Windows Mobile - Services - less is NEVER more.

Do you use the MyPhone Service; Did it increase the perceived value of WM Devices?

• Yes, I use MyPhone & killing it is a bad move.

Votes: 70 80.5%
  • I have never used the MyPhone service.

Votes: 17 19.5%

• Total voters
Search This thread

sTe

Mar 16, 2005
Sync Old SMS

Hi,

I'm in the same boat too ... more around saving / syncing SMS -- I dont know what the skydrive offers ... if it allows syncing SMS to and from it or to move to another account.

But as an alternative I'm now sycing my phone to to my exchange 2010 service (office 365) -- which works great. However, it only syncs new SMS after the partnership has been setup. I dont seem to find a way to move the old SMS to my account.

I thought about using Jeyo to drag and drop ... but it doesnt save the SMS in the new form view that Outlook 2010 supports... so the icon doesnt match an SMS etc.

Has anyone got any other ideas?

Cheers.

prabhat

SMS Sync (or I will say complete Mobile Sync) is now a known issue since M$ declared to stop its My Phone service, as My Phone service was a great solution form M$ for complete mobile "Sync" (NOT Backup, we have many backup solutions, but no Complete Sync solution yet).

I dont think we have any other free Cloud Sync for mobile that offer SMS yet. We have Google Sync which is a good service from Google (after Microsoft Licensed ActiveSync to Google and started loosing all Sync market :)) but still does not support SMS yet :(.

Now a days we have several other FREE Cloud Based Services like Sugersync, DropBox, Amazon Cloud Drive and bit of Sky Drive but these are for general purpose sync only. Infact SugerSync offer a bit of Mobile documents but not SMS :(.

Lets hope some provider will include SMS soon, till then we need to depend on Backup & Restore ONLY :( (I hate to backup & restore but no other choice now.)

Thanks.

prabhat

Though in my opinion not quite as good as myphone the mIQ backup seems to be a decent alternative. Any views on it anyone ?

This seems to be promising and all good so far :). So now I can use MyPhone to get all my stuffs from MS and Sync to m:IQ :). Great.
We need to see how the sync is working for all supported components like 2 way sync for all components...

Last edited:

meltwater

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 28, 2009
Though in my opinion not quite as good as myphone the mIQ backup seems to be a decent alternative. Any views on it anyone ?

Just started trying this, seems to be quite a good alternative. I only used MyPhone periodically to do a back up before a flash or something, so it meets my needs perfectly. Plus the possibility to transfer everything to an android rom if I switch is even better!

Things which would improve the M:IQ service:
- Remove the following WEB limit on messages and call logs:
"Although m:IQ backs up all your text messages and call logs, the website is currently limited to the 100 most recent calls and messages." Apparently this is temporary (and they are still stored if you need to restore them).
- 1st sync should check with the user what settings to use beforehand (i.e. if you want photos and videos synced)
- Selectable schedule for sync (rather than continuously/manual only)
- Selectable folders for photo/video backup (perhaps option only to sync these when on wifi only rather than a data plan...)
Apparently it looks in these folders only for Windows Mobile (My Pictures, My Videos, DCIM)
- Option to back up/restore to a file (for those of us who'd like to make a CD copy from time to time).

Anyway, from reading the site, it seems like a great service and it looks like they are keen to improve it (they have list of known issues it seems - although I've noticed some of them are already fixed!).

Good luck to them, everyone switching over from MyPhone will hopefully help them (assuming more users == more funding for them!).

Another thing I have noticed is the HTC facebook contact links are stored, which suggests that should work ok.

Should also be able to find out if the calender duplicates are caused from MyPhone or outlook (I suspect the latter, although it was obviously a known issue since the MyPhone site had specific options for removing duplicates...classic MS fix there...rather than stopping them being created in the first place...).

Last edited:
Reactions: jb789

jb789

Nov 6, 2009
Mmm... desiccant
There doesn't seem to be any option for setting a schedule for the automatic sync option

...Things which would improve the M:IQ service:
- Selectable schedule for sync (rather than continuously/manual only)
Their help page says:
To control synchronization-related settings, you'll need to open the m:IQ Mobile client on your phone, and hit Settings or Items to Sync, where you can control what gets synced, how frequently sync happens, whether or not you'd like to override default privacy settings, and a host of other options.
I won't have a chance to try MIQ for a while, but this implies you can select more than just continuous or manual sync, right? :confused:

EvilBetty

Oct 24, 2007
This is total crap. I bought my HD2 the day they were released with a 2 year contract, and before my contract is even up MS is already discontinuing built in services?!

I can't move to a new phone yet and am still on the fence as to what OS to go to. As of right now Android is not an option due to having no Garmin or TomTom apps. Their built in navigation is worthless in some of the areas i end up with no signal.

Many (of the few) available apps had moved to only being distributed via Marketplace. Are they going to reappear on a different site for cab / exe download?!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Alternative

and MyPhone is one of the key points to WHY I have a wm6.5 phone after all.. this, and compatibility with older mobile software. :(

If someone finds a replacement app, I would be glad to know it too.

For me this was a reason to go back to Funambol. Syncs my phones to Windows and Linux. Hope there will be support to Phone 7...
    Not too disappointed now ...

Actually figured out that Outlook Web Access allows you to remotely wipe your device if you're using an Exchange Server. Excellent.

Looks like I'll be sticking with my HD2 for the foreseeable future, love it!
    It had and still has no future whatsoever,
    Many a company still uses WinMo because of its brilliant Microsoft Exchange support.

Explain all the websites dedicated to free Windows Mobile apps then.

*cough, cough*Windows Mobile 6.5/6.5.5*cough, cough* I can use my HTC Universal and Dell Axim, using VGA and QVGA respectively, just fine with my fingers.

You must be one of the few people still adamant on using Windows XP and whining about not getting full support on it.
    Now you're just trolling. WinXP is 10 years old, WinMo 6.5 came out in 2009, 6.5.x was released in Feb 2010, and XP was released in 2001. Big difference. VISTA is older than WinMo 6.5.x, for f%^%g crying out loud.
    Hey guys,

This was always going to be an interesting debate, but lets watch the tone please. Im sure we can all get our point across without profanities or flaming :)
    Thanks.