[KERNEL][V510GPE]SleekAI Updated-JAN-22-2015

How many people are using the sleekai kernel?

• Total voters
Search This thread

sleekmason

Dec 22, 2013
Fayetteville
sleekmason.wordpress.com
SleekAI kernel for the LG G Pad 8.3 V510 (GPE)

Updated 1-22-2015 CURRENT Sleekai8.1
Both kernels updated to Fsync off (again) and a couple of small changes to code. Also changed the versions to match numerically.
Also added a new 88sleektweaks file for init.d that has preset values for voltage control undervolting, See second post for instructions and zip file. Use Trickstermod if you want fsync on.

Both Lollipop And Kitkat Versions
(Lollipop version also works with CyanogenMod12)

Features:

Flash Through Recovery!

Interactive Governer as default
Row IO Scheduler as default
Wheatley Governer added as option (Lollipop only)
Knock_on enabled by default (Lollipop) or with
My app in the third post down (KitKat)
Sweep2Sleep enabled as an option
LCD screen control using Trickster Mod
Compiled using Linaro Toolchain cortex a15-4.9.3
o3 Compile optimizations
init.d support (zip align, etc...)
Faux Sound Control added
USB Fast Charge added
Frandom replacing Urandom
Fsync On/Off using Trickstermod
Tethering for bluetooth and usb
Exfat support for sdcards
User Space Voltage Control TricksterMod to change
Five new IO schedulers for Lollipop! Trickstermod to change
And more!

The kernel source and Commits that show the changes used for sleekai can be found here: Github

Prerequisites
Unlocked bootloader
Root
Install Busybox for init.d support
TricksterMod is recommended for changing settings

How does this work?
Start by making a backup of your boot in recovery, then:

Flash the latest version in Recovery . Proceed to the downloads below, download to your tablet, reboot into recovery and install the zip --That simple!

if you want to build your own kernel start to finish with complete instructions, you can follow my guide for rolling your own kernel HERE

Please hit "Thanks" to show your support!

DOWNLOAD HERE:
ATTACHED FILES

Attachments

• LollipopSleekai8.1.zip
    7.4 MB · Views: 481
  • KitkatSleekai8.1.zip
    7.4 MB · Views: 182
Last edited:

sleekmason

Dec 22, 2013
Fayetteville
sleekmason.wordpress.com
TO USE INIT.D SUPPORT ON YOUR DEVICE

Busybox must be installed for the init.d support file to work! (in the playstore)

You will need to add a folder named init.d to /system/etc/ in order to use this support

One example is to have your apps zip aligned on boot.

Another is to use my 88sleektweaks script to save battery
This includes undervolting values that you can adjust as neccesary, and a few WiFi tweaks.

Unzip the file to reveal the zip-align script. Then:

Copy the script to your /system/etc/init.d folder, change the permissions if needed, and reboot. Thats it!

You can tell you have it right by looking in /data for the zip align db files after you reboot.

You should change your permissions on any file in init.d to rwx r-x r-x (755)

Attachments

• zipalign.zip
    644 bytes · Views: 194
  • 88sleektweaks.zip
    578 bytes · Views: 81
Last edited:

sleekmason

Dec 22, 2013
Fayetteville
sleekmason.wordpress.com
Sleektoggle - For Knock_on and Sweep2Sleep

I made a small application using tasker that will enable Knock-on and Sweep2Sleep on devices using the kitkat kernel.

Knock-on is enabled by default in my Lollipop kernel - no app required.

The application works as a toggle, and will need to be "enabled" after every boot to use these features.

This is for your protection, as knock-on will freeze your device if enabled before or during boot.

This keeps you from having to enable these manually by adjusting the files yourself.

The knock-on feature should work on ANY 510 device, as it is native to the device.

To use:

Download and install the apk.

Put the icon from your apps somewhere on your home screen

after boot/reboot, press the icon, allow root privilages, and you are done!

You should only need to enable root the first time.

To use the features:

Simply knock twice in the center of the screen to wake up your device from standby

To put it to sleep, swipe from right to left on the lower portion of your screen.

Pressing the icon a second time does not disable the features. Restarting your device does!

Attachments

• KnockOnly.apk
    1 MB · Views: 150
Last edited:

edru

Dec 10, 2008
Austin
Glad to see some dev on this device finally. Will flash it tonight and report if i have any issues.

cdkg

Sep 30, 2006
A lone V510 dev emerges!!! Thank you!

Sent from my LG-V510 using Tapatalk

sleekmason

Dec 22, 2013
Fayetteville
sleekmason.wordpress.com
--Update--

Kernel recompiled using the latest Linaro toolchain 4.9.3

Gamma corrected on the tablet with no further optimization needed

And the latest Antutu benchmark for the 510 with the latest Lollipop kernel: 31,526 See attachments.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-01-03-16-01-16.png
    Screenshot_2015-01-03-16-01-16.png
    141.9 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:

gunnyman

Apr 12, 2010
Greenville SC
going to give this a go right now. :)

---------- Post added at 01:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:49 PM ----------

Gamma looks GREAT!

nice job sir. Thank you.

schalmers

Apr 17, 2010
OnePlus 7T
Google Pixel 6
Hi Sleekmason,

I tried your kernel by booting it but not doing the permanent flash to the tablet and something that I noticed is that when I am booted using your kernel I can't see or use my sdcard1 (external sd). When I boot off the normal stock kernel the sdcard1 is available again. I tried 2x and same result each time. Am I having bad luck and others can see their external sd card? The extra 64GB of storage is critical for me so even though I would like to try more your kernel and the improvements you have made I can't without the external SD card working. Please let me know if you know a solution. I don't know if this makes any difference but I have done the platform.xml change to be able to write on the external SD, that is the only change to the stock GPE Rom besides rooting. Thank you

sleekmason

Dec 22, 2013
Fayetteville
sleekmason.wordpress.com
Hi Sleekmason,

I tried your kernel by booting it but not doing the permanent flash to the tablet and something that I noticed is that when I am booted using your kernel I can't see or use my sdcard1 (external sd). When I boot off the normal stock kernel the sdcard1 is available again. I tried 2x and same result each time. Am I having bad luck and others can see their external sd card? The extra 64GB of storage is critical for me so even though I would like to try more your kernel and the improvements you have made I can't without the external SD card working. Please let me know if you know a solution. I don't know if this makes any difference but I have done the platform.xml change to be able to write on the external SD, that is the only change to the stock GPE Rom besides rooting. Thank you

huh, I don't have this problem myself using es file explorer, or in my settings tab under storage.

There should be nothing in the configuration to cause the problem you report.

I have however, heard that there were issues with some of the 64 gig cards. Have you tried removing the card and reinserting? I suppose it would be possible that it needs a new initial read after changing kernels. Please let me know.
Also what file system is the card?
What are you trying to read it from?

sleekmason

Dec 22, 2013
Fayetteville
sleekmason.wordpress.com
-Update-

Kernel Added
Changelog 22 Feb 14
general setup-perf-changed to sleekai3
compiled with -o2 for optimization of code/better battery life, maybe.
general setup-kernel log buffer size changed to 14

Note* sleekai3 is pretty much the same thing as sleekai2 except the specific use of the optimize flag for the gcc compiler. Does it really change anything? Don't know yet. Wouldn't worry about changing unless you just can't resist. If I see noticable battery savings I'll let ya know. Of course, changing is easy too . . ..

general_z

Aug 28, 2011
Stockholm
jade.se
Check out "How to roll your own kernel" in my signature. There is somebody who is going to try to make a kernel for the 500. Unfortunately, without the device I cannot take the chance of making a mistake and ruining someone's day. Hopefully they will succeed!

How thoughtful of you. :) In what file(s) is the gamma fix or where is the changelog that shows it?
I'm thinking that It may be quite easy to just to mod another kernel for the v500 and put it in (like dyn.Kernel v3).

schalmers

Apr 17, 2010
OnePlus 7T
Google Pixel 6
huh, I don't have this problem myself using es file explorer, or in my settings tab under storage.

There should be nothing in the configuration to cause the problem you report.

I have however, heard that there were issues with some of the 64 gig cards. Have you tried removing the card and reinserting? I suppose it would be possible that it needs a new initial read after changing kernels. Please let me know.
Also what file system is the card?
What are you trying to read it from?

Hi Sleekmason, thank you for responding.
I tried again this time with your new v3 kernel and I get the same results. The card is a Sandisk 64GB formated as exfat. I can read it no problem when booted on stock kernel and in W7. From the tablet I check the sd card from ES FileExplorer and from the settings Storage. When I removed and re-inserted the SD card while booted on your kernel I get the option to "Mount SD" but it does not seem that it can complete the mounting.

Have you modified your platform.xml file (under system/etc/permissions) to allow writing to the SD card?
<permission name="android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE" >
add line : <group gid="media_rw" />

Without that change I could not write to the SD card but only read from it on the stock kernel / rom.

Are you able to read and write to your SD card with your kernel?

sleekmason

Dec 22, 2013
Fayetteville
sleekmason.wordpress.com
Hi Sleekmason, thank you for responding.
I tried again this time with your new v3 kernel and I get the same results. The card is a Sandisk 64GB formated as exfat. I can read it no problem when booted on stock kernel and in W7. From the tablet I check the sd card from ES FileExplorer and from the settings Storage. When I removed and re-inserted the SD card while booted on your kernel I get the option to "Mount SD" but it does not seem that it can complete the mounting.

Have you modified your platform.xml file (under system/etc/permissions) to allow writing to the SD card?
<permission name="android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE" >
add line : <group gid="media_rw" />

Without that change I could not write to the SD card but only read from it on the stock kernel / rom.

Are you able to read and write to your SD card with your kernel?

Yes, I did the fix as well. The sleekai3 is only the optimized sleekai2 (using flag -o2), so there really is not much difference.

SO, here we go, I looked up problems with the 64 bit card as I remembered reading something about them in a samsung forum. What I found this time I searched was here: http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=84&t=66346 and here in our own forum: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2575043
Basically what "they" say is that the Sandisk 64 bit cards have issues with exfat. The solution is to format in fat32. you lose a gig or two with the different format, but it works. The above link also suggests ext4 as an option, but it will not work on our device, neither will ext2. At least not mine!

Long story short is to copy your files to your computer, reformat to fat32 and put them back!

The longer story is of more interest to me. As sleekai3 is based off the original kernel source for the 510, and because I have made no changes to areas that should/could effect the reading of your card, WHY does the stock kernel you have allow it? (yes, I switched it and am assuming it is unreadable by every kernel for the sake of argument.)

This is entirely a permissions issue as far as I know. frustrating. One thing I cannot do with my card is download a file, say a zip file, to my external sd card. I can copy it after it's downloaded, I can use link2sd with no problem, everything shows up well. This indicates the need for root access by Dolphin Browser.

I had thought to edit the fstab file and simply add "users" to the options but that doesn't work. I also tried many variations of the fix in the /permissions/platform.xml as well.

I'm going to have to study permissions for the device and see what I can do to fix it for everybody if I can. I'm afraid that adding the card to root could allow for an exploit. maybe.

Anyway, reformat to fat32 and let me know how it goes! regards, sleekmason

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    SleekAI kernel for the LG G Pad 8.3 V510 (GPE)

Updated 1-22-2015 CURRENT Sleekai8.1
    Both kernels updated to Fsync off (again) and a couple of small changes to code. Also changed the versions to match numerically.
    Also added a new 88sleektweaks file for init.d that has preset values for voltage control undervolting, See second post for instructions and zip file. Use Trickstermod if you want fsync on.

Both Lollipop And Kitkat Versions
    (Lollipop version also works with CyanogenMod12)

Features:

Flash Through Recovery!

Interactive Governer as default
    Row IO Scheduler as default
    Wheatley Governer added as option (Lollipop only)
    Knock_on enabled by default (Lollipop) or with
    My app in the third post down (KitKat)
    Sweep2Sleep enabled as an option
    LCD screen control using Trickster Mod
    Compiled using Linaro Toolchain cortex a15-4.9.3
    o3 Compile optimizations
    init.d support (zip align, etc...)
    Faux Sound Control added
    USB Fast Charge added
    Frandom replacing Urandom
    Fsync On/Off using Trickstermod
    Tethering for bluetooth and usb
    Exfat support for sdcards
    User Space Voltage Control TricksterMod to change
    Five new IO schedulers for Lollipop! Trickstermod to change
    And more!

The kernel source and Commits that show the changes used for sleekai can be found here: Github

Prerequisites
    Unlocked bootloader
    Root
    Install Busybox for init.d support
    TricksterMod is recommended for changing settings

How does this work?
    Start by making a backup of your boot in recovery, then:

Flash the latest version in Recovery . Proceed to the downloads below, download to your tablet, reboot into recovery and install the zip --That simple!

if you want to build your own kernel start to finish with complete instructions, you can follow my guide for rolling your own kernel HERE

Please hit "Thanks" to show your support!

DOWNLOAD HERE:
    ATTACHED FILES
    So, I haven't released a new kernel since April 9th. Mostly because I don't see the need for any other changes. I gave serious consideration to the faux Gamma stuff, but decided against it do to the amount of uncertainty and extra code. Guess I decided it is acceptable right now.

I'm pleased to report we have about 60 users on XDA that are using my kernel,
    , and while I wish the number was higher, I still feel like I made a good contribution to the community.

Anyway, I'm still here, but I wouldn't expect another update unless Android updates the kernel version itself. I hope everybody is happy with the performance of their tablet while using sleekai, I know I am. Please do the poll in the OP! Consider it payment:) Best Regards,
    UPDATED -25 DECEMBER 2014 CHRISTMAS RELEASE!!

And what a release it is!

Have added Frandom, which is much faster than Urandom - Provides speed increase.
    Fsync control using Trickstermod on/off -see "specific" in Trickster Model for this, and several other settings. Stability vs speed.
    More logging disabled -speed increase.
    reverted a small fix to NWFPE to decrease kernel size.
    More A15_cortex optimizations.
    More writeback optimizations.
    MemUtils -memcpy - completely revamped for speed.
    Enabled non-cacheable streaming enhancements -For speed and stability
    Compiled with o3 optimizations for even further optimizations.

Turn off Fsync for speed increase. up to you, but faster if you do. Noticeable.(recommended)

*Note - This does allow for data loss if your tablet powers off unexpectedly, but only within seconds of a data change, when saving a file, etc. For normal use it's not really a factor. Mine is disabled, and the difference shows in opening/closing apps.

This kernel now ROCKS!!! Check out my new antutu score, 30724

Merry Christmas!!

There is still more to do including Gamma Control and maybe some networking tweaks.

Show your support by offering your thanks! Also, Tell me what you think!!

Regards,
    TO USE INIT.D SUPPORT ON YOUR DEVICE

Busybox must be installed for the init.d support file to work! (in the playstore)

You will need to add a folder named init.d to /system/etc/ in order to use this support

One example is to have your apps zip aligned on boot.

Another is to use my 88sleektweaks script to save battery
    This includes undervolting values that you can adjust as neccesary, and a few WiFi tweaks.

Unzip the file to reveal the zip-align script. Then:

Copy the script to your /system/etc/init.d folder, change the permissions if needed, and reboot. Thats it!

You can tell you have it right by looking in /data for the zip align db files after you reboot.

You should change your permissions on any file in init.d to rwx r-x r-x (755)
    Sleektoggle - For Knock_on and Sweep2Sleep

I made a small application using tasker that will enable Knock-on and Sweep2Sleep on devices using the kitkat kernel.

Knock-on is enabled by default in my Lollipop kernel - no app required.

The application works as a toggle, and will need to be "enabled" after every boot to use these features.

This is for your protection, as knock-on will freeze your device if enabled before or during boot.

This keeps you from having to enable these manually by adjusting the files yourself.

The knock-on feature should work on ANY 510 device, as it is native to the device.

To use:

Download and install the apk.

Put the icon from your apps somewhere on your home screen

after boot/reboot, press the icon, allow root privilages, and you are done!

You should only need to enable root the first time.

To use the features:

Simply knock twice in the center of the screen to wake up your device from standby

To put it to sleep, swipe from right to left on the lower portion of your screen.

Pressing the icon a second time does not disable the features. Restarting your device does!