less bloatware and quicker OTA updates. If the OTA updates along from LG, and LG doesn't modify them, then the question becomes how much of delay in getting them from LG rather than from Google.

If either LG or Dell comes up with sweet deal, that might be the way to go. I'll have to keep my eyes open.