kexec bootloader bypass coming in a few days

Search This thread

Hashcode

Senior Recognized Developer
Sep 3, 2011
Right now the new kernel has a display issue that both me and jonpry are working through.

Situation is like this:
- We now has a new 3.0 kernel. So it's old PowerVR drivers are out of date and can't be used.
- Can't use any of the PowerVR drivers on RAZR, Droid 4 or Bionic due to memory allocation changes in the kernel.
- Texas Instruments provides "stock" PowerVR drivers as binaries and kernel module source for developers working on their "stock" 3.0 kernel.

Solution:
- We're altering the Motorola 3.0 kernel to be more like the stock TI kernel so that these binaries will work.

Takes time. :/

And obviously w/ JB out, I'm splitting duties.

Thanks for being patient!

ovelayer

Mar 19, 2011
spokane
Right now the new kernel has a display issue that both me and jonpry are working through.

Situation is like this:
- We now has a new 3.0 kernel. So it's old PowerVR drivers are out of date and can't be used.
- Can't use any of the PowerVR drivers on RAZR, Droid 4 or Bionic due to memory allocation changes in the kernel.
- Texas Instruments provides "stock" PowerVR drivers as binaries and kernel module source for developers working on their "stock" 3.0 kernel.

Solution:
- We're altering the Motorola 3.0 kernel to be more like the stock TI kernel so that these binaries will work.

rather you take your time so its done right then rush and have errors and have to keep redoing..we love you lol

ChaoticWeaponry

Oct 23, 2011
I'm not sure if this idea is far-fetched, but since we are bypassing the bootloader, shouldn't there be some kind of way to replace the bootloader altogether? Or unlock it? I'm not educated in the world of bootloaders so if someone has some information to share, it'd be greatly appreciated :)

Sent from my DROID3 using XDA

MyNarwhalBacon

Nov 1, 2008
So-Cal
Google Pixel 7 Pro
I'm not sure if this idea is far-fetched, but since we are bypassing the bootloader, shouldn't there be some kind of way to replace the bootloader altogether? Or unlock it? I'm not educated in the world of bootloaders so if someone has some information to share, it'd be greatly appreciated :)

Sent from my DROID3 using XDA

Kexec isn't really a bootloader bypass, It's more like running ubuntu from a flash drive on your windows machine. Windows is still there on your computer, but you are able to run a different OS without it really doing anything to your computer. We have to get the encryption keys from moto to get past the bootloader... Which I don't see happening.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Situation is like this:

Solution:

From my end, I have a very set focus at the moment.

#1 for me is getting the new kernel merged up to a point where it can use all of the goodies I have for it.

This is a fairly long process starting with a grueling merge of code that I'm on day #4 of. Then, I get to debug the thing for days/weeks until most the kernels are resolved,. This includes turning back on the rpmsg system and debugging memory allocation issues that we had previously.

Only after that, do we finally get to see how effective this new ducati runs on the D3, and if it will work with our camera hardware, etc.

So sound issues aside, I still have several days/weeks before I can see a new bootup of the kernel in what I consider a really usable state.

#2 Once the new kernel is functional, I can choose 1 of 2 paths:
    A) I could work on kexec binaries to use the new kernel on the other phones. This would be needed before we could test it on the RAZR and compare audio notes.
    B) I could continue to troubleshoot the D3's audio w/o a reference point like the RAZR and see where it goes.

I'm not sure I would call that "back burner" :p

Sent from my XT894 using Tapatalk 2
    Quick status update:
    - I have successfully tested video decoding using the new ducati on the Kindle Fire (doesn't have a camera)
    - And I'm now working on the new Moto kernel bringing it up-to-date so it can use the same drivers and ducati as the KFire, and once done it will be easier to update straight from TI. The new kernel version is 4AI.1.6 (3.0.31 mainline) for those that are curious.

Reading this thread and thinking about it some more, I will continue to do ICS builds as it's ready for the new codecs w/o any additional changes (once the kernel is done). Be nice to see what's going work and what isn't.

Once ICS is running well, I'll start on JB. Which will need audio changes and a bunch of optimizations.

Thoughts?

Sent from my XT894 using Tapatalk 2
    Starting the "big merge" to add the functionality to this kernel that the D3 would need to fully operate under ICS:
    - Stuff like updated PowerVR binaries
    - Update WLAN drivers and firmware
    - Handling for 512MB codecs (may only be HD codecs not camera-- testing will tell)
    - Etc

You can see the new kernel developing here:
    http://gitorious.org/droid3-kexec/droid3-kexec-kernel/commits/3.0.8-dev

Right now I'm debugging the rpmsg sub-system which loads the HD codec binary (ducati).
    I have a new version of Safestrap which handles the kexec load as part of the ROM.

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 2