Haret.exe Android Install and Boot from Windows Mobile

Search This thread
Sep 22, 2009
*Update: These instructions now seem to be outdated. I will started an updated thread here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=648045
------------
(sorry I tried to post some live links, but the forum won't allow them cause I'm a new user, so this may not be as helpful as I hoped...)

I just spent some hours wading through the forums to find complete instructions for installing the newer android builds using the WM haret.exe linux booter (rather than flashing the entire phone and loosing WM) on my touch Vouge.

I am a bit of a newb, but since I did not find complete instructions, and had to figure some things out using trial and error I thought I would post what I did figure out here in hopes of helping others.

First ignore the install instructions here. sourceforge.net/apps/trac/androidhtc/wiki/HowToInstall . They are old and need to be updated.

• Erase all previous android files from your sd card
  • Go here: sourceforge.net/projects/androidhtc/files/
  • haretinstall.zip
  • open the zip and place the andboot folder and all its contents on the / directory of your SD card
  • then download eclair252_androidinstall.zip
  • unzip eclair252_androidinstall.zip to get androidinstall.tar
  • copy androidinstall.tar to your sdcard /andboot folder
    (unnecessarily steps deleted - see below)
  • Then on your phone's file explorer run haret.exe from /andboot folder on you sd card
  • click run and immediately hold the volume switch up as linux boots
  • the boot menu appears. choose install
  • if the installation hangs hold volume up again, and choose quit

As I said I'm new at this, so my instructions may be off or misguided. If so please post with corrections. I just know I was looking for a guide like this and couldn't find one so hope this helps someone.

Last edited:

egzthunder1

Admin Emeritus - Spirit of XDA
(sorry I tried to post some live links, but the forum won't allow them cause I'm a new user, so this may not be as helpful as I hoped...)

I just spent some hours wading through the forums to find complete instructions for installing the newer android builds using the WM haret.exe linux booter (rather than flashing the entire phone and loosing WM) on my touch Vouge.

I am a bit of a newb, but since I did not find complete instructions, and had to figure some things out using trial and error I thought I would post what I did figure out here in hopes of helping others.

First ignore the install instructions here. sourceforge.net/apps/trac/androidhtc/wiki/HowToInstall . They are old and need to be updated.

• download basefiles.zip
  • open the zip and place the andboot folder and all its contents on the / directory of your SD card
  • then download vogueeclairnbh.zip
  • unzip vogueeclairnbh.zip to get VOUGIMGx480.NBH
  • copy VOUGIMGx480.NBH to your sdcard /andboot folder
  • Then on your phone's file explorer run haret.exe from /andboot folder on you sd card

As I said I'm new at this, so my instructions may be off or misguided. If so please post with corrections. I just know I was looking for a guide like this and couldn't find one so hope this helps someone.

Actually, you just answered my question (which I never posted) about NoRootFS.... Thanks for posting this!!!!

incubus26jc

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 12, 2009
Illinois
can you explain what is the benefits of doing it this way compared to the way its always been for me. it was as simple as downloading the sqsh package zip file from my favorite build here. witch included all the files i needed to run anroid. I copied the android folder from the zip file to the root of my sd card and simply ran haret exe. It used to be complicated but not now that most builds include all the basefiles needed for boot. I never had to hold any volume buttons or install anything. i probably look dumb for asking this.

Last edited:

tmcfarland

Nov 26, 2007
can you explain what is the benefits of doing it this way compared to the way its always been for me. it was as simple as downloading the sqsh package zip file from my favorite build here. witch included all the files i needed to run anroid. I copied the android folder from the zip file to the root of my sd card and simply ran haret exe. It used to be complicated but not now that most builds include all the basefiles needed for boot. I never had to hold any volume buttons or install anything. i probably look dumb for asking this.

Although I have not yet tried myself because I have a Polaris and WiFi is not yet working, my understanding is that NoMoRootFS makes more space available for the ROM and makes it easier for developers to roll out updates. In the thread for Myn's (most excellent) Warm Donut, there are several themes and updates that can only be applied to Rev2 if you have installed via NoMoRootFS.

ryomahino

Sep 7, 2007
Lima

• download basefiles.zip
    [*]then download vogueeclairnbh.zip
    [*]unzip vogueeclairnbh.zip to get VOUGIMGx480.NBH
    [*]copy VOUGIMGx480.NBH to your sdcard /andboot folder

I think that this step is not needed. The NBH files were made for flash your phone. If you run Haret is not needed.
Am I right?

tatnai

Jul 17, 2008
Ann Arbor, USA
I think that this step is not needed. The NBH files were made for flash your phone. If you run Haret is not needed.
Am I right?

correct. with the OP method, the .nbh file is just taking up space. you never need to do anything with a .nbh file if you are using haret. OP, please fix and I will add to my list of FAQs, otherwise very informative. thx.

Last edited:

Emmie0702

Jun 20, 2008
Roanoke, VA
Help

I can't get this to boot on my Vogue. The black Linux screen pops up & starts running but stops. The last line says...
[ 2.226233] Rebooting in 3 seconds.._

I've followed your instruction to the letter & can't see to get it to work. Anyone have suggestions?

tatnai

Jul 17, 2008
Ann Arbor, USA
I can't get this to boot on my Vogue. The black Linux screen pops up & starts running but stops. The last line says...
[ 2.226233] Rebooting in 3 seconds.._

I've followed your instruction to the letter & can't see to get it to work. Anyone have suggestions?
Did you get into the install menu by holding volume up? easiest and quickest way to help you is if you describe exactly what you did - I know it is similar to the OP, but just give a step by step in your own words.

Last edited:

Emmie0702

Jun 20, 2008
Roanoke, VA
Did you get into the install menu by holding volume up? easiest and quickest way to help you is if you describe exactly what you did - I know it is similar to the OP, but just give a step by step in your own words.

Did didn't get past the Linux menu. It only ran for about 4 or 5 seconds then locked up. I had to soft reset to get my phone functioning again.

I did exactly what the instructions in the 1st post said to do.

Downloaded andboot file to \storage card\andboot
Downloaded androidinstall.zip & placed in the andboot file
Clicked haret.exe
Selected run while holding up the volume key

I read in the post that the below items were not necessary so I skipped them:then download vogueeclairnbh.zip
unzip vogueeclairnbh.zip to get VOUGIMGx480.NBH
copy VOUGIMGx480.NBH to your sdcard /andboot folder

I'm running stock rom. My carrier is nTelos (CDMA).

Stevevo

May 22, 2008
I notice that your rom version and radio version are not the latest. You may have to ungrade those before you can get it to run.

tatnai

Jul 17, 2008
Ann Arbor, USA
Did didn't get past the Linux menu. It only ran for about 4 or 5 seconds then locked up. I had to soft reset to get my phone functioning again.

I did exactly what the instructions in the 1st post said to do.

Downloaded andboot file to \storage card\andboot
Downloaded androidinstall.zip & placed in the andboot file
Clicked haret.exe
Selected run while holding up the volume key

I read in the post that the below items were not necessary so I skipped them:then download vogueeclairnbh.zip
unzip vogueeclairnbh.zip to get VOUGIMGx480.NBH
copy VOUGIMGx480.NBH to your sdcard /andboot folder

I'm running stock rom. My carrier is nTelos (CDMA).

I notice that your rom version and radio version are not the latest. You may have to upgrade those before you can get it to run.
always good to have latest radio. i don't know if it will interfere with you booting linux, usually it creates problems with gps or data once you are in android. but who knows, anything is possible I suppose.

list the files that are in /sdcard/andboot/ emmie0702

Emmie0702

Jun 20, 2008
Roanoke, VA
I've always wanted to update me ROM but there is not a Server cab out there that will give me back my settings for nTelos. Its a small cell network therefore no one has bothered to create one (I really can't blame them). So I've never tried it out of fear of Bricking my phone. For some reason nTelos did not offer WiFi, GPS or MMS with this phone through their network (didn't know that until AFTER I bought it). They have it for other phones but not this one for some reason. That was a little annoying when I 1st got it but I've leaned to live without it. I love my phone even w/o those things. I get pics emailed to me & can email them to other's phone through their carrier address (eg 1234567890@vzwpic.com). WiFi would be nice but I never use GPS. As far as the Radio. I assume it sort of the same step. I pretty much have to install it & it will wipe out or "Hard Reset" my phone, right...causing me to losing all my network info?

Here are the files I have in the andboot folder:
androidinstall
haret
initrd
READE-BASEFILES
zImage
zImage-eclair

** I could not file the "eclair252_androidinstall.zip" file to download so I downloaded the androidinstall.zip under the "2010-01-05" folder from sourceforge.net/projects/androidhtc/files/. Could that be the problem or could it be a combination of my Radio/ROM & the androidinstall tar I downloaded?

Thanks for the help guys!

tatnai

Jul 17, 2008
Ann Arbor, USA
I've always wanted to update me ROM but there is not a Server cab out there that will give me back my settings for nTelos. Its a small cell network therefore no one has bothered to create one (I really can't blame them). So I've never tried it out of fear of Bricking my phone. For some reason nTelos did not offer WiFi, GPS or MMS with this phone through their network (didn't know that until AFTER I bought it). They have it for other phones but not this one for some reason. That was a little annoying when I 1st got it but I've leaned to live without it. I love my phone even w/o those things. I get pics emailed to me & can email them to other's phone through their carrier address (eg 1234567890@vzwpic.com). WiFi would be nice but I never use GPS. As far as the Radio. I assume it sort of the same step. I pretty much have to install it & it will wipe out or "Hard Reset" my phone, right...causing me to losing all my network info?

Here are the files I have in the andboot folder:
androidinstall
haret
initrd
READE-BASEFILES
zImage
zImage-eclair

** I could not file the "eclair252_androidinstall.zip" file to download so I downloaded the androidinstall.zip under the "2010-01-05" folder from sourceforge.net/projects/androidhtc/files/. Could that be the problem or could it be a combination of my Radio/ROM & the androidinstall tar I downloaded?

Thanks for the help guys!
you should be able to update your radio without touching your rom, there is a radio only version of 3.42.50, see the faqs noob guide to flashing, it is in there.

I am unsure what you downloaded; it looks like you have the right basefiles, but if you got androidinstall.zip from 2010-01-05 I don't think it will have anything compatible with the norootfs method, and is probably causing your problem.
delete androidinstall.tar, download this and drop the androidinstall.tar that is inside into your sdcard/andboot/ folder. then run haret and keep holding volume up until you see the install menu. then post back.

Last edited:

Emmie0702

Jun 20, 2008
Roanoke, VA
you should be able to update your radio without touching your rom, there is a radio only version of 3.42.50, see the faqs noob guide to flashing, it is in there.

I am unsure what you downloaded; it looks like you have the right basefiles, but if you got androidinstall.zip from 2010-01-05 I don't think it will have anything compatible with the norootfs method, and is probably causing your problem.
delete androidinstall.tar, download this and drop the androidinstall.tar that is inside into your sdcard/andboot/ folder. then run haret and keep holding volume up until you see the install menu. then post back.

OK. Same thing...phone locks up at the same place. I downloaded the file you attached & downloaded the VOGUIMG.nbh file that was linked on PPCGeeks. I followed the instructions on PPCGeeks post "This is the vogue radio 3.42.50 designed for the vogue (this is not the titan port). I removed it directly from the bell rom and recomplied it as a radio only .nbh. This is a radio only rom designed to be flashed from bootloader from sd card and doesn't require a hard reset. Copy VOGUIMG.nbh to root of fat32 micro sd card 2gb or less and place phone in bootloader and it will run."
I still get the same outcome. Both your attachment & the VOGUIMG.nbh file are located \Storage Card\ on my phone. When the Radio instructions say its designed to be flashed from Bootloader what exactly does that mean? Do I need a program for that or is it suppose to start when I Run the default.txt after I select haret in the andboot folder?

tatnai

Jul 17, 2008
Ann Arbor, USA
the place you got the link to the radio only version also has instructions on how to flash your phone - see the before starting area. short: get into bootloader mode, then flash.

I still think there is something else that you are doing wrong, I just can't put my finger on it right now; i'm hoping others will be able to help.

Emmie0702

Jun 20, 2008
Roanoke, VA
the place you got the link to the radio only version also has instructions on how to flash your phone - see the before starting area. short: get into bootloader mode, then flash.

I still think there is something else that you are doing wrong, I just can't put my finger on it right now; i'm hoping others will be able to help.

OK. I figured out how to get it in bootloader mode (power button + camera + soft reset). The Red/Blue/Green screen pops up & then a Grey screen that says "loading...". Its been "loading" for over 5 minutes now. What could be the problem?