Galaxy Nexus Screen - What's Normal, What's Not. (Photos!)

Search This thread

chjade84

Sep 3, 2010
Got the Nexus today and having no experience with the AMOLED screens (iPhones and EVO before) I'm not sure what is considered normal and what is defective. I know there are plenty of threads about this, but very few examples.

Whites (Brightness 0-100%)

whites-1.gif

Greys (Brightness 0-100%)

blacks-1.gif

More Texture (bad) left, Less Texture (good) right.

nexuscompare1.jpg

Viewing Angle - UPDATE: My new Nexus has much less tint when viewed at an angle. *Colors adjusted to match as close as possible in Adobe Lightroom - and they are very close.

compareViewingAngle.jpg
nexuscompare2.jpg

Viewing Angle - At extreme angles the screen with produce an iridescent effect.

rainbownexus.jpg

Courtesy of TAMIM2007 - Left Galaxy nexus / right Galaxy 1

2c.JPG

Courtesy of iansmith

Galaxy Nexus OLED's with a black screen showing red and green pixels are indeed slightly lit even though it should be "black" (15 second exposure).

AMOLED-BLack.gif

Galaxy Nexus "black" vs LCD "black" (15 second exposure).

LCDvsAMOLED.gif

THESE ARE DEFECTS Exchange these phones... You shouldn't have to live like this!

Courtesy of asb123 - Tint Fade at 0% brightness.

tint_fade.jpg

Courtesy of staticx57 - Black spots on a dark screen. Very common issue, odds are your replacement screen will have these, too.

black_spots.jpg

Courtesy of blackhand1001 - Image Retention issues.

image_retention.jpg

Courtesy of tonnytech - Banding and Transparent Lines

banding.jpg
lines.jpg

If other people want to add their own pictures for analysis I'll try and add them to the first post so people new to the AMOLED world can feel better about theirs/exchange for a new one.

Last edited:

adrianr514

May 8, 2010
normal with a pentile display same thing happened with the nexus s the rgb settings arent exactly correct

wadyas

Jul 9, 2010
I came from a SGS2 and I can say the banding/lines/grey dots are much worse. The S2 seemed more glossy and colours seemed richer than the matt styled newspaper type of screen that the nexus has. I am quite annoyed as this was not mentioned in any of then reviews.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA App

Reactions: 5pace and dsass600

leechy

May 3, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
very useful post, thanks OP. i just picked up the gn two days ago, and the screen is bothering me as well. i havent done as rigorous testing as the OP, but i definitely notice similar banding at lower brightnesses. from what it sounds like, it is normal. :(

i came from a nexus s 4g and gs2, i've never noticed this problem with AMOLEDs in the past. very disappointing so far.

melterx12

Dec 6, 2009
New York City
I came from a SGS2 and I can say the banding/lines/grey dots are much worse. The S2 seemed more glossy and colours seemed richer than the matt styled newspaper type of screen that the nexus has. I am quite annoyed as this was not mentioned in any of then reviews.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA App

that's because the sgs2 does not use pentile, it uses full rgb, at the cost of a considerably lower resolution.

chjade84

Sep 3, 2010
Updated post to include an up close look at the PenTile display pixels. Appears the same as all the others FWIW.

kms108

Sep 16, 2007
nice thread, i think you should change the title and have a mod to sticky it, this helps people not starting useless threads about their display showing tint of yellow/blue/grey etc.

chjade84

Sep 3, 2010
I think the sticky is a good idea as well. Not sure what i would need to change in the title though.

Who knows a mod? LOL

andythefan

Sep 16, 2009
Houston
I wish I had seen this thread sooner. It almost seems like no one else is complaining about this issue. I'm afraid to turn in my GNex for replacement because I'm afraid the replacement will be much worse than this.

jk0l

Oct 30, 2010
San Jose, CA
For some reasons, the AMOLED on Samsung phones (GS, GSII, etc.) are not that great with the stock settings Samsung pre-set.
Just wait until supercurio (the guy behind voodoo project) works his voodoo magic on the GN's AMOLED.
You'll be amazed.

chjade84

Sep 3, 2010
I wish I had seen this thread sooner. It almost seems like no one else is complaining about this issue. I'm afraid to turn in my GNex for replacement because I'm afraid the replacement will be much worse than this.

For what it's worth I actually took mine back for a replacement since I had what looked almost like a fingerprint under the glass - and my replacement is somewhat better.

The blue hue when seen at an angle is a little less blue and the "linen" effect is a little more subdued as well. It's definitely still there though but I think it's worth it.

Oh why didn't they just make it standard RGB like the Galaxy S II?

kms108

Sep 16, 2007
For what it's worth I actually took mine back for a replacement since I had what looked almost like a fingerprint under the glass - and my replacement is somewhat better.

The blue hue when seen at an angle is a little less blue and the "linen" effect is a little more subdued as well. It's definitely still there though but I think it's worth it.

Oh why didn't they just make it standard RGB like the Galaxy S II?

i've returned my galaxy nexus three time to the shop, and been through 5 units in the shop, problems were bright pixels, scratched screen inside and outside, random movement of the screen (like someone has been touching the screen continuously), in all cases the screen looked ok, just like the photos shown in first post, except for one that had a tint of purple/pink along the top of the screen(can only be seen in grey settings and dark rooms).

about the RGB, i dont think they have the technology to make super HD amoled display with RGB at low cost yet, but thats by guess.

RickROM

Oct 1, 2010
I went to my local Verizon store, and all of the display models looked like this. A sales person let me compare to his phone, and his looked like this also.

Seems like this is just the new standard I guess, or maybe some of us have sensitive eyes.

staticx57

Aug 31, 2008
TR, NJ
I went to my local Verizon store, and all of the display models looked like this. A sales person let me compare to his phone, and his looked like this also.

Seems like this is just the new standard I guess, or maybe some of us have sensitive eyes.

It's one of those things that once you see it you can't unsee it and it will always bother you. I had the rezound before my nexus and the capacitive buttons all leaked light onto the screens. I had to point out this fact to the sales guy cause he didnt see it. Once he did he checked all of the display models and they all had the same problem.

That being said, all phones now a days seem to have some "problem" with them and sadly you need to pick the problems that seem to bother you the least.

vaxick

Dec 17, 2007
As excited as I was for this phone, the screen alone made me return it. It's awful. It was sad comping it to my Palm Pre Plus of all instantly being amazed at how much better that screen looked compared to the Galaxy Nexus. I was never expecting to see a grainy screen full of banding.

It's also annoying no review pointed this out. I've always been annoyed at how vague most phone reviews are and the fact so many reviews just seem like they really aren't tech savvy because issues like this should be pointed out. The fact that I've read numerous reviews say the screen is absolutely gorgeous really makes me wonder if these reviewers are scared to be critical in fear of losing review units. Reviews should be critical and be picky about specifics so we don't have to discover these things after we purchase the phone.

D

Deleted member 4173854

I'm really not that impressed with the screen overall. Every unit I have seen (9) has had some issue with color consistency across the screen, or banding that never goes away at any brightness (let alone the linen effect). The screen on my fascinate (galaxy s) is downright amazing, with whites as bright as an iPhone 4 and great vibrancy. The galaxy nexus screen (every one I have seen) is washed out and yellow in comparison, almost like it has a disgusting tan film covering the screen). By itself it looks pretty good, but side by side with any other device (IPS or my galaxy s's pentile amoled) it looks like complete crap. I really don't know how Samsung screwed this up so badly and can only hope the color temperature can be changed via software to get rid of the disgusting yellow tint.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Got the Nexus today and having no experience with the AMOLED screens (iPhones and EVO before) I'm not sure what is considered normal and what is defective. I know there are plenty of threads about this, but very few examples.

Whites (Brightness 0-100%)

whites-1.gif

Greys (Brightness 0-100%)

blacks-1.gif

More Texture (bad) left, Less Texture (good) right.

nexuscompare1.jpg

Viewing Angle - UPDATE: My new Nexus has much less tint when viewed at an angle. *Colors adjusted to match as close as possible in Adobe Lightroom - and they are very close.

compareViewingAngle.jpg
    nexuscompare2.jpg

Viewing Angle - At extreme angles the screen with produce an iridescent effect.

rainbownexus.jpg

Courtesy of TAMIM2007 - Left Galaxy nexus / right Galaxy 1

2c.JPG

Courtesy of iansmith

Galaxy Nexus OLED's with a black screen showing red and green pixels are indeed slightly lit even though it should be "black" (15 second exposure).

AMOLED-BLack.gif

Galaxy Nexus "black" vs LCD "black" (15 second exposure).

LCDvsAMOLED.gif

THESE ARE DEFECTS Exchange these phones... You shouldn't have to live like this!

Courtesy of asb123 - Tint Fade at 0% brightness.

tint_fade.jpg

Courtesy of staticx57 - Black spots on a dark screen. Very common issue, odds are your replacement screen will have these, too.

black_spots.jpg

Courtesy of blackhand1001 - Image Retention issues.

image_retention.jpg

Courtesy of tonnytech - Banding and Transparent Lines

banding.jpg
    lines.jpg

If other people want to add their own pictures for analysis I'll try and add them to the first post so people new to the AMOLED world can feel better about theirs/exchange for a new one.
    So here is correctly-calibrated screen 1st one on the left. See attachment.
    Just dont deal with screen issues that you dont notice every day and are not that big problem. If in 99.9% situations the screen is ok let i be, we are still not in age where everything will be perfect. I compared display with Iphone 4S and be happy guys. It has much better colors (not sure with white). Black is much much more black and other colors are more richer. 4.0.2 factory also increased minimal brightness so this paper pattern is no longer big deal. I was really worried about display when I bought it but now everything is ok. In the evenings I switch on the screen (to look at clock) and black merges with borders and I just see beatiful screen :). btw its just Super Amoled HD not plus. Plus should be still in development and maybe it will appear in Galaxy S3 I would rather if not (it feels better if you know there isnt better display). Some models have issues but I dont know smartphone or just phone which dont.
    I found this on another thread on a different forum and it does show the inconsistencies of the display.

If you turn down brightness all the way down to the left and can see how greys might become purple.

See attached images. These are 3 different models all with brightness at the lowest from the settings menu.

Of course on mine once I turn brightness up a bit it goes back to normal, so not sure if it really means much.
    I have corrected color balance using application "Screen Adjuster 1.6"
    (it's free application)

Settings
    Red +0
    Green +0
    Blue +6

Now the color balance is much better for me :)