TowelRoot for Htc one m7

Search This thread

[1up]

Aug 30, 2011
Hello everyone i am new to the htc one and i know about that temp root method released by justincase. However i recently became aware of TowelRoot, released by geohot. Which apparently is a new way of achieving permanent root for all unpatched roms, which includes the verizon htc one m7. However the device is system/write protected with S-on as i understand. So do i need to temproot, s=off using firewater, then use TowelRoot to permanently root my phone? OR am i just dreaming. Has anyone tried this process, the root exploit is new. Any advice would be greatly appreciated i do now want to brick my device. A link to the TowelRoot article.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php...mctr=(not provided)&__utmv=-&__utmk=226061337

Reactions: nbicho

andybones

Retired Forum Moderator / Inactive RD
May 18, 2010
Google Pixel 5
Hello everyone i am new to the htc one and i know about that temp root method released by justincase. However i recently became aware of TowelRoot, released by geohot. Which apparently is a new way of achieving permanent root for all unpatched roms, which includes the verizon htc one m7. However the device is system/write protected with S-on as i understand. So do i need to temproot, s=off using firewater, then use TowelRoot to permanently root my phone? OR am i just dreaming. Has anyone tried this process, the root exploit is new. Any advice would be greatly appreciated i do now want to brick my device. A link to the TowelRoot article.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php...mctr=(not provided)&__utmv=-&__utmk=226061337

this is awesome achievement I am not trying to knock it, but for m7, s-off is s-off why not use weaksauce to temp-root then use the known working firewater for the m7?
just for curiosity sake

Reactions: ahoneybun

nsmal24

Sep 2, 2009
Weaksauce no longer works on newest update. Towelroot won't work for us currently because our /system part is write protected. Jcase has informed geohot how to handle this and he will supposedly update his exploit. Should work for us and m8 if and when that happens.

You can find this info in the rumrunner thread in m7 og development btw.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

[1up]

Aug 30, 2011
Sweet hopefully he can update it to get us m7 lovers some root action, i love verizons network but the locked bootloaders really suck. It's like driving a Ferrari with bald tires. Powerful phone is basically no more useful than my old droid2, in fact its less useful because i can't even tether or block ads, unbloat ect ect.

nsmal24

Sep 2, 2009
Sweet hopefully he can update it to get us m7 lovers some root action, i love verizons network but the locked bootloaders really suck. It's like driving a Ferrari with bald tires. Powerful phone is basically no more useful than my old droid2, in fact its less useful because i can't even tether or block ads, unbloat ect ect.

Believe me, I know. I just picked up this phone used. They had already taken the newest update. It's the only phone I've never been able to root immediately. It is definitely a lesson in patience.

That being said, foxfi works on this phone without root for tethering and disabling apps at least keeps them from running and cleans up your app drawer.

nsmal24

Sep 2, 2009
Towel root worked on my M7 S-off Unlocked. I was updated to the latest OTA and root worked.

It worked because you were already S-OFF. Those of us who just picked up the phone for whatever reason (warranty replacement, new device, etc) cannot obtain S-OFF currently because there is no root method for the newest update (firewater requires root). Once we have root, we can run firewater and obtain S-OFF. Vicious circle.

Reactions: russjr08

jpradley

Jul 6, 2010
New York
This Forum is devoted to the Verizon model of the HTC One. When you just say m7, it might be for Verizon, or AT&T,or some other carrier. If the HTC One is meant to run on Verizon,. it is model m7vzw.

georgeisdead

Jun 30, 2014
Towelroot Now works for M7

I don't know if anyone has tried this, but I have the latest update for the M7 and have been trying to gain root and S-off. If you download the latest version of towelroot then tap "welcome" 3 times, the mod strings comes up and if you change the last number from "0" to "1" then tap "Make it Rain", you can gain temporary root to the M7. Unfortunately, I still cannot find anything that gives S-off. Firewater, sunshine, rumrunner, none of them have worked. Has anyone got a working s-off exploit? Because even with towelroot, any change I make, like uninstalling bloatware, just gets undone when I reboot the phone.

---------- Post added at 01:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:11 PM ----------

I don't know if anyone has tried this, but I have the latest update for the M7 and have been trying to gain root and S-off. If you download the latest version of towelroot then tap "welcome" 3 times, the mod strings comes up and if you change the last number from "0" to "1" then tap "Make it Rain", you can gain temporary root to the M7. Unfortunately, I still cannot find anything that gives S-off. Firewater, sunshine, rumrunner, none of them have worked. Has anyone got a working s-off exploit? Because even with towelroot, any change I make, like uninstalling bloatware, just gets undone when I reboot the phone.

BTW it is the VZW M7 that I have. It is 100% stock.

georgeisdead

Jun 30, 2014
If it's actually gaining root then firewater should work.

I will try again tonight. I verified root and it is actually getting root access temporarily using the method i described. Maybe I am doing something wrong with firewater. Will post results tomorrow. Hopefully I will have some luck.

IIKeyezII

Jul 2, 2014
I also got the towelroot temp root confirmed and when I run firewater it enters root but then says "this kernel has an anti-firewater patch, get a new kernel" (not an exact quote) just got my HTC one last week with the new update, was so looking forward to getting a new ROM on this... :(

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using XDA Free mobile app

georgeisdead

Jun 30, 2014
I also got the towelroot temp root confirmed and when I run firewater it enters root but then says "this kernel has an anti-firewater patch, get a new kernel" (not an exact quote) just got my HTC one last week with the new update, was so looking forward to getting a new ROM on this... :(

I get the same message ERROR:kernel contains HTC anti-firewater patch!

Looks like we are SOL for now.

IIKeyezII

Jul 2, 2014
I get the same message ERROR:kernel contains HTC anti-firewater patch!

Looks like we are SOL for now.

Yeah another thread said firewater will not be updated for the VZWm7 but sunshine will be and they're waiting for more devices to be supported before it's released.

asacado

Jun 7, 2013
They still make 25 bucks a root pop, this is almost encouraging them to update.

beoxify

Jun 17, 2014
Yeah another thread said firewater will not be updated for the VZWm7 but sunshine will be and they're waiting for more devices to be supported before it's released.

He said he won't release his ROOT until more devices need it, not an s-off. As far as I know, there are no s-offs waiting to be released.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Weaksauce no longer works on newest update. Towelroot won't work for us currently because our /system part is write protected. Jcase has informed geohot how to handle this and he will supposedly update his exploit. Should work for us and m8 if and when that happens.

You can find this info in the rumrunner thread in m7 og development btw.

this is awesome achievement I am not trying to knock it, but for m7, s-off is s-off why not use weaksauce to temp-root then use the known working firewater for the m7?
    just for curiosity sake
    Towel root worked on my M7 S-off Unlocked. I was updated to the latest OTA and root worked.

It worked because you were already S-OFF. Those of us who just picked up the phone for whatever reason (warranty replacement, new device, etc) cannot obtain S-OFF currently because there is no root method for the newest update (firewater requires root). Once we have root, we can run firewater and obtain S-OFF. Vicious circle.