How is THAT screen?

Search This thread

daddioj

Jul 23, 2011
Poconos
So, by the logic that's being regurgitated on these boards, with all the lag on the S5 Samsung should have went back to a 720p screen. Right?

its just my opinion. im using a S5 right now. you know what no lag. and if there is some. its nothing like the G3. i am not a fan boy of one brand/device. but i know when a product is not ready for prime time. hell even the G2 had no lag. we can all be in denial if we wish. and if say there is no lag. who wants to go back to 4hrs on screen time. or charge up during the day. not me. if i wanted that i would have bough an iphone lol

Reactions: Lostatsea23

americasteam

Jan 31, 2011
Bowling Green, KY
its just my opinion. im using a S5 right now. you know what no lag. and if there is some. its nothing like the G3. i am not a fan boy of one brand/device. but i know when a product is not ready for prime time. hell even the G2 had no lag. we can all be in denial if we wish. and if say there is no lag. who wants to go back to 4hrs on screen time. or charge up during the day. not me. if i wanted that i would have bough an iphone lol

Denial. Why would I be in denial? I didn't make this device and have a perfectly fine M8 sitting at home. Maybe you have a defective device. Mine has little to no lag and I am getting at least 5 1/2 hours of screen on time. The first one I had was a lag fest.

The G2 I had was laggy until I installed CM11 on it. The S5 is the laggiest phone I have ever used and I've owned about every top end android phone made in the last 3 years.

Do you even know why they're producing another version with the 805 soc for Korea? It has nothing to do with the 1440p screen.

I would suggest you return your G3 or swap it out if your this unhappy with it. I know I would.

daddioj

Jul 23, 2011
Poconos
Denial. Why would I be in denial? I didn't make this device and have a perfectly fine M8 sitting at home. Maybe you have defective device. Mine has little to no lag and I am getting at least 5 1/2 hours of screen on time.

The G2 I had was laggy until I installed CM11 on it. The S5 is the laggiest phone I have ever used and I've owned about every top end android phone made in the last 3 years.

Do you even know why they're producing another version with the 805 soc for Korea? It has nothing to do with the 1440p screen.

I would suggest you return your G3 if your this unhappy with it. I know I would.

i did. tried with the 855 then with the LTE-A version which worked in the US. both the same. but glad your happy with yours. and you cant say it has nothing to do with the 1440p screen. we know they need the 805 for there data speeds. LG is also making a updated handset with the 805 soc. but to me it was a race to the market. even if it meant less on screen time and performance. but enjoy your phone :cool:

Reactions: americasteam

oneandroidnut

Jun 5, 2013
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Denial. Why would I be in denial? I didn't make this device and have a perfectly fine M8 sitting at home. Maybe you have a defective device. Mine has little to no lag and I am getting at least 5 1/2 hours of screen on time. The first one I had was a lag fest.

I would suggest you return your G3 or swap it out if your this unhappy with it. I know I would.
I disagree the s4 was a laggy pos. I sold within days. thing was terrible

BoundsChecking

Mar 19, 2013

Agree with this. I've had most (if not all) of the super phones in the past two years. All I did was slap on Apex, and turn the window animations to a faster speed and BOOM, no more lag. IMO, its not that the screen is causing the phone to lag, more over the software is. There seems to be no optimization for the hardware in the phone. I tried a GS5. Three days later I returned it. Samsung can flatten their UI all they want, it doesn't take away from the fact that TWiz uses a butt ton of RAM just SITTING there.

Again, my opinion.

StreetkillnHD

Sep 13, 2012
owning both att models and comparing side by side with images ill say the colors on the g2 has a little higher contrast making the colors brighter.
but the g3 the picture look better in quality and the colors arnt bad actually the colors are more spot on in rl colors. g2 has a little higher contrast making the colors bright than what it is.

i dont see this as an issue others might think it is.

On Other Hands.
If you dont like the contrast of the colors you can change this in the settings under accessibility / color adjustment.

contentryder

Aug 11, 2006
Houston
After coming from an S4, the colors are more accurate.

What I'm wondering is the gray effect, ghosting, holographic gray color or is it the glare? It's weird..is this the sharpening effect that people talk about? I mean, the text does look very sharp. But maybe it's just the pixel density?

Care to explain?

Lostatsea23

Apr 13, 2014
So, by the logic that's being regurgitated on these boards, with all the lag on the S5 Samsung should have went back to a 720p screen. Right?
Doesn't really lag anymore (couple of updates fixed that haha)

I'd say LG could do the same with the g3 but that may come with compromises.

---------- Post added at 12:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:41 AM ----------

What I'm wondering is the gray effect, ghosting, holographic gray color or is it the glare? It's weird..is this the sharpening effect that people talk about? I mean, the text does look very sharp. But maybe it's just the pixel density?

Care to explain?
The oversharpening isn't the pixel density. The resolution is so high fonts and such should be very smooth with no jagged edges. But many scenarios due to low contrast ratio LG applies over sharpening to the screen to make things legible. This in turn makes it look jagged.

Reactions: contentryder

Skizzy034

Mar 10, 2010
Amsterdam, NY
www.facebook.com

Care to explain?
You mean when you move the screen around? To me, it looks like half the screen is dimmer than the other. The top half is brighter. I don't wanna exchange the phone for another one because this one runs so cool and battery life is incredible, but it is kind of distracting when you notice it.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Kmac_thp

Aug 22, 2012
Elkton, MD
If Im being totally honest Im a little underwhelmed by the screen. Sure it looks good, all the phones look good now though.Its way more accurate than the M8 but I prefer the Z2 screen for sharpness and colors.

contentryder

Aug 11, 2006
Houston
The oversharpening isn't the pixel density. The resolution is so high fonts and such should be very smooth with no jagged edges. But many scenarios due to low contrast ratio LG applies over sharpening to the screen to make things legible. This in turn makes it look jagged.

You mean when you move the screen around? To me, it looks like half the screen is dimmer than the other. The top half is brighter. I don't wanna exchange the phone for another one because this one runs so cool and battery life is incredible, but it is kind of distracting when you notice it.

I think it's because I'm so used to amoled displays where viewing angles and contrast ratios are infinite. But putting it beside an HTC One M7 still looks like the display is floating with grays, kind of like a software based glare.....

Lostatsea23

Apr 13, 2014
I think it's because I'm so used to amoled displays where viewing angles and contrast ratios are infinite. But putting it beside an HTC One M7 still looks like the display is floating with grays, kind of like a software based glare.....
Well its certainly less nice to look at then the m8 IMO and Z2. Those screens were pretty nice. The z2 killed it for me though cause the high reflectivity and lower brightness.

Billy Madison

Dec 31, 2011
I must say that observers just do not rightfully compare phone displays with each other and INTENTIONALLY DO that. I've reopened phonearena's comparison and the examples they use do not show much of a difference between matrices. Except only for tiger photo which evidently shows that white is rosy on Xperia Z2

I don't even mention greenish Galaxy S5 matrix, it's just not out of this world

But the wrongfully calibrated matrix can be easily spotted when one compare more naturally looking pictures, especially with people's skin. Difference between perfectly calibrated and TRUE to LIFE display and cheap one becomes really evident

Attachments

• Z2G3.jpg
    Z2G3.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 344
  • LGG3..jpg
    LGG3..jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 337
Reactions: 18lama

ChrisM75

Nov 2, 2013
I must say that observers just do not rightfully compare phone displays with each other and INTENTIONALLY DO that. I've reopened phonearena's comparison and the examples they use do not show much of a difference between matrices. Except only for tiger photo which evidently shows that white is rosy on Xperia Z2

But the wrongfully calibrated matrix can be easily spotted when one compare more naturally looking pictures, especially with people's skin. Difference between perfectly calibrated and TRUE to LIFE display and cheap one becomes really evident

Actually the G3 has weak blues and the magentas are are pushed towards green. Unfortunately even with root we can only adjust RGB values, and those alone are not enough to correct it, we need to be able to adjust CYMK as well or at the very least CYM.

helikido

Oct 23, 2010
Actually the G3 has weak blues and the magentas are are pushed towards green. Unfortunately even with root we can only adjust RGB values, and those alone are not enough to correct it, we need to be able to adjust CYMK as well or at the very least CYM.
I dont notice weak blues. Those weak blue are natural and not iver saturated. For example the s3 and s4 that my family have tend to display the blue of the sky as very light blue while the g3 displays a slightly darker one. But the G3 has a more realistic tone.

With actaul proof i find you very credible now.

Sent from LG Gangster 3

helikido

Oct 23, 2010

Its like some kind of polorized effect huh?

Sent from LG Gangster 3

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The LG G3 has the best smartphone display I've seen: It's sharp, but it's also bright and has great color. The colors don't pop quite as much as on some of the better SuperAMOLED screens I've seen (such as on the just-announced Samsung Galaxy Tab S), but the sharpness is off the charts.

Comparing the G3's display to the one on the HTC One M8 (my current favorite Android phone), I felt the LG's was just as sharp, and a few details — such as drop shadows in Evernote — stood out slightly more. And even though colors weren't as vivid as on the HTC, the G3 had more natural skin tones

From Mashable's review. Everyone's eyes are different I guess.

Contrast was superb. Black text on white background — one of the most essential things a smartphone, or any display, needs to get right — really stood out. The ultra-sharp characters nearly jumped off the screen, and I couldn't discern individual pixels, no matter how close I put my eye to the screen.

So the LG G3's Quad HD display is more than just hype. But only a bit. There's nothing wrong with the HTC One M8's screen — or the Samsung Galaxy S5's or the iPhone 5S's for that matter. They're still mighty sharp, and can display great images, just not quite as sharply or as impressively as the LG G3.

---------- Post added at 06:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:24 AM ----------

Contrast and black levels are bad , i can garantee u that

IwvNc.gif
    I created this thread specifically for all the members to talk about the new 2k screen of the LG G3. The screen is the most important feature of the LG G3 and it is what LG brags about the most. For many of us including me, the screen will be the deciding factor of whether we buy the phone or not.How does the new 2k display panel perform in real life situations compared to other high end phone display panels like the Galaxy S5 or HTC One M8? Let's have a nice dedicated thread to the most important feature on this phone. :D

Ideas to talk about:
    •Contrast levels
    •How your content looks on it
    •Your thoughts of it compared to the previous display you had.
    •Any weird issues? (Screen interlacing, ghost issues)
    •Color production
    •Do you find it nice and worthwhile?
    •How are those BLACK LEVELS (Important!)
    •Any heat issues with the screen?
    •Good high and low brightness levels?
    this is why comparison threads aren't allowed on XDA; people always feel the need to defend their choice, or slam the one they don't like.
    Its really simple folks.

If you like this phone, buy it

If you don't, don't, but don't insult or slam someone else due to THEIR decision...
    the screen is amazing, don't hate on it because of icons / themes , this phone is only released in korea currently, when it goes worldwide the eye candy will come. the screen is super bright, colors pop, blacks are black, not to mention, a HQ 1080p movie looks freaking awesome on this dude. In a few months icons and themes will come, and will blow all other competitors out of the water,.

in regards to guillaume / jimmy, as long as you have a solid phone and root access you really dont need prebuilt custom roms. if you know your way around xposed, you'll be set. the S5 may have a similar, yet smaller screen, hell, even a better snapdragon cpu (though that model is currently restricted to korea), it still looks / feels crap, and afaik still only has 2gb ram,

:)
    Contrast and black levels are bad , i can garantee u that

How can you? :confused: