Rogers/ATT Galaxy S3 Root/Recovery Guide

Search This thread

BWolf56

Mar 25, 2011
Outaouais
Yea, did that, however, can't update to the "touch" version, tells me I have to pay for it, yet we can download it free from their website. How can I update to the touch version free?

Taken from the OP:

To Flash ClockworkMod Recovery:

Have the recovery image on the internal memory...name as "recovery.img"

Download Android Terminal Emulator from the Play Store, have the recovery image on the internal memory, run:

Once in the terminal type: su (press enter)
Then type: dd if=/sdcard/recovery.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18 (press enter)

If that doesn't work, then I'm not sure. I use TWRP, which is updated through goo.manager.

Reactions: jproy12

tesseraction

Aug 9, 2012
Helping friend put new rom on phone

So my friend has the rogers gs3 and other people helped him root his phone a while ago. They put a stock ics galaxy Samsung rom on. So he is rooted but no Cwm. Can I put the i747 Cwm on from the op without problems or if not where do I start

BWolf56

Mar 25, 2011
Outaouais
So my friend has the rogers gs3 and other people helped him root his phone a while ago. They put a stock ics galaxy Samsung rom on. So he is rooted but no Cwm. Can I put the i747 Cwm on from the op without problems or if not where do I start

There's no difference between the I747 and the I747m, it's just to say that it's the canadian version. So anything you find here for the AT&T will work on it.

Also, you can install TWRP recovery using goo.manager (from the play store) as a alternative.

tesseraction

Aug 9, 2012
There's no difference between the I747 and the I747m, it's just to say that it's the canadian version. So anything you find here for the AT&T will work on it.

Also, you can install TWRP recovery using goo.manager

(from the play store) as a alternative.

Sorry I guess I could be more clear, I meant could you put a i747 Cwm on a rooted Samsung galaxy rom

BWolf56

Mar 25, 2011
Outaouais
Sorry I guess I could be more clear, I meant could you put a i747 Cwm on a rooted Samsung galaxy rom

Yes. The recovery has nothing to do with the ROM (same goes for download mode).
You can grab ROM Manager to install cwm (non-touch) as a easier way to do it but uninstall the app once you've installed the recovery.

Once again, as a alternative recovery, you can get TWRP with goo.manager. Which has touch functions.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

tesseraction

Aug 9, 2012
Yes. The recovery has nothing to do with the ROM (same goes for download mode).
You can grab ROM Manager to install cwm (non-touch) as a easier way to do it but uninstall the app once you've installed the recovery.

Once again, as a alternative recovery, you can get TWRP with goo.manager. Which has touch functions.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

tried flashing the new rom but cwm won't allow it. His device thinks it's a galaxy nexus. No idea what to do

BWolf56

Mar 25, 2011
Outaouais
tried flashing the new rom but cwm won't allow it. His device thinks it's a galaxy nexus. No idea what to do

Backup his stuff (can use Titanium Backup) and copy his files/pics and such on a pc or cloud sotrage.

Get Odin pre-rooted for his carrier (look in the OP), follow instructions to flash it. From there, install the recovery and finally, flash the ROM he wants.

Before doing all that though... Make sure he actually has a SGH-747 or SGH-747m. Otherwise, you'll brick the phone.

tesseraction

Aug 9, 2012
Backup his stuff (can use Titanium Backup) and copy his files/pics and such on a pc or cloud sotrage.

Get Odin pre-rooted for his carrier (look in the OP), follow instructions to flash it. From there, install the recovery and finally, flash the ROM he wants.

Before doing all that though... Make sure he actually has a SGH-747 or SGH-747m. Otherwise, you'll brick the phone.

He has a mac so can't use Odin. Yes it's actually a the i747 I have no idea how his friends did this never heard of doing that. Can he use heimindall or whatever?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    People worked hard to get this where it is now but I had to search through a BUNCH of different posts to find the proper recovery images, files, etc. Thought I would put everything here so it takes a shorter amount of time to get it done:

*NOTE: UPDATED, THIS IS FOR ALL 747 MODELS, JUST GET THE RIGHT ROOTED ROM FOR YOUR CARRIER BELOW*

To Root The Galaxy S3 (Rogers SGH-I747M Model & Others) - And Use a Custom Rom If You Wish

1. Download Odin 3.07+ and the Samsung S3 Drivers here:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1722686

2. Download the LATEST clockwork Recovery Image Here:

http://www.clockworkmod.com/rommanager

D2ATT Galaxy S3

3. Download the stock ROM: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1739426

Extract it with WinRar/7Zip.

Now for the easy part... seriously lol. How to ROOT:

1. Make sure phone is charged.

2. Install the Samsung USB Drivers with the phone disconnected.

3. With the phone booted to Android. Plug in the phone. Once the drivers install, disconnect the phone.

4. Power off the phone.

5. Put the phone in Download mode: (Hold volume down + home button, then press and hold power until download mode comes up. Then press the volume up key to continue).

6. Connect the phone to the computer again.

7. Wait for more drivers to install if need be.

8. Open "Odin3_v3.07+".

9. Only things that should be checked in Odin are: Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time.

10. Press the PDA button. Load the extracted Pre-Rooted Rogers Rom (or pre-rooted rom for your carrier). Flashing this ROM should not delete any data on the phone.

11. Once the ROM is loaded (it may take a minute or two), hit the Start button in Odin. DO NOT DISCONNECT THE PHONE.

12. Once the phone reboots you are DONE! The phone is now rooted with the stock software. You will have superuser etc. Do NOT update superuser within superuser itself. It breaks it/does not update properly in my experience.

Note: If you are coming back from another ROM to Stock, please make sure you wipe and format all partitions on your phone, then go through the above steps. Failing to do so will make your phone hang at the Samsung boot screen. If you are experiencing this, just boot into the stock recovery and wipe, then reboot.

To Flash ClockworkMod Recovery:

Have the recovery image on the internal memory...name as "recovery.img"

Download Android Terminal Emulator from the Play Store, have the recovery image on the internal memory, run:

Once in the terminal type: su (press enter)
    Then type: dd if=/sdcard/recovery.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18 (press enter)

Once the recovery is flashed, you can load Cyanogenmod 10+ from here:

http://download.cyanogenmod.org/?device=d2att&type=nightly

Newest Rogers/Bell/Telus modem/radio image (ATT is located here as well):

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1831898

USE LATEST PAGAPPS HERE!: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2397942
    Yeah should work, but I have no way to test it.

Download the rooted image for bell here (telus listed as well for those on telus): http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1739426

***Not sure if the ClockworkMod recovery for ATT will work on bell (although I dont see why i wont and you can always flash back to stock if need be) but give it a go and let us know haha***

If it doesnt work, the above link has the recovery for Bell.

AT&T, Rogers, Bell, Telus and Sasktel are all on the i747 version of the GS3. The differences (that I am aware of) between AT&T and the Canadian carriers are the modem (software that connects the phone to networks such as cellular/wifi/bluetooth) and carrier bloatware or restrictions. As mentioned above by Ka24e, make sure you use your carrier's rooted image if following this guide to root. Other than that, if something works on Rogers, I cannot see a reason why it wouldn't work for the Canadian carriers mentioned above.

The only thing I strongly recommend AGAINST flashing is an AT&T modem....this could brick your phone!
    i was wondering if i could just root my phone and not install any kind of modified recovery? if i only follow root instructions will i still receive OTA updates?

Yes you will...its the custom recovery that will cause OTA updates to fail

Sent from my SGH-I747M using xda app-developers app
    I have a question. How do I get the stock recovery back on gs3? I have a rogers one if its helpful. I was thinking I can just flash the pre rooted ROM to get the recovery then just delete the superuser apk then I'm unrooted. Is this correct? Thank you

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using XDA Premium HD app

You can flash a normal back to stock image. This will delete and remove all data and put it back to complete stock.

Stock Images here: http://samsung-updates.com/device/?id=SGH-I747M
    What's the difference between the CWM recovery you posted (5.8.4.5) and this one? http://www.epiccm.org/2012/06/cwm-recovery-on-all-sgs3-lte-variants.html :confused:

Team Epic's cwm recovery is actually for Sprint, but should work well on all devices (I used that one before switching to twrp recovery here).

The one posted in the OP is the AT&T cwm recovery, which many developers insist be used as a condition for support on their roms. If you are going with CWM, I would suggest the ATT version above for that reason.