NEED HELP Rooting a ZTE WHIRL

Search This thread

se7encircles

Jul 8, 2013
Moorefield
I have tried to root this phone it does root but it is only temperorary it goes away after reboot.
I got busyinstalled in the /system/bin but no SU
The system is RO

I have tried this code to no avail
busybox mount-o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk0p18
cant be found in proc/mounts

busybox dd if=/sdcard/cwm.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18
permmsion denied

I used framaroot and it said sucess then it said binary cant be installed any help would be great a thnk you ahead of time

Symblex

Feb 17, 2010
I have tried to root this phone it does root but it is only temperorary it goes away after reboot.
The system is RO

permmsion denied

I used framaroot and it said sucess then it said binary cant be installed any help would be great a thnk you ahead of time

I've tried to root the ZTE Whirl also with the same results as you. It is my understanding that it cannot be permanently rooted unless the write protection is disabled. I read on other forums that this was done on the HTC One X and Motorola MOTOX with a recovery installed zip. I don't know if the file in the zip "wp_mod.ko" would work on the ZTE Whirl and without access to the RUU, I really don't know how an update zip could be made. I'm no developer but this is my understanding from my research.

Oct 23, 2014
Melbourne City Centre
The system is RO

permmsion denied

Download Vroot.. turn on USB Debugging..and tick on usb debugging to active it on your phone setting/developer option
connect your phone to pc..and wait untill it detect..click root...and it will reboot..done..only one click root..i use this already 2 year..work find..if this help..press thank button :laugh::good::laugh:

Symblex

Feb 17, 2010
Download Vroot.. turn on USB Debugging..and tick on usb debugging to active it on your phone setting/developer option
connect your phone to pc..and wait untill it detect..click root...and it will reboot..done..only one click root..i use this already 2 year..work find..if this help..press thank button :laugh::good::laugh:

Vroot cannot root this device at all. Framaroot can root device. The problem is that the system is write protected. In other words, it is temporary until you reboot etc. I have found that if I already have Supersu.apk installed when I root that I will have super user permissions etc., however, when I open Supersu and attempt to update binaries, it fails and root is immediately lost. I have also rooted and used Total commander to remount r/w and could paste files to system directories etc. but SuperSU still failed to update and lost root. When I attempt to install SuperSU or any zip via stock recovery, it verifies etc but in the end aborts installation. I am beginning to thing that its not just write protected but active defense against any changes to system from stock. BTW, you don't have to drain the battery to root: When I loose root (after restart etc.) I uninstall Framaroot apk, shut down device (not restart), start device, install Framaroot and am able to root with Gandalf option.

Bottom line: This write protection or whatever it is needs to be removed or disabled for root to be permanent.