[GUIDE] INSTALLING TWRP on LGG2 (VZW, AT&T, TMobile, KT, d802, others) [UPDATED]

Search This thread

ewynn9

Jan 10, 2011
So I rooted successfully and installed ROM Manager, and installed CWM, however my phone can't boot into it. I get the android with the red triangle error.

I've also tried to flash TWRP via the instructions in this thread and went through everything successfully, but same error.

On the ATT G2

I'm having the same issue and still cant find an answer about the red triangle error.

J.Guido85

Mar 23, 2011
Buffalo
Yes assuming you are on Verizon. Also the guide is not real clear on the step where you copy the dll's put both of them in that directory. The mega lock one will over wide an existing file. The having the other in the same folder just makes it easier. I used this yesterday to put mine back to stock.

Sent from my VS980 4G using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

---------- Post added at 08:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:36 AM ----------

*overwrite not over wide

Sent from my VS980 4G using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

i actually have it for att...does that change things? what if i just wanted to remove twrp and the rom, but leave it rooted. Is there an easier method then?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

aaroncal

May 2, 2010
Kansasss
OnePlus 9
Sorry to cut in but the file names should be revised based on the latest released version, carrier, etc.. So the variance in file name should be OK as long as you know you are using the correct files for your device, just change it as you type (version, etc).. I think it might be even easier if we can just rename then after downloading before typing it all up.

Don't believe ROM manager flashes loki

Sent from my LG-D800 using xda app-developers app

jeff5347

Feb 29, 2012
Mass
I figured it out and posted in another thread.

Don't use 2.6.3.3, use the older version. 2.6.3.2, from September I believe.

Worked fine when pushing the file via Flashify. Not sure what's up with the newest version.

GM, ARE u saying don't use 3.3 at all. I have both 3.2 and 3.3 which are loki'd. Running 3.3 but I have heard nandroid backups don't restore well. I wanna try slim,vanir and such but want my backup of the stock rom in case I want to go back. Will 3.3 restore correctly or should I reinstall 3.2?

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk 2

greyhd

Apr 27, 2012

Jimi Mack

Mar 6, 2011
Long Island
I have keyed in several times the info below and each time I get "Input file is not a Loki image.... What am I doing wrong. I am on Verizon I was able to install 2.6.3.2 but I can not get 2.6.3.3 to work.

adb push loki_flash /data/local/tmp/loki_flash

adb push openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.2-g2vzw.img /data/local/tmp/openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.2-g2vzw.img

adb shell
(IF YOU DONT SEE A # prompt, type su to get it.)
cd /data/local/tmp

chmod 777 loki_flash

./loki_flash recovery /data/local/tmp/openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.2-g2vzw.img

exit

adb reboot recovery

ars0n

Feb 14, 2012
Las Vegas
I have keyed in several times the info below and each time I get "Input file is not a Loki image.... What am I doing wrong. I am on Verizon I was able to install 2.6.3.2 but I can not get 2.6.3.3 to work.

adb push openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.2-g2vzw.img /data/local/tmp/openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.2-g2vzw.img

adb shell
(IF YOU DONT SEE A # prompt, type su to get it.)
cd /data/local/tmp

chmod 777 loki_flash

exit

adb reboot recovery

first of all you need to rename the 2.6.3.2 to 2.6.3.3

but even then I was getting the same error..

Jimi Mack

Mar 6, 2011
Long Island
first of all you need to rename the 2.6.3.2 to 2.6.3.3

but even then I was getting the same error..

Thanks I know, I just coped from the OP as the example, I actually have the file named recovery.img. and have keyed in the correct file name. Yet it still always fails.
Its is at "./loki_flash recovery /data/local/tmp/recovery.img" that I get the "Input file is not a Loki image" message

Last edited:

Hallaisen

Nov 14, 2012
when i am doing the command to flash ./loki_flash recovery /data/local/tmp/openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.2-g2att.img, Im getting an error.

it responds saying

[+] loki_flash v.20
[-] input file is not a loki image.

help??

---------- Post added at 03:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:23 AM ----------

ok, So i tried option 2 and it looks like everything worked until i typed in adb reboot recovery and from there it gives me some boot error verify certificate and then goes to a black screen. i am able to turn device off and turn back on and everything is fine, But i cant seem to get twrp working. can someone please help me. I am willing to pay for your time.

---------- Post added at 03:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:08 AM ----------

Ok, So i've tried ALL 3 options and none of them worked. option 2 and 3 give me a error something like verify boot or certification., Option one gets stuck once i try to flash loki.

any ideas

exact same same issues here and have tried everything that you have tried.

i also tried flashing 2.6.3.2 afterwards, but that did nothing.

really keen to fix this. anyone got any ideas?

J.Guido85

Mar 23, 2011
Buffalo
exact same same issues here and have tried everything that you have tried.

i also tried flashing 2.6.3.2 afterwards, but that did nothing.

really keen to fix this. anyone got any ideas?

Don't use the zip file version. Use the version that was uploaded on the 25th of sept. When selecting the twrp version , you'll see a version uploaded in sept and Nov. Don't use nov's version. Use sept's version.

Hallaisen

Nov 14, 2012
Sorry forgot to mention I am on d802.ive tried both versions available for this model..

---------- Post added at 08:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:53 PM ----------

Got 2.6.3.2 working with flashify now.

solidhadriel

Apr 20, 2011
Yup, I continually get "Input file is not a Loki image." with TWRP 2.6.3.3. So I'm giving up and going to install 2.6.3.2.

Last edited:

danjus

Dec 11, 2007
New York
www.djdacha.net
Something is bad with openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.3-g2vzw

If the 2.6.3.3 is a. Zip file, that's why it won't flash. Just flash the .img and update after.

Sent from my LG-D800

I tried all options, unzipped 2.6.3.3 and took image and tried as recovery.img and tried as openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.3-g2vzw.img and alwyas is the same, MR. Loki doesn't like it, NO PASS. Only some message that is not LOKI file.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    NOTE! This guide is extremely old and likely isnt up to date. I cannot maintain it any more. If anyone is willing to take it over and fix any issues, let me know!

TOOK THE OTA AND GOT STUCK IN RECOVERY LOOP? DERP, DONT TAKE OTAS, DUH. ANYWAYS, IF YOU CANT GET INTO DOWNLOAD MODE AFTER OTA, DO THIS

GUIDE:

Thanks to Bliss who worked the exploit into Loki, Dees_Troy built TWRP for us, djkinetic, Huskehn, and myself tested.

So good news folks! TWRP is now working on LG G2 thanks to an updated loki patch from bliss. Note that Loki patch is not necessarily an unlocked bootloader, but for the end user there is basically no difference. We can flash kernels (when they exist) roms (when they exist) recoveries etc etc. A full bootloader unlock could come someday, but this is all you will need until then.

First off, if you have issues with ADB not connecting, try THESE DRIVERS

The install is super simple, and you have two or 3 options.

Download the img for your device:
    AT&T IMG DOWNLOAD THE NEWEST VERSION ONLY!!! as of writing that is 2.6.3.3
    Verizon IMG DOWNLOAD THE NEWEST VERSION ONLY!!! as of writing that is 2.6.3.3
    TMobile IMG DOWNLOAD THE NEWEST VERSION ONLY!!! as of writing that is 2.6.3.3
    Korean Telecom IMG DOWNLOAD THE NEWEST VERSION ONLY!!! as of writing that is 2.6.3.3
    d802 IMG DOWNLOAD THE NEWEST VERSION ONLY!!! as of writing that is 2.6.3.3
    For other models, click HERE and scroll down to find the files beginning with d2, and see if any of the folders sound like your model.
    NOTE FOR THESE DOWNLOADS! READ ME! UPDATE! Ok, so if you look in the download page for your device and you are getting a zip file, this is a flashable zip, but it cannot be treated the same as an IMG file in this guide. You need to flash an older one that is a .img file, and then use that to flash the newer zip.

YOU MUST ALREADY BE ROOTED! follow This guide to do so if you arent. BE AWARE THAT THIS ROOTING METHOD ONLY WORKS BEFORE TAKING THE OTA. IF YOU ARE UPDATED AND UNABLE TO ROOT, FOR NOW THE ONLY WAY IS TO FLASH BACK TO STOCK AND ROOT BEFORE THE OTA, THEN TAKE THE OTA, THEN INSTALL TWRP

NOTE THAT ALL GUIDES BELOW ARE REFERENCING THE VZW img file. Be sure to replace it with whatever version you downloaded!
    ABSOLUTELY DO NOT FLASH ANYTHING NOT MADE FOR YOU PHONE SPECIFICALLY!

OPTION 1 RECOMMENDED The way I tested it in #lg-g2 Possibly safer as loki runs some safety checks first. Download loki from github here Click download zip on the right. and go into the bin folder of the zip. push loki flash and the img like so:

Code:

adb shell
    [B][COLOR="DarkOrange"](IF YOU DONT SEE A # prompt, type su to get it.)[/COLOR][/B]
    cd /data/local/tmp

chmod 777 loki_flash

exit

adb reboot recovery
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OPTION 2 via dd. Push just the recovery img like this:
    Code:

adb shell
    [B][COLOR="DarkOrange"](IF YOU DONT SEE A # prompt, type su to get it.)[/COLOR][/B]
    cd /data/local/tmp

dd if=/data/local/tmp/openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.2-g2vzw.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/recovery

exit

adb reboot recovery

--------------------------------------------

OPTION 3 easy, untested (as of time of writing) install it from goomanager on the phone! This aparantly does work bu you have to manually browse to the file or something... anyone who's tried care to clarify?
    I tried and cant figure out where you find the recovery. I recommend Option 1 or 2 :)

----------------------------------------------

Troubleshooting:
    If you get "Failed to open aboot for reading." when following method 1, Be sure you have the # prompt, not $. If you rooted properly you should alutomatically have # in shell, but if not just type su to get it. then run the flashing command.

If you had confusion based on the pushing steps because the two img names listed in the command were different, my bad. the filenames changed while I was writing from test version to final, I missed replacing the first name in the commands. Look at the post again as it is fixed now.

If adb reboot doesnt work, make sure that "exit" command fully exited you out of the adb shell prompt. you should be at standard command prompt for that. type exit again if you arent, or heck just open a new command prompt :p

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Be happy with what you have, so soon. Be sure to thank all the devs and donate to them![/SIZE][/U]
    This works great also...this will flash the recovery for you.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2349847

Sent from my LG-D800 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    Heres a fixed version of 2.6.3.3 for verizon of the one from TWRP site that is flashable

I HAD 2.6.3.2 INSTALLED BEFORE HAND and it seems to do some patching... so i suggest you also have 2.6.3.2 installed before flashing.

openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.3-g2vzw-fixed.zip
    Can you please tell me how you did that im trying to get twrp installed on my LG g2 Sprint..

I just installed flashify from the market. You have to be rooted for it to work. You also need the twrp sprint image. I don't know if it is posted on here but you can download it from here http://goo.gl/GxRCVJ. Also I used the Kingo app to root it. You can get that here http://goo.gl/xV8iA5.

-Frank
    What? You mean no one cares whether or not I get this device only what @scrosler gets?
    I kid, I kid.

Nice work on getting TWRP on the device. Now it is time for something truly awesome to happen, now that this first step has been taken.

Thread Cleaned