[Q] Lost WiFi Calling and VoLTE After Updating

Search This thread

legendindisguise

May 24, 2007
Wondering if this is just me having problems with these updates and keeping root. My first phone I only had for a couple of months. I was rooted on NF6 and updated to BNG3 through Mobile Odin pro, after which VoLTE disappeared and WiFi calling just stays grayed out on "enabling". Completely wiped the phone, re-installed stock software and still could not get these options to work or enable. T-Mobile replaced the phone.

I now have another phone, rooted and was on NF6 and was worried about updating to BNG3 due to what happened on my first phone. I got an update notice about BNG4 and decided to download the full .tar and update through Mobile Odin pro and then flash the firmware via PC Odin. Did that and now I cannot use WiFi calling again and VoLTE is gone from call settings once again.

Is anyone else having this issue, or does it seem like I am doing something wrong? Any help or responses would be helpful before I go back to T-Mobile again.

legendindisguise

May 24, 2007
You are right, my initial information was not very detailed. I was writing in a hurry at the time. I did not notice these problems as I was out of state on business and calling over WiFi was not needed. I only use it at home as signal is not the greatest, and that is when I noticed the issue and from reading I could not find an issue relating to mine.

When I have updated, I have not cleared cache or so forth. I just used Mobile Odin with the stock .tar to get the latest update and inject root/superuser and that is pretty much it. I have after the fact, done a factory reset and PC Odin back to a stock state (no root, etc) and this has not fixed my issue with WiFi calling. I have seen other threads in regards to WiFi calling, however I have not seen anything that refers to my issue at hand after updating in the manner that I have.

Can you actually do a full backup while running a stock ROM? I have used other custom recoveries on other phones and completed backups that way but not on a stock rooted phone.

legendindisguise

May 24, 2007
Cleared cache as recommended through recovery (no change). Used PC Odin to revert back to the stock .tar the phone came with (ANE6), as well as not having root. Also no change with the problem, still cannot use Wifi calling.

Something very interesting just happened. I got a notice from T-Mobile about an update after restoring to ANE6 and I let it download and now I'm on BNG3 and Wifi calling is working, just no root right now. I can take care of that later.

Thanks for you time with trying to help and giving good information.

elesbb

Jun 20, 2010
Cleared cache as recommended through recovery (no change). Used PC Odin to revert back to the stock .tar the phone came with (ANE6), as well as not having root. Also no change with the problem, still cannot use Wifi calling.

Something very interesting just happened. I got a notice from T-Mobile about an update after restoring to ANE6 and I let it download and now I'm on BNG3 and Wifi calling is working, just no root right now. I can take care of that later.

Thanks for you time with trying to help and giving good information.

It definitely seems like a problem with mobile odin pro.

How exactly have you gone about the update process with mobile Odin?

What I would do is simply follow the threads on here that explain in details what you need to do to update and keep root. The flashing process is what is preventing you from using those features. Something is definitely not being flashed properly and carrying over from the update.

legendindisguise

May 24, 2007
It definitely seems like a problem with mobile odin pro.

How exactly have you gone about the update process with mobile Odin?

What I would do is simply follow the threads on here that explain in details what you need to do to update and keep root. The flashing process is what is preventing you from using those features. Something is definitely not being flashed properly and carrying over from the update.

These are the steps that I went by: I used this method when going from NE6 to NF6 (worked great). When I did these same steps trying to update to NG3 or NG4 is when I had problems.

Download the NF6 Full Stock TAR
Extract the single *.tar.md5 file from the downloaded ZIP in step 1
Copy this extracted file (G900TUVU1BNF6_G900TTMB1BNF6_G900TUVU1BNF6_HOME.ta r.md5) to your sdcard (I used my external sdcard)
Throw down the $4.99 and purchase Chainfire's Mobile ODIN Pro from Play Store (link)
Open Mobile ODIN PRO and click 'OK' to the warning about bootloaders and grant it root access when prompted
Scroll down to 'Open file ...' and click it.
Here I was prompted for either 'Internal SD-card' or 'External SD-card'. Select which ever location you copied the TAR to in step 3
Now select the actual folder and file for the location of the TAR you copiend in step 3
You'll be presented with the list of partitions your TAR contains. Click 'OK'
Leave all partitions as-is and be sure to check/tick both 'Enable EverRoot' and 'Inject Superuser (SuperSU)'
Optionally, you may also check to wipe Dalvik and/or data & cache. <-- Not required, but I checked 'Wipe Dalvik cache' because it's harmless.
Click 'Flash firmware'

elesbb

Jun 20, 2010
These are the steps that I went by: I used this method when going from NE6 to NF6 (worked great). When I did these same steps trying to update to NG3 or NG4 is when I had problems.

Download the NF6 Full Stock TAR
Extract the single *.tar.md5 file from the downloaded ZIP in step 1
Copy this extracted file (G900TUVU1BNF6_G900TTMB1BNF6_G900TUVU1BNF6_HOME.ta r.md5) to your sdcard (I used my external sdcard)
Throw down the $4.99 and purchase Chainfire's Mobile ODIN Pro from Play Store (link)
Open Mobile ODIN PRO and click 'OK' to the warning about bootloaders and grant it root access when prompted
Scroll down to 'Open file ...' and click it.
Here I was prompted for either 'Internal SD-card' or 'External SD-card'. Select which ever location you copied the TAR to in step 3
Now select the actual folder and file for the location of the TAR you copiend in step 3
You'll be presented with the list of partitions your TAR contains. Click 'OK'
Leave all partitions as-is and be sure to check/tick both 'Enable EverRoot' and 'Inject Superuser (SuperSU)'
Optionally, you may also check to wipe Dalvik and/or data & cache. <-- Not required, but I checked 'Wipe Dalvik cache' because it's harmless.
Click 'Flash firmware'

I think that's right. It definitely seems like something isn't being flashed properly though preventing you from using WiFi calling. After you update, what does your baseband version say?

legendindisguise

May 24, 2007
I think that's right. It definitely seems like something isn't being flashed properly though preventing you from using WiFi calling. After you update, what does your baseband version say?

I'm not 100% right now, I believe that when I was using Mobile Odin to do the updates, the baseband was staying the same. On my last attempts I used Mobile Odin to update versions and then used PC Odin to update the firmware as so everything was the same.

The phone is working now since I restored back to NE6 and it connected with T-Mobile to do OTA updates and now on NG4. I might just use CF Auto Root and not worry about Knox.

elesbb

Jun 20, 2010
I'm not 100% right now, I believe that when I was using Mobile Odin to do the updates, the baseband was staying the same. On my last attempts I used Mobile Odin to update versions and then used PC Odin to update the firmware as so everything was the same.

The phone is working now since I restored back to NE6 and it connected with T-Mobile to do OTA updates and now on NG4. I might just use CF Auto Root and not worry about Knox.

You can flash just the modem using the PC Odin. I think that is why you weren't able to use WiFi calling and such when upgrading with just mobile odin.

legendindisguise

May 24, 2007
You can flash just the modem using the PC Odin. I think that is why you weren't able to use WiFi calling and such when upgrading with just mobile odin.

I understand that. But wouldn't PC Odin the firmware include the modem when flashing? I will try just doing the modem next and see how it goes. Thanks for the advice.

elesbb

Jun 20, 2010
I understand that. But wouldn't PC Odin the firmware include the modem when flashing? I will try just doing the modem next and see how it goes. Thanks for the advice.

It does include the modem, however, they don't always get applied. I know you need to boot to stock recovery after flashing the modem, and the recovery does something, then you can reboot and it should be applied. But I am 99 percent confident that is why those things weren't working for you.

legendindisguise

May 24, 2007
It does include the modem, however, they don't always get applied. I know you need to boot to stock recovery after flashing the modem, and the recovery does something, then you can reboot and it should be applied. But I am 99 percent confident that is why those things weren't working for you.

Cool, thanks for the info and help. I will try flashing tonight and see how it goes and report back.

I appreciate both of you trying to help. I do try to read as much as possible before posting and cluttering the forums, but I could not figure this one out.

Cheers

legendindisguise

May 24, 2007

THANK YOU! That was the issue. Flashing the modem individually and now everything is working as it should. I owe you a beer my friend.

Thanks again.

erider

Jun 15, 2010
heya Legend,
I just had the same thing happen to me today when i ran pc odin to upgrade to NH5. I previously was stock rooted with NG3 and everything worked fine. Ran the firmware, rebooted to download and then installed bootloader. wifi calling was sitting at Greyed out saying enabling. never would turn on. installed TWRP 2.8 to wipe cache and dalvik and also ran a fix permissions. at that point phone wouldnt reboot, sat at Galaxy s5 splash screen. pulled battery, went back and tried to wipe again. still hung at splash. so i downgraded back to NG3 doing firmware, then bootloader. now phone boots fine but wifi calling still will not turn on. Which sucks because i just got my personal Cellspot up and runnin yesterday.
Can you tell me exactly what you did to get your wifi calling running again? or anyone else have any ideas/thoughts?

Thanks in advance
erider

legendindisguise

May 24, 2007
heya Legend,
I just had the same thing happen to me today when i ran pc odin to upgrade to NH5. I previously was stock rooted with NG3 and everything worked fine. Ran the firmware, rebooted to download and then installed bootloader. wifi calling was sitting at Greyed out saying enabling. never would turn on. installed TWRP 2.8 to wipe cache and dalvik and also ran a fix permissions. at that point phone wouldnt reboot, sat at Galaxy s5 splash screen. pulled battery, went back and tried to wipe again. still hung at splash. so i downgraded back to NG3 doing firmware, then bootloader. now phone boots fine but wifi calling still will not turn on. Which sucks because i just got my personal Cellspot up and runnin yesterday.
Can you tell me exactly what you did to get your wifi calling running again? or anyone else have any ideas/thoughts?

Thanks in advance
erider

I used PC Odin to just install the modem. Technically the firmware flash should load the modem but it didn't work for me.

This is what was recommended to me and it fixed the problem.

gspears

Mar 15, 2011
Phoenix
Damn, that did not work for me. tried flashing a few different modems too.

When you flashed the modems are you sure they actually installed? A lot of people are having problems with getting modems to stick when flashed. You have to pull the battery for several seconds before you boot into download mode then flash the modem, and after it boot go to your about device screen to make sure you have the new modem.

erider

Jun 15, 2010
When you flashed the modems are you sure they actually installed? A lot of people are having problems with getting modems to stick when flashed. You have to pull the battery for several seconds before you boot into download mode then flash the modem, and after it boot go to your about device screen to make sure you have the new modem.

Yeah i got into the habit of pulling battery every time i've flashed modems on this phone just for that reason. :/

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Nf6 to nk2 saga

I went through a similar frustrating experience with missing Volte and wifi calling stuck on enabling with my Samsung Galaxy S5 G900t on t-mobile.

I was running NF6 for over a year, having done the Mobile Odin +inject root update to NF6 (with pc Odin bootloader/modem update to nf6) from an earlier build, while keeping my knox 0x0. (I'm not sure why, given the phone is now well out of warranty.)

Perhaps always or sometime over the last year I completely lost the Volte option in the call settings menu and the wifi calling switch would just get stuck on "enabling" when turned to the on position and the only way to turn it off was with the quick notifications toggle. There were no error messages like the reg99...

Given I planned some upcoming international travel where the wifi calling may come in handy, I really wanted to get it working.

First I was searching to see if it could have been my Xposed, with the rootcloak, xprivacy, and minminguard modules. I found a few posts of people with the same enabling problem and xposed/xprivacy but nothing to narrow down the problem/fix.

Strangely, when using Samsung Phone info, of the 4 lines that listed my version, the CSC was blank. Looking in /system/ there was no csc folder.

I didn't want to lose my setup/apps/data, and because I was knox 0x0 without a custom recovery, I couldn't really make/restore nandroid backups. (perhaps I could make them with adb? And I'd used obackup and online android backup in the past, but never had to figure out how to restore if the time came.)

So,I downloaded the stock nk2 tar from the stock firmware thread and applied that, not wiping user data and injecting root, but not injecting mobile Odin with mobile odon. The reboot came up ok, and I still had root, and my data, though I think S health was doing the force close thing. Then I used pc Odin to install the bootloader/modem separate downloads and they seemed to stick. But my CSC line was still blank. I did the bootloader/modem files again after pulling the battery, and turned off auto reboot, and then after flashing I booted into recovery and could see the text about a multi-csc having been successfully applied. But csc still was missing.

Then I decided to flash the whole nk2 tar (with the cp, second one from top section?) with pc Odin, not wiping data, but clearing Dalvik cache.

This at least gave me nk2 on all lines including csc in samsung phone info, and the volte option was showing up in the settings menu, but no progress on wifi calling, still stuck enabling.

So I used titanium backup to backup all of my user apps and data (and sadly not my sms history) and booted to stock recovery and cleared data and cache, and booted up to the setup screen.

This gave me the chance to setup a new dropbox account with 50gb data for the year, and after logging into a few accounts, I noticed wifi calling was working!

But samsung backup and restore was trying to restore my sms/mms log from the cloud and kept erroring out and I quickly noticed that my messaging app was freezing when trying to do nearly anything in it. So I had to wipe data again, and this time only restore call rejection settings.

Then i followed the directions in the nh5/nk2 root with ne6/towelroot thread, installing the ne6 bootloader with Odin, disabling lookout, running towelroot and supersu, disabling knox, then booting back to download mode and reinstalling the nk2 bootloader.

Success! Volte and wifi calling still there and working and I had root on nk2 now.

I restored my apps (1 by 1) with titanium backup and rebooted a few times, making sure wifi calling was still on, tested a few wifi calls.

Then I installed xposed again with the installer and after a reboot my modules were already active, and wifi calling still worked.

Finally, I had to go through each section of settings to make sure that i selected all of the previous options thatI manually copied down into a text file in case I ever need to do something like this again.

Hope my experience/story helps anyone else who finds themselves in a similar situation.

I think the moral of the story is that I should stop buying phones that go out of their way to restrict the use/ability to block ads and apps from accessing the Internet when they don't need it. And i am thankful for my microSD which allows me to easily keep titanium app backups (and nandroid when finally give up knox 0x0) that survive a full reset/data wipe, to get me back in business within a few hours instead of days reinstalling and logging into and configuring apps.